PDA

View Full Version : "Like" Button?

Yui
09-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Hi.
I saw Zach make a post that I really like, and I came up with an idea (which he told me to post in here).

Because rep doesn't show who gives it, and that's fine, because that way no one gets butt-hurt, why don't you guys implement a like button? Just like facebook.

That way no one gets offended because there's no "dislike" button, just a like button. It also is a way so that people can see what kind of comments are appreciated in the community. Not only that but it also allows the poster and other people to see specifically who likes that comment.

No one gets their feelings upset, so there really isn't a downside to putting a like button on posts. Even if it doesn't show who likes it, it would still be a good thing to add.
Thanks.

P.S: It would also be a way for regular users, like me, to show appreciation for posts. I've been trying my hardest and yet I can't reach 50 posts, so the implementation of a like button would be great for user like me who are active but can't give +rep.

Minntul
09-20-2012, 07:50 PM
I wouldn't mind this feature that much. I think it'd be nice to have a Like counter on your profile as well.

buy guys

guys

hear me out

we should raid facebook

The Arrow
09-20-2012, 08:15 PM
I think this idea would be good as long as it doesn't become a Facebook. But people will abuse the Like button wouldn't they? It's my opinion.

Tuxy
09-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Interesting idea, but kinda unnecessary, if you think about it. Also, people will abuse this.

DeMrTeunio
09-20-2012, 08:20 PM
I don't see a reason to have one. We just don't need it. If you like a post somebody made, you can give rep or just tell them one way or another. Also, if you add a "like"-function it's all going to be one big popularity contest. No matter how good the idea is, people are always going to feel left out.

I'm sorry. It's a good idea and I see where you're going with it, but it's just not necessary.

Flubbs
09-20-2012, 08:37 PM
I think that this would actually be a good idea to implement. Like the OP said, no one gets hurt and I personally think it would be interesting. There really is no reason to feel left out because someone didn't "like" your post. If you're trying to get other people to like your posts, chances are they won't. Also, if the like counter doesn't count towards anything big, then there's really no reason to abuse it. I don't see anything wrong with it and I think it's a great idea.

Davismt
09-20-2012, 08:39 PM
I agree with DeMrTeunio. If someone likes another users post, then can just give them rep. The reason we have rep is to give it to people whomsoever good posts. If you're a normal user, and you really want to give someone rep, then you should have the patience to become Bronze. There is no need for a "Like" button.

newsupermariobros
09-20-2012, 08:51 PM
This sounds interesting but rating the thread is a little bit the same.What i'm scared about is that people might abuse this.

Red
09-20-2012, 09:06 PM
I don't see how it can be abused. There would be no benefit to it unless the staff decides on giving it an incentive.

Also:

Also, if you add a "like"-function it's all going to be one big popularity contest. No matter how good the idea is, people are always going to feel left out.

Reputation system in a nutshell.

Yui
09-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Like Red said it doesn't matter if people 'abuse' it if it doesn't matter to like rank or anything. I thought it would just be a good way to see the quality of your post. Also like Red said, popularity contest is what the reputation system is. I personally think there is no downside to this, but there are benefits to it.

Also someone might not like the thread that was created, but instead like a single post in that thread.

Austin
09-21-2012, 12:46 AM
Meh, not a bad idea, but I wouldn't use it much if anytime.

Merga
09-21-2012, 12:54 AM
To me, this kind of looks like another form of rep, only it doesn't help towards rank. I kind of find this useless because 1. Logically, it really isn't needed if likes are not as important as rep, and 2. Members will treat this like a popularity contest like they already do with rep, creating another problem. I really don't think we need that, and it is a huge waste of time to create something that really would be ignored (like the arcade...).

Blue
09-21-2012, 01:08 AM
Isn't the thread rating kinda like the 'Like' button?

Shiningbolt
09-21-2012, 01:38 AM
I believe this feature is legit, so you have my support on this one, Hinata. JUST a like button shouldn't bother people too much. I just hope no one gets obsessed over it and checks every single comment...

Umbrony
09-21-2012, 06:04 AM
I believe this feature is legit, so you have my support on this one, Hinata. JUST a like button shouldn't bother people too much. I just hope no one gets obsessed over it and checks every single comment...

Like everything here, you must accept its going to get abused.

On that note, I say why not. I think this sounds like a moderately good idea for the feautures of the forums, and if a plug-in enables it, that'd be sweet!

Spitfire
09-21-2012, 11:04 AM
My only fear is that with a like button people will forget to rep, which is still required to go up through the ranks.

