PDA

View Full Version : The iDOLM@STER

EpicCh33se
08-20-2012, 04:08 AM
In this thread, you can discuss anything about The iDOLM@STER! You can review the games or the anime, post your favorite songs, or just say who your favorite idol is or something.
Uzi and I are probably the only ones on this site who know about this game/anime. I mean, we ARE the same person.

The iDOLM@STER is a collection of games where you, a newbie producer, try to help idols become a "Top Idol." It's a SIM/music game where you take care of the idols by selecting different choices on what to do (kind of like in a visual novel), and have your idols preform Live. The game was originally released on the Xbox 360. Many other iDOLM@STER games were released such as The iDOLM@STER SP and The iDOLM@STER Dearly Stars. A sequel titled The iDOLM@STER 2 was released on the Xbox 360 and the PS3. MANY, MANY manga adaptions were made based on the series. There were 2 anime adaptions as well. The first one being The iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia where instead of preforming on stages, the idols would fight in giant mecha robots while posing as schoolgirls. The second anime adaption was titled The iDOLM@STER. It was a lot more faithful to the games and as a result, it was highly praised.

The music in the games/anime is really good. Not only is the background music great, but the vocal tracks are FANTASTIC.
(vocal tracks are used in performances in the games)
(vocal tracks are used in performances in the anime as well as insert songs and ending songs)
There are actually A LOT of vocal tracks. All of which are sung by the respective idols in the games/anime. There have been countless albums that were released already. A few of my favorite tracks are:
Kimi wa Melody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTP_q2DAZb0
Yakusoku (TV Version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0-92a5gdks
SPOILER ALERT!
Massugu (I couldn't find the TV Version so I had to use the ending of the epsode. This MAY contain spoilers as long as you don't look at the video.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAOjojs2Dns

All in all, The iDOLM@STER is a wonderful game/anime to experience. If you haven't played the games yet, import them from Japan. And if you haven't watched the anime yet, I suggest you try it out. The anime is pretty straight forward at first, but things change as the episodes progress.

Shiningbolt
08-20-2012, 04:17 AM
Perhaps I will check out the anime since I'm back in school and UTW translated it. I actually didn't know anything about iDOLM@STER until the latest anime adaptation was released and Uzi started talking about it.
I should watch the latest adaptation, right?

Uzi
08-20-2012, 04:45 AM

Yes. Then you'll be sad that the best girl doesn't have an episode.

>mfw Chihaya

http://i.imgur.com/kNvG2.jpg

I'm really bad when it comes to emotional stuff and all but man that harder than I expected.

Getting this out of the way now:

HAMUZOU IS THE BEST GIRL.

Christian
08-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Quick question: Do you have the import the game?
Looks great, for the record.

EpicCh33se
08-20-2012, 06:04 PM

Yes, you should watch the latest adaption.

Yes, you have to import the games as they were only ever released in Japan.

Uzi
08-20-2012, 08:49 PM

You'd also have to learn Japanese.

Graph
08-20-2012, 09:42 PM
I ironically watched half of it because of Dave "Hibiki" Strider and I'm not sure if I enjoyed it or not.

Red
08-20-2012, 10:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPntjTPWgKE&feature=related
/thread

EpicCh33se
08-27-2012, 02:37 AM
There is a new iDOLM@STER game coming out in October 25, 2012 for the PSP! It's called The iDOLM@STER: Shiny Festa. It will have 3 versions (same with any other handheld iDOLM@SRER): Honey Sound, Funky Note, and Groovy Tune.
Apparently, Namco is integrating the anime art style along with the CGI art style in this game. The gameplay will be pretty similar to that of Stepmania's and will feature tracks from the games, anime, as well as new tracks all together!

There have been 2 promotional videos/trailers released already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm6bais2o7Y&feature=g-vrec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhFKqnCWzLs&feature=related

Chihaya
08-27-2012, 03:29 AM
iDOLM@STERRRR

I'm sorry, I'm a major fan of the iDOLM@STER series. I am absolutely in love with the idols and honestly listen to songs by the idols once a day. If I had nearly enough money to buy all the games and the figmas, costumes, and DLC packages I'd be so happy. Unfortunately I won't be able to get one of the newer games until I save up and get a new PSP since my old one is nearing it's end. Not to mention that [just as I did with Project DIVA] have yet to fully understand and be able to read Japanese, and not just "yes," "no," "to be continued", "next stage" and additional engrish. // uaaah

