PDA

View Full Version : iOS Jailbreaking

Chihaya
09-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Just the other day my sister was talking about how her friend jail-broke their phone. In my honest opinion I didn't think too much of it at the time. Many people before I had heard in conversation talked about "jailbreaking", or something along those lines, but I wasn't exactly so sure of what they were talking about. Upon further research I gathered that it's removing the limitations on an Apple product, such as an iPhone, iPad, and so on.

EDIT; Or, if not exactly jailbreaking, perhaps rooting an Android or performing a similar method on technology?

To those that know about this, have you or would you want to jailbreak an item? Or think it's a horrible practice?

Uzi
09-09-2012, 12:07 AM
I know this as Homebrew. I've done it to my Wii and I pretty much support it. It allowed me to softmod my Wii with the risk of me bricking it, but I got to do some interesting this. I was able to emulate games, load Gecko OS and use texture hacks / SSBB mods such as Brawl-, Brawl+, and Project: Melee (Got to play an Alpha release of it, was so cash.).

There is a problem when people go to far, however. Which caused the PSN Hacking of last year, involving GeoHot and Sony killing emulation of games on PS3. Other than that, I support it because well, it just unlocks a device and allows you to use it to it's fullest potential. GeoHot is stupid as hell, anyway. When something gets killed for good you shouldn't try to bring it back from the dead.

Blue
09-09-2012, 12:11 AM
Jailbreaking gives you access to another app store called "cydia" basically it allows you to theme or tweak your iOS device to your hearts content. I did this with my iPod touch. And it's completely legal, proof: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/feds-ok-iphone-jailbreaking/. Millions of iOS devices are jailbroken.

On android rooting gives you complete control over the files on your phone. In the market they have exclusive apps for rooted phones (overclock cpu, adblock, backup, screen recorder) you can also install custom operating systems or roms such as cyanogenmod.

Edit: the title of this thread should be "Jailbreaking" because this isn't exclusive to iOS

pikachumaster
09-09-2012, 01:13 AM
I jailbreaked (jailbroke, I'm not sure yet) my iPhone and it's great. I support jailbreaking all the way!

Chihaya
09-09-2012, 02:11 AM
I know this as Homebrew. I've done it to my Wii and I pretty much support it. It allowed me to softmod my Wii with the risk of me bricking it, but I got to do some interesting this. I was able to emulate games, load Gecko OS and use texture hacks / SSBB mods such as Brawl-, Brawl+, and Project: Melee (Got to play an Alpha release of it, was so cash.).

There is a problem when people go to far, however. Which caused the PSN Hacking of last year, involving GeoHot and Sony killing emulation of games on PS3. Other than that, I support it because well, it just unlocks a device and allows you to use it to it's fullest potential. GeoHot is stupid as hell, anyway. When something gets killed for good you shouldn't try to bring it back from the dead.

I suppose I would never jailbreak an item because I'm too paranoid about something going terribly wrong. Isn't it terribly risky? I felt that in order to perform the process you have to risk either losing or "breaking" your phone. If the jailbreak isn't performed correctly does the phone simply remain the same, become slightly slower, or doesn't work at all? I'm sorry, just a little curious. ;;

Spitfire
09-09-2012, 02:16 AM
Well I would just like to note my cellular service in Cincinnati Bell and because of how Apple formats their phones I can not use it with Cincinnati Bell's network unless it is jailbroken.

Blue
09-09-2012, 02:24 AM
Well I would just like to note my cellular service in Cincinnati Bell and because of how Apple formats their phones I can not use it with Cincinnati Bell's network unless it is jailbroken.

Can't you just ask the carrier to unlock the phone? If it's off-contract most of the time they will.

Ice
09-09-2012, 02:28 AM
I would jailbreak my iPhone if I often used it for non-phone purposes. I really see no problem with people that do this.

Spitfire
09-09-2012, 02:30 AM
Can't you just ask the carrier to unlock the phone? If it's off-contract most of the time they will.

No there's legal issues with them doing that.

Uzi
09-09-2012, 02:38 AM
I suppose I would never jailbreak an item because I'm too paranoid about something going terribly wrong. Isn't it terribly risky? I felt that in order to perform the process you have to risk either losing or "breaking" your phone. If the jailbreak isn't performed correctly does the phone simply remain the same, become slightly slower, or doesn't work at all? I'm sorry, just a little curious. ;;

It's only risky if you do risky things. Like, say if you wanted to get a free Wii Shop game, you'd risk bricking your Wii if you messed up with the .WAD files. I never tried doing so, because of the risk but I do know a guy who has done it a few times successfully to get Mario Party / Majora's Mask.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Brick
more information there^

Blue
09-09-2012, 02:40 AM
No there's legal issues with them doing that.

