PDA

View Full Version : Paralympic Games

Tuxy
08-28-2012, 09:19 AM
So, tomorrow is the start of the London 2012 Paralympic Summer Games, the biggest sports festival for disabled athletes. The Paralympic Games are sadly not covered by the media as much, but I'll ask you: Will you try to follow them anyway? How much does the media do in your country? Who will you be cheering for?

In Austria, there is only a round-up of the events from the day before on TV at ~12 noon. I will try to follow our athletes and cheer for them as usually, and hope that one day the Paralympic Games find more attention in the world-wide media.

DeMrTeunio
08-28-2012, 09:27 AM
The Paralympics are beautiful. The regular athletes already have to go through a lot, but the paralympics athletes have to struggle with so much more. Dutch TV broadcasts the Paralympics twice each day, at 7 PM on the channel Netherlands 1 and at a later, variable time at night on Netherlands 3. I don't think that's enough credit for the paralympic athletes, in my opinion it should be more like the actual olympics, but elections are coming up September 12th so right now the non-commercial channels are too busy broadcasting political news.

Umbrony
08-28-2012, 10:55 AM
I'll be watching and cheering! :3 Bless them for having so much heart!

The Arrow
08-28-2012, 03:42 PM
I will be watching because I feel so sorry for them.

ShadowMr.L
08-28-2012, 03:44 PM
I'll be trying my best to watch. I wish everyone good luck in them.

Shantae
08-28-2012, 03:59 PM
I'll try my best to watch it too. Yep, I wish them a good luck!

Davismt
08-28-2012, 08:38 PM
I'll probably be watching. I have a friend who's little brother has problems with his brain which doesn't allow him to process things, and he participated in the Special Olympics, so I'll most likely be watching.

Gold user only thread for the win.

Giratina720
08-29-2012, 01:25 AM
I will try to watch the Paralympic Games if I can find it. My dad is not a fan of Paralympic Games...

Leo2629
08-29-2012, 02:05 AM
In 2008 I watched them, but this year I don't have that opportunity, I'm in Seoul and I don't think they show anything, and if they did I couldn't find out because I don't speak Korean.

UbersSuck20
08-30-2012, 06:55 AM
I will not watch them because they aren't broadcasted in my country.

tinksfinks
09-03-2012, 09:33 AM
I don't watch them. There are daily roundups here at 5pm on tv every day. I mean, with all due respect to the athletes(and a lot of respect I have for them) I just don't think watching the games are as exciting as the regular Olympics. Besides coverage is pretty poor where I live anyway. But even if I had a chance to watch it, I doubt I will.

super dill
09-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Sometimes i watch it but most of the time i find a movie i really like!

DeMrTeunio
09-10-2012, 05:10 PM
The Paralympics were absolutely awesome. As always, it was great to see how the paralympic athletes got around their limitations and did inspirational things. But what was even more impressive to me was the enthusiasm of the supporters. In Beijing, one of the drawbacks was that the crowd for the Paralympics wasn't actually there out of their own free will. This time though, people came from all over the United Kingdom to cheer for the athletes. It shows that the Paralympics aren't there because the Olympic Comittee felt sorry for disabled athletes, it's there as an independent sports event that rivals the actual Olympics. So my thanks to the British fans who never lost interest during the Olympics, and didn't lose interest during the Paralympics either. These were probably the best Paralympic games ever.

EDIT: Also, 39 medals for Holland!

Umbrony
09-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Tux, how did we manage to win so many medals? O.o we exceeded our expectations! W00T W00T!!!

Tuxy
09-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Tux, how did we manage to win so many medals? O.o we exceeded our expectations! W00T W00T!!!

What exactly do you mean by that?

And yes, these really were the greatest Paralympics of all time. The British crowd was amazing! The only problem was that, mostly for TV purposes, some classes in Athletics have been merged or entirely taken away from the schedule. For example, in 2008, Austrian Thomas Geierspichler won the Marathon T52 in World Record time. Because all of the middle- and long-distance competions for this class have been taken out of the schedule, he had to compete in 100, 200, 400 and 800 m.
Overall, our athletes performed a lot better than expected. Our goal was to reach the mark of 2008, 6 medals, and we got 13. Feels great that we performed well there, after our disastrous Olympcis. If our soccer team'll win against Germany tomorrow, I'll be the happiest person alive.

Gazzbonazza10
09-12-2012, 02:01 PM
well that was good :) :) :) {yes I'm british}

Umbrony
09-12-2012, 08:32 PM
What exactly do you mean by that?

And yes, these really were the greatest Paralympics of all time. The British crowd was amazing! The only problem was that, mostly for TV purposes, some classes in Athletics have been merged or entirely taken away from the schedule. For example, in 2008, Austrian Thomas Geierspichler won the Marathon T52 in World Record time. Because all of the middle- and long-distance competions for this class have been taken out of the schedule, he had to compete in 100, 200, 400 and 800 m.
Overall, our athletes performed a lot better than expected. Our goal was to reach the mark of 2008, 6 medals, and we got 13. Feels great that we performed well there, after our disastrous Olympcis. If our soccer team'll win against Germany tomorrow, I'll be the happiest person alive.

I was cheering for Austria's team cuz I usually don't watch them, so I just cheered by your side. xD

Tuxy
09-12-2012, 08:33 PM
I was cheering for Austria's team cuz I usually don't watch them, so I just cheered by your side. xD

You... could have explained or at least told me! xD But thank you!