PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings vs. Harry Potter

MiniTapp
08-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Aha, here is a poll that should be interesting to see what most people would think.
For me, it is hands down Lord of the Rings. It is a far more complicated story and the universe in it is just much larger. You could make 20 films with all of the material in the universe. No, way more. That's my favourite thing about it; there's so much to it outside of just the three books. J K Rowling got a lot of material from it. It's a masterpiece.

Judge Mandolore Shepard
08-26-2012, 07:05 PM
I would have to say that I am a fan of both Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. They are both good series in their own way. Plus think of all the merchandise both of these series have.

Growth
08-26-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm going with Harry Potter on this one.

Don't get me wrong; I love both of these series. But Harry Potter has a special place in my heart.

super dill
08-26-2012, 07:33 PM
i love harry potter and lord of th rings but i have to with harry potter on this!

Reaper
08-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Definitely Lord of the Rings. Harry Potter just seems so overrated these days.

Umbrony
08-26-2012, 07:52 PM
But Harry potter is a big series. I've never read Lord Of The Rings anyways.

Dabottle
08-26-2012, 08:04 PM
But Harry potter is a big series. I've never read Lord Of The Rings anyways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

Tuxy
08-26-2012, 08:12 PM
I've never cared for Lord of the Rings. I really should, because everyone says it's awesome and I'll probably read/watch them some day. But for now, I have to go with Harry Potter.

Shantae
08-26-2012, 08:25 PM
I heard about the Lord of the Rings like somehow my HS friend was really interested in that story. But since I never read about the book. For now, I'll go vote with Harry Potter.

Shiningbolt
08-26-2012, 08:51 PM
It's threads like this that remind me that I haven't seen very many movies at all. I never watched Lord of the Rings and, again, like the Twilight Vs. Harry Potter thread, I don't see the relation between the two. Were the release dates really that close? What relations can people draw from it?

Obviously, I'm going to say Harry Potter in this situation. Harry Potter has existed for many years and finally ended last year. I prefer the older movies to the new ones, but never once have I thought "this is better than Lord of the Rings/Twilight" while watching them. I just enjoyed the concept of it. It's a Fantasy story. And one of the more serious ones at that. That's enough to draw me in by itself. I have a feeling Lord of the Rings is also a Fantasy with plenty of serious content, but again, I haven't seen the series.

ShadowMr.L
08-26-2012, 09:16 PM
I've yet to read Lord of the Rings. So until I decide to, since I really want to; my vote is going with Harry Potter.

Tainers14
08-26-2012, 09:40 PM
To everyone that is saying Harry Potter is better than Lord of the Rings. You either a) never read the novels or b) are a 11 fanboy who doesn't know anything about literature.

Tolkien is a god among authors when it comes to detail in his stories. This is what makes LotR truly thrilling to read, his imagery is so descriptive that it puts a moving picture inside your head, and the creativity it took to come up with Middle earth is mind boggling.

AND THEN there is Harry Potter. The writing is not nearly as good but the concept of following a wizard as he attends classes at a magic school was an incredible idea... However in terms of epicness, it doesn't exceed Lord of the Rings.

My vote goes to LotR

joebob2311
08-27-2012, 04:12 PM
I fell asleep in the middle of Lord of the Rings and I watched Harry Potter and I was more internested in the popcorn. People are gonna hate me but I hate those both series.

Christian
08-30-2012, 08:36 PM
I love Harry Potter so I am going that.
I have and I will always love magic so I suppose that is one of the main reason for me choosing Harry Potter.

Minntul
08-30-2012, 09:02 PM
To everyone that is saying Harry Potter is better than Lord of the Rings. You either a) never read the novels or b) are a 11 fanboy who doesn't know anything about literature.

>implying most people here even read the harry potter novels

come on step it up

Harry Potter for me. I've never even seen the Lords of the Rings movies because I'm a filthy casual when it comes to movies.

Dragonite
08-30-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm not going to vote on this. I loved Harry Potter but I haven't read any LOTR except for The Hobbit, which I didn't find especially interesting. All I really know is that JK Rowling borrowed quite a few elements from LORT while writing Harry Potter.

phantomscar
08-31-2012, 12:59 AM
Lord of the rings had epic battles in it as well as multiple plot lines that merge together at one point to make it seem complete. Harry potter, in my opinion, does not measure up in terms of the battle scenes.

Giratina720
08-31-2012, 01:29 AM
hmm tough question i should say harry potter because i like wizards well i don't watch those so yeah.

pikachumaster
08-31-2012, 01:35 AM
I like Harry Potter because it's one of the first movies I watched and I am amazingly stubborn.

tinksfinks
08-31-2012, 04:01 PM
It's not really a fair comparison. Harry Potter is geared more towards children while Lords of the Rings are geared towards grown people.

whiffet
09-01-2012, 05:24 AM
I wonder how many people voted even though they only had knowledge of one or the other? It would hardly be fair to do so.

Anyway, discussing the books only (I didn't bother to see the HP movies) I prefer LOTR. I see the appeal of HP, but LOTR has a certain epic feel to it. I don't mean "epic" in the way people completely misuse it to mean "great!" I mean that it truly is an epic novel, in the same way The Iliad and The Odyssey are epic poems. HP is nice, but it ultimately feels like it gives you less. I think a lot of its wide appeal is because it started out for kids and then kind of "grew up" along with its readers.

