PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion on Immortality?

CaptainRed1000
08-24-2012, 01:23 AM
In most video games and movies, the main bad guys are usually immortal or trying to achieve immortality. They say that they will live forever, but they always end up dead, captured or sealed away. Immortality is supposed to keep you alive forever, but what do you think?
Is immortality worth the price you must usually pay, or does it even work?

Umbrony
08-24-2012, 01:28 AM
No such thing. The first humans ruined that. That showed humans cannot handle the gift of immortality. Now stop this nonsense.

EpicCh33se
08-24-2012, 01:36 AM
That showed humans cannot handle the gift of immortality.
Are you sure immortality can be classified as a "gift", Emily?

Immortality is..... depressing.
You, yourself will live on forever. You will witness a lot. You will experience a lot. You will feel a lot.
Your friends will die. Your parents will die. Your children will die. Your grandchildren will die. Everything around you will change.
All in front of your eyes.

You will feel sadness, anger, and hatred in yourself; you will feel as if you've lost everything. Which is true. Everything you know; everything you love, is gone.
And since you can't die, you will have to live on with that depression.
You might as well lose your sanity.

Dragonite
08-24-2012, 02:05 AM
You, yourself will live on forever. You will witness a lot. You will experience a lot. You will feel a lot.
Your friends will die. Your parents will die. Your children will die. Your grandchildren will die. Everything around you will change.

I like that.

*Anyway, unless you spend your life doing something you really like and could do literally forever, can you imagine how boring that would become?
*You probably couldn't retire, because unless you don't mind never eating or living in a normal house or apartment forever, you'd still need money for those things.
*Unless your friends are also immortal or you're good at making friends with young(er) people, you wouldn't have any of those after a while.
*If you think reading about daft politicians in the newspaper once is bad enough, you'd have to deal with that for every day forever, too.
*And after the sun dies and Earth turns into a random dead asteroid floating around the Milky Way, what would happen to you?

Minntul
08-24-2012, 02:18 AM
Cheese pretty much took the words out of my mouth. Immortality is Hell. Everyone you ever knew and loved will all die for you to witness. You live on with nothing but depression and anger, eventually going insane.

Uzi
08-24-2012, 02:20 AM

It's both a curse and a blessing.

To live to see the advancements and failures, and to live on past your friends, family, and whatever else. You just have to make it worth it. There's always something to look forward to in life, you just have to find it.

I would enjoy a longer life, personally. But not immortality. I'd rather not outlive everything and be forced to live alone with no one else to talk to. Except maybe the sky, but I'm not that crazy yet.

Shiningbolt
08-24-2012, 02:24 AM

You will feel sadness, anger, and hatred in yourself; you will feel as if you've lost everything. Which is true. Everything you know; everything you love, is gone.

I'm spamming the rep button, but it's not working! Amami has successfully portrayed my exact opinion of immortality, so I'm left here to simply agree. Immortality is totally not worth it.

CaptainRed1000
08-24-2012, 02:29 AM
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one to think this, though my reasons are different, and make sense to me, but maybe not to you guys.

"Life, by definition, will always come to an end. When your immortal, that 'end' never comes, so techincally, your not truly living. Your conscious, but your not alive or dead, you are are something in between. And, let us not forget that the price you pay for immortality, no matter who or what grants it, is never worth paying, lest you spend your immortal life in regret and sorrow."

Those are my reasons for hating immortality. Did that make any sense to you?

ShadowMr.L
08-24-2012, 02:57 AM
Cheese couldn't have explained it better. But if we had immortality I'd think we have no one dying and everyone lives peacefully. I actually am curious of a life of immortality. I plan to achieve great things if such a thing were ever to be real.

Disco Scratch
08-24-2012, 03:45 AM
Immortality is the one thing that gets me on edge. I do not want to live forever. I want to die at some point. Living as it is makes me feel like I'm not truly living. I want to die and find my answers.

