PDA

View Full Version : Adopt a noob thread.

Kamex
10-25-2012, 07:51 PM
I suggest instead of tormenting and basically crapping on the noobs with name calling, telling them to go kill themselves, and more, I suggest an adopt a noob thread. Where an experienced member of the SS forums can adopt a nooob and give them pointers on how to not be hated or infracted 80 million times.

Dragonite
10-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Are the people on this forum (myself included) mature enough to carry through with something like that?

Dabottle
10-25-2012, 07:55 PM
newbie*

And sure, sounds cool.

Well, as long as we get to choose our newbie. We need to make a forum out of this monstrosity.

Spacey
10-25-2012, 07:57 PM
This could help some people *cough cough*

Tuxy
10-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Very interesting idea, but I feel that certain people are going to abuse this. And also, many people here are not mature enough. If this should get implemented, have the staff choose the mentors of the noobs.

Merga
10-25-2012, 08:01 PM
I'm down with this. Some new members can learn from the experienced members how to make the community a better place.

Kamex
10-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Well, as long as we get to choose our newbie. We need to make a forum out of this monstrosity.

Of course! *has an idea of who you're going to choose*

Very interesting idea, but I feel that certain people are going to abuse this. And also, many people here are not mature enough. If this should get implemented, have the staff choose the mentors of the noobs.

That would make it even better. Even some of the highest ranked people can even be a bit... off...

Minntul
10-25-2012, 08:06 PM
I suggest instead of tormenting and basically crapping on the noobs with name calling, telling them to go kill themselves, and more

>no fun allowed

Red
10-25-2012, 08:35 PM
wooo more PSN stealing

I support this though, it seems like a really nice way to introduce members more easily to the community. It'd give the newer members a taste of what to expect before they jump into the chatbox and have their lives brutally ruined forever.

pikachumaster
10-25-2012, 08:39 PM

Okay. But, exactly how mature...?

Flubbs
10-25-2012, 08:47 PM
hey GG you're a poopyhead and should kill urself noob.

In all seriousness though, this is a really good idea and we can actually show people how to not be annoying or just plain dumb. Good suggestion. Make it happen please.
I'm adopting this entire forum when it's made, k? K.

BreeZaps
10-25-2012, 08:57 PM
There doing this on the marriland forums. My mender never talked to me :/
But I agree. We should do this. Crystal user and up

Dabottle
10-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Crystal user and up

No, that's stupid.

And Emily would make a horrible mentor.

Uzi
10-25-2012, 08:59 PM
>no fun allowed

Being stupid = Fun?

Sometimes its better to go ahead and do something instead of just asking.

I'm fine with handpicking members to be mentors though. It's whatever.

pikachumaster
10-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Crystal user and up

Dang it, Bree...

BreeZaps
10-25-2012, 09:07 PM
No, that's stupid.

And Emily would make a horrible mentor.
Ok then.
Would I make a good mender?

Ice
10-25-2012, 09:09 PM
I think it's a good idea because some people really need to be told how to be a forum member. Though the person running it should pick instead of making it so anyone with crystal can be a mentor since some people (like a certain Crystal User) would be horrible mentors and actually desperately need mentoring. Also some lower ranked people (like Growth, for example) are excellent members and if they wanted to be a tutor they would do it well despite having a lower rank.

Dabottle
10-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Ok then.
Would I make a good mender?

Imo, probably not, sorry. Of course, that's up to the staff. Now let's stop going off-topic.

BreeZaps
10-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Imo, probably not, sorry. Of course, that's up to the staff. Now let's stop going off-topic.
You could give me a chance. But ok. :/
The Thread should be Sticky in the Introduce Yourself board.

Merga
10-25-2012, 09:19 PM
If this passes, which I hope it does, I think the members should be handpicked by Zach or some other active mod despite their ranking on the forums. To be honest, the crystal users here range from excellent, to so-so, to just people who I don't know how they got that rank in the first place. We need the better or more helpful users to mentor. I mean seriously, some crystals get banned from something on this site while in that rank, and they're supposed to be the role models too. So rank is an irrelevant factor for something like this, the mentors should just be handpicked or given a special user title at most.

pikachumaster
10-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Man, I wanted to know if I would make a good mentor... Ah well. But, there are crystal users (I'm not pointing fingers) who don't have the maturity to be a mentor, like people up there (^) said.

