PDA

View Full Version : No Mercy (Get Back Up)

Umbrony
09-25-2012, 03:43 AM
A WISE MAN once wrote: In war, truth is the first casualty.

PREFACE

No one knows how the first Guardian Deities made thier dangerous bargain with the twelve Energy Beings of good fortune. Thew few scrolls and poems that had survived the centuries of the story well after the deal was struck between man and immortals to protect the world. It is rumored however, that a blue folio still is in existence that tells of the violent beginning and predicts a catastrophic real end to the alliance.
The Immortals are elemental beings, able to manipulate Energy and magic, taking any form they please, and they rule the universe together. Each of them is aligned with one of the heavenly animals in the twelve year cycle that of power that has run in the same sequence since the beginning of time: Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Goat, Monkey, Rooster, Dog, and Pig. Each deity is also the guardian of one of the twelve celestial directions, and a keeper of one of the Great Virtues.

Every New Year's Day, the cycle turns, the next animal year begins, and it's being becomes ascendant and ruler of the universe as a whole, it's power doubling for that twelve months. The ascending being also unites with a new apprentice to be trained in the Cosmic Magic, and as this boy steps up to his new life, the prior apprentice is promoted to Guardian Master, and has full power over the deity to claim as his own. He, the apprentice, replaces his master, the new Guardian Master, who retires, exhausted and fatally debilitated by his twenty-four year union with the deity. It's a brutal bargain that gives a Deity Master enormous power- enough to move monsoons, redirect rivers, and stop earthquakes. In return for such control over nature, the Master slowly gives up his life force to his Deity.

Only those boys who can see an energy deity can hope to be a Deity Master candidate. It is a rare gift to see the Deity of your birth year, and even rarer to be able to see any of the other Deities. Every New Year, twelve boys, born twelve years before, face the ascending Guardian and pray that thier gift is enough for the Deity. One of them is chosen, and in that moment of union- and only for that moment, all men can see the Deity in all it's glory.

Women have no place in the world of the Guardian Magic. It is said that they bring corruption to the art and do not have the physical strength or depth of character needed to commune with and Energy Deity. It is also thought that the female eye, too practiced in gazing at itself, cannot see the truth of the cosmic energy world...

CHAPTER ONE

"Your defenses are terrible. Keep your swords up higher, and remain in a tiger stance. That way, you can readily strike your opponent with a counter before they can reach you. Understand, Jason?"
I grit my teeth and raised my swords up a few inches higher, my sweaty palms sliding on the hilt.
"Yes."
"That isn't high enough, Jason. Are you sure you won't need my help at the duel tournament tomorrow--"
"Yes, I said. I'm fine."
I glared at Ant, and he took a step back.
"Woah, calm down there man. There is no need for you to look at me so angrily. Would you like to tell me what is wrong? Maybe I can be of help--" He stammered, but I cut him off with an angry howl.
"I SAID NO!" I slammed my twin swords down into the sand, digging the tips of the blades into the sand.
Ant backed up further at my bristling tail and bared fangs, my ears flat against my head as I growled at him.
"... Well you just want me to go over the routine with you so you can go home..?" He said quietly, inching back towards me with his sword raised in a neutral manner.
"That would be nice."