Cedeus
08-24-2012, 04:53 AM
If you were unable to die what would the point of life be as you would literally have all the time in the world and life would be quite a boring after being alive for centuries and it would suck watching all the people you know grow old and died whilst you continue to live and are unable to die.

Hellwaker
08-24-2012, 07:23 AM
The only up side of immortality is that you now have enough time to go around the universe and insult everything being in alphabetical order.

The Arrow
08-24-2012, 02:54 PM

This is my exact opinion of immortality. There's nothing more I can add on to this. There are benefits...

pikachumaster
08-24-2012, 03:02 PM
I also agree with EpicCh33se. You may be excited at first but as years go on you will go mentally insane!! Thats all I can say about it.

Dabottle
08-24-2012, 03:05 PM
Immortality would be great if humans weren't selfish, greedy, power-hungry, pathetic ********.

Too bad. =/

I'll take my ~80 years and be happy.

tinksfinks
08-24-2012, 04:41 PM

Such that you will kill yourself anyway? Haha.

UbersSuck20
08-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Immortality? That reminds me of Indestructible Tank.

I'd like to live for, like, 5000 years.

Totodile
08-24-2012, 06:50 PM
If there was such thing I wouldn't want it. Yeah you live forever but everybody you know will pass on to the afterlife and everything will be different and you will live forever alone. I think seeing the future would be cool but I'd rather just see it like from a magic mirror or something instead of immortality. It makes sense for the bad guys to want it because they don't have very many quality friends and care more for world domination than anything else.

Shantae
08-24-2012, 09:45 PM
EpicCh33se really sums up about Immorality.
But I'll say this, but yes Immortality is mostly depressing but it has benefits if an human wasn't selfish, blaming to himself, or being greedy, or what. Lastly, I do have a chance to live the best I can, and someday I'm might die around 80.

DeMrTeunio
08-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Immortality might seem like a good thing to some people, but it would turn you into an empty person with nothing to really look forward to. One of the forces that drives people to live their lives is the knowledge that it will be too late someday. Death is inevitable and it will happen to us all, the only thing we can do is try to get our lives to be as complete as we can for as long as it lasts (Carpe Diem). For example, my family has a long history of heart-valve failure that caused the death of my grandmother and her sister, and it probably would've affected my dad as well if he hadn't got his brain tumor. The chances of me getting that disease at some point are over 95%, and if I do I probably won't be much older than 70 when my time is over. The only thing I can do about it is try to live my life as good as possible and make as many of my dreams come true as I can. I just hope that when I die, I know I did everything I wanted.

Death is terrible, since it's always a moment you realise you'll never see your loved ones again. I can't start describing the feeling I got when my fathers coffin was being lowered into the earth. But death is also something none of us can avoid, and that's only for the better. If we could all live forever, the world would be in a permanent state of depression and boredom. Death somehow drives us to enjoy our lives more.

Shaymin
08-26-2012, 02:24 PM
All of a sudden, I am suddenly reminded of Tuck Everlasting, a book I read in 5th grade. A huge quote I remember from watching the movie after reading the book was "don't be afraid of death, be afraid of the un-lived life".

But in all seriousness, I can talk about life and immortality all day. Ahem!

7 billion people live on Earth.
56 million die every year.
If immortality were given to everyone, millions and maybe billions more would still be alive.

Time is essential to a human life. We have the chance to realize what we were born to do. However, once we waste that time thinking, we cannot regain it (unless there's reincarnation, but why am I talking about Buddhism at a time like this?!). Immortality gives you infinite time. Giving you time to see the world, be the strongest man alive, but it would also be very, very lonely. To the point of insanity, when sometimes you want to suicide, but you can't (sometimes immortality means invincibility in some myths and fairy tales).

Death is . . . a horrific but somehow comforting thing. Death, in some video games (*cough* Final Fantasy X *cough*), releases us of pain, worry, and suffering. We cannot avoid it. However, having Death around is a good thing. As I said, around 7 billion people live on this Earth and 56 million die every year. Death sort of regulates how many people can live on Earth.

