PDA

View Full Version : Battle Rankings?

Zachgoose
09-27-2012, 02:09 PM
So... The Battle Rankings are kind of dead. There have been three battles throughout the entire month of September: Kyo vs. Xero, Zach vs. Uzi, and a Majorasfan vs. Kyo that was abandoned without the match ever completing. This is mainly due to inactivity or lack of interest from staff members. I would do more battles myself, but I am in second place and lost to Uzi, so I am unable to challenge anyone else. I do not think we need another staff member at the moment, but the state of the Battle Rankings should be addressed. They're a fun concept, but are they effective?

What do you members think we should do about them?

This is an open thread and any suggestions you make can be taken into account. Feel free to say anything that you would like. ^_^

Umbrony
09-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Zach you owe me a piggyback you swine

Oh, am I live now? Oh, okay. *ahem* I think the Battle Rankings would do well to be a rare thing. I mean, they aren't as fun to watch anymore either, to be honest... I mean, a battle once a month maybe? I don't know really. I just selected let other members selected or Crystal participate. I'll just let others decide. ^3^Uu

That moment when you spell let as kept.

Zachgoose
09-27-2012, 02:42 PM
For all of you that are mindlessly hammering the "Let users participate" option without posting an explanation, please consider the Pros and Cons of it.

Yes, IT WOULD BE FUN IF YOU COULD HAVE EPIC BATTLES, but the more users allowed makes it harder to organize, people are bound to break rules/cheat (whether intentionally or not), and the Battle Rankings still could quickly die off again.

The rules to the combat system are simply an RPG that I personally created that is primarily based on dice rolls. It could be difficult to teach/get people to understand it.

sonriopoby123
09-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Maybe let the Crystal users participate?
I have no idea how that'll go wrong.........

Judge Mandolore Shepard
09-27-2012, 02:59 PM
I like the idea of having more users participate, but I think it should only be selected members. Also to make it more interesting, only the staff members can use signature weapons.

X!!
09-27-2012, 03:00 PM
You could create a certain contest every ___ between the Crystal Members (or other ranked members as well) where the top ___ will get to try out the Battle Rankings. That way, you can teach it to a few members at a time. It's just a suggestion because I suck and I personally want to try the Battle Rankings again after losing to Bree.

Xerodragon12
09-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Well, it's not that I don't want to do these Battle Rankings anymore, but it's more of I don't have any time, and I assume it's the same with the other staff members. So rather than doing a set of rankings per month, we get a new ranking once a year or once every three months. OR, we could just do one set of rankings that lasts indefinitely, such that at the end of each month, the current rankings are archived, but the next month starts where the last one ended. Also, the staff weapons make the battle too one-sided, so maybe nerf them, or get rid of them, and replace them with staff-exclusive effects (like one staff has health regen, another gives the weapon a better crit ratio, etc). Also, the weapons should be on a rotation, so that every month there would be a set of 5 or 6 weapons that are chosen at random as to provide more variety. Also, to prevent cheating, a third party should be involved. The third party would be involved with the rolling of the respective die, and the two participants are responsible of adding the modifier and any effects, if necessary. This would ensure that no one would keep rolling for pointless critical hits. The third party would be in communication with both participants through two separate Skype conversations, to keep the crowd and the opponent on the edge of their seats.

In regards to letting other people participate, I think it's a good idea on paper, but it's one of things that's bound to fail the moment it's instated. If we let Crystal users participate in the battle rankings, I'm predicting an insurgence of "battle threads" that could crash the servers. Especially because some of the crystal users are avid roleplayers. Even though adding some role play makes the battle a little bit more enjoyable, there's bound to be some godmodders and cheaters, even with the third party.

Minntul
09-27-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm on board to letting high ranked members participate, but maybe for the rank after Crystal since the next rank really needs something special because I seriously don't know what you can give users next. The battles would need to be well organized and put some requests for a battle on a timetable so the Battle Rankings board wont explode. Also I don't fully understand how the Battles actually work like how much damage is determined from whatever generator you could be using, but you'd need to keep a close eye on possible cheaters and think carefully to know who can participate in the Battle Rankings.

also i will OHKO everyone if bagpipes gets added gg.

Tainers14
09-27-2012, 04:44 PM
ok here's what you do

don't do it by monthly, battles can get lengthy if both aren't online at the same time. do it by season (fall, winter, spring, summer)

Also don't include crystal members because most of them don't deserve crystal rank and it's very stupid to do anything based off of user ranks because it's broken and dumb

kthxbai.

Flubbs
09-27-2012, 05:38 PM
I think that besides staff, only a very select few members should be allowed to participate. Doing this by rank isn't such a good idea because eventually crystal will become more common. Sure the requirement could be raised from time to time, but why bother? Also if this does get implemented, maybe put some kind of limit to how many battles can be made by people in a given day/week? That's just how I think it could be done. Let other users participate, but only a few.

