PDA

View Full Version : So, um, may somebody rate my team?

LuckyLapras
08-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Yeah. I'm a newbie at competitive battling so I've been building my team like I do in-game, trying to cover as many types as possible with no redundant ones. So yeah, I shall bring upon you the most graphically pleasing post you have ever seen! =P They'll all be Lv 100. I haven't got all their movesets planned either. So, I'm always fine with suggestions! =)
http://media.pldh.net/pokemon/gen5/blackwhite_animated_front/131.gif Lapras, Moves: Surf, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Toxic, Ability: Water Absorb, Nature: Rash
http://media.pldh.net/pokemon/gen5/blackwhite_animated_front/620.gif Mienshao, Moves: U-Turn, Grass Knot, Hi Jump Kick, Fake Out, Ability: Regenerator, Nature: Naughty
http://media.pldh.net/pokemon/gen5/blackwhite_animated_front/330.gif Flygon, Moves: Earthquake, Dragon Claw/Tail, Crunch, Rock Slide, Ability: Levitate, Nature: Brave
http://media.pldh.net/pokemon/gen5/blackwhite_animated_front/549.gif Lilligant, Moves: Quiver Dance, Petal Dance, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Ability: Own Tempo, Nature: Quiet
http://media.pldh.net/pokemon/gen5/blackwhite_animated_front/006.gif Charizard, Moves: Fly, Flame Charge, Brick Break, Dragon Claw, Ability: Blaze
http://media.pldh.net/pokemon/gen5/blackwhite_animated_front/604.gif Eelektross, Moves: Spark, Volt Switch, Crunch, Flash, Ability: Levitate, Nature: Sassy

Dabottle
08-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Suggestions:
Like we said on the chat, Lilligant should have Leech Seed, Sleep Powder, Quiver Dance and Giga Drain or Petal Dance. If it has Petal Dance, make sure it has the Own Tempo ability.

Also, is this for in-game or competitive?

Tropius the Tank
08-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Since your doing competetive battling, what is the tier your are using?

LuckyLapras
08-11-2012, 01:39 PM
It's for competitive. Also, I'll update the first post whenever I change my movesets or something
EDIT: Tropius, what on Earth are you talking about?

Ice
08-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Why are you making a competitive team without knowing what tier you'll be playing in? Competitive teams also need more details than in-game teams. The latter can get away with just moves and levels, but for someone to properly rate a competitive team, you need to give EVs, moves, ability, item and probably an explanation on what the Pokémon does for your team. Also, building a competitive team exactly the way you would build an in-game team generally won't yield the best results.

LuckyLapras
08-11-2012, 04:28 PM
I'm learning. I'd figured the best way to learn is to experience it. (I belive Oak tells you that in FRLG) So I asked whether there is any areas to improve (mainly in my knowledge). There. I think I've lectured you all in Oak's ways enough. Have I built my team correctly?

UbersSuck20
08-11-2012, 05:48 PM
This team is UU, if you want competitive.

Lapras: Toxic > Blizzard
Mienshao and Flygon: Hmmmm
Lilligant: HP Fire > Sleep Powder
Charizard: Solar Power > Blaze. Use a Sunny Day set with Fire Blast, HP Ice, and Focus Blast.
Eelektross: Dragon Claw > Thunder, Flamethrower > Spark

A decent team I guess.

LuckyLapras
08-11-2012, 06:13 PM
I guess I'll put what I wanna put now.
=/

Tropius the Tank
08-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Tiers are the ways that classify pokemon in competetive battling. They catergerize pokemon by their power. In competitive battling you wouldnt see a zekrom battling a Venomoth. So there are teirs that help clear up how strong each pokemon is. The Uber tier is the teir that most legendaries are in as well as a few others. OU (over used) is the teir Where there are a lot of strong pokemon but they arent quite as strong as Ubers. An example would be Alakazam. Thats not saying they cant beat them but they probrably wont be 1hit KO them. After that there is BL or (borderline) These are pokemon arent as strong as OU but Not as strong as UU (under used). After UU thers is BL2. After that there is RU (rarely Used). After that there is NU (Never used). That is a quick explanation of the tiers.
You team is mostly in UU.
EDIT:
There is also a thing called the LC (little cup). This is a tier for unevolved pokemon.

LuckyLapras
08-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Mmkay then. Let me try and put that into a text diagram. Strongest to weakest. (I was always good at this)
Uber > OU > UU > BL > BL2 > RU > LC > NU
Have I got it correct?

