PDA

View Full Version : Game Rating Session 1: Magicka {SPOILERS ALERT}

CaptainRed1000
09-17-2012, 01:53 AM
Hey everyone, CR1000 here with a new series, the Game Rating.
Here, I choose a game that I've played, then I analyze and rate it.
In the replays section below, you guys can give your own rating and/or suggest a game for me to rate. Beware, there will be spoilers somewhere within my analysis.

Magicka:
Now, I've played many games that gives you different abilities and powers, but Magicka gives the player many different ways to harness the different abilities, powers and elements. It was developed by Arrowhead Studios on January 25th, 2011 and sold 200,000 copies on the first 17 days of sale.
There are many DLCs that came with the game, such as Magicka Vietnam, which gives the player a new challenge map, Mages Robe, and spell.
Most of the vocal dialogue in in Swedish, however the subtitles are on default English (this can be changed in the Options menu).
The storyline is full of references, like a Castlevania reference in Vlad's Castle and the names of Arrowheads workers on the gravestones in a small cemetery.
The storybook format that the game is set in is awesome.

There are some in-game flaws that I should mention. The first is one of the spells learnt after the Tutorial, which is called "Crash To Desktop". As the name suggests, it is a very buggy spell, but it doesn't cause the game to crash. Instead, it deletes a random entity on the screen, causing death of the player, loss of held items, bugged out boss fight if boss is affected. This spell can be very annoying and very dangerous.

Something that could be considered a flaw is the fact that the game has no inventory. This is very minor flaw, none that deserves much attention.

It starts off with Vlad giving 1-4 Wizards (depending on how many people are playing) a brief description, then sends them to Havindier to aid The King in defending the city. The Wizards fly on airships, save villages and pick new and powerful weapons and staves while they travel to their destination. Once they arrive, they are guided to an inn by Admiral Agnar when The King is unavailable. Once they wake, the find out that the city is under attack. They fight their way through hordes of warlocks, orcs and goblins. When they reach The King, they find that he is about to have his head crushed by what is only known as The Machine. The Wizards disable the Machine and defeat the Head Warlock, whereas he is killed when The King picks him up and drops him into a bottomless pit, Star Wars style. The Wizards then head the Orc Leader Khan's fortress, where are defeating him, he reveals that "Grimnier" is plotting something at Worlds End. The Wizards go to Worlds End, where they encounter Grimnier, who is chained to two pillars, but is still able to use powerful Magicks. After an intense battle, a giant being appears behind Grimnier. Vlad also appears and, after seeing that the battle cannot be won, teleports them to the beginning of the game. The Wizards are told to go see a wise and powerful count at his castle. The Wizards go there and find out that Vlad is the count, and he teleports them to the land of the dead. They go find Death, who is angry because there are living in the land of the dead, and attacks. After defeating him, Death teleports them to Fafnir, a master of Magick, whom they must fight. After being defeated, Fafnir teaches them the spell required to defeat Grimnier and teleports them to Worlds End. After watching Vlad send them back in time, the Wizards approach Grimnier once again, and battle. When the giant being appears, they use the spell Fafnir gave them, and the giant being turns into Asstaur, who kills Grimnier and battles the Wizards. After being defeated, Asstaur is banished, and the ghost of Vlad, Grimnier and a random Beholder appear and the game ends.

There are other modes you can play, such as Challenge and Versus.
Versus Mode is where you can face others online in a Free-For-All match.
Challenge Mode is where you (and 3 others) can fight in various arenas against various enemies.
Overall, the graphics were awesome, the depth of what you can do is amazing, the music is sweet, the storyline is hilarious.
A great game in general.

9.5/10

Merga
09-17-2012, 01:59 AM
For an analysis to be good, you also have to state the games flaws as well. No game is perfect, and I'm sure that Magica (note that I have never played this game), has its flaws. I don't think any game that you review deserves a perfect rating, unless you're absolutely sure that there are no problems with the game. Please try again, only this time, state the bad things that this game has as well.

You also spoiled the whole story, which would make people want to read your review less. Maybe they want to play the game because of the story. So try to make reviews as spoiler free as possible next time, you might make some people mad if you don't.

Ice
09-17-2012, 02:03 AM
^This

I know you're probably going to tell me to shut up and that you don't want to start another criticism argument, but seriously, if you are going to review something, you must point out its flaws.

CaptainRed1000
09-17-2012, 02:36 AM
For an analysis to be good, you also have to state the games flaws as well. No game is perfect, and I'm sure that Magica (note that I have never played this game), has its flaws. I don't think any game that you review deserves a perfect rating, unless you're absolutely sure that there are no problems with the game. Please try again, only this time, state the bad things that this game has as well.

You also spoiled the whole story, which would make people want to read your review less. Maybe they want to play the game because of the story. So try to make reviews as spoiler free as possible next time, you might make some people mad if you don't.

I suppose your right, though I did say in the title that there would be spoilers. I did purposefully miss some of the major points of the story, but yes, I shall take your advice next time.

Also Ice, what you say is true, I shall edit that.