PDA

View Full Version : Anime Suggestions?

SilkShadow
09-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Hey guys,
Im sure several people are going to laugh at me for this statement: i have never watched anime. Not one episode. And every time I browse the forms, i look at this sub forum and get all depressed because i have no idea what the heck people are talking about. I would like to fix this terrible problem by watching some [insert bad word plus "ing" here] Anime! But i have no idea where to start? Can someoe give me a good series to watch (in english) so i can stop being the dumbest on the forums? Thanks!

Shaymin
09-16-2012, 12:17 AM
Hey, that's not a problem.

My suggestion: Lucky Star.

Reason: Lucky Star gives the most basic of anime terms such as "moe" and "tsundere", so it's a great starting point. The dub is also really good and extremely accurate, unlike animes that are dubbed by 4Kids (never watch those dubs, by the way). Thankfully, it's one of those animes that keeps the honorifics (-san, -chan, etc.), so if you plan on moving on to English subs after a few animes, you should be familiar with honorifics (example, in Sword Art Online, the female protagonist calls the male protagonist Kirito-kun). It also gives a lot of anime references, so if you're looking for an anime after you're finished watching Lucky Star, you should be able to find another one easily within one of the episodes. The downside is that it's one of those animes that doesn't have a male protagonist (while most animes do).

Or if you're looking for an anime that feels more like a "real" anime, try watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, what I like to call Lucky Star's counterpart because of the voice actors.

SilkShadow
09-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Hey, that's not a problem.

My suggestion: Lucky Star.

Reason: Lucky Star gives the most basic of anime terms such as "moe" and "tsundere", so it's a great starting point. The dub is also really good and extremely accurate, unlike animes that are dubbed by 4Kids (never watch those dubs, by the way). Thankfully, it's one of those animes that keeps the honorifics (-san, -chan, etc.), so if you plan on moving on to English subs after a few animes, you should be familiar with honorifics (example, in Sword Art Online, the female protagonist calls the male protagonist Kirito-kun). It also gives a lot of anime references, so if you're looking for an anime after you're finished watching Lucky Star, you should be able to find another one easily within one of the episodes. The downside is that it's one of those animes that doesn't have a male protagonist (while most animes do).

Or if you're looking for an anime that feels more like a "real" anime, try watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, what I like to call Lucky Star's counterpart because of the voice actors.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look it up!

Chihaya
09-16-2012, 01:35 AM
Ooh, this really is a good starting point to the world of anime. I will thank you in advance for viewing my post and taking consideration of the few anime that I'll list. Some of the ones I recommend I'll put warnings and some good aspects of, so... Yeah. //

Death Note; if you have time and really like the whole "good" versus "evil" type theme, Death Note is a really good anime. Whether you vote for one side or the other, it'll make you think about your decision, and whether you're a "greedy", "selfish", etc. type person. Death Note really is a psychological-type anime. The manga itself is incredibly lengthy on terms of word-play and character dialogue [as the anime a bit] but its sooo good. There are some swear words here and there...

Puella Magi Madoka Magica; it's a mahou shoujo [magical girl] anime, but has a bit of a twist to it? Perhaps you'll give this shoujo anime a try? I would ramble on more about it, but...

Higurashi/Umineko no Naku no Koro ni; it's a really good anime about friendship and human nature. And by human nature, I mean the lengths a person would go to save or sacrifice a person that's close to them. It's a little bloody, but that doesn't suspend it's awesome psychological/supernatural thing behind it. I believe there's some swearing here and there? But not a ridiculous amount.

Ah... Yeah. I hope that's OK. ; w ;

EpicCh33se
09-16-2012, 01:42 AM
I would highly recommend watching Clannad and Clannad ~After Story~ FIRST. Clannad makes you realize how beautiful anime really is, so how is that not a great start?

This is going to help you a LOT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Clannad_episodes
Make sure you don't read on, as there are MAJOR spoilers.

As far as I know, two groups have subbed Clannad: One with blue text, and the other with green text. I recommend you watch Clannad with the green colored subs. I personally think that it is the most accurate and gives the most depth.

Umbrony
09-16-2012, 02:56 AM
http://superskarmory.net/forum/showthread.php?138-Recommend-an-anime!

Look here for more options~

Minntul
09-16-2012, 03:10 AM
As your first anime? Uh... I'd say go with something popular like Dragon Ball Z. It sounds cliche, but Dragon Ball Z really helped me get into anime a little better. It's very basic compared to newer anime but it'll still have you entertained with its fighting scenes and interesting characters. It also has a great English dub by Funimation, but don't be fooled as a lot of other anime is meant to be watched with the Japanese voices with subtitles, because Japanese voice actor's have so much SOUL.

Lucky Star also seems like great starting point based on what ssshaymin said.

Shaymin
09-16-2012, 04:39 AM
Lucky Star also seems like great starting point based on what ssshaymin said.

Thank you. Actually, now that I think about it, Lucky Star seems more like a "tutorial" anime.