Tropius the Tank
08-11-2012, 06:46 PM
yup that is correct
EDIT:
whoops i totally misread that. This is how it goes.
Uber > OU > UU > BL > RU>BL2>NU>LC

LuckyLapras
08-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Darn it. I was so close as well. I don't really care about Little Cup anyway. I'll only play that with my sister and even then it'll be a breeze. So, yeah, any more suggestions? Perhaps items or something? At the moment I'll be using plates, just that, but I'm considering putting Shoal Shell in somewhere.

Dabottle
08-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Nonono. Use things like Choice Items, Life Orbs and Leftovers.

NintendoWizard11
08-11-2012, 10:17 PM
This team is UU, if you want competitive.

Lapras: Toxic > Blizzard
Mienshao and Flygon: Hmmmm
Lilligant: HP Fire > Sleep Powder
Charizard: Solar Power > Blaze. Use a Sunny Day set with Fire Blast, HP Ice, and Focus Blast.
Eelektross: Dragon Claw > Thunder, Flamethrower > Spark

A decent team I guess.

You dont know a thing about pokemon why would lapras learn toxic

Spitfire
08-11-2012, 10:25 PM

Toxic can be learned by almost any Pokemon. It also badly poisons other Pokemon which is worse than regular poison because it ends up doing a crap ton more damage. Also might I add you must not know a thing about Pokemon to say that.

Ice
08-11-2012, 10:26 PM
To poison things, NintendoWizard. It's quite simple. Speaking of, Water Absorb would be better than Shell Armor for its ability.

LuckyLapras
08-11-2012, 10:30 PM

My first reaction to finding out Lapras could learn Toxic. You'll find it can learn Thunderbolt as well. (I taught it that like 3 hours ago)

Nonono. Use things like Choice Items, Life Orbs and Leftovers.

Mmkay then. Shoal Shells still fine though, is it?

Ice
08-11-2012, 10:43 PM
You mean the Shell Bell? If so, it really should not be used except for some special cases. Generally it's better looking at items like those Lord Penguin suggested and picking them based on what each Pokémon is meant to do.

OwenDaynes
08-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Personally, I'd recommend you research competitive battling before you try making a team. I won't help you build an entirely new team, instead, I'll tell you how to use the Pokemon you've got. (Note: what I am going to tell you isn't the only way you can use these Pokemon, merely how I would. Note2: I didn't make these sets, I've taken them from the Smogon website, credit does to them for these sets.)

Lapras - Special Wall
Nature: Calm
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Moveset: Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Roar, Heal Bell/Toxic
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD

Without this Lapras set, you have no defensive Pokemon on your team, so I thought I'd give you this specially defensive set. BoltBeam gives Lapras amazing coverage, Roar is to stop Pokemon setting up against you, and you have a choice of either Heal Bell or Toxic, Heal Bell to remove the status' of your team members, or Toxic to have additional damage inflicted to your foes.

Mienshao - Scout/Revenge Killer
Nature: Naive
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
Moveset: High Jump Kick / U-Turn / Stone Edge / Hidden Power Ice
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

This is a Pokemon you send in to clean up after your other Pokemon have wrecked havoc on the opponents team. You also use Mienshao to scout for what your opponent plans to do. High Jump Kick is a must for Mienshao, U-Turn allows Mienshao to scout, Stone Edge adds coverage to Mienshao, and HP Ice makes sure Mienshao isn't walled by Gliscor.

Flygon: Physical Attacker
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Moveset: Outrage / Earthquake / U-Turn / Fire Punch
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Outrage is main move here, Earthquake is here for Dual-STAB and coverage, U-Turn is here to deal some damage and to retreat back, and Fire Punch makes sure you aren't walled by Steel types, as it would be otherwise.

Lilligant: Special Attacker
Nature: Timid/Modest
Ability: Chlorophyll
Moveset: Quiver Dance / Sleep Powder / Giga Drain / Hidden Power Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Quiver Dance boosts SpA, SpD and Spe by one stage each time it is used and it a great stat booster. Sleep Powder is here to put a stop to Lilligant's counters. Giga Drain is not only a quite powerful move, it recovers HP and you're not locked into it for 2/3 turns. Hidden Power Fire is here to hit Steel and fellow Grass types, who wall Giga Drain.

Charizard: Solar Powered
Nature: Timid
Ability: Solar Power
Moveset: Sunny Day / Air Slash / Solar Beam / Flamethrower
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Charizard is outclassed by Moltres in every way without Solar Power, problem being with this set, it has to set up the sun itself. Air Slash is a good STAB move, Solar Beam is for the Water and Ground/Rock types, and while Smogon recommends Fire Blast, I'd recommend Flamethrower, as you're already going to be hitting everything for massive damage, you don't want accuracy taken away for a little more.

