PDA

View Full Version : Backtracking - Good or Bad?

Growth
08-21-2012, 08:00 AM
Just as the title explains, do you think backtracking is Good or Bad?

I've recently been playing through the Metroid series again, and these games are filled with the need of backtracking. An example would be in Metroid: Zero Mission, at the very beginning of the game you see a red door that you can't open. It turns out you need the missiles expansion to be able to open it, which you don't get until finding a certain mini boss within the area.

This also happens in games like Banjo&Kazooie, especially during the mid-game. At this point you unlock three levels at the same time; Gobi's Valley, Freezeezy Peak and Bubblegloop Swamp. All of these levels contains a move you have to learn to obtain something in the other world. A example would be the following; you can't race the polar bear in Freezeezy Peak without the Running Shoes, which you obtain in Gobi's Valley. In Gobi's Valley, you can't open a door to some guy that plays a flute to control a snake without a flying attack taught to you in Freezeezy Peak.

Personally, I think backtracking is mostly frustrating, but it require you to keep playing. I don't want to go back to old places just to find one simple thing in a room or something similar, if backtracking is involved it must be worth my time.

Although I like backtracking when it is relevant to the story. Like, going back to find a important object that gives you a nice and long cutscene or maybe some kind of dialogue between main-story characters.

tl;dr - Do you think backtracking is good or bad?

Please, leave a reasonable explanation to why you like/dislike backtracking if you decide on replying.

Uzi
08-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Backtracking has never been unappealing to me. I love revisiting areas with a maxed out skill set to see if I can reach an area that I wasn't able to gain access to before. It's why I enjoy Fallout, since you're walking around a lot and revisiting old areas because of new quests. You get to interact with the characters for yet another time.

There's also getting a reaction from NPCs when you do do some neat things, like blowing up an airplane. Those are always nice comments. In Arkham City which I'm kind of excited for due to better gameplay mechanics, you have to upgrade your skills fully to do some of the Riddler challenges according to a friend of mine. That will probably take most of the game, then you'll have to go /back/ to those areas you already visited and search them some more. That excites me because the Riddler challenges are really fun, they make Arkham Asylum more than "beat up these thugs and win, batman."

I enjoy exploring, that's why I really like Saints Row 2, Just Cause 2, and the GTA Franchise. They allow me to just roam around, and explore new places.

You also get to abuse new skills, which I love doing. Replaying the original Sly Cooper was a blast, since I was able to get all of the clue bottles easily so I could revisit levels with new skills and just see what I could do. I did the same with inFAMOUS 2, not using certain things sometimes, i.e not using the cluster grenades and using stickies instead, or using ice grenades. There's lots of fun combinations you can use, and I enjoy all of the powers.

blahblahblah, I support backtracking.

Dabottle
08-21-2012, 12:48 PM
It depends on the game, really. I love backtracking in Pikmin and Pikmin 2 because there's so much more to unlock once you have the different Pikmin. It probably also has something to do with Pikmin's wonderful environments...

In other games, it's sometimes not worth it. I can't think of a good example, so I'll say that I often skip out on Cut trees and the like in Pokémon.

Also, if backtracking gives you more insight into characters, then it's definitely worth it.

Of course, as a Fire Emblem player, I don't run into this problem very often. :3

Shiningbolt
08-21-2012, 01:17 PM
To me, backtracking is a waste of time unless doing so makes sense. It's that "it's realistic" kind of situation where you have to go back somewhere because an area got attacked, your only chance of survival is the last shelter you have gone to, or the area ahead is simply blocked off...for reasons other than "DON'T STEP ON THE FOOTPRINTS. IT'S A RARE POKEMON.".

I believe the Paper Mario series and a few others does this to some extent, but what I want to see more often is a game that actually changes when you go to previously-explored cities/towns. NPCs could have new dialogue, stand in different spots, give you "new areas" to explore, etc. If you're backtracking for a reason, you'd think the place would change based on the situation. Sometimes they will have different actions during only that scene and just turn back to their normal selves after the event is over. I'm sure a game that does something like that would be praised for the effort.

ShadowMr.L
08-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Backtracking has never been a problem for me. I don't mind going back in older levels to replay them or obtain what I missed. I think it makes the game challenging.

Judge Mandolore Shepard
08-21-2012, 02:13 PM
When it comes to backtracking, I am actually split on my decision. I find it good when you leave an area when you realize you forgot to grab something there, you can go back and grab the item. I find it bad when you can go back to an area, but it has been "cleaned up" since you first left the area, meaning that you are unable to get anything. (I'm looking at you Halo 3).

