PDA

View Full Version : Why do you come on the forums?

Blue Cadet-3
08-21-2012, 06:11 AM
The forums, in their current state, only provide a more controlled environment for discussion than YouTube comments. However, most of the more prominent members of the forums already talk to each other in Skype. The chatbox allows for conversations with people that aren't in the Skype groups, but I don't see much reason other than that to come on the forums. Most of the threads in most of the sections boil down to "X or Y" and don't even go so far as to ask for justification on your position. I can only think of one thread since the forums began that I've posted in more than once and had an actually discussion that wasn't just pointless questioning. SuperSkarmory's AMA thread is unregulated and ranges from questions with depth to short questions that don't really matter to lists of 5 or more questions.

tl;dr What do you see/want out of the forums?

Growth
08-21-2012, 07:26 AM
One feature I think is quite hilarious, are the battle rankings. Sometimes they're quite boring, but the recent ones have been very good. Usually I look for Uzi's battles because he always loses and must be given the title nooblord.

While many sections are doomed here, really, I like to browse through the forums because there are sometimes well-thought out threads. Like, there are sometimes a good poll in the Video Games General section, and sometimes there's a good fanfiction in the writing section. Although the last part is quite a rare occasion, it does happen.

The reason the forums is the way it is, is because people isn't contributing their best as an effort to help the community. I mean, you can't expect a good community without some work. So, I'm trying to do my best within this community by actually posting "good" threads.

And last but not least; I enjoy going here. Sometimes, it's really fun going on the chatbox and seeing someone you haven't talked to in a while. An example would be Qwerty in my case, I enjoy talking to him alot and he's rarely here. Also, you get to exchange some good OST's here and there.

I guess these are my main reasons for coming here? I have this site open as a tab everyday all day, and just lurk.

Shiningbolt
08-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Honestly, there is no point in going here right now. The Arcade has gone stale for a big number of the competitive players, tournaments aren't really being done, and the Battle Rankings, as cool as they are, don't happen too often.

Growth has pretty much described the positive points of the forum and even the problem, so I'll just agree with the community thing. I'd like to see a better community, kind of like how this forum started in the first place. It's something that would pretty much solve most of the problems with the forum.

Too bad it's never going to happen

newsupermariobros
08-21-2012, 12:57 PM
It gives me something to do

Tuxy
08-21-2012, 01:09 PM
I have no idea...
The Arcade got boring, there usually aren't very many intersting threads and the chatbox kills brain cells.
I usually just go here, leave a random message in the chat if I feel like it and respond to threads I feel like resonding too, and sometimes it's interesting to hear what other people think about something, but that doesn't happen often. I think that having more and more people here kinda killed the community. The few friends I have I usually talk to on Skype for various reasons. So, yeah... you can consider this project somewhat failed.

brecot
08-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Sometimes life gets a little boring, sitting around the house. So now I go on the Fourms.

The Arrow
08-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Good question...

I honestly don't know. The arcade is rather boring and dull now, so I don't ever go to it anymore, so that really only leaves posting, and chatting on the ChatBox, which is always a shipwreck anyway.

I mainly only come on to reply to threads that interest me. Once school starts though, you'll probably see me on about 2 hours a week, total. I will probably never be on really.

Uzi
08-21-2012, 05:29 PM
I've stated numerous times that I'm mainly here for the community. I like meeting new people, it's why I do what I do. I spread out. When I get an interest, I spread out. I started the same thing with Smash. I stuck with it for the awesome community. Same with anime, I hopped onto different things, didn't enjoy them, and finally found a decent place to discuss anime. I've mainly stuck with the places I'm still associated with for the people, I probably wouldn't be here if 90% of the old members decided to quit.

I like seeing quality members come in, those who like to discuss things and not just use the chatbox. I enjoy reading long posts, even if I do appear to be a slacker when it comes to making longer posts.

>Most of the threads in most of the sections boil down to "X or Y" and don't even go so far as to ask for justification on your position.

This by far is the biggest problem on the forum. A forum is made for long term discussion. It's to post your opinions and discuss them with others. Not saying "My favorite comic is Punisher MAX k u mad I'm out" Most people don't want to talk about things for a long time, they just want to post once for a quick post. I hate this. When I make "good" threads I try to encourage discussion, sharing opinions and news, etc.