Eelektross - Coiler
Nature: Careful
Moveset: Coil / Wild Charge / Dragon Tail / Substitute
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

I've chosen the Physical Eel as you have more SpA's than Atk's. Coil is Eelektross' best boosting move, and should be used when possible. Wild Charge is it's only reliable STAB move for this set, and the recoil hurts, but it will be worth it. Dragon Tail forces out Pokemon that Eelektross can't deal with, and is the only way it can deal with Ground types. Substitute is here to protect Eelektross, and will be damn near unbreakable after a few Coils.

CaptainRed1000
08-12-2012, 02:09 AM
A pretty good team!

UbersSuck20
08-12-2012, 06:17 AM
Personally, I'd recommend you research competitive battling before you try making a team. I won't help you build an entirely new team, instead, I'll tell you how to use the Pokemon you've got. (Note: what I am going to tell you isn't the only way you can use these Pokemon, merely how I would. Note2: I didn't make these sets, I've taken them from the Smogon website, credit does to them for these sets.)

Lapras - Special Wall
Surf > Thunderbolt
Without this Lapras set, you have no defensive Pokemon on your team, so I thought I'd give you this specially defensive set. BoltBeam gives Lapras amazing coverage, Roar is to stop Pokemon setting up against you, and you have a choice of either Heal Bell or Toxic, Heal Bell to remove the status' of your team members, or Toxic to have additional damage inflicted to your foes.

A flying gem set with Acrobatics is better in my opinion.
This is a Pokemon you send in to clean up after your other Pokemon have wrecked havoc on the opponents team. You also use Mienshao to scout for what your opponent plans to do. High Jump Kick is a must for Mienshao, U-Turn allows Mienshao to scout, Stone Edge adds coverage to Mienshao, and HP Ice makes sure Mienshao isn't walled by Gliscor.

A Choice Scarf set is way better.
Outrage is main move here, Earthquake is here for Dual-STAB and coverage, U-Turn is here to deal some damage and to retreat back, and Fire Punch makes sure you aren't walled by Steel types, as it would be otherwise.

I'd actually keep Leech Seed and forget Sleep Powder
Quiver Dance boosts SpA, SpD and Spe by one stage each time it is used and it a great stat booster. Sleep Powder is here to put a stop to Lilligant's counters. Giga Drain is not only a quite powerful move, it recovers HP and you're not locked into it for 2/3 turns. Hidden Power Fire is here to hit Steel and fellow Grass types, who wall Giga Drain.

Fire Blast > Flamethrower.
Charizard is outclassed by Moltres in every wayNot always. Belly Drum is another thing that Moltres wishes it had. without Solar Power, problem being with this set, it has to set up the sun itself. Air Slash is a good STAB move, Solar Beam is for the Water and Ground/Rock types, and while Smogon recommends Fire Blast, I'd recommend Flamethrower, as you're already going to be hitting everything for massive damage, you don't want accuracy taken away for a little more.

Eelektross - Coiler
I don't like defensive Eelektross at all.
I've chosen the Physical Eel as you have more SpA's than Atk's. Coil is Eelektross' best boosting move, and should be used when possible. Wild Charge is it's only reliable STAB move for this set, and the recoil hurts, but it will be worth it. Dragon Tail forces out Pokemon that Eelektross can't deal with, and is the only way it can deal with Ground types. Substitute is here to protect Eelektross, and will be damn near unbreakable after a few Coils.

The team you suggested has some flaws, but it's good.

LuckyLapras
08-12-2012, 07:45 AM
A pretty good team!
YAY! Fially! What I wanted to hear! But surely there is a lot of things I can improve upon.

The team you suggested has some flaws, but it's good.
Mmkay. Although with the moveset I've currently got Sleep Powder is good. I know someone who got completely pwned with Lilligant's move set. I guess I could renmove Sleep Powder for Teeter Dance somehow.

You mean the Shell Bell? If so, it really should not be used except for some special cases. Generally it's better looking at items like those Lord Penguin suggested and picking them based on what each Pokémon is meant to do.
Wait. THE ITEM THE GUY IN SHADES ON ROUTE 14 GAVE ME A COMPLETELY USELESS ITEM? Beofre you ask, I was looking for a Sun Stone.

Lapras - Special Wall

Charizard is outclassed by Moltres in every way without Solar Power, problem being with this set, it has to set up the sun itself. Air Slash is a good STAB move, Solar Beam is for the Water and Ground/Rock types, and while Smogon recommends Fire Blast, I'd recommend Flamethrower, as you're already going to be hitting everything for massive damage, you don't want accuracy taken away for a little more.

Eelektross - Coiler

Wait. How do I find out how many EVs they have?