Red
09-21-2012, 11:29 AM
To state my actual opinion on the matter. I'm neither for nor against it because I don't see any downsides or benefits to this feature being added. As long as the site doesn't turn into SuperskarmoryBook I'm fine.

Dabottle
09-21-2012, 03:03 PM
I know that SS is bad, but Facebook is a whole different level of badness.

Christian
09-21-2012, 03:13 PM
To be honest, I don't care. If the staff can be bothered to put in a like button I wouldn't mind, and if they won't I wouldn't care the less.

Super Skarmory
09-21-2012, 05:55 PM
What are we? Facebook? Nah, in all seriousness, it's not a bad idea but currently I don't think it's necessary. I'd also be worried about it drawing attention away from reputation. I'll leave the thread open and sit on the idea but it's unlikely I'll get something like this added anytime soon.

sonriopoby123
09-21-2012, 10:44 PM
As long as it doesn't turn into Facebook. And no "Unlike" button either.

Zachgoose
09-27-2012, 02:23 PM
We are planning on implementing this feature within the next week.

Perhaps it could even replace our current system of giving rep.

Thoughts?

Umbrony
09-27-2012, 02:27 PM
We are planning on implementing this feature within the next week.

Perhaps it could even replace our current system of giving rep.

Thoughts?

Im following you until I can piggyback

Hmm... It may get abused as well. But to be bluntly honest, if it exists, it will be abused and used incorrectly. I think it is a good idea, but let's keep rep too just in case, so that the ranks won't be an issue. xP like a certain number of likes, rep, posts, and amount of time on the site..?

Judge Mandolore Shepard
09-27-2012, 02:27 PM
I don't really like the idea of having a like button here since I would see it as coping Facebook in a certain way. As for the rep system, I have to admit that I like it. Course it does get abused, but it is a good system.

Zachgoose
09-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Well, we'll still give rep.

But maybe "Liking" a post could be the same thing as giving positive reputation.

Kyoits
09-27-2012, 02:41 PM
I think that this system is not needed because the reputation system is already broken and we don't need more of the same thing over again but it would be nice to see who gave the like/rep but if we need the system it won't be that bad.

Garthcune
09-27-2012, 02:46 PM
I've installed and enabled the mod. For some reason, I only see the "Like" button. If the thank and dislike buttons are required, I'll hunt for the option to enable them.

Dabottle
09-27-2012, 04:12 PM
Is there any way to disable the notifications? I don't really care to get notified whenever someone "Likes" a post. This isn't Facebook.

Zachgoose
09-27-2012, 05:31 PM
I have updated it to where it no longer gives new notifications when a post is liked.

Tuxy
09-27-2012, 05:35 PM
After this got implemented, just a simple "Why?" from me. Seriously, this is the most unnecessary and annoying feature ever. It's just gonna lead to more arguing and abusing.

Umbrony
09-27-2012, 05:37 PM
I just noticed that people like Calla and Mega and stuff (yeah I'm calling you out on it) will abuse the system on me and it will decrease my rep and show up on my record. D= maybe this wasn't so smart...

Zachgoose
09-27-2012, 05:46 PM
I have removed the "Dislike" and "Thanks" features entirely for the moment, and it will likely stay that way.

Flubbs
09-27-2012, 05:54 PM
How does liking a post decrease your rep?

Please ignore that post because my computer is stupid and posts it anyway.

The Arrow
09-27-2012, 07:19 PM
This whole forum is turning into Facebook... better yet Eyanbook! *Sigh...*

BreeZaps
09-27-2012, 07:23 PM
I think it best if you remove this. Everyone is talking about it and they dont like it, like what emily said on my wall.
Hey Bree. This new system is bull, I'm starting to see. xD So ya...

Dabottle
09-27-2012, 07:26 PM
It's kind of... useless... and silly.

brecot
09-27-2012, 07:26 PM
It really is a new Facebook. I am going crazy now. What's the like button anyways.

The Arrow
09-27-2012, 07:27 PM
Please, just remove it. It's too much of a popularity contest and it is too much like Facebook. This is a forum not Facebook.

Merga
09-27-2012, 07:30 PM
It's kind of... useless... and silly.

I kind of agree here. Eventually, people will start ignoring this feature and likes will end up being as useful as the arcade right now.

Tuxy
09-27-2012, 07:32 PM
Worst part is this adding to reputation... But unlimited.

Dabottle
09-27-2012, 07:34 PM
It adds to rep?!
brb liking all of urist's posts.