I'm basically here to make friends and moderate. I wish I could do a lot more. But I can't. Sucks being blue.

ShadowMr.L
08-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Do you have the Blues Uzi?

I don't know for sure why I'm still active a lot. I think it's because of how much being on this forum has made me attached to it. Maybe it's because I need somewhere to go.

It's interesting to see what crazy adventures these people on the chat-box have. Some of them I love. Some I'm neutral with. And some that make me wanna bash my head against the wall and hope Coconuts hit me in the head.

The Arcade for me was fun to an extent. There's game I don't wanna touch and games I wanna play..which is like two games.

All in all, I wanna say that I look forward to the crazy things the people here can offer. And I mean it when I say that people here are CRAZY.

Graph
08-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Because I'm sad and have nothing better to do. The community is awful and stupid, but the stupidity amuses me.

TyphlosionX
08-21-2012, 09:34 PM
I only got on when SS announced it so I got on thought it would be intresting and stuff now I really just post our chat and since I'm doing a Fan Fic I have something to do sometimes the arcade just can't wait to get a new xbox so I can play halo

Champion Cynthia
08-21-2012, 10:04 PM
Because I can~

Sammiiee13
08-22-2012, 01:43 AM
I come on one for something to do, second because people seemed really nice on here and I was hoping maybe to meet some friends with some smiler intestes ,sadly I'm a shy person and have troubles making friends. I still like to come read the formus and what everyone has to say. work and school get in the way of being on a lot but I usually try to be on once a day at some point. I enjoy reading the forums. I tried the games before once, I'm usually on my iPad and can't play them on here. But i still find it nice to come on here. I've still never tried the chat. Maybe I will soon.

sonriopoby123
08-22-2012, 02:03 AM
I......actually don't know.
I guess I get bored.
It is fun here though, meeting new people, responding to threads and stuff like that.
Too bad we don't battle like the mods do.

Flubbs
08-22-2012, 02:16 AM
I just don't like how some people will just come into threads and post two or three word responses when the thread clearly asks for an answer and your reason for having an answer. Not all threads have to have super long posts and long discussions because some questions can be answered in only a few words. But when people don't contribute to a conversation at all by just posting a very short response without any reason, others see that and they start to do it. That creates a chain effect of many people posting really short responses and just trying to up post count.

I'm not saying all members are like that, because there are some who actually like having a decent conversation. Unfortunately, the ones who don't greatly outnumber the ones who do. Even in this thread, there are some people who posted very short responses (Really? At least read the tl;dr and put some kind of effort in a post.) Pretty much, I want to see less pointless posts and more meaningful ones that actually contribute.

/rant.

CaptainRed1000
08-22-2012, 03:05 AM
IRL, there's no one who likes the same subjects as me, so it's always nice to go to the forums and meet people I can relate to. Also gives me something to do in my spare time at school :)

Shantae
08-22-2012, 05:46 AM
I have no clue why I join the forums (for real) as I found this forum link by SS twitter account. Oh, anyways... The main thing why I join the forums so that I can revive myself from old forums. As this forum had the arcade (which now become so boring lately), and the Battle Rankings which indeed stay as active as possible. As now, I do like meeting some new people in here, make good post efficiently, and just be active. Oh, the chatbox is there if people want to discuss something but some people has an Skype account. Yeah, it's not that useful. But everyone else has to chat something. Oh yeah, the natural thing for me is there are some crazy people in the forum too.

As the community itself. There one main thing I'm seeing quite alot that which is a the main problem to community is people post less than three word responses in threads. Seriously, it's not that hard to explain your post reasonably. Yea, that all I have to say about it. Overall, the community isn't perfect but at least were getting there.

Starry
08-22-2012, 05:51 AM
Sometimes life gets a little boring, sitting around the house. So now I go on the Fourms. Excatly what I was thinking.
I would be on here a little more often, if I had a computer with wifi.

Zachgoose
08-22-2012, 01:57 PM
I think the forums are fun.

Bottom line.

Everyone else should think that way too. If you're not having fun then don't visit. I'm not interested in drama. This should just be a place where SS and Pokemon fans can relax and wind down.

Sammiiee13
08-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Everyone else should think that way too. If you're not having fun then don't visit. I'm not interested in drama. This should just be a place where SS and Pokemon fans can relax and wind down

I agree. I'm not interested in drama on here, I have enough drama in my life this is like an escape from my drama at work or life. I like to relax when I.m hear. I enjoy reading the formus and everyone's post.

super dill
08-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Because i thought it would be awsome!

