PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Power is... Done?

Umbrony
08-24-2012, 12:01 AM
Chances are very good that any gamer in the 90s who also owned a Nintendo system of some kind subscribed to, or at least regularly read, Nintendo Power. While the Nintendo-owned magazine often published pieces that were little more than direct marketing copy straight from the Big N itself, it was still one of the best places to go for Nintendo related news, codes, and guides in the days before the full advent of the internet. It also served to help introduce many people (myself included) to the RPG genre through a remarkable promotion the magazine ran which saw all subscribers sent a free copy of Dragon Quest I (then going under its North America-only name of Dragon Warrior) along with a 64-page “Explorer’s Handbook” (which I still own to this day) with a full walkthrough and additional lore not mentioned anywhere else. Indeed, this promotion lead to over 500,000 new subscribers and is credited with the series’ ability to continue in the US. Clearly Nintendo Power has had its influence on the video game industry at large, but now it seems that will all be ending.

That is because today the website Ars Technica reported that after 24 years of publication, Nintendo Power is being shut down. Citing an increasing lack of interest from Nintendo that included a refusal to build on online aspects of the publication, the current producer of NP, tech-and-game-focused Future Publishing (whose other publications include both the official Xbox and official PlayStation magazines) apparently gave word to the editors and staffers of the magazine last week about the pending closure. A now-deleted tweet from NP’s senior editor Chris Hoffman posted earlier today confirmed the news of the closure.

There is no word yet exactly which issue of Nintendo Power will be the publication’s last nor on any plans for how to address current subscribers. The magazine currently has a monthly readership of 475,000, according to Future press materials. Additionally the closure of Nintendo Power is said to be having no negative effect on other Future Publishing publications at this time.

Well guys, it looks like the childhood of many Nintendo gamers is coming to an end, what do you think? I'm rather dissapointed, since I grew up with the magazine, and many of the games I enjoyed playing I learned through Nintendo Power. xD or TV.

EpicCh33se
08-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Yeah, it is quite depressing. This era is all about the internet and it can actually be kinda scary if you think about it. I'm still dreading the day when retail games will no longer be available.
The last issue is going to be released in December. After that, Nintendo Power will refund everyone who has subscribed and will drift into the sea of the Lost.

Judge Mandolore Shepard
08-24-2012, 12:28 AM
It is sad that Nintendo Power is stopping publication. I know one of my brothers had a subscription for it for a few or more years. Course it is sad when any magazine stops being published. I recall Disney Adventures magazine stopped being published, two years after I ended my subscription to it.

Minntul
08-24-2012, 12:41 AM
Can't say I didn't see it happening. We live in a day and age where if a gamer needs help with something, they can look it up gamefaqs instead of paying money for a magazine that doesn't have the same amount of detail.

I think I heard something about Nintendo Power being some sort of app for the Wii U or something.

Zachgoose
08-24-2012, 12:47 AM
That sucks. I loved Nintendo Power.

But unfortunately it's better to find out details about games online instead of paying money to read incredibly biased reviews.

Shiningbolt
08-24-2012, 02:38 AM
Since I never really paid attention to Nintendo Power, I am not affected by this decision at all. I guess that makes me one of many who didn't find merit within...magazines. As bad as this may sound, it's an outdated thing and we must move on to...free guides on random internet sites. As Amami said about dreading retail games, I am absolutely against that kind of thing, but I don't plan to derail the topic for that.

This world is changing day by day with new technology lighting the way.
Some things have died as many years passed by
And all we can say is we're in the world of today.

The Arrow
08-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Because I never really read the magazine, I'm not too sad that it's not going to exist anymore. We all must realize it was expected to happen because like EpicCh33se said, wait until the day where they won't have retail games. This is the exact reason why I'm surprised Game Informer still exists... of course it is in digital now, but still...

Reaper
08-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Well this makes me sad. I never subscribed to it, but my friend did, and whenever he got a new issue he would bring in in to school and we would read it during recess. Those were the days...

pikachumaster
08-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Actually I never cared about Nintendo Power so this does not affect me at all.

Shantae
08-24-2012, 10:15 PM
The old days sure passed really fast. It just Technology is improve quite alot, and people can use a gaming site in internet for FAQ or searching in Youtube. But yes, It's really sad that Nintendo Power is now closing it's step to stop producing gaming magazines. But, I never subscribed them ever. But yeah, it's actually better to look a game in internet than buying a gaming magazine. So long, Nintendo Power!

ShadowMr.L
08-26-2012, 12:29 PM
I'll be honest, I've never heard of Nintendo Power. Regardless it still makes me sad to hear this shut down.

DeMrTeunio
08-26-2012, 01:55 PM
It doesn't strike me as a shock that Nintendo Power is being shut down. To be honest, I actually thought it had already been taken out of production earlier. Still, it's sad that it has to go. I guess there is just no more place for magazines of this nature in the internet society that is the 21st century.

Totodile
10-28-2012, 05:04 AM
I don't really have any Nintendo Power Magazines but I can see why it is depressing for the video game world. It has been tough for Nintendo lately. Sure they had a good run with the Wii but since Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 have rised to popularity Nintendo has been getting hammered. Nintendo was the company that changed gaming forever. Nintendo bought out Sega. Nintendo is a classic video game company. I am afraid that the Wii U is going to get a short run because Xbox and Playstation are releasing their new systems next year. Rip Nintendo Power

LovelyOshawott
10-28-2012, 05:18 AM
I am bummed because I had only heard about it in August. I actually do read it and enjoyed its pages. I wonder what the final farewell is...

Shaymin
10-28-2012, 06:20 PM
It's very sad to hear that Nintendo Power is shutting down. I mean, it's been around for 24 years, what old school gamer WOULDN'T miss it?

Cutiepuffle
10-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Dang, and I never even got the chance to buy one.

Sean
12-17-2012, 01:43 PM
I have a dozen magizines from the last year, I'm just sad it's gone and I never picked up on it as a kid :'C It's like Nick Magizine all over agian.

Blue
12-24-2012, 03:04 AM
I never read Nintendo Nintendo power, but I never thought I was missing out, everything is on the internet.

Tuxy
12-24-2012, 12:23 PM
http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=193296

Just thought I'd throw this in there

newsupermariobros
12-24-2012, 03:20 PM
I loved those games.They are gone now.No longer being sold.The new ones aren't bad though.

TheTrainerExpert
12-29-2012, 05:15 AM
Shame there will be no more Nintendo Power magazines, but oh well.

Leafeon
12-29-2012, 05:24 AM
Aww. I love NinPow! To bad there will be no more magizines. Now where will I get the lastest info on Nintendo!

Tuxy
12-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Now where will I get the lastest info on Nintendo!

Ever heard of the internet? It's a great place! Or this:

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=193296

Just thought I'd throw this in there

Christian
12-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Shut down?!
Lack of interest..?! They are crazy! Well, this is sad to hear..

Kyoits
03-14-2013, 02:17 AM
I use to really rely on NP when I was younger but now since it might be going away(It might have already been cancelled but I am not following this) I use Game Informer. I still have the box for my Wii and whenever I open it I see the old NP booklet just sitting, brings back so many memories.