I let the tips of both my swords dig into the sandy arena floor. It was the wrong move, but the dragging pain in my gut was forcing me into a crouch. I watched as Ant's bare feet shuffled forward, rebalancing his weight for a sweep cut. Training with him always made my innards cramp with fear, but this was different. This was the bleeding pain.
Had I miscounted the days?
"... Are you okay? What are you doing Jason?" Ant asked in a worried tone, obviously having seen the strained expression on my face.
I looked up. Any was standing ready, both of his swords ready for the elegant cross cut that could have taken my head if he was the enemy. His hands tightened around the hilts. I knew he wanted to relax and back down, but it was his requirement as my mentor to be rough on me. So he didn't dare lighten up, might he lose his job, and I'd fall under a trully harsh teacher, like Swordmaster John.
"Are you tired already? That third movement was pretty clumsy and messed up... This isn't like you Jason. Are you okay?"
I shook my head, gritting my teeth against another vice-like pain.
"It is nothing, Ant." I carefully straightened my back, keeping my swords down.
Ant relaxed his stance and stepped back, sighing. "You aren't truly ready for the duels tomorrow, are you? You'll never be ready in time, will you..? You can't even finish the approach form."
He turned in a circle, looking at the walls behind him.
"Have I failed as your mentor..? This form must be flawless and perfect if you are to approach the masters and hope to win tomorrow."
"Yes, Ant." I replied, closing my eyes. "If you allow, I'll try again," I said, another cramp twisted through my body but I didn't move.
"No Jason. You are dismissed. Pack your things and go. I'll see you tomrrow in class, I guess."
Behind Ant, the form of a yellow dragon uncoiled and stared at me. He always seemed to rise up at my anger and disappointment. I focused on the blue shimmering form of another dragon, who always reminded me of waterfalls to grant me his peace and serenity.
I bowed and crossed my swords in salute.
I was the only candidate who saw things like this. The dragons I painted in my notebook always came to life, and they followed me everywhere. I can bring them into focus at will, and rely on thier beauty and wisdom to guide me.
Full sight of the unseen was rare, although, as everyone who was above me liked to remind me, no sure guarantee of success.
I tensed and stepped back, grabbing my bag off the wooden shelf candidates kept thier belongs on.
"Hey, may I talk to you--" Ant's voice came from inches behind me.
My tail bristled, and I lept back too fast, flattening my ears against my head.
WAY too fast.
The sand shifted under my feet, wrenching my right leg to the left. I hit the ground, hard.
One heartbeat of numbed shock, and the pain came.
My foot.
My leg.
My belly.
Oh my belly!
All the other pains were already fading. No there was no pain. I wasn't shattered, I was still a whole person. Thank God.
I rolled over, and placed the palms of my hands to the ground, and swung my leg out, ready to stand up. Suddenly, I felt a hand under each armpit, pulling me upward.
"There you go Jason, are you all--"
"DON'T TOUCH ME!" I jumped backwards, my arms across my chest, my cheeks turning red.
"it's alright!" Ant held up his hands, eyes wide in astonishment. "I just wanted to help you up and see if you were okay."
I glared at him for another interval, my tail lashing back and forth as I decided to just try and leave without this being brought up again.
As another pain shot through my belly, I flung around and grabbed my bag off the sandy floor where it lay after I'd taken my tumble.
"Thank you." I bowed and sheathed my swords into their sheathes across my back, and turned for the door.
"I wanted to tell you good luck out there tomorrow. I'll be cheering for you..." he said quietly, looking down.
I turned and looked at him for a second, narrowing my eyes.
Did he think I was incapable of performing as well as the others?
"... Thanks."
Without another word, I left the room, walking as fast as possible, my fear of them finding her freshly imprinted in my mind.

Them finding Jaycee.

sonriopoby123
09-25-2012, 03:45 AM
Like, whoa.
Awesome story.
I'm still reading.
But it's awesome already.

Glace
09-25-2012, 03:50 AM
It's soooo looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooong. (dango)

And soooo gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooood.

super dill
09-25-2012, 10:39 AM
This is a great story it is really good nice job!

CaptainRed1000
09-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Amazing writing!

BreeZaps
09-25-2012, 02:05 PM
K, Emily love this :) Good story.

Tuxy
09-25-2012, 02:13 PM
A good fanfic? Here? Wow. But I really love this story.

Judge Mandolore Shepard
09-25-2012, 02:27 PM
This story is really quite impressive. As for the line, In war, truth is the first casualty, I know I have heard that line before.