Believe it or not, SilkShadow, you're very lucky that you haven't watched a single anime episode yet, despite what I call people like that. People who are first exposed to anime are usually (for some reason, people ignore "usually" and "mostly") sticklers to anime such as Yu-gi-oh! and Naruto, and will not turn to any other anime despite the recommendations of other people. You are wise to turn to people who are knowledgeable about anime.

ShadowMr.L
09-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Lawl I remember my first Anime. I recommend you check out Tsuritama. It's a fishing anime, but it's not just limited to fishing. I found it to be quite enjoyable. It is 12 episodes long. I think it'd be a perfect start for you.

Ice
09-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Thank you. Actually, now that I think about it, Lucky Star seems more like a "tutorial" anime.

Believe it or not, SilkShadow, you're very lucky that you haven't watched a single anime episode yet, despite what I call people like that. People who are first exposed to anime are usually (for some reason, people ignore "usually" and "mostly") sticklers to anime such as Yu-gi-oh! and Naruto, and will not turn to any other anime despite the recommendations of other people. You are wise to turn to people who are knowledgeable about anime.
I actually started watching stuff like YGO and Naruto on CN as a kid. However, once I started becoming involved in internet communities I branched out and started watching a variety of stuff and using subs instead of watching dubbed. I don't have a big problem wit those genres or anything, but it would be stupid to just confine myself to them. However, you're right, I have actually noticed a lot of people here who never branched out and are unwilling to watch any anime aside from the newest dubbed Pokemon episode.

Also, I should really look at Lucky Star. Is it true that it's basically an anime parody of other animes? Because I've heard it described that way before.

Shaymin
09-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Also, I should really look at Lucky Star. Is it true that it's basically an anime parody of other animes? Because I've heard it described that way before.

Basically, yeah if you put it that way. A lot of elements from other animes such as Shuffle! and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (has a lot of references to, by the way) make a cameo, including some old animes like Gundam and Initial D.

http://superskarmory.net/forum/showthread.php?138-Recommend-an-anime!

Look here for more options~

Uh, you do realize that's only for people who have finished quite a few animes and are looking for another one? We're talking about a complete novice to anime here.

Yui
09-16-2012, 07:57 PM
I strongly recommend not watching the dubbed version of an anime. Some are okay, but personally I find the subs much better. The concept of watching something from a different language with subtitles may be a little weird at first, you'll get used to it and will end up liking it much better!!

Minntul
09-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Uh, you do realize that's only for people who have finished quite a few animes and are looking for another one? We're talking about a complete novice to anime here.

Please excuse Emily, she tries her hardest to act like a mod :3

ShadowMr.L
09-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Please excuse Emily, she tries her hardest to act like a mod :3

So, that means all the time?

CaptainRed1000
09-17-2012, 04:29 AM
I kinda have the same problem.
The only anime Australia has at the moment is Sinnoh League Victors, and I've seen every episode, back to front, front to back. It's getting kinda boring now, no good anime to watch anymore :(

SilkShadow
09-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! Ill watch as many of them as i can!

sonriopoby123
09-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Bobobo-bo-bo-bobo.

IT'S AWESOME.

Cutiepuffle
09-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Personally if you are VERY used to cartoons go with Pokemon.
Dragon Ball's another one, but you gotta watch from the first episode of Z or DB before it can even make sense.

narutomoon
09-27-2012, 11:58 PM
Ok, i see some recomendations here that i wouldnt sugest you start with. For example, DO NOT start with pokemon. Pokemon is ok, but its not great and if you start with it then you might end up like the people who only watch animes like pokemon, naruto, bleach, dbz, etc. Some animes i would sugest are

1. Death Note
2. Durarara
3. Lucky Star (I havent seen it but from what i read you guys saying it sounds like a good starting anime)
4. One Piece (although only 206 of the 565 episodes are dubbed and you cant watch all the dubs for free)
5. Clannad and Clannad-after story

those are just abut 5 recommendations for a starter anime. If you decide you like anime and you want to watch more, i can give you loads more recommendations for different genres. Also, if you havent guessed by now, anime is like my life.

Rainbowdash372
09-28-2012, 01:39 AM
If you like a halloween type show or just like action with a slice of comedy, watch Soul Eater it pretty good or if u like pure action with a bit of Giant Robots in it watch Gurren Laagan. You can find both of these shows on Netflix if you want

Kyoits
09-28-2012, 02:00 AM
Come on you know i would find this thread. I would suggest DBZ, because it was really the first real anime that i've watched and it really impressed me. The storyline is fantastic and the characters have very intresting backround stories specifically the saiyans and Frieza. So i would recommend this anime for anybody really if they like animes and fighting but with some funny scenes so that you can get a break from all of the intense fighting going on. DBZ is just all around a very good anime and highly recommended.

Suikiba
10-10-2012, 05:17 AM
i reccomend Ginga Nagareboshi Gin (and all the sequels) and Death Note.