Minntul
08-21-2012, 03:46 PM
It all depends on the game. Bad backtracking is going back to place just to trigger the continuation of a story without offering anything exciting or new. Good backtracking is going back to an earlier place in the game to gain new stuff to help you that you couldn't get before, using your brand new power up to get that one object that teased you before. It's a grand satisfaction that relieves you that you finally got that out the way. It also helps you notice just how much stronger and better you've gotten at the game when you can easily breeze right through a part that gave you the most trouble, leaving you to believe that you've gotten a lot better.

A great example of backtracking I can think of is Arkham Asylum. If you want to 100% the game you're going to need to do the Riddler challenges which means you'll be backtracking, a lot. When you go to solve each Riddle, it gives you a lot of information on different characters(which is great fun to read) and it gives you a challenge map, to increase your time with the game even more, it thanks you for taking your time with the game and it offers you a lot more stuff to leave you playing even longer. That's what good backtracking is.

The Arrow
08-21-2012, 03:47 PM
I personally like backtracking as long as it isn't a huge area to go back to. You can always earn more money, experience, and items if you backtrack as well, which makes it all the more enjoyable to do.

brecot
08-21-2012, 04:30 PM
I guess it's bad, because you are going back.

Growth
08-21-2012, 05:06 PM
I guess it's bad, because you are going back.

I'm not even sure how to translate this, do you like or do you hate backtracking? The following statement has left me confused.

"I guess it's bad"

Could you perhaps tell us abit more in... detail?

Tainers14
08-21-2012, 06:44 PM
I personally dislike backtracking. Whenever one backtracks, they usually have new abilities and they are incredibly stronger than they were before. And TBH, I hate being overpowered in video games, I don't think it's that fun to go around one shotting weaker enemies, I'd rather move on to a harder area and kill myself over and over again trying to get through. I really hate it when games force you to go back to an older area and the enemies aren't updated to be stronger. Makes me really sad on the inside.

Tuxy
08-21-2012, 06:49 PM
As many people here have already said, there is a "good" and a "bad" backtracking. And as long as it doesn't take too long to get back and it's "good" backtracking (meaning things have changed and enemies are stronger), I don't complain. Otherwise it's just plain annoying.

Shantae
08-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Just like Lord Penguin said, it really depends on the game. Even that my experiences with backtracking in Pokemon Games. I don't mind, going back to places to train up if I'm not in mood to battle a gym leader or what. It can be annoying by going into far distances unless I have the Fly HM. But to answer this thread, I just don't mind going backtracking and I have reason if I forgot some stuff/items, or just to train up.

sonriopoby123
08-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Backtracking can be good or bad, depending on the situation you're in or even on the game itself.

The Pokemon series has alot of areas you backtrack in(I'm looking at you Johto and Sinnoh), and it may be helpful or not. You could also overpower yourself, which I find annoying when I'm fighting bosses(A.K.A. Leaders and E4) and it's not a challenge. But, there are also items that are rare you can get with backtracking, such as Rare Candies, the EV Medicines, and maybe just some other random stuff.

Pikmin and Pikmin 2 have ALOT of places you can go when you get the specified Pikmin. The areas are not accessible when you only have Purple or Reds. If you're trying to get 100%, there is a big chance you'll have to backtrack for a missing ship part/treasure.

So, it just depends on the game.
I personally do it when I need to, like if there exclusive items or I'm underleveled.

chronoquairium
08-22-2012, 12:10 AM
In Metroid Fusion, Backtracking was a necessity, but they always had something new to throw at you there. It's very worth it to backtrack but it doesn't feel like backtracking. That's what I like about the game.

Patriot
08-22-2012, 12:11 AM
Backtracking and it's debated badness/goodness really depends on how it is utilized. If backtracking involves grinding through an already visited area while performing the same mechanics tediously, that's not good. If backtracking involves new strategies and a new method of thinking used to solve the problem, like what Uzi said about Arkham City's Riddler's Challenge, that's good use of backtracking. Backtracking can be fun if utilized so that you can experience new places, new strategies, and new ways of solving or going through the said previously visited place. It's really more of a two sided issue and depends if the developer creates it so that it is not tedious and frustrating that you want to smash your keyboard like the Angry German kid. (Poor Keyboard) If they can pull it off successfully, it would be even more content added into the game that's interesting and actually fun to play. I recall in GTA IV, backtracking was pretty well done. I could do many different things in the same location such as doing a mission there, creating a roadbloack and messing up the traffic system, or mess with the cops and general mayhem. I find that RPGs and Open World games typically do better with this mechanic, but not always the case. Really, it's a matter of how good the developers are at pulling this off. So there's my meticulously detailed opinion on backtracking, hope you enjoyed. (Not Really)

Flubbs
08-22-2012, 12:22 AM
I really enjoy backtracking because it allows you to revisit some environments that you might not have been to in a while. Even if there is absolutely no point in revisiting an area, I would revisit it if it was memorable or if it interested me. I will revisit an area no matter what if there is an item or upgrade to gain from it because I'm normally a completionist when it comes to games, especially the ones with a lot of content. Those kinds of games require backtracking to areas many times and I've grown to become used to it and even enjoying it. I can still see why some people say it's bad though. It can be annoying backtracking to an area you didn't like because it might have been made harder since the last time.