Umbrony
09-25-2012, 08:11 PM
CHAPTER TWO

THE FULL-HOUR BELL was ringing as I finally lifted the latch of the gate that led into the kitchen of my Master's house. Kia, one of the bondsmaids, was standing at the delivery door with the miller's man. I watched as she laughed, her hands spread on her hips to show their generous shape, as the young man hoisted a large sack onto his shoulder. Then she saw me and quickly stepped back into the shelter of the doorway, her coy giggles dropped into the hissing undertones of gossip. The miller's man swung around and stared at me, giving me a nod. I looked away, and made a show of shutting the gate. Better to wait until he followed Kia into the storage rooms.
When the courtyard was clear, I walked slowly up the path toward the kitchen. Ron, the gardener, was on his knees repairing the low bamboo fence that enclosed the Sun Garden. I nodded as I passed, and he waved a dirt-crusted hand. Ron mainly kept to himself, but he always greeted me with gentle courtesy and even had a smile for Billy, the slops boy. But his kindness was not copied by many of my Master's other staff. Our small household was very much divided: those who believed I could be a Deity Master, and those who did not. All who served my master knew that his wealth and money had nearly run dry; there would be no funds to train another candidate. If I did not secure the apprentice bonus and the 20 percent tithe tomorrow, my master was ruined.
The kitchen doorway was open and I stepped over the raised threshold that kept evil spirits from entering the house. Immediately, the heat from the oven pressed against my skin and I smelled the sharp tang of sour plum sauce and salt-baked fish: my Master's evening meal. Kent, the cook, glanced up from the white root he was slicing.
"You is it?" He turned his attention back to the vegetable. "Master has already ordered the gruel," he said, tilting his shaved head at a small pot hanging over the spit fire. "Don't blame me when you eat it. It was according to his instructions."
My evening meal. As part of the cleansing ritual, I was allowed only one bowl of millet gruel before praying throughout the nighttime, to my ancestors for guidance, strength and help. A few months ago, I asked my master whether it mattered that I had no knowledge of my ancestors. he stared at me for a moment, the turned away before replying, "It matters very much." My master was being very careful; he said we must do everything according to Deity Master tradition to avoid attracting council scrutiny. I could only hope that old Mark's precedent for the Reverse Ice Dragon second was in The history scrolls. And that my master could fins it in time. I had failed to master the Fire Dragon third successfully today with Ant, as I'd predicted last night, so I'd spent the night researching which tactic would be able to replace it.
A rasping noise from behind the large wooden preparation table that stood in the center of the room: Billy, calling me from his mat beside the stoves.
"He's been waiting for you," Kent said. "Been under my feet all day." he sliced off the end of the white root with an extra heavy chop. "You tell him I'm not blind, I know he's been at the cheese." Although they had worked in the same kitchen for ten years, Kent still refused to speak to Billy or even look at him. Too much bad luck.
I skirted around the end of the table, and used its worn edge for balance as I sat down on the stone floor beside Billy. He tapped my knee with a clawed finger, his lolling mouth slowly taking the shape of a smile.
"Did you really want some cheese?" I asked softly.
He nodded vigorously and opened his hand to show me a piece of dirty cheese rind. The muscles in his throat strained as he struggled to speak. I listened for his words in the strained elongated sounds.
"for...the...rat." He pushed the rind into my hand.
"Thank you," I said, slipping the cheese into my pocket. Billy was always giving me food he had found. Or stolen. He was convinced that of I fed the big gray rat that lived in the storeroom where I slept, the Rat Deity would repay the kindness by choosing me as his apprentice. I wasn't so sure an Energy Deity would take note of such a thing, but I still gave scraps to the rat.
From beneath his body, Billy pulled out a thick slice of fine bread covered in dust. The master's bread. I glanced at Kent; he was still bent over the white root. I moved to my right until I hid Billy and the bread from view.
"How'd you get that? Kent will whip you," I whispered.
"For you...only gruel tonight...you be hungry tomorrow." he dropped the bread into my lap.
I ducked my head in thanks and stuffed it into my pocket with the cheese. "I think that's the whole idea. They want us to be hungry," I said.
Billy twisted his lips into a puzzled grimace.
I shrugged. "We're supposed to prove our natural stamina by doing the approach ceremony hungry and tired."
Billy rolled his head back and forward across the mat.
"Stu...pid," he said. He took a deep breath, and steadied his head against the side of the firewood box, fixing his eyes on mine.
"Tomorrow morning you come...say good-bye?" his fingers closed around my wrist.
"Come say...good-bye...before the ceremonial duels? Promise?"
Billy knew that if I was chosen, I would not come back. A new apprentice was taken straight to the Deity Worship hall after the ceremony. A new home, a new life. My scalp prickled from a sudden wave of heat and sweat; tomorrow, I could be a Deity Master Apprentice.
"Promise?" Billy repeated, gripping my wrist tighter.
I nodded, unable to talk through the squeeze of panic in my throat.