It's legal, carriers can unlock your cell phone, I did it.

Assuming you are off-contract.

If you are not, it's still legal to do it yourself but they wont unlock it for you, when they do it for you it's permanently unlocked.

Kamex
09-09-2012, 02:41 PM
I jailbroke my ipod touch. I can't go back! But I suggest you jailbreak an ipod touch/iphone that has more than 8GB of memory. That way, when you decide not to jailbreak it, you won't lose that much memory.

Spitfire
09-09-2012, 03:13 PM
It's legal, carriers can unlock your cell phone, I did it.

Assuming you are off-contract.

If you are not, it's still legal to do it yourself but they wont unlock it for you, when they do it for you it's permanently unlocked.

Not quite because of Apple's copyright claims on the iPhone and various patents saying you can't tamper with them. Howev- Oh you're from Cali, the laws regarding things are different. In Ohio you can't, besides in all honesty there'd be no reason to NOT jailbreak it.

Umbrony
09-09-2012, 04:43 PM
I jailbroke my ipod touch. I can't go back! But I suggest you jailbreak an ipod touch/iphone that has more than 8GB of memory. That way, when you decide not to jailbreak it, you won't lose that much memory.

Is it possible to Jaibreak an IPad? What are the benefits of That?

Blue
09-09-2012, 05:06 PM

You go back by putting your iPod into DFU mode (Google it) and iTunes will pop-up saying you have to restore it, click restore..

Blue
09-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Is it possible to Jaibreak an IPad? What are the benefits of That?

Yes. You get access to themes, tweaks, your able to customize your iPad to your heart's content.

sonriopoby123
09-15-2012, 04:20 PM
There are some consequences if you jailbreak it wrong. Some things on your item will stop working.

My niece's Wii has Homebrew, but now it won't let us connect to Wi-Fi. We need to update it, but it won't work.

I personally never liked it. I fear if you do it, your item will break and shut down for good. I never cheat, never hack, never ever.

Uzi
09-15-2012, 05:49 PM
My niece's Wii has Homebrew, but now it won't let us connect to Wi-Fi. We need to update it, but it won't work.

Your niece done goofed. My Wii could connect to weefee.

sonriopoby123
09-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Yet it was my so-called "electronic genius" of a brother that did it......

Blue
09-16-2012, 03:27 AM
Yet it was my so-called "electronic genius" of a brother that did it......

What is the error code? Because there's a chance I know what's going on.

Flubbs
09-18-2012, 05:35 AM
My Ipod touch is jailbroken and my favorite thing that I was able to add on there is definitely the activator. All I have to do to change my music is simply click the home button twice and it's done. I also enjoy the custom themes and free apps you get as well.

Patriot
09-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Activator + SBSettings + AdBlock niftiest addons ever.
(I do other stuff with it but I'm not gonna disclose that)

Gazzbonazza10
09-18-2012, 01:28 PM
despite it being clearly legit, I'm not gonna jailbreak my android because I could mess it up, (I'm sort of a clumsy person, despite being good with tech) but it seems quite... <insert 6 letter word here> up

Blue
09-19-2012, 02:03 AM
despite it being clearly legit, I'm not gonna jailbreak my android because I could mess it up, (I'm sort of a clumsy person, despite being good with tech) but it seems quite... <insert 6 letter word here> up

Rooting Android is way harder...

joebob2311
09-22-2012, 01:40 AM
I would love to jailbreak but I think it is kind of risky.

Blue
09-28-2012, 05:34 AM
I would love to jailbreak but I think it is kind of risky.

With iOS if you download the right jailbreak for the right firmware and device there is only about a 0.1% chance of it messing up. And if it does, you have a high change of being able to fix it.

Kyoits
09-29-2012, 11:07 PM
I like the idea of it mostly because what my cousin told me about it. She was on her laptop (this was when i was in high school) and she was using her Iphone and she was like "Woo-Hoo" and then i was like "What, what's happening" because at the time i didn't know how to jailbreak on my phone so she showed me and i was all scared because the name sounded dangerous but then i learned that it wasn't bad at all for me.