Tuxy
09-27-2012, 05:44 PM
Either let the rank after Crystal and/or by the staff selected people play. Also, there should be a limit for battling.

Zachgoose
09-27-2012, 05:58 PM
I think that besides staff, only a very select few members should be allowed to participate. Doing this by rank isn't such a good idea because eventually crystal will become more common. Sure the requirement could be raised from time to time, but why bother? Also if this does get implemented, maybe put some kind of limit to how many battles can be made by people in a given day/week? That's just how I think it could be done. Let other users participate, but only a few.

Flubbs made a very nice point. The requirement system ultimately fails, because more and more users will meet the requirement as time progresses. We'll have another 5-10 crystal users in the next month or two.

What about.... An application system of some sort?

Either on a monthly or seasonal basis, users that are interested in joining can apply to either be accepted or denied into the Battle Rankings. Their status on the forums, intelligence, and popularity will all be factored in. This way users that don't desire to join don't have to, and it could be interesting to have the players and weapons frequently swapped out.

Minntul
09-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Either on a monthly or seasonal basis, users that are interested in joining can apply to either be accepted or denied into the Battle Rankings. Their status on the forums, intelligence, and popularity will all be factored in. This way users that don't desire to join don't have to, and it could be interesting to have the players and weapons frequently swapped out.

That sounds way better, though preferably make it seasonal since monthly would be way too busy.

Dabottle
09-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Seems to me like the choice process could end up turning out similar to that of the old junior moderator elections, so I am not sure if it's a good idea.

Merga
09-27-2012, 07:38 PM
I've been seeing a lot of "Let crystal users participate" responses in this thread. I think that crystal users already have their own special benefit of having their own threads dedicated to themselves as a good enough reward of earning that rank, so I think it would be best to let the regular member battling thing wait until the next rank or two before crystal becomes OP.

I also think that there should be an organized schedule of when these things can take place, like saying that some battles must be done before this week ends or something like that. That way the participants will know when they have to get their battles done before going completely inactive. I don't know, it's just a thought.

Dabottle
09-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Should this be implemented, DO NOT BASE IT UPON RANK. The rank system is flawed and it would be unfair either way. Think up another method.

Christian
09-27-2012, 07:51 PM
It would be better if you let other people play too, people that won't lose interest would be suitable. Ye?

newsupermariobros
09-27-2012, 07:53 PM
You should let all members get a chance.Everyone should be included:)

Xerodragon12
09-27-2012, 08:12 PM
If we were to open it up to the public, per say, we should let the winners of the tournaments participate for one cycle (or season, if you will), as a kind of reward for winning, or at least an incentive for people to try harder. Like all the winners of the tournaments in the spring can participate in the summer rankings, all the summer tournament winners can participate in the autumn rankings, etc. However, in order to make it fair for the "temporary participants" we will have to get rid of the staff exclusive weapons, in order to keep it fair for the others.

Zachgoose
09-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Seems to me like the choice process could end up turning out similar to that of the old junior moderator elections, so I am not sure if it's a good idea.

It would likely be alone that would "judge" applications. Yes, I obviously have some bias that is irremovable, but it can't be exploited this way. I would look at the application alone and attempt not to factor personality into account.

Perhaps a "Points system" could be in effect? You are given points based on your ranking/the contributive posts you make, and those points my further increase your chances of being selected again.

sonriopoby123
09-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Flubbs made a very nice point. The requirement system ultimately fails, because more and more users will meet the requirement as time progresses. We'll have another 5-10 crystal users in the next month or two.

What about.... An application system of some sort?

This is actually a great idea. If we could implement it into some kind of application, then we can let people play, only if the staff agrees on it. That way we won't have any cheaters or n00bs on it and the server won't overload and crash.

Uzi
09-27-2012, 10:52 PM
hand pick members join the rankings.

that means mental is auto in because i owe him a rematch.

also more member v member battles b/c they have more drama than the staff does when you guys are deciding LoL roles.

Merga
09-27-2012, 11:01 PM
also more member v member battles b/c they have more drama than the staff does when you guys are deciding LoL roles

^This

And I also like the idea of a Battle Ranking application. I do think that it is also a good idea that these applications should be based on not only experience, but with popularity and intelligence as well. That way we don't have a smart member who everybody wants to kill, or a popular member who barely contributes to any topic at all. I do think that there should be a waiting period for every application, only because I am worried that someone will be a sore loser when the don't make it and flood the staff with applications. Other than that, it just might work.

Uzi
09-27-2012, 11:07 PM
only because I am worried that someone will be a sore loser when the don't make it and flood the staff with applications.

