PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie's Rec Center #1: Seba Jun

Uzi
10-20-2012, 03:43 AM
Sup, I love music and I love sharing music with people. So I decided to start up an artist recommendation type-thing. I might do this bi-weekly, or monthly or however long it takes me to get through a discography. Who cares, it's the thought that counts, right? Let's get this show on the road.

I'd like to show you guys an artist known as Nujabes, or Seba Jun. He is sadly deceased, but he has left behind amazing albums that I think are worth listening to even if you are not interested in Hip Hop. Nujabes is well known for his work on the Samurai Champloo original soundtrack, and has 5 studio albums released. Don't fret, these albums can be put on repeat for ages. The songs never grow old.

Nujabes is a producer, not a rapper, or a singer. He's the one who makes the beats that go along to your favorite songs. Nujabes fuses jazz and hip hop together, creating a genre I like to call "Jazz Hop". It's an interesting blend, as both of these genres are dominated by African-Americans, and haven't had much exposure to the surface. A prime example of this is in "The Final View"; it features "Love Theme From Spartacus" by Barry Harris. You will also notice a saxophone in the background of "The Final View", this is Yusef Lateef playing said part.

If you're into this sort of thing, Nujabes tended to use underground rappers when he did have lyrics in his songs. A notable underground rapper Nujabes works with is Substantial, he's on many tracks on "Metaphorical Music" and compliments the tracks extremely well.

I normally listen to Nujabes when I just want to relax, or read. His songs have calm atmospheres that fit those situations just right. II don't think that his music should be classified as "Elevator Music" or "Sleeping Music", as his beats are beautiful and should be treated like they are. I enjoy listening to him since his music kind of speaks out, it doesn't just rely on one sole rhythm. There's several little things that go on in his songs that I pay more attention to every time I give his albums another listen.

My personal favorite Nujabes album, and my recommended starting point with him is Metaphorical Music. I think that Metaphorical Music has more memorable tracks than Spiritual State and Modal Soul, but I have a bias towards the songs that Substantial is on. Substantial is just a great lyricist, he provides a positive message in the songs he's on and I like that in rappers. It just shows me that there's still hope in the genre since there are people who rap about positive things.

Song List:
The Final View (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36F9LKMDaOY)
Aruarian Dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yYMicbSf98)
Lady Brown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjqTiQhOgU8)
Counting Stars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1U5pysRX-E&feature=relmfu)

EpicCh33se
10-20-2012, 04:05 AM
It's interesting how Nujabes can combine Jazz and Hip Hop like that. It's..... a good match, I must say. I can sense the soul in the music. It's unfortunate that Nujabes is gone though....
Anyway, out of the tracks suggested, I must say that "Aruarian Dance" is my favorite.

Thanks for the suggestion, Uzi. I'll look into Nujabes' music.

Minntul
10-20-2012, 05:34 PM
I really enjoy Jazz music, Hip Hop is either a hit or a miss for me, but Nujabes music sounds great from the ones you've listed there. They sound really relaxing and I feel a bit refreshed now. I particularly like the songs "The Final View" and "Lady Brown" which you listed. I'll do a bit of research and check out more of his tracks later on.

Uzi
10-21-2012, 04:22 AM
I think that hip hop can be fused with all types of music, as it's a versatile genre and you can basically rap off of anything. It's not exactly surprising to see it mixed with something, but to see certain combinations executed well is what made Nujabes sparkle to me. It's kind off funny when I mention producers, because I instantly think of J Dilla or Nujabes and well - they're both dead. I guess I have a thing for reviving old musicians.

It's funny though, everyone who I give a list of Nujabes tracks to always says that they liked Aruarian Dance the most. That's on the Samurai Champloo OST. There's like four of them though, so I'd recommend listening to all of them since that show's soundtrack is stellar.