BreeZaps
08-23-2012, 01:57 PM
Im on the forums because...

It was a friday night around 10:00 PM I guess. When I went to SS twitter, I saw the link to the forums. I clicked on it and I started to look around. Then the next day I made a account, thinking that I was only going to stay for like 3 days. Look at where I am now!

Umbrony
09-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Before this becomes bumping...

It's to talk to all of my friends. :3 that's it. I love all of the nice people here. Even the not-so-nice ones have meaning. I love you all.

Chihaya
09-03-2012, 03:29 AM
I was referred to this site by my good irl friend, Spitfire. I was a bit hesitant on joining at first because of some things that I felt were a bit odd with the site, and occasionally hearing things that made me even more weary about it, but I cast my weariness aside and decided to give it a shot. I felt that this community would be a relatively nice one, and it has been, for the most part. I mainly come here to speak to certain users [I'm incredibly hesitant on talking to others I don't know out of my friend zone or interests//] and advice for games.

Ahh... I hope that's OK to say. ;; n ;;

narutomoon
09-03-2012, 04:05 AM
Honestly, i have no idea why i come back here... but i guess its because of the memories i have of this place, the fat that some of my good friends are here, and i like forums.
So there you go.

Patriot
09-03-2012, 04:36 AM
I originally came here for the old community of lulz that was present in the older forums, sadly, it really doesn't have the same feeling as the older forums, as the majority of the forums is flooded with 10 year old Pokemon lovers.

Uzi
09-03-2012, 01:48 PM
as the majority of the forums is flooded with 10 year old Pokemon lovers.

That's how it always was. We just grew up together and got different interests.

FelsicFurret
09-05-2012, 11:15 AM
So far, my favorite aspect of these forums is that there are a bunch of people who seem to be really intelligent and articulate...I like hearing what people like that have to say. I am also annoyed by overly short postings...but on the internet and within people in general you will not find what you like without encountering some things that you don't like...at least that's what I think.
I must also say...the battles are hilarious.

Gamersaiyan4
09-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Well I was bored one fateful Saturday night and I was watching one of Eyans MK7 vids.so he mentioned the forums and I thought an hour later that I should check it out and honestly it looked as if it was still being constructed.then I created an account (took a while on the username) and I met some pretty nice people and now I've made good friends(some in which I don't talk to very much anymore)so now I come for something to laugh at plus the community.

Gazzbonazza10
09-06-2012, 09:11 PM
I just come here to hang around on (sometimes for hours, just staring at stuff, without logging in) and it's nice some of thethings I've seen, and then it's rotten (oh wait, thats just some RL stuff..) *ahem* it's seems pleasent on here though, and I like that about this 'place', I feel welcome here... and thats always nice

Prospering
09-07-2012, 07:20 PM
I honestly don't know why I still post on this site, they haven't changed and its the same people everyday that just annoy the daylights out of me. I've taken numerous breaks and sooner or later I won't sign on again. Some people act like theyre the big chees and stuff like that. There hasn't been a new arcade game in the past month and 95% of the topics on here are just spam so people can get their post count up. Also, people in the chat always say " dead chat" for absolutely no reason which is really annoying.

Shaymin
09-12-2012, 02:44 AM
I dunno, really. I find most of the members to be lacking in the old ways of SuperSkarmory. The site does feel a little bit dead, but the sole reason I'm motivated to go on the forums now is to check to see if there is any requests in my signature shop. It may sound crazy, but I have a lot of fun making signatures for people and to see that the customers like it makes e smile.

DarkGlaceon
09-12-2012, 03:35 AM
The main reason why I come here is because I have nothing better to do... I don't go into college until October, so I hang around here... The thing is, I have been a SS fan since I first saw his walkthrough of PMD Blue Rescue Team. If PMD didn't interest me, I would likely never have come here... I am not active everyday, since forums don't interest me as much as they did a couple of years back. I was never that well known, since I don't post frequently. I have been in this community since the first forumotion forum. Anyways, I also come here because there really isn't anyone IRL that share my same interests. I can talk about whatever interests me, and there will likely be people that like the same thing I do...

