PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me with competitive battling

Turtwig8402
08-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Hi i am a bit new to competitive battling.:confused: So can someone help me make a competitive team?
Edit: In white.

newsupermariobros
08-16-2012, 06:56 PM
You should get a hydreigon if you can.Their really strong but I suck at competitive battling so you'll crush me.Maybe we can battle some time.

Turtwig8402
08-16-2012, 07:01 PM
NSMB i never really have done competitive battling so i am clueless.

newsupermariobros
08-16-2012, 07:14 PM
well it depends if your doing random matchup or battling friends.If your doing random matchup then your pokemon should be at least level 50 but if your battling friends then you should have your pokemon as leveled up as possible.Make sure that you cover your weaknesses.For example Infernape learn thunderpunch to hit water types

Turtwig8402
08-16-2012, 07:35 PM
I will be battling friends NSMB... I like to know what i am fighting.

Zachgoose
08-16-2012, 08:37 PM
It depends on how good your friends are at the game. Do you think that they'd be really good?

If you need help with getting into competitive play in general, check out the guide (http://superskarmory.net/forum/showthread.php?12-The-Noob-s-Guide-to-Competitive-Play!) I posted.

But if you'd "like to know what you're fighting" and you think your friends are strong players or what Pokemon you could potentially use yourself, check this out:

http://www.smogon.com/bw/tiers/ou

Those are the top 50 or so Pokemon that are most commonly used because they're very strong (not including "Uber" Pokemon like Mewtwo and Garchomp, who have been deemed too strong for regular play). It's not to say that they are better than other Pokemon, but they are generally very useful and you should look into using some of them yourself. However, I would recommend that you take every Pokemon on that list into account when making your teams, and make sure that you have at least two or so counters for every OU Pokemon.

If you need help with the actual team building, mention some Pokemon you would like to use and I can try to give you more team members that synergize well.

super dill
08-17-2012, 12:04 AM
Im not really into competitive battling but you should use a well rounded team so if your in a battle some pokemon your weak to him have a pokemon to backfire on. As well as battling its all up to who's the better gamer as well as who has the better team so dont give up if you are in a corner anything can happen so i think thats all i can help you with as well as your team is all up to you so have fun battling friends!

CaptainRed1000
08-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Youll need all of the following:

A Tank: Something really defensive and specially defensive that can live a ton of hits (i.e. Steelix, Registeel etc)
A Healer: Someone who can heal HP and/or status conditions (Audino etc)
A Support: Someone who can give a Helping Hand (double battle) or can raise stats then Baton Pass them on to another Pokemon (single battle) (Smeargle, Mr Mime etc)
An Offence: One or Two fast Offences can sweep a good amount of the opponents team off their feet, as long as they can cover their weaknesses (Gallade, Mismagius, Weavile etc)

brecot
08-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Well you typically need all of different types.

Dragonite
08-29-2012, 02:59 AM
Use a lot of held items, especially things like Life Orb, Focus Sash, Choice items, Leftovers, Shell Bell, and other things you can get for winning in the Battle Subway.

If you play 6-on-6, it's a good idea to have strategies like Swords Dance, Calm Mind, and things of that nature. Being able to relay them to others with Baton Pass is a good idea, too.

CriticalCalla
08-29-2012, 03:23 AM
Use a lot of held items, especially things like Life Orb, Focus Sash, Choice items, Leftovers, Shell Bell, and other things you can get for winning in the Battle Subway.

If you play 6-on-6, it's a good idea to have strategies like Swords Dance, Calm Mind, and things of that nature. Being able to relay them to others with Baton Pass is a good idea, too.

Sadly, beside Zach, this has been the best advice so far. The only true way to get go at anything is trying it. Use what you think is good, see how it does. If it works, keep using it. If not try something else. Can't think of a set for something, Smogon is perfect for helping with EVs and moves. However without practice, it doesn't matter what sets you use. If you can't predict, you can't win, and the best way to get good a predicting is through practice.

Christian
09-08-2012, 01:33 PM
I was just going to refer you to Zach's post but he's done that already so all I can do is recommend you to read that and you will improve A LOT in competitive battling.

Totodile
09-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Since you are at like step 1 which is most likely : My main game team got destroyed what do I do?
Simple answer just go to Smogon.com for tips and strategies. Also check out the Pokemoshpit on Youtube.