Even though I knew it was no solid answer.

Davismt
09-26-2012, 02:54 AM
Wow, I can tell that you put a lot of hard work into this. It's great!
>ant
*Gets Reference*
lol

BreeZaps
09-26-2012, 03:35 AM
Emily your a good writer. Im saying this from my heart, this story is so good. ^_^

Umbrony
09-26-2012, 03:55 AM
CHAPTER THREE

"Tell me...what the...Tiger hall...is like...again."

I have only seen the Tiger Deity Worship Hall once. A few months ago during training, Ant and Swordmaster John had marched us all around the Deity circle, the avenue of halls that ringed the outer precinct of the Golden Palace. Each hall had been carefully built at the compass position of the Deity it homered and was the home and workplace of the Deity Master and Apprentice. The Tiger Hall was in the north-west of the circle, and although it wasn't the biggest or the grandest, it was easily three times the size of my Master's house. We were not permitted inside any of the halls, but Swordmaster John allowed us five minutes' rest in the garden that marked the position of the Dragon Hall. Five hundred years ago it burned down; only the stone outline of the building remained embedded in the grass. Ant, my friend Bob and I walked it's perimeter and we were amazed at the number of rooms.
As I snapped out of my thoughts, beside me, Billy closed his eyes, preparing for my words.
"Two gray stone statues of tigers guard the gate," I said, closing my eyes to remember my brief glimpse of the hall. "They Stand bigger than me and twice as wide. The one on the right holds the Master's compass in its jaws, the other one cradles three sacred scrolls. As you walk past them, thier stone eyes follow you. Inside the gate, a courtyard,are of matched dark cobbles leads to the—"
"I don't know why you bother," I heard Kia say. I opened my eyes. She was in the doorway, briskly brushing down her skirt. "The freak doesn't understand your words." She smoothed the looped braid of her hair.
Billy and I exchanged glances. No doubt the millers man was going home happy.
"Sl...u...t," Billy said loudly.
Kia pulled her face into a mockery of Billy's and mimicked his elongated sounds, unaware of the word within them. Billy rolled his eyes at me, his body thrashing against the floor in laughter. I grinned as Kia backed away.
"Freak," She said, her hands balling up into fists. She turned her attention to me. "Master said you were to come to him as soon as you returned," she then added snidely, "although he wasn't expecting you until the end of training time."
"Where is he now?" I asked.
"Sun garden. On the main viewing platform." she smiled slyly. Should I obey my master's ban on the Sun Garden, or obey his summon immediately? He would not be happy with me that I was home so early. Let alone the other news I had for him.
"Kia, do your work," Kent said. "Stop wasting time or you'll feel the back of my hand."
Kia gave me one last gloating look, then hurried into the dark passageway that connected the kitchen to the main house.
There was a saying in one of the other Deity Master texts: A man on the horns of a dilemma ends up with his arse poked. My master would find fault rather I went into the garden or not. Since there was no avoiding his displeasure, I would go to him. At least I could finally see the garden that had won him so much fame.
"Tomorrow," I said to Billy. He gave his slow smile.
I stepped over the threshold into the courtyard. To my left was the gray stone fence of the Sun Garden, It's low metal gate etched with the shape of a leaping tiger. I headed over to it, the promise of my Master's anger dragging at my feet. There were so many ways of telling the truth—I just needed to find one that would satisfy him. All that was visible over the gateway was a black pebble path leading to an impressive stacked slate wall. Along it's face, a waterfall cascaded down into the carefully haphazard run of ledges, pooling into a white marble bowl.
Despite the name, my master had designed the garden to symbolize female energy, and it was said that surfing a full moon, the garden was so beautiful it could rob a man of his essence. When I heard that, I wondered what would become of a man robbed of his essence—would he become a woman, or would he become something else? Something like the Shadow Men Of the court? Or something like me?
There was no latch on the gate. I traced the strong lines of the tiger on the metal for luck—or maybe protection—then pushed against it until the gate swung open.
The black ate was made of pebbles and seemed to move in front of me like the ripple of water. As I stepped onto it, I realized why; the stones had been laid in the subtle graduation of matte to polished that caught the sunlight. On either side, a flat expanse of sand had been raked into swirling patterns. I pushed the gate shut behind me and followed the path to the waterfall wall. The path split around the wall. I paused for a moment, listening. Underneath the sound of the waterfall splashing into the bowl was the muted hiss of more flowing water. No, other sounds of physical movement. But deeper, in my mind, I felt the soft thrum of carefully contained power. I chose the left path and walked around the wall into the main garden.
It was a severe landscape: clutters of rocks on flat sand, swirling paths of black and white pebbles, and an intricate weaving of waterfalls, streams, and pools directing the thrumming energy to the viewing platform. My master was kneeling in its center, as spare and severe as his surroundings. I lowered into a bow, watching for acknowledgement. He didn't budge. There were no signs of anger in the lean lines of his body. A shadow above me made me flinch. I looked up but there was nothing. No bird, nor cloud alike. But the cramps in my belly had eased.
My Master's body stiffened as he focused his eyes on me.
"What are you doing here?"

