PDA

View Full Version : Why Do You Watch Anime?

Spitfire
08-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Simple question really. Why do you watch anime? For myself personally I watch it to experience stories which have a profound impact on myself. Albeit few of you could probably find it online, in real life I believe in the philosophies of specific anime characters. Also anime makes me think about my life and how I've lived and what I can change.

Random side note, anime is not the reason I want to move to Japan. I want to move to Japan because of the culture, work ethic, way of life, and probably most importantly, the history.

Tuxy
08-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Because of... I don't even know. I rarely watch Anime, and if I do, I do it for the same reason I watch any other show: for entertainment.

Rainbowdash372
08-27-2012, 09:01 PM
i watch anime because it sometimes has deep story plots, memorable characters and a crazy balance or weirdness that other Genres dont usually do. (Mostly cuz of the weirdness, its just so funny to laugh at something that u dont even know whats hardly going on in a scene XDD)

Uzi
08-27-2012, 09:03 PM
I watch anime because I like seeing stories being told. I enjoy seeing amazing stories being played out, and a good example of that being Aria the Animation. It has no 'plot' but it's enjoyable to watch. I enjoy it because of the atmosphere, the characters are happy and cheery and they all get a long and such.

I also like seeing characters interact. It's my favorite thing about literature. If there aren't characters for someone to mess around with, it's hard for me to continue reading/watching, it's why Bakemonogatari is one of my favorite series.

shoutouts to spitfire for not being dumb and not wanting to move to japan because of anime.

Tainers14
08-27-2012, 09:21 PM
I watch anime because Zach and Nick forced me to watch a dumb series. I regret watching this one series.

EpicCh33se
08-28-2012, 01:06 AM
Why do I watch anime? Wouldn't "Why do you experience anime?" be a better question? I experience anime because my life is dull and boring. Experiencing anime makes me feel as if I'm living in another world. One where I don't have to worry about my real life, while all the same, wishing that the anime world WAS my real life.
While experiencing anime may not fill in the gap of loneliness, it certainly does fill in the gap of boredom. Time always flies when I'm experiencing anime, unlike when I do anything else.
I experience anime because nothing else even matches up to it. Cartoons from the U.S. and other countries aren't as lively as anime (except the French. Code Lyoko was amazing). Anime however, absorbs me in. The characters leap out and hold out their hand to me as they guide me into their world. I feel what they feel. I see what they see. And sometimes, I even think that they think.
Anime is an escape from real life. Although it is amazing, it is also a drug. Experiencing anime a lot may result in being trapped inside their world, unable to flee back into reality. Your social life will being to die. Your physical health will weaken. You might as well be a loner.

Anime is a great thing to experience. It's a lot deeper than most cartoons and I love it because of that.

Chihaya
08-28-2012, 01:46 AM
Hm, I've never really thought of this question before. Initially I was going to respond "because it's a liking and it's different", but that'd be boring and waste of a post.

I started watching anime when I was rather young, the early years when Toonami was first brought up and showed Sailor Moon, Marchen Awakens Romance, and everything in between. I found it to be very interesting and different from American cartoons, which I didn't too much enjoy at the time? The only real cartoons that I really watched were SpongeBob and Teen Titans, and even then I would get bored with. As a child I always loved different cultures and learning about languages and different music - I suppose Japanese animation just really stuck with me and never got boring?

Anime always had characters that I'd quickly fall for, or have an "obsession" with - NARUTO was Hyuuga Neji, Pandora Hearts with Gilbert, Bleach was Hitsugaya Toshirou, Durarara!! with Heiwajima Shizuo, etc. I'm not entirely too sure anymore. D: //

Hellwaker
08-28-2012, 02:21 AM
I watch anime because I like it.
I like the style and how there are lots of serious(ish) animes out there unlike alot of cartoons which are often just a bit of a joke. I like animation becuase it lets you be more creative with the sceneary than filmed shows(unless they have a lots of funding). There are also anime out there that I can watch while playing viedo games and still understand them(these are really simple ones)

narutomoon
08-28-2012, 04:38 AM
I watch anime because i enjoy the stories. With every single anime i watch, i change in some little way. I grew up watching anime, and it helped a lot shaping me into the person i am today. Ive learned so many life lessons from anime, and i've had so many good memories that deal with anime. Also, when im down, anime halps me out with a laugh or just the resonance of feelings i sometimes get when watching it.