~OkamiSaphira/DarkGlaceon

Majorasfan
09-12-2012, 03:39 AM
Wow. Reading this thread has sort of made me depressed, especially because everything said here is true. There really isn't a lot of long term discussion that happens - I try to foster it in the anime section since that's my current passion, but most of the threads in most places are "x or y," and that's been noticeable for a while. I'm glad to see people are enjoying the Battle Rankings though - I knew they were a good idea. xD

In any case, I come on the forums for 25% responsibility (I'm an admin, and I should be online) and 75% attachment (I like you guys, and I like the discussions I have with everyone.) Even if it's nostalgia, I have a strong sense of connection to the "SS forums" because I created the original ones, and I want to keep that feeling of being around everyone going. Sure, we've all moved on from what we were years ago, but that doesn't mean we can't still hang around here and talk, and use this website as a medium to express our thoughts, right? Skype is technically more convenient, but the forums have a different feel to them, in my opinion.

Disco Scratch
09-12-2012, 08:42 PM
I come on this forum to bump the homestuck thread and mess around.

I also would like to say I look for more scratches of the disco variety in this forum. It'd be nice if that was provided.

Leafeon
09-12-2012, 09:51 PM
the thing is...why wouldn't I!the users here are so funny at the chat box!

SilkShadow
09-13-2012, 04:34 AM
because no one will give me there skype
actually i dont even have one (yet) but will probably get one soon.
I mainly go because all of the (core) members are great people. Most of the mods are either smart or funny and generally the kind of people i aspire to be. Also, its funny to tryto get a higher rank than your current one:)

Tuxy
09-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Also, its funny to tryto get a higher rank than your current one:)

That shouldn't be a motivation for going here...
Also, many members here have their Skype on their profile, if you wanna talk to them.

Umbrony
09-13-2012, 08:54 PM
because no one will give me there skype
actually i dont even have one (yet) but will probably get one soon.
I mainly go because all of the (core) members are great people. Most of the mods are either smart or funny and generally the kind of people i aspire to be. Also, its funny to tryto get a higher rank than your current one:)

Mienshao1. It's should be on my profile. Im open for anyone to add me if you want to talk, or just need therapy like everyone else... -______-

♏Ա§♪ℂ~
09-13-2012, 10:06 PM
The formes really amuse me and i like Superskarmory in all, and the people in the formes are awesome, yes everyone of you

Kamex
09-14-2012, 01:08 AM
There are some threads that allow discussion. Have you seen the 5th gen thread? It was filled with opinions! but many users were at each other's throats. Usually opinions strike up more arguments than conversations. Not saying that I prefer "X or Y" threads, but...

Anyway I come here because I like meeting new people! New people that share common interests.

Some new people do annoy the crap out of me though, but I have to remember, I was like that too.

Davismt
09-14-2012, 02:26 AM
Interesting question. Well, for starters, I never go on the arcade anymore. The main reason I come here is to talk to my friends that I don't have on Skype, or the one's that have really inconvenient timezones for me.

Red
09-14-2012, 11:11 AM
The very first time I joined these forums about 2 years ago(I think, it wasn't long after the first vBulletin was set up) I was about 15 or so. I was wanting to make some friends to talk to while I waited for my computer to be fixed(I was using my parents' rock). Eventually, that happened but then I left the forums for reasons only some people know(rigged moderator elections *cough* this rustled me at the time). When Forumotion came back up I joined with the intent to just casually troll everbody(not being a complete a-hole/idiot). Now I don't even know why I came back. I just have this sort of attachment to the forum like what Majora said in one post and makes me come back. It is incredibly amusing to see all the drama that happens in the chatbox though.

Qwerty
09-14-2012, 11:31 PM
Cuz I can.

Tbh it's probably because I loved the old forums/I get bored and don't feel like doing anything productive.

phantomscar
09-15-2012, 01:03 AM
I'm here on these forums because it's usually 9 at night, i cant go ouside and i have nothing better to do

Kyoits
09-22-2012, 04:50 PM
I just come on because it is enjoyable to talk to other fans of SS and it just always gives me a good time.

Reiko Asagiri
09-22-2012, 06:45 PM
I came to this forum because I am a big fan of SS and I would like to talk to him and his other fans so...yeah!

ILIEKPIE
09-23-2012, 04:41 AM
This is a fun lively community that people can enjoy. I come to have a good time