I also appreciate the huge amount of worldbuilding. LOTR was not meant to be the huge thing it became. Tolkien's real work, the stuff he actually cared about, is the stuff considered ancient history by the time of LOTR. For those of you who only saw the movies... you know that story at the beginning of the first movie, about the Last Alliance of Elves and Men fighting Sauron and Isildur cutting the ring off of Sauron's hand? I'm talking about stuff that goes way before that. So naturally LOTR felt like a complete world with plenty of things hinting at a larger picture. I realize many people find all of that boring, especially since a lot of it comes through LOTR as song and poetry, but I loved how it made a different world seem so real. HP didn't do that so well. Oh, you might say that it's basically our world with magic so it doesn't need that kind of history. But it's still different from our world and we need to at least feel that it's different, even if we don't know the details. At first it did fine, too. There were all sorts of little details that just seemed to be there to say there's more to this world. By the end, though, so many of those turned into plot points that it got ridiculous.

Just personal preference, mind you.

The Arrow
09-01-2012, 05:02 PM
I don't care for either of them, but I'd have to say the Lord of the Rings.

Austin
09-01-2012, 06:26 PM
I will have to go with Harry Potter, but I will always remember a few Lord of the Ring phrases... "For Frodo" and "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

whiffet
09-02-2012, 08:12 PM
I wonder if the results would change if we specified "books only" or "movies only"? And insisted you had to be familiar with both LOTR and HP if you wanted to vote?

CriticalCalla
09-02-2012, 11:20 PM
I've seen all the HP movies, I'm starting to watch LotR before The Hobbit. So I guess HP.

Sammiiee13
09-03-2012, 02:56 AM
In terms of books I have only read the Harry Potter ones and I liked them. In terms of the movies I have watched both all of the Harry Potter movies and The Lord of the Rings ones. My vote goes to Harry Potter because I have read the books and seen all the movies (however the books are so much better then to movies) I did like The Lord of the Rings and I believe it is a great series. however its just not my type of thing that is all.

Totodile
09-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Lord of the Rings by FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAR!
I saw one Harry Potter movie and I honestly almost fell asleep it was so boring and I didn't care.
Lord of the Rings actually had great suspense and epicness that harry potter can only dream of having.
Lord of the Rings is Epic!

SilkShadow
09-06-2012, 04:22 AM
Harry potter, Harry potter. Ooh, ooh Harry potter. Snape, Harry,Snape,Harry,Snape,Harry,DUMBLEDOOR! Hahaha I bet none of you get that but whatever. I respect Lord of the Rings, but for me, Harry Potter wins by a huge margin. I guess I grew up with Harry potter and only read LOTR once and never saw the movies, but the books are good but not great. Harry Potter is so epic, I will always be a huge fan. So there is my answer.

chronoquairium
09-08-2012, 02:40 PM
I've read both, but I have to say Harry Potter is better. I have no reason. I just do.

Davismt
09-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Well, I've never read Lord Of the Rings, I know what your thinking, DAVIS YOU IDIOT WHY YOU NO READ LORD OF RINGS AND POST ON THREAD? Well, I really want to read that series, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I have heard really good comments about it from my friends who have read it, so I plan on reading it soon. As for Harry Potter, I've read every book, seen every movie, and it's a great series, so Harry Potter has to be my answer.

phantomscar
12-17-2012, 06:13 AM
Lord of the rings is better since it did not have to alternate between 2 different ares, there was more than one group to follow at once and the sheer murdering with weapons rather than wands seems more violent

Qwerty
12-17-2012, 07:07 AM
LOTR. HP was great, but LOTR is THE defining high-fantasy series imo. The movies were very well done as well, so I have to go for LOTR.

Merga
12-17-2012, 12:17 PM
Harry Potter because I've never seen a LOTR movie and because I'm a biased little fool. I would give LOTR a chance, but I really don't have the patience to sit through a 3 hour movie.

Sean
12-17-2012, 01:12 PM
What kind of Question is this? LORD OF THE RINGS!

Lord of the Rings is a classic!

TheTrainerExpert
12-27-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm gonna have to go with Lord of the Rings on this one, I don't really like Harry Potter. I like Lord of the Rings somewhat though.

Kyoits
12-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Harry Potter only because I'm more familiar with that series than I am with Lord of the Rings.

Blue
12-30-2012, 07:53 PM
I know this is really sad, but I never seen of any of these movies.

tingliu
06-26-2013, 08:19 AM
It's threads like this that remind me that I haven't seen very many movies at all. I never watched Lord of the Rings and, again, like the Twilight Vs. Harry Potter thread, I don't see the relation between the two. Were the release dates really that close? What relations can people draw from it?

WOW Gold (http://mmo4k.com/wow-gold-kaufen-4/WoW-Gold-kaufen-5/)|Wow Gold Kaufen (http://mmo4k.com/wow-gold-kaufen-4/WoW-Gold-kaufen-5/)|Diablo 3 Gold (http://mmo4k.com/Diablo-3-gold/)|Guild Wars 2 Gold (http://mmo4k.com/Guild-Wars-2/)

joebob2311
07-04-2013, 06:21 PM
I might get some hate for this but Neither. I would much rather Harry Potter but I dont like long movies to be completely honest.

Kitty
07-14-2013, 02:21 AM
Golems are the creepiest things ever.

GroundX3RO
07-14-2013, 06:32 PM
Harry Potter has been my favorite book since I read the first one in third grade. I have been addicted for that long, and will always be a huge Harry Potter fan. I have read LOTR and respect it as a classic and a great work of literature but I am a Potterhead so yeah