PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Non-mainstream anime?

Shaymin
08-04-2012, 06:20 AM
I've heard a lot of people who like anime, but they're mostly mainstream animes like:

Pokemon
Dragonball
Yu-gi-oh! (However you spell it!)
Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
Death Note

I could name more, but I can't remember all of them.

I don't really see a lot of people who like anime but it's anime that only a few people have heard of and whenever somebody mentions anime, generally the image a person who hasn't been exposed to anime will most likely be one of the animes I just listed. Usually the non-mainstream animes don't have dubs and won't plan to have dubs at all. So any non-mainstream animes? Mine, of course are the Railgun/Index anime series.

EpicCh33se
08-04-2012, 07:32 AM
Clannad isn't "main-stream", but it's popular. So I won't put that.
Hmm....
I dunno. I guess I would say Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari. The series revolves around Ararararararargi-kun (Whoops I stuttered) as he tries to solve problems related to the supernatural attached in a psychological way to a bunch of girls. The psychological problems results in altering each girl in a physical manner involving some kind of spirit. In between helping these girls, he will go about molesting little grade-schoolers, getting the crud beaten out of him by a bunch of other girls, being threatened by his girlfriend, or raping his little sister with her toothbrush. The anime is packed with witty humor, fast-changing scenes, and wordplay. LOTS of wordplay. I enjoyed the series overall and although it's kind of popular, it's not exactly extremely well known.

Kyoushiro
08-04-2012, 08:45 AM
If people don't consider Ginga Nagareboshi Gin/Ginga Densetsu Weed mainstream, then that would be my answer. I was going to say Ah! My Goddess for my answer but I'm aware that it was extremely popular at one time. Ginga has always been sort of a private haven for me.

Majorasfan
08-07-2012, 01:03 AM
Well, none of my favorite animes are mainstream in the west, but lets see.. I guess some of my favorite lesser-known ones are Hidan no Aria and Ore no Imouto

With Hidan no Aria, there's plenty of action, romance, tsundere-ness, comedy, and everything else, as well as many historical references, to keep me entertained and interested. It's only 13 episodes, and it desperately needs a second season or something, but I enjoyed it. Kugimiya Rie also voices the main girl, so it's an extra treat. = )

As for Ore no Imouto, it's more popular, and actually has a second season coming, but I love it even more; in fact, Ore no Imouto is probably one of my current favorite animes. They have an amazing tsundere that I totally relate to (I like her so much I already have a figurine of her), an amazing Kuudere with one of my favorite seiyus ever, a beautiful yandere.. and two glasses girls, if you're into that, which the main character is (lol). It's a really funny anime, and it makes a lot of jokes about the life of otakus, and I enjoyed it completely. I'll be looking forward to season 2!

Qwerty
08-07-2012, 04:05 AM
No, not HnA, please...
Jk, I enjoyed it, but it's just another giant harem with the tsundere loli as the main heroine T_T. Kinji is a complete beast though.
Oreimo was pretty good (very popular actually), though I never cared for the brocon/siscon thing.

As for my favorite, if you consider non-mainstream as non-shonenjumpbattlemangaadaptation101 (and not unpopular), than it would be Toradora!, since I loved that anime. It remains my favorite to this day.

Graph
08-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Death Note is really hipster. I love it.

ShadowMr.L
08-08-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm going with Kyo on Ginga Nagerboshi Gin/Densetsu Weed. Another one would be Hidan no Aria.

Uzi
08-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Sora no Woto because I speak the language of trumpet.

Patriot
08-12-2012, 01:30 AM
Death Note is really hipster. I love it.

Last time I checked, Death Note is pretty mainstream.

Kyoits
08-12-2012, 01:31 AM
I'll go with Ginga Nagerboshi Gin/Densetsu Weed because it's the only other thing that i can think of

Umbrony
08-12-2012, 10:42 AM
If people don't consider Ginga Nagareboshi Gin/Ginga Densetsu Weed mainstream, then that would be my answer. I was going to say Ah! My Goddess for my answer but I'm aware that it was extremely popular at one time. Ginga has always been sort of a private haven for me.

I agree with you on that one.
I myself really like Lucky Star... But I know that is mainstream. xD
Death Note is also pretty cool for me.

Shaymin
08-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Last time I checked, Death Note is pretty mainstream.

Oh yeah, you're right. *Puts on list of mainstream animes*

I agree with you on that one.
I myself really like Lucky Star... But I know that is mainstream. xD
Death Note is also pretty cool for me.

Actually, I don't consider Lucky Star mainstream. Same goes with The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. In my opinion, they're animes that are on the same level as Ore no Imouto, which is why I didn't list Lucky Star as a mainstream anime.