Tuxy
10-25-2012, 09:23 PM
If this passes, which I hope it does, I think the members should be handpicked by Zach or some other active mod despite their ranking on the forums. To be honest, the crystal users here range from excellent, to so-so, to just people who I don't know how they got that rank in the first place. We need the better or more helpful users to mentor. I mean seriously, some crystals get banned from something on this site while in that rank, and they're supposed to be the role models too. So rank is an irrelevant factor for something like this, the mentors should just be handpicked or given a special user title at most.

Exactly this. We all know certain crystal users got into their rank by spamming and are worse users than some with lower ranks. I am probably included in this too.

Uzi
10-25-2012, 09:31 PM
We need to be like the Pokemon Online forums and use badges for achievements. Those are sexy.

Flubbs
10-25-2012, 09:34 PM
I think the decision of who actually gets to be a mentor is best left to staff so the mentors are actually good instead of being based off of rank, because again, eventually the high ranks will become more populated and there will be some not so good users in those ranks.

pikachumaster
10-25-2012, 09:35 PM
Wpw. Just wow. But, I'm okay with that!

That was for Uzi.

Minntul
10-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Being stupid = Fun?

Depends on the type of stupid.

Uzi
10-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Depends on the type of stupid.

http://apublicdefender.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/forrest-gump.jpg

Mama always said stupid is as stupid does.

pikachumaster
10-25-2012, 09:53 PM
Why are you talking about fun types of stupidity?

DeMrTeunio
10-25-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm down with this idea. There are a lot of young, inexperienced users here and I think they'd benefit from having someone show them the ropes for a while.

Patriot
10-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Can't wait to corrupt little children with my devious teaching?

In all seriousness, I truly believe this idea is downright flawed. There really is not much to teach except for just a 1-2 paragraph on what to do and not to do. In other words...

Flawed, unnecessary, and pointless.

X!!
10-25-2012, 10:12 PM
What everyone else said.

And Nova badly needs to be mentored by Pengy.

In all seriousness, though, this is a great idea. But it might fail, because the more stubborn ones will be like, "I DON'T WANT YOUR HELP! LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!"

Other than that, I like this idea. Can someone mentor me soon?

Minntul
10-25-2012, 10:32 PM
mentals guide to being a good mentor:

link to spitty's guide
insult newbie when they're being stupid
???
profit

sonriopoby123
10-25-2012, 10:32 PM
I support this idea as well. I would love to show these new guys the ropes. Imagine, another person like ME!

Other People: OGAWDNO.

loljk. But I could teach them to be better than me. And so they won't be ignored and be tormented by all the other members.

Red
10-25-2012, 10:38 PM
But it might fail, because the more stubborn ones will be like, "I DON'T WANT YOUR HELP! LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!"

I'm sure they will have the option to not get a mentor. It'd be rude to force one onto them.

X!!
10-25-2012, 10:42 PM
I'm sure they will have the option to not get a mentor. It'd be rude to force one onto them.

Then that's good. But what if everyone will choose to not have a mentor at all?

Tuxy
10-25-2012, 10:44 PM
Then that's good. But what if everyone will choose to not have a mentor at all?

Then no one shall have a mentor, simple as that. Only experience can tell what the average noob thinks of this.

Umbrony
10-25-2012, 10:44 PM
What everyone else said.

And Nova badly needs to be mentored by Pengy.

In all seriousness, though, this is a great idea. But it might fail, because the more stubborn ones will be like, "I DON'T WANT YOUR HELP! LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!"

Other than that, I like this idea. Can someone mentor me soon?

Nova isn't getting involved whatsoever in any of this, mentor or apprentice.

Kthxbai

Shaymin
10-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Well, it's the newcomer's decision if they want to be "adopted" or not. If it's a person that's been on a past SS forum, then they don't need a mentor except for help with the rep system.