Shantae
09-27-2012, 07:48 PM
>like a post and you receive a rep
>the new way to rep people and then becomes another rep abuse
>Facebook

I don't like this idea, tbh. The Like system is gonna be like the new rep system abuse.
This idea so far is so silly.

Tuxy
09-27-2012, 07:52 PM
It adds to rep?!
brb liking all of urist's posts.

And this is the best proof to show that this system is stupid. Either delete it or don't make it count to rep.

Umbrony
09-27-2012, 07:57 PM
And this is the best proof to show that this system is stupid. Either delete it or don't make it count to rep.

Seven likes a day likes must be refreshed twenty other times to be given to the same person again.

Or maybe something like this

Xerodragon12
09-27-2012, 08:01 PM
NERF PLZ. Or at least give the option to higher ranked people. But seriously. remove it. It's stupid, and we already have a broken system in place.

Dabottle
09-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Seven likes a day likes must be refreshed twenty other times to be given to the same person again.

Or maybe something like this

That's even worse. Just remove it.

Yui
09-27-2012, 08:13 PM
I like how everyone is spazing out over it xD
Pretty cool though that I have the influence to rally enough people to add something to the forums!!
I don't see the problem/why everyone is freaking out.

Tuxy
09-27-2012, 08:39 PM
And then, this happened:
http://puu.sh/19cKn

Umbrony
09-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Pussh is really being a ***** today.

TIM STAHP PLS

The Arrow
09-27-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm sorry guys... I don't know what to do now... :(

Dabottle
09-27-2012, 08:44 PM
You're a dreadful liar. Grow up.

Red
09-27-2012, 08:46 PM
You stop abusing it like a ****ing clod. That's what you do.

Umbrony
09-27-2012, 08:48 PM
DONT HARASS THAT FELLOW MAN.

Don't worry Tim. I just hope you learned your lesson. Let's just let it go and move on with our lives.

Xerodragon12
09-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Can we revoke "liking" privileges from Tim? (or anyone who does something stupid like that)?

Flubbs
09-27-2012, 08:49 PM
http://puu.sh/19cRT

Yeah! Over 100 likes! Wait, this system hasn't been out for even a full day yet. WHAT?

The Arrow
09-27-2012, 08:49 PM
I did learn my lesson. I'm incredibly sorry. At least I didn't give a certain user a ton of rep like LP gave Urist a ton of rep.

Tuxy
09-27-2012, 08:52 PM
http://puu.sh/19cRT

Yeah! Over 100 likes! Wait, this system hasn't been out for even a full day yet. WHAT?

STAHP STEALING OTHER PEOPLE'S PUUSH FILES

And for Tim: I hope you did. I am sure you won't get away with a 1-day-ban the next time you do stuff wrong... again.

Umbrony
09-27-2012, 08:52 PM
I did learn my lesson. I'm incredibly sorry. At least I didn't give a certain user a ton of rep like LP gave Urist a ton of rep.

Oh man, you shouldn't have Said that aloud

Let it go, and a mod close this thread so Zach can make his choice.

Tux you're mean

ShadowMr.L
09-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Can we revoke "liking" privileges from Tim? (or anyone who does something stupid like that)?

I support this.

Minntul
09-27-2012, 09:00 PM
I dunno why you get rep from someone liking your post. That's one of the most expoloitable things on this system and it's just been added today. I was really hoping this system could work, but unfortunately it's ALREADY turned into a "rep your best friend with no limit!!!" type of thing.

It's really quite odd how the like system further damaged the rep system. Yet another example that people here can't be held with enough responsibility to use such a feature and claim it's broken despite the fact THEY'RE one of the reasons why it's broken. If people stopped calling it "broken", people wouldn't feel the need to treat it as such. Maybe next time we can get such a feature like this, you can all just mature the hell up and stop being completely daft.

Umbrony
09-27-2012, 09:01 PM
I dunno why you get rep from someone liking your post. That's one of the most expoloitable things on this system and it's just been added today. I was really hoping this system could work, but unfortunately it's ALREADY turned into a "rep your best friend with no limit!!!" type of thing.

It's really quite odd how the like system further damaged the rep system. Yet another example that people here can't be held with enough responsibility to use such a feature and claim it's broken despite the fact THEY'RE one of the reasons why it's broken. If people stopped calling it "broken", people wouldn't feel the need to treat it as such. Maybe next time we can get such a feature like this, you can all just mature the hell up and stop being completely daft.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks so much. I must like that, sorry. This is an example of a post to like, kids!

Zachgoose
09-27-2012, 09:04 PM
I think it's a shame it's already being exploited.