Replies to constructive criticism and comments on my writing so far:

Thank you guys for all the support. I've been planning this for quite a few weeks, and it is rather easy for me to update this, as I've had the whole story planned ahead of time. If you would like to request the name of a character be included in the story, a suggestion, or what I can improve upon, please state so in the comments. Thank you for taking the time to read this, it means a lot to me. ^_^

Davismt
09-26-2012, 04:19 AM
Sure! I'd love to add a name to the story. As I'm going to be stupid and unoriginal, would the name Davis work?

Umbrony
09-26-2012, 04:23 AM
Okay, I think I should make this. xD So I can stay organized.

REQUESTED NAMES (lol a shame you can't remember this MiMi)

1. Davis (oh no, we're calling him Dave. Sorry. xD)
2. Miles (Tails Prower lol)
3. Yoshihiro (Yoshi! I love all the names I can make bad puns off of =D)

I can only accept seven. xD

Tuxy
09-26-2012, 01:16 PM
There should totally be a character called Xy in there
I want someone named Miles, because that's just such an awesome name.

Also, great story! I look forward to see the rest of this!

Umbrony
09-27-2012, 01:32 PM
CHAPTER FOUR

"What are you doing here?" Master repeated.
"I was told you wished to see me, master." I stammered, crouching lower. There was still no pain from my belly.
"Why are you back so early?"
"Antoine said I need not train anymore," I said carefully.
"You should not be in here. Especially not now. The energies are too strong." He stood up in a single practiced movement, the frayed silver embroideries on his tunic flaring in the sun. "Come, we must leave now."
He held out his hand. I hurried forward and extended my arm, bracing myself as he leaned on me and stepped off the platform.
He paused, still holding my arm. "Do you feel them?" He asked.
I looked up into his gaunt face, the prominent bones made even starker by his shaved skull. "Feel them?"
"The energies." Irritation edged his voice.
I bowed my head. "I can feel the flow of water energy to the viewing platform," I said.
"A novice could feel that. Is there nothing else?"
"No master." It was not the truth, but how could I explain the heat of an imagined shadow? Or the soft unraveling that was the absence of pain?
He grunted. "Then perhaps we have succeeded."
He turned and walked quickly toward the house. I followed two paces behind, concentrating on keeping my footing on the shifting pebbles. For once, each step did not jar with pain. We passed a simple sun altar—a smooth concave stone resting on two smaller rocks—surrounded by a shallow amphitheater of cut marble. Ahead, the pebble path widened in front of another viewing platform that also served as a step up to the house. Two carved doors stood open, allowing a view of floor-to-ceiling scroll boxes, a cabinet, and a dark wood desk. My master's library—another area forbidden to me. Until now. I paused, staring at the shelves of scrolls. My master had drilled me in my letters, and I'd read all the classics and Deity Master texts, but I longed to read of other things.
"Don't just stand there gaping like a fool," My master said, holding out his hand.
I helped him into the platform as Erin, Billy's mother and my Master's body servant, stepped out of the library and knelt at the doorway. For the first time I noticed the swirls of gray hair in the neat loop of her "unmarried" braid. It was meant to be her disgrace, but she wore it with quiet dignity. My master extended his foot and she slid off his scuffed silk slipper, then the other, placing them neatly on a small woven mat.
"We are not to be disturbed," My master ordered. He held out his hand and I helped him over the lip of the threshold.
Erin looked up at me and raised her eyebrows. I twitched my shoulder into a shrug, then hurriedly pulled off my woven straw sandals, grabbing the doorframe for balance. Black dirt striped my feet around the pattern of the straps. I licked my fingers and rubbed the top of each foot, but the dirt just smeared into streaks.