Uzi
10-25-2012, 11:09 PM
please keep discussion limited to the possible implementing of the adopt a noob program, don't post saying you're not going to be apart of this or you don't think x should be a mentor.

Zachgoose
10-26-2012, 12:49 AM
Can I adopt Timaeus?

EDIT: I guess the idea is okay, but I just wanted to say that I would not like to be in charge of this. If you are a leader though, I may provide rep rewards. I am still not completely sold on the concept, though.

Prospering
10-26-2012, 01:59 AM
This would be really cool because it would give this site a fun twist, but if you call newcomers noobs or noobies that isn't very nice. It would drive them away from the site (as you already should know) and calling people noobs could cause fights. Anyways, I really do like this idea and I think it's a great way to stop spam and problems!

Tuxy
10-26-2012, 09:58 AM
This would be really cool because it would give this site a fun twist, but if you call newcomers noobs or noobies that isn't very nice. It would drive them away from the site (as you already should know) and calling people noobs could cause fights. Anyways, I really do like this idea and I think it's a great way to stop spam and problems!

I don't think I can agree to that. It's common to call new people in a community/game/... "noobs" and I don't think it's necessarily an insult.

Minntul
10-26-2012, 02:28 PM

Or you can be the greatest kind of mentor who will nickname them "newbie" for the entirety of their time here, even after years.

t.tnt
10-26-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm a n00b pls I need a menter

Umbrony
10-26-2012, 09:29 PM

Oh Spaaaaace...

pikachumaster
10-26-2012, 09:56 PM

They haven't decided whether to do this or not but I support it. And I could be your mentor if they let me be one.

Spitfire
10-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Oh Spaaaaace...

... You mean trash?

Shaymin
10-27-2012, 12:39 AM
Oh Spaaaaace...

Yeah, like Spitfire said, doncha mean Trash?

*marks this post as milestone for Gold rank*

sonriopoby123
10-27-2012, 12:42 AM
She probably means for Space to be his mentor.

Umbrony
10-27-2012, 12:56 AM
She probably means for Space to be his mentor.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lolmyjokessuck

Qwerty
10-27-2012, 01:02 AM
Not a bad idea, but you'd really have to pick the mentors carefully. This is a forum full of 12 yr olds after all.

Prospering
10-27-2012, 01:38 AM
Not a bad idea, but you'd really have to pick the mentors carefully. This is a forum full of 12 yr olds after all.
Thats just mean >.>

Ice
10-27-2012, 01:48 AM
No it isn't. While age =/= maturity, generally the younger you are the less experienced you are and therefore you might not be as mature or qualified to teach someone as an older person. Though this is not to say that everyone under 13 is an idiot and everyone over is some kind of incredibly mature person because some of the older members wouldn't be qualified either imo.

xBlackthornWolfx
10-27-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm kinda meh about the idea. I don't have much to bring new to the table, as other people have already said just about anything that really needs to be brought up, but I think that if done right it would bring more good than bad. And like Ice said, age doesn't necessarily matter, but there are quite a few people around here I've seen that would just not be cut out for it. Being more picky about mentors I think would be the best choice, as stated before. And not just based on maturity, but people that will actually help instead of just abusing it.

Either way, I think it could potentially be a nice idea if it's decided on to use

Patriot
10-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Thats just mean >.>

May be mean, but you know it's the truth.

Prospering
10-27-2012, 03:48 PM
May be mean, but you know it's the truth.

Not neccesarily, I find teenagers all the time cussing and being immature. I know that kids can do the same but most don't. Like look at me, I'm only 11 and have you ever seen me cuss in the chat or even talking about anything innapropiate? obviouslyy not because I'm mature so you dont need to throw all of the little kids under the bus.

Ice
10-27-2012, 04:00 PM
So, if you don't swear that automatically means you are mature and if you don't see a point in censoring yourself you're not? Explain your logic please.

pikachumaster
10-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Not neccesarily, I find teenagers all the time cussing and being immature. I know that kids can do the same but most don't. Like look at me, I'm only 11 and have you ever seen me cuss in the chat or even talking about anything innapropiate? obviouslyy not because I'm mature so you dont need to throw all of the little kids under the bus.