Christian
08-28-2012, 05:01 AM
U watch anime because I enjoy it, nuff' said.

narutomoon
08-28-2012, 05:59 AM
U watch anime because I enjoy it, nuff' said.

But, many people i know (myself included) watch anime for more reasons than just that, and why do you enjoy watching anime?

ShadowMr.L
08-28-2012, 03:09 PM
(This is how I feel about watching anime.)
I watch anime because it's great watching anime because it gives me something to do. Almost all Anime are unique. A lot of plots keep me interested and I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for more after I've caught up. It's also a great feeling to when you see the first episode of an anime "This anime sucks!" but if you keep watching to the end you'll feel "Wow..this was amazing."

Shantae
08-28-2012, 05:19 PM
(Might include Pokemon but in general...)
I watch the Anime because it something that I can watch other than watching sports, etc. Including that, gives me the whole thing what's about and looking the characters in depth. Some anime shows that I didn't watch but they are unique because maybe of the character's art, or what the show all about. I may someday watch some anime shows if I have my spare time.

UbersSuck20
08-28-2012, 05:51 PM
I have only watched the pokemon anime and Tom and Jerry, because they're really funny.

narutomoon
08-28-2012, 07:15 PM
I have only watched the pokemon anime and Tom and Jerry, because they're really funny.

You have no idea how much you rustled my jimmies with this. Pokemon is indeed an anime, BUT TOM AND JERRY IS NOT AN ANIME. Tom and Jerry is a cartoon, and yes there is a difference. When you actually decide to watch an anime, go ask someone for recommendations, and figure out the difference between a cartoon and an anime.

Luna
08-28-2012, 08:32 PM
The only anime I watch is the Yu-Gi-Oh! series, and, kill me, I watch the dubs. I grew up with GX and still love it to this day, and am now watching 5Ds, which I originally hated.

I guess another reason I watch the Yu-Gi-Oh!(being specific because read above nub) is because it helps me improve MY Yu-Gi-Oh! dueling skills. Sure, they do mess up a few rules (looks at Duelist Kingdom lolololololol) and the only one who plays even CLOSE to the rules is Yusei Fudo. It introduces me to new cards, and even my favourite archetype(not sure if thats the best word for it), the Morphtronics.

I also watch them for pure entertainment value. Sure, the 4Kidz dubs have terrifyingly bad humour, but I am easily amused. Jokes as bad as Jaden(DH;DW Judai) getting a snack in the middle of his duel with Zane(DH;DW Ryo or Kaiser) amuses me even now. But, thats just me.

To put things in an easy way to understand, I watch anime not only to relive the childhood memories I had when Yu-Gi-Oh! GX first came out even now with 5Ds and even to an extent, ZeXaL(which I don't watch because I can only watch one thing at a time and after the first season of 5Ds I plan to watch season 3 and 4 of GX in Japanese because iirc 3 wasn't finished and they didn't bother with 4), it allows me to better myself as a competitive Yu-Gi-Oh! player. Sad reason, I know, but it (kind of) teaches you of the decks you might come across and ways of beating them.

Umbrony
08-28-2012, 08:34 PM
I watch it because I can.
And cuz I'm an otaku. A serious one.

Davismt
08-28-2012, 08:41 PM
For me, there really is no specific reason that I watch anime. If there was it would be, like Tux said, for entertainment purposes only. I just enjoy the kind of shows like anime, those magical-like fighting shows.

Spitfire
08-28-2012, 08:50 PM
shoutouts to spitfire for not being dumb and not wanting to move to japan because of anime.