"Stay still," Erin ordered softly. She took a cloth out of her pocket and wiped my left ankle.
"You don't need to do that," I said, trying to pull my foot away. No one had touched my bad leg since the splints had come off three years ago.
She held my foot still. "A Deity Master has servants," she said. "Best get used to it." she scrubbed my other foot clean. "Now give me your sandals and go in."
Four years ago, when I came to my master's house—a half-starved drudge willing to become a boy for food and warmth—Erin was the only person that showed me any care. At first I thought it was because I was a girl, but later, I realized she desperately needed my master to have a successful candidate. "No one else will have us in their house," she once told me, stroking Billy's dusty hair. "I've seen a lot of boys com ethrough here Jason, but you're our best chance. You're special." at the time, I thought she had guessed the secret, but she hadn't. And even if she knew, she would never say anything. Erin was bound too tightly to my master, his tolerance of Billy a hundred times more compelling than a bond of indenture.
I handed her the sandals, smiling my thanks. She shooed me into the library.
"Close the doors, Jason," My master said. He was standing at the cabinet sorting through keys he wore around his neck at the length of a red silk.
I pulled shut the doors and waited for further instruction.
He looked up and nodded at the visitors chair in front of the desk.
"Sit down," he said, shaking a key free.
Sit down! In a chair? I watched him insert the key into the lock. Had I heard correctly? I crossed the soft, thick carpet and gingerly laid my hand on the back of the chair, waiting for a reprimand. Nothing. I glanced across at my master, he had a leather pouch and a small black ceramic jar in his hands.
"I said sit down," he ordered, closing the cabinet doors.
I perched on the very edge of the leather seat, my hands tight around the carved armrests. I had always imagined a chair would be comfortable, but it was very hard against my rump bones and made my belly ache again. I shifted around, trying to recapture the warm ease I'd felt in the garden, flicking my tail back and forth on the chair, but it was gone. Did the gardens sun energy call to my hidden self? Did it take my pain? I shivered. My master was right; I could not afford to enter it again. Not so close to the ceremony.
On the desk were two small black-lacquered death plaques. I tried to read the names carved into the wood, but I could not make sense of the upside down letters. I quickly looked away from them as my master sat down in the chair opposite to me. He placed to leather pouch and jar next to the two memorials.
"So. It is tomorrow." he said.
I nodded, keeping my eyes on the desk.
"You are prepared." it was a statement, not a question, but I nodded again. An image of Ant flashed through my mind. Now was the time to ask my master about the Reverse Ice Dragon Second.
"I went to a ghost marker today," my master said softly.
I was so startled, I looked up and met his eyes. A ghost marked dealt in herbs and potions and, it was said, in the spirits of the unborn.
"She gave me this." He pushed the pouch toward me. "If it is taken as a tea every morning, it will stop the moon energy. But it can only be taken for three months. Then it becomes a poison to the body."
I hunched down in the chair.
"Your moon cycle must be stopped for these ceremonies," he continued. "And if you succeed tomorrow then—"
"I am about to bleed," I whispered.
"What?"
"I have all the signs." I ducked my head lower. "It's early. I don't know why."
I saw my masters hands clench the edge of the table. It was as though his anger weighted the air between us.
"Have you started?"
"No but I have the—"
He held up his hand. "Quiet." I watched his long fingers tap the wood. "If it has not started, then all is not lost. She said it was to be taken before your next cycle starts." he picked up the pouch, and looked at me.
"You must take a cup now."