Spiritually, I think humans have not achieved immortality yet is because, in a sense, we are immature gods (I was gonna say impure, but what would that mean?). Ya know, gods that don't exactly have the element to become an actual god (unless you're talking about Christianity, then we're just bags of flesh).

Scientifically, the human body can't handle the passage of time of over 120 years (or so it seems). Diseases make it easier to die.

To sum it all up, immortality is very cruel, but also a sorta cool thing.

Davismt
09-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Immortality... That's an interesting topic. I wouldn't want complete immortality, because, as Cheese said, eventually you'd go completely insane and have nothing to do with your life, as you would be alive forever. None of your questions about death will be answered. I would like to live longer than human lifespan, but not be completely immortal.

newsupermariobros
09-14-2012, 11:59 PM
It's pretty dumb in my opinion because you should die at some point.This is a interesting thread

Dabottle
09-15-2012, 12:17 AM
^Number one reason why immortality would be a horrible thing.

Kyoits
09-15-2012, 12:49 AM
Immortality is something that i wanted when i saw the movie 2012, but now i don't see any need to want immortality (at the time), but my honest opinion on immortality is that it is something that sadly no one will achieve.

herothezero
07-07-2013, 09:03 PM
I feel immortality can be great or terrible on your view of life and your personality.

If you're someone who treasures good experiences and likes to just live life, and truly just go with the flow, you'll be able to get over your loss and live on forever.

However, not all people are like that. If you're not, than immortality, will be as mentioned earlier, Hell.

GroundX3RO
07-18-2013, 01:30 AM
I would not like to love forever because eventually I will always be lonely and any friends I meet will always die very quickly. If all of my friends and family were immortal, I'm still not sure I'd want to, but it would be cool to control how long I live and maybe live a little longer (as long as I maintain my youth.)

BreeZaps
07-18-2013, 03:57 PM
I think that it would be more then hell to me. To be honest life is already hell so to lose everyone and live forever would just... Well I can't think of anything but...

Think about the pain, never ending sadness, watching everyone you love die, out living your kids and grandkids and great grandkids and so on...
But the worst part. Watching the world end with you helpless. Since you can live forever all you can do is watch the world end. Darkness forever. Everything destroyed.
I won't want to live forever since I already hate life, I have almost zero self esteem. There is nothing to live for anymore besides my cat (and these great forums) but I'm still alive so it confuses me.
Would you want to live for 80 years happy or live forever in darkness? You deside. If it was my choice I would end my life right now. :/

Majorasfan
07-18-2013, 06:18 PM
If everyone were given immortality, I wouldn't want that to happen for the main reason listed above - if everyone lived forever, the Earth would quickly overpopulate. We're already on that path as it is, so if nobody left and more people kept coming, we wouldn't be able to last, and that would be horrible. I would never want that to happen.

If I alone was given immortality.. I would take it. It would be selfish, sure, but I've always wanted to watch as history unfolds - it's one of my delusions of grandeur I've had since I was younger. I think it would be the most amazing thing. If I was able to live on and on, I would also be able to constantly self-improve. I would learn more and more, and I would be able to do so many things. Everyone is right about losing people you care about and whatnot, but that's a part of life anyway. To be fair, if you're not immortal, you won't keep going through that part of "life," but I figure by the time I'm around the age of death, many of the people I care about will be there or close to there already. I'll have experienced loss many times, but if I'm immortal, I will still be there. It's definitely not the most group-oriented way of looking at it, but I would take it.

One thing I would like to do, if it's within our technology at the time, is have my mind imprinted as a computer program, or however that will work. If my mind could be preserved as data, my personality would stay intact as well. Maybe an algorithm could be written for me and I could continue to think, virtually. I would be OK with that too, but it's way less preferable.

Sean
07-19-2013, 11:53 PM
If Immoraltitly is created 100 years from now, while you are on your death bed, dieing of something that can be easily cured with this new medicine.

Would either like to be cured, and life always as an older woman/man, or die with a long proud life?

I'll chose the latter choice.