I don't want to be mean but people have to realize that things will not always go the way they want them to. This is why I ban first and ask questions later. If I always ask for someone's side on it they will complain that I am not getting both sides so removing both parties will instantly solve a problem.

Flubbs
09-27-2012, 11:16 PM
I'm actually really liking the application idea. Maybe allow only one application per member for X amount of days? Then it can be reviewed and either accepted or denied. Of course intelligence and popularity will have to be factors. Another idea would be to only allow a certain number of applications by different users to be sent in for a certain month or something like that. There are a lot of ways to approach this, but it sounds like a great idea to me.

Patriot
09-27-2012, 11:34 PM
Maybe let the Crystal users participate?
I have no idea how that'll go wrong.........

By doing that, we would create a forum that is even more focused on unlocking ranks than posting original content and communicating with each other. We don't want that.

sonriopoby123
09-27-2012, 11:43 PM
By doing that, we would create a forum that is even more focused on unlocking ranks than posting original content and communicating with each other. We don't want that.

I'm not discussing that anymore. We're thinking of making an application for users so that the staff can deny or accept you.
Not to be rude, but did you read the last few pages?

Pokemon73
12-05-2012, 03:40 AM
I think people who are trustworthy and honest that they can do the battle rankings fair should join these

Minntul
12-06-2012, 12:05 AM
that means mental is auto in because i owe him a rematch.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

IT'S HAPPENING PEOPLE

GET HYPED

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss80/Pokemental/1354529606757.gif?t=1354529775http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss80/Pokemental/1354529606757.gif?t=1354529775http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss80/Pokemental/1354529606757.gif?t=1354529775

Flubbs
12-06-2012, 02:49 AM
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

IT'S HAPPENING PEOPLE

GET HYPED

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss80/Pokemental/1354529606757.gif?t=1354529775http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss80/Pokemental/1354529606757.gif?t=1354529775http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss80/Pokemental/1354529606757.gif?t=1354529775

Too bad you went green. Green guys don't fight.

Minntul
12-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Too bad you went green. Green guys don't fight.

say that to the hulk

sonriopoby123
12-07-2012, 05:41 AM
i vote first fight as mental vs flubbs

Flubbs
12-07-2012, 05:45 AM
i vote first fight as mental vs flubbs

too bad the greenie would get wiped out in a second :/

Minntul
12-07-2012, 07:54 AM
too bad the greenie would get wiped out in a second :/

baaawwwwwww

what's wrong goldilocks? need to get arrogant? ^_^

X!!
12-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Mental is now the new hulk...

Flubbs
12-07-2012, 06:31 PM
baaawwwwwww

what's wrong goldilocks? need to get arrogant? ^_^

GOLDILOCKS?

those 3 bears didn't stand a chance. what makes you think mr raging purple shorts has a better chance?

chronoquairium
12-07-2012, 08:57 PM
GOLDILOCKS?

those 3 bears didn't stand a chance. what makes you think mr raging purple shorts has a better chance?
Leave it to the chatbox, please.
I support the allowing certain others to play, but not Crystal. I'm thinking about only those approved to do so by mods or admins.

pikachumaster
12-07-2012, 11:22 PM
There are more than 20 crystals anyway. Could you possibly makea seperate Battle Rankings for the chosen regular members?

Rocket
12-18-2012, 12:32 PM
I think that the battle rankings should be revived by certain selected members that understand them.

Patriot
12-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Making Battle Rankings for non-SS staff members = horribad idea. Most would attempt to make horrible attempts at looking funny. (except a select few awesome individuals)

Seriously, don't.

DON'T.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

sonriopoby123
12-19-2012, 12:30 AM
Making Battle Rankings for non-SS staff members = horribad idea. Most would attempt to make horrible attempts at looking funny. (except a select few awesome individuals)

Seriously, don't.

DON'T.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nova stop hacking

I think if we let a few members go at a time, and see how it turns out. If they just mess around, then so be it. We're done with them.
But if they can do it just right....we'll see how it goes from there.

pikachumaster
12-19-2012, 12:58 AM

Seriously, don't.

DON'T.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I mean't the people that got picked by Zach. -_-

MegaBEAST
12-22-2012, 04:59 PM
What about people one rank over crystal do the battle rankings These people are sure to be awesome, plus there should be a nice incentive to rank up some more.
I know i'm just the normal user, but I think its a good idea.

pikachumaster
12-22-2012, 05:06 PM
That idea has already been suggested, but there is a problem.

More and more members will start getting Emerald and then it won't be easy to maintain them.

Then again, that new rank was made to be harder to get...

ExtremeFlame
04-07-2013, 09:05 PM
i think thats cool idea:pokeball:

Merga
04-07-2013, 09:46 PM
http://superskarmory.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?7-The-Super-Skarmory-Battle-Rankings

Oh look, battle rankens.