Judge Mandolore Shepard
09-27-2012, 01:55 PM
I think there could be a character with an Oriental type name, like Yoshihiro. Also keep up the great story.

Umbrony
10-04-2012, 01:26 AM
CHAPTER FIVE

A TOUCH ON MY arm woke me. I was sitting slumped against the wall next to my studying altar, my face pressed against the cold stone. I focused on the slim figure squatting beside me in the dim light.
Erin.
"The master will rise soon," she said softly.
A spike of apprehension cleared my head. The red prayer candle in front of me had burned into a stump of wax, and the small offering bowl of fish and rice smelled of the hours gone by. I pushed myself upright, smoothing a crease in the sleeve of my ceremonial tunic.
"I shouldn't have slept."
Erin touched my slightly clubbed hair. "Don't worry. No one saw you." she stood, stifling a yawn. "The dawn bell will ring soon. Be quick if you wish to say goodbye to Billy."
I nodded, massaging the chill from my face and neck. My master had made the smallest of the stone storerooms at the back of the house into a dormitory for his candidates. In these summer months it was a sanctuary of cool air, but during the winter it was a bitter cell. I looked around the cramped room that had been home for four years: my bed still In its roll against the wall; an old clothespress; the writing rest where I had knelt for such long hours and studied; and a squat earthenware brazier topped by a pot I'd found on the rubbish pile. Such luxury compared to the pound. Was this the last time I'd see it all? Or would I be back?
"I'll send one of the girls to tell you when the master is dressed," Erin said, pushing open the shutters that covered the narrow window.
"Thank you, Erin."
She paused at the door. "Billy and I have been praying for your success, Jason. But also know, we will miss you."
For a moment, her eyes met mine, and I saw fear and worry in the sharpened lines of her face. Then she smiled and left. If I failed today, would my master sell Erin and Billy? Thier service bonds were not half paid yet; Billy showed me Erin's reckoning stick behind a loose brick in the kitchen.
I crossed over to the brazier, my movement releasing the rich smell of the cleansing herbs on my skin. And me? If I failed, would I be returned to the pound? The memory of bitter pellets instead of actual food, and the metallic taste of tap water caused my tail to bristle and made me gag. I pressed my hands against my chest, feeling for the flow of Ji, the life force. All I could fee, was the fine silk of the ceremonial tunic and the unyielding flatness of my breast band. My master had taught me the basics of tracing my Ji through the seven points of power, but it was a technique that took a lifetime to control. I turned my mind's eye inward, groping along the meridians. Finally, I located the blockage, in the base of my spine, the seat of fear. I breathed softly and slowy until the rigid knot loosened.
I knelt on the stone floor, carefully lifting my tail, and cleaned the ashes out of the body of the brazier. Something was stirring within me, a familiar flicker of awareness. It was during the moon days that my shadow self—Jaycee—darkened into strange thoughts and uneasy feelings. It seemed that while the ghost makers tea had eased the cramps and prevented the bleeding, it had not yet washed the shadows away. I could not afford to let Jaycee come forward and bring her troubling desires into my mind. I pushed her away, concentrating on stacking twigs and small slivers of charcoal into the brazier. A strike of the inch-stick, and the tinder sparked to life. I blew on the wavering flame until it caught and held, then angled the pot to check the tea. Perhaps this dose would chase her away.
If I failed, my master would not need me as a boy.
I tried to shake off the unwelcome thought with a flick of my ears and a wave of my tail.
Then offer him a girls body. It was in his eyes during the cleansing ritual.
No, that was not true! There had been nothing in my Master's eyes during that ritual. He'd said the words, poured the fragrant water over my head, and left me to wash and oil myself. I had seen nothing in his eyes. I leaned over the pot, dismissing the thoughts with a flick of my tail, and urged it to heat faster in my head.
A pinch of tea in my cup, then the near boiled water, all mixed with a twig. I drank it in one swallow. Time to bid Billy and the others farewell.