Thank you.

If we're gonna do this, we need someone to very carefully pick the mentors. We can't have people like Skitty being a mentor. (Not to be mean, Skitty.)

Patriot
10-27-2012, 07:21 PM

Doesn't cuss = Mature.

Hate to tell you, but that isn't how the world works.

Prospering
10-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Doesn't cuss = Mature.

Hate to tell you, but that isn't how the world works.

I never said that if you don't cuss it doesnt make you mature. I'm just saying, most people that cuss are immature

Ice
10-27-2012, 09:32 PM
I never said that if you don't cuss it doesnt make you mature. I'm just saying, most people that cuss are immature
I know you never said it doesn't. You said it DOES. Also, that second statement is just stupid. I know tons of mature people that don't feel the need to avoid saying things that are, when you get down to it, JUST NORMAL WORDS. On the other hand, I've seen a lot of people that are immature scream and act like the world will end when someone says ****, as if they probably don't hear it a few times every day at school.

Shantae
10-27-2012, 11:26 PM
To me, this idea isn't half bad. If it passes, the one little issue is the mentors in this forum. It quite picky to choose a good mentor for a member that are unexperienced. Like Mega and Ice said, the mentor doesn't have to be just Crystal User. But other ranks below can be mentors. I'm not sure if I'm with this idea but it's quite interesting overall to see how it gonna handled.

Shaymin
10-27-2012, 11:44 PM
To me, this idea isn't half bad. If it passes, the one little issue is the mentors in this forum. It quite picky to choose a good mentor for a member that are unexperienced. Like Mega and Ice said, the mentor doesn't have to be just Crystal User. But other ranks below can be mentors. I'm not sure if I'm with this idea but it's quite interesting overall to see how it gonna handled.

There is one thing I have to address: if you say that ranks below crystal can be, could it be possible for someone to be Normal rank, but has been on the forums for quite a bit, but they don't post as much as someone as say, LuckyLapras or SkittyGoddess, to still be a mentor?

I dunno, just something that popped into my unpredictable head of mine. I highly doubt that a person who's been on the forums for say, 3-4 months, could still be Normal rank. But then again, I've been on the forums since the beginning and I just became Gold rank.

pikachumaster
10-28-2012, 01:18 AM
Well, It is true that it should not only crystal members should be mentors, other rank members are worthy of being a mentor.

Ice
10-28-2012, 03:26 AM
There is one thing I have to address: if you say that ranks below crystal can be, could it be possible for someone to be Normal rank, but has been on the forums for quite a bit, but they don't post as much as someone as say, LuckyLapras or SkittyGoddess, to still be a mentor?

I dunno, just something that popped into my unpredictable head of mine. I highly doubt that a person who's been on the forums for say, 3-4 months, could still be Normal rank. But then again, I've been on the forums since the beginning and I just became Gold rank.
Once again I use Growth as an example. He is a low ranking user because he doesn't even want to rank up. However, in all the years I've known him he's shown himself to be a mature and responsible person and could certainly handle a role like this if he was interested in doing so.

Uzi
10-28-2012, 06:06 AM
Once again I use Growth as an example. He is a low ranking user because he doesn't even want to rank up. However, in all the years I've known him he's shown himself to be a mature and responsible person and could certainly handle a role like this if he was interested in doing so.

Too bad he only logs on once a year.

Patriot
10-28-2012, 03:37 PM

What you are saying is that since you are mature, you don't cuss. Sadly, there are many factors that makes a person mature, and like what Ice says, some people who cuss are those mature people.

BreeZaps
11-03-2012, 01:34 AM
Ok so when are we going to do this?

Dabottle
11-03-2012, 01:52 AM
Ok so when are we going to do this?

Judging by the (lack of a) response to my date thread... never.

pikachumaster
11-03-2012, 01:58 AM
Dang... I think this