Well it's rather stupid to want to go live in another country and put all the effort into going there when it's just for their TV shows. I mean Asian culture has always been rather interesting to me, it was Chinese culture before Naruto Nation came along. However my point is if you want to move to another country for such a stupid reason then you really should not be going. Especially to a nation like Japan which has a lot of quirks to the way they do things and on top of that you'll be picked on for not being Japanese as they are ethnically pure. There are a lot of different factors to take into account.

I watch it because I can.
And cuz I'm an otaku. A serious one.

Maybe a low level otaku. Go watch a few hundred episodes and well over one hundred series before you even say that. ShadowMr.L, narutomoon, and I practically eat sleep and breathe the stuff. Just Sunday I did a marathon for nine hours watching anime almost continuously through that time.

Shiningbolt
08-29-2012, 04:11 AM
Although I don't really watch anime, I do so because I find it to be entertaining. I'm usually drawn to the depth of the story or just the fantastical element of the ones I watch. Sometimes, I think it's really funny or well-written, and I usually appreciate the art that's done on them. It's simply another way for me to entertain myself, like most of what I do.

Minntul
08-29-2012, 07:10 AM
Although I'm not the biggest anime viewer, I watch it because I just love the world and character's within it. It's great when a show can immerse you into its world and how the characters can react you every strange thing. A lot of anime have a great storyline that it can actually make you want to watch all episodes, if there's 24 episodes to 100.

http://rustledmyjimmies.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/ONLY-THE-DEAD-CAN-KNOW-PEACE-FROM-THIS-RUSTLING.jpg

Qwerty
08-30-2012, 03:42 AM
It's fun.
Do I really need to say anything else?

Merga
08-30-2012, 04:04 AM
Because Shad and Spitfire are sucking me in, please bring me food.

I watch anime because it is more deep than most shows that you will see in America. I know I don't watch much anime, and I would be eaten alive if I were ever in an anime discussion, but I do like a good story, and it helps with variety in your taste in entertainment. Therefore, I really don't see a reason not to watch anime.

The Arrow
08-31-2012, 04:18 PM
I watch anime because it peaks my interest like no other. I like the characters involved and the world is much different than anything else. It also occupies my time quite well.

gdk1dufner
08-31-2012, 05:58 PM
I like anime because they are very entertaining and adventures. I mostly like to watch comedy anime series.

PichuSummer
09-01-2012, 08:42 AM
I watch Anime because it's enjoyable, and different from American and European cartoons...

Shaymin
09-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Mainly because good shows on TV have declined in good shows.

Also because I stumbled upon Inuyasha when I couldn't get to sleep. Yep, only anime gives me peace.

Gamersaiyan4
09-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Hmmmmmmmm well it's hard to say really it's just that when I was five or six I was dragged into naruto then 2 years later I was DEEP into Bakugan I had all the toys and I still have some to this day I started up on dragon ball z (right in the middle of the frieza saga)then I got sooooooooooo into it that I practically know everything about it (forgot to add code lyoko in early childhood)so in a nutshell that's my anime experience

Spitfire
09-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Hmmmmmmmm well it's hard to say really it's just that when I was five or six I was dragged into naruto then 2 years later I was DEEP into Bakugan I had all the toys and I still have some to this day I started up on dragon ball z (right in the middle of the frieza saga)then I got sooooooooooo into it that I practically know everything about it (forgot to add code lyoko in early childhood)so in a nutshell that's my anime experience

>Naruto
>>Bakugan

Poor soul you took the wrong path in life.

narutomoon
09-23-2012, 04:40 PM
>Naruto
>>Bakugan

Poor soul you took the wrong path in life.

This. This. This. oh, and did i mention this?
Also, code lyoko is french animation, not anime.

Spitfire, you should recomend this poor poor soul some actual good anime.

Leafeon
09-23-2012, 05:53 PM
yes i wacth anmie what kind of craziness is that?