A the kitchen door, I slipped off my shoes, then stepped inside. Kent was standing over the stoves, stirring my matser's morning soup. The smell of the rich broth and steaming buns made my stomach pinch. I licked my lips, remembering the peice of bread hidden in my room.
"Jason?" Billy peered around the leg of the preparation table. He rolled his eyes at my finery. "Little...lord."
Kent sniffed at me as I brushed past him to squat painfully beside Billy.
"There'll be hell to pay if he dirties those new robes of yours," Kent said. He stamped across the kitchen and disappeared into the dry goods pantry.
Billy twitched closer to me. He touched the bottom of the tunic, proceeding to run his hand around the hem and to my tail, all the way to the tip. "So soft...like a girl's bottom."
"How would you know?" I scoffed.
"Know more...than you." he waggled his eyebrows. "Maids think...poor Billy...doesn't know what he's doing."
I shook my head at his cheerful lewdness. "I have something for you," I said, pulling out a scroll and placing it on his mat.
He touched it, his eyes wide. "Real paper?" he looked up at me quizzically. "You know...don't read."
"It's not words," I said. "Open it."
He hoisted himself onto an elbow and slowly pulled apart the wooden handles. I saw the puzzlement smooth into understanding. Then his face tightened.
"I know it's not very good," I said quickly. "But see, that is the crossroad at the bottom of the laneway." I pointed to the place on the scroll. "And that's Joe's old pig, Dave. See, I've drawn it in the middle of Kelly, the Moneylender's vegetable garden..." I stopped. Billy had turned his face away.
"I know it's not very good..." I said again, a hint of a whine coming to my voice, causing it to squeak.
Billy shook his head, pushing his face into his shoulder.
Was he crying? I sat back. Billy did not cry.
He touched my hand, a clumsy press of fingers against mine, and took a deep, trembling breath.
"I have...something...for you too," he said. He glanced at the pantry doorway. "Quick...before Kent comes."
I held out my hand, expecting more cheese or bread. Instead, something heavy hit my palm. A coin, covered in grime. I ran my thumb over it, and saw a flash of gold—a Tiger coin, more than three months' wage for a freeman. And a certain flogging if discovered.
"... Where'd you get it..?" I whispered disbelievingly, using my tail to clean off the rest of the coin, removing the grime and dirt to reveal a surface of pure, beautiful gold.
"How..?"

Authors' Notes

Thus ends another chapter of No Mercy. I had a bad case of writers block, so the continuous daily updates were put on hold for a while, sorry. I have the whole story pre-planned, but I still need to have ideas and plots to carry it out in a manner that makes sense.

I hope everyone likes this. Be sure to like and comment. (lol just like Facebook)