But I went ahead and made it where likes no longer give rep. This system is not meant to be abused.

You should occasionally give out likes when someone makes a post you enjoyed reading or if somebody helped you out. Every single post you see shouldn't be liked. It's meant to make things less spammy. A simple "like" will do rather than quoting someone and saying "I agree with this opinion" or "Thanks a lot!"

Even what Emily just did above me as I was typing this message.

She quoted Mental just to say "This is a good idea." All it needs is a like and then you should move on.

Tuxy
09-27-2012, 09:05 PM

But I went ahead and made it where likes no longer give rep. This system is not meant to be abused.

You should occasionally give out likes when someone makes a post you enjoyed reading or if somebody helped you out. Every single post you see shouldn't be liked. It's meant to make things less spammy. A simple "like" will do rather than quoting someone and saying "I agree with this opinion" or "Thanks a lot!"

Well, it's already too late for some. But I am glad this is finally cleared! I will try to use this system with responsibility now.

DeMrTeunio
09-27-2012, 09:21 PM
Thank goodness Liking doesn't add to rep anymore, otherwise the reputation system, which is already broken, would've been destroyed completely.

What we have to remember is the original reason for this idea was, to show forum members what kinds of posts are appreciated here. If that is all the Like system will be used for, it might actually be a good addition to the forums. So, fellow users, please use this system responsibly.

Xerodragon12
09-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Thank goodness Liking doesn't add to rep anymore, otherwise the reputation system, which is already broken, would've been destroyed completely.

What we have to remember is the original reason for this idea was, to show forum members what kinds of posts are appreciated here. If that is all the Like system will be used for, it might actually be a good addition to the forums. So, fellow users, please use this system responsibly.

Unfortunately, noobs will always find a way to exploit something.

Zachgoose
09-27-2012, 09:33 PM
I don't want us to have a reputation system at all, but whatever. If this is abused it will just look aesthetically annoying to see "XYZ liked this post!" everywhere.

Spitfire
09-27-2012, 11:53 PM

Even what Emily just did above me as I was typing this message.

She quoted Mental just to say "This is a good idea." All it needs is a like and then you should move on.

Wasn't this pretty much created to be abused though? To me it seems like the sole reason for the existence of the Like button is to a have an unrepping rep for single posts instead of a user. Things like the spam on Emily will never go away and pointless likes will ensue because of how many people on SS operate. Although don't get me wrong I do prefer it to constant repping for simply having some post which was liked given rep just because.

Blue
09-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Instead of getting no rep you should get one rep point for every ten likes or something.

That way you wont get flooded with rep and no rep at all.

Uzi
09-28-2012, 12:14 AM
Instead of getting no rep you should get one rep point for every ten likes or something.

That way you wont get flooded with rep and no rep at all.

I am against this, really. I'm immature and I'm going to make threads similar to "Like this post if you hate Lord Penguin!" in the forum games section.

Umbrony
09-28-2012, 12:29 AM
Things like the spam on Emily will never go away and pointless likes will ensue because of how many people on SS operate.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/24046235.jpg

Course I'm the first to get called out on it. Isn't that given? =D

Uzi
09-28-2012, 12:37 AM
I am going to start handing out infractions if you only post an image as a response. Use words instead of LOL IM SO COOL I USED A MEEEE MEEE TO OWN HIM HIS ARGUMENT IS INVALID XD.

Spitfire
09-28-2012, 01:55 AM

That moment when you point is proved by a post responding to yours.

Uzi
09-28-2012, 02:04 AM

I honestly thought that you guys would not do it so often but it's a serious ****ing problem now. It's not even me being biased, it's me being ticked off.

Spitfire
09-28-2012, 02:10 AM
I honestly thought that you guys would not do it so often but it's a serious ****ing problem now. It's not even me being biased, it's me being ticked off.

What the single image thing?

sonriopoby123
12-31-2012, 04:20 AM
Uh.....
I can't like posts anymore guys.
This has been happening since I turned Emerald. What happened?

Umbrony
12-31-2012, 04:44 AM
YEAH

Me too

I thought it got disabled cuz I liked posts too much. XD

Merga
12-31-2012, 04:51 AM
I think that this is an emerald thing, because I can still like posts. Just a bug if anything.

BreeZaps
12-31-2012, 05:43 AM
I can still like posts. See, I liked Megas post.

Ayra
12-31-2012, 06:06 AM
like this post to troubleshoot your like button problems
probably a bug involving some of the emeralds

Zachgoose
12-31-2012, 07:17 AM
Okay, anyone who stopped being able to "like" should be be able to do it again.