CaptainRed1000
08-22-2012, 12:26 AM
Backtracking is annoying, but when you go back later in a game when your stronger, sometimes your like "I can't believe I missed this the last time!" or "was this here before?" or even "oh, so THATS what this was for!".
Backtracking sucks, but sometimes it can lead to something interesting.

Kamex
08-23-2012, 03:56 PM
It really depends on what game I'm playing. Like in pokemon, I would go back and explore when I have new HM's. I might find some rare items! And also in super mario. I can look for star coins and secret stars and such. I usually back track.

Umbrony
08-24-2012, 01:35 AM
It really depends on the game. I'm trying to remember a game where I hated backtracking...
Oh yeah, in Sonic 2006, backtracking was kinda bad. Heck, terrible. I couldnt find anything. I'm not even gonna elaborate on this. Sonic 06 was just plain bad.

Backtracking in Pokemon Black and White is also pointless. They didn't even give you a VS seeker. So I keep my copy just for wi-fi battling.

tinksfinks
08-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Backtracking is fine as long as it doesn't happen more than once or twice. So far of all the games I've played with backtracking I never had a problem with them.

UbersSuck20
08-29-2012, 06:22 AM
Depending of the game. For example, in DK Country there is only one level where you have to do backtracking(Orangutan Gang). But in games such as Yeah Jam Fury or Super Mario RPG, you don't.

DeMrTeunio
08-29-2012, 06:33 PM
In games like Zelda, I really don't mind backtracking because you always have new items and abilities when you do so, which makes sure there is always something new to do. In other games, e.g. Pokemon, backtracking is pointless.

The answer to the question "Backtracking, good or bad?" is "Yes". It's good OR bad.

Giratina720
09-02-2012, 05:51 AM
Really bad because if something is forgot in a game, you have to go back to that place it irratates me so much

BreeZaps
09-04-2012, 12:53 AM
Well if its pokemon then im cool with it. But if its zelda and I missed something then I rage. >(

Christian
09-07-2012, 10:36 AM
I really enjoy backtracking, in some games you get to an area that you love just to run away from it one mission later or something like that.
In lego Star Wars for example (I played this when I was about 5) you can buy new characters and come back to unlock more doors which I really enjoyed.

Shaymin
08-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Backtracking as a whole is OK for me. I don't mind backtrack if it's just a little bit, but it's tedious if it's overdone.

Ayra
08-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Well, in platformers, having to redo a level for any reason, imo, is bull****. In RPGs, revisiting an area can be interesting if played well. Pokemon does a pretty bad job at making it worthwhile to revisit areas, whereas it works out rather well in Ace Attorney when a location may have to be visited more than once.

Hakuiin
08-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Well, in LoZ, I don't backtrack before the final dungeon, then I collect everything I missed xD

herothezero
08-02-2013, 02:19 AM
Backtracking is annoying, unless necessary to the story.
If it's like AC2, where you have to go back to Da Vinci's house constantly for him to decipher Codex pages, it's fine.
If it's like "Go here, now find a special key, now come back," that's a bit annoying.

HoennTrainerRuby
08-02-2013, 03:41 AM
Depends on the game. In games where it's easy to get to place-to-place, it's okay. In games where you walk place to place, it's annoying.

Sean
08-02-2013, 07:04 AM
No, it's not bad...just lengthy./

Davismt
08-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Backtracking, imo, is usually a good thing. It never hurts to do it, but depending on the distance that you need to backtrack, it can get really annoying and frustrating.

It all depends on the game and what you need to get while backtracking as well. Backtracking is definitely worth it if you're gaining levels, getting a new move, or even character. Then there's the backtracking that requires you to go a very long way back to get a small, one time use item to break a little obstacle back where you left off.

Take any Zelda game for example. If you find yourself too caught up in the game, and you get far, you realize you can't find a way to break this door, or get up on the platform with the items you have. You then realize that you forgot to talk to this one person, or missed one chest back in a town that's really far away, causing you to have to backtrack for a while. Sometimes the item you get will be useful throughout the entire game, and sometimes it'll be a one-time use kind of thing that wastes space.