Shaymin
09-23-2012, 08:45 PM
Glad to know I'm not talking among plebeians, if you know what I mean.

ValuableVictini
09-23-2012, 09:12 PM
Anime is good because its.... different. It's entertaining and different.

Kyoits
09-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Hmm. I've never thought of why i watch it, i'll just say because of the entertainment.

Red
09-24-2012, 01:01 AM
yes i wacth anmie what kind of craziness is that?
What is anmie and how does one wacth it?

Judge Mandolore Shepard
09-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Why do I watch anime? I guess I never really thought about this before. I guess the main reason I watch anime is because I see it as a medium for a viewer to explore new worlds without actually leaving this one.

Yui
09-25-2012, 09:52 PM
I don't watch anime because I want to "escape from reality" so much as to just take a break sometimes. When you have 2 AP courses (maximum as a sophomore) and 4 honors courses along with Jazz Bands, clubs, and internships, it can get overwhelming sometimes. That's usually why I watch it, just so I can be entertained and not stressed for 20 minutes to an hour a day.

Another reason is because of the impossible scenarios that the anime I watch pose. Like harem, incest harem, gods involved in life, etc. etc.
I just love to watch them and laugh. I don't wish my life were like an anime, because that's just not the person I am. I'm content with my life, but I do like to watch them just to find something to relieve stress and break the boundaries of possibility.

Glace
09-29-2012, 11:17 PM
I watch it because my Dad got me into Naruto anime at the age of seven :P

Kyoits
10-01-2012, 11:49 PM
I watch it because my Dad got me into Naruto anime at the age of seven :P

Your dad likes anime? My dad hates anime.

Majorasfan
10-25-2012, 02:15 AM
I find anime to have a lot of pluses that western shows, or even western animation, doesn't have. The art style is beautiful, and it's very different from what is done here in the West. The storyline of most of the anime I watch is incredible, and I really get engrossed - take Death Note or example. Also, just like with cartoons, anime can do a lot of things that would cost ridiculous amounts of money to make possible in real live acting - Superpowers, mass destruction, amazing fight scenes.. all with animation. It also gives me an escape from normal things around me that I see everyday, and broadens my horizons culturally.

That's about it. xD

♏Ա§♪ℂ~
11-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Because when I get bored I decide to watch something. And like Majorasfan said, the art drawings are very advanced!~ And that's about all.

Ayra
11-22-2012, 03:20 PM
i watch anime when i'm bored a'f and i have nothing better to do then order an anime package from my OnDemand television service

Sir Muffin of Saucer
11-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Because it's entertaining and TV is a steaming pile of horse****.

Leafeon
12-03-2012, 08:24 PM
I watch animes cause they're interesting. Like shojo animes or something like that takes my interest.

Wolfy
12-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Let's be honest here. We all watch anime because it's our life.

Patriot
12-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Why do I watch anime? It's simple. It's much better than what appears on American TV nowadays and can actually capture my attention, and that my friends, defines entertainment.

megagamer
12-05-2012, 12:02 PM
My parents are agaisnt anime and dont let me watch it. But when they are gone i watch it sometimes.

newsupermariobros
12-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Mostly because it gives me something to do.

Blue
12-30-2012, 07:47 PM
I don't watch it because I don't have time.

I do watch it because it's entertaining.

Christian
12-31-2012, 12:03 AM
Because it passes time and I enjoy it.

phantomscar
01-01-2013, 05:59 AM
Stories are enjoyable, funny, emotional and are impactful. Also, i tend to get bored at around 12 at night

Krauersaut
01-26-2013, 10:34 PM
I watch Anime because they are cartoons for teenagers. 'Nuff said. :D

Pokemon73
01-27-2013, 07:15 PM
I watch it because I have no life

Dragonite
01-27-2013, 07:16 PM
Anime . . . it's a heck of a lot better than American cartoons.
I watch it when I'm bored.

DarkSide
02-02-2013, 08:23 PM
I watch it cuz it's awesome, nuff said :P