I'm so excited for Shiny Festa, though. I always look forward to new idols and music, although... I honestly can't say that I'm disappointed with any of the characters? I wasn't amazed with Hibiki or Takane at first, but I quickly grew attached to them after spazzing about iDOLM@STER 2 [and the anime]. With Eri, Ryo and Ai - the only one I was a bit weary of was Ryo, but I found his voice to be acceptable. I'm just tired of seeing extremely generic voice types? Moreso the bright voice types? I don't [i]hate the type but I grow tired of it after awhile. Ami, Mami and Miki started to irk me after a minute, unfortunately. ;;

I'm not exactly looking forward to any of the Cinderella Girls idols because of the ridiculously large amount and all of the cute. ;;

BUT - the 2012 anime, all my feels. \ o / ;;

Random, sorry. ;;

Majorasfan
08-21-2014, 03:19 PM
I just noticed there was a thread for this already, so BUMP TIMEEE

I played the translated version of the PSP games (Idolm@ster SP) this summer, and I'm currently on my fourth playthrough. I really didn't expect much from this series, but.. it really pulled me in. Like I really, REALLY like it. I produced Makoto, Iori, and Chihaya - now that I'm producing Yayoi, it feels like easy mode. I also can't do the lyrics lesson because hirigana is my mortal enemy.

As for my favorite characters and songs, I'm pretty vanilla on this, but my top 5 are:

1. Miki
2. Chihaya
3. Takane
4. Hibiki
5. Makoto

So yeah, playing through Idolm@ster Sp was interesting because Project Fairy was a thing, but that also meant I got to watch most of my favorites get wrecked by President Kuroi's isolation tactics. Playing through Missing Moon with Chihaya was especially tough because Miki.

My favorite songs include Overmaster, READY, Marionette no Kokoro, Little Match Girl, Yakusoku, and Mahou o Kakete. I got Groovy Tune on the PSP for this reason (Plus it had 3 of my top 5 favorites).

As for the anime, I explained it to a friend like this before - it's good, but the games make the experience so much better. I played the PSP games first, so knowing about 765 productions, the characters, and everything beforehand made learning about the backstory a lot more interesting. Also Chihaya and episode 20. = (
It's a good show, don't get me wrong, but I think it's kind of like watching P4 the Animation and playing P4 - you get an idea of the characters and story, but you miss out on the interactive bits that pull you into the game and universe. That's why I like im@s more than Love Live, because the games pulled me into the universe and everything (plus I like the characters and most of the songs more, but that'll take another post or thread or something to get through that).

All in all, I got into the series recently, but I'm a huge fan now. I didn't think I'd ever like idol shows, and if you're reading this and think that it's not for you, try giving the translated PSP games a shot if you can. It's well worth it, in my opinion. As for me, I'll be playing ONE FOR ALL with my new Chihaya PS3 controller waiting on better DLC to be released.

Cutiepuffle
08-22-2014, 10:55 PM
The most I know about it is from this, more specifically, the first song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xyvQQSbX5o

So yeah, not a lot.

EpicCh33se
09-13-2014, 04:55 AM
@late, but OH MY GOD HYPE CINDERELLA GIRLS ANIMEEEE

http://myanimelist.net/anime/23587/The_iDOLM@STER:_Cinderella_Girls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98WOCrGRRSg

Majorasfan
09-13-2014, 05:10 AM
I know very few of the Cinderella Girls or the Million Live Characters, but I'm excited for seeing the movie and this. I'm pretty hype. xD

Also, I plan to import One For All at some point when i get the monies. xD

Majorasfan
11-10-2014, 04:50 PM
So I'm making an update because I refuse to let this thread die. I got the iM@S CHANNEL on my PS3 a few days ago, and it's half good and half bad.

On the bright side, it has the rhythm games Shiny Festa in HD form through SHINY TV, and the graphics are still wonderful. The only free song, "We Have A Dream" is OK, but I plan to pick up the second DLC pack, containing some of my favorite songs like "READY!!!" and "Yakusoku" to buff up the experience. I might get the third at a later date, but this one is more pressing. This is an overall great thing, and I'm satisfied.

Unfortunately, the iM@S CHANNEL also has a trial of part 1 of Gravure For You!, considered the worst iM@S game of all time. I quickly found out why. It seems for the trial version, I can only talk to Haruka and take pictures of her... while she's wearing a swimsuit. So that's the entire game. No raising levels, no performances, no rhythm segments. Just gravure shoots. That's unfortunate enough, but it seems like even if I paid for the DLC, it's basically a dating sim esque situation with the other girls. Just great.

All in all though, the good will outweigh the bad as I never play Gravure For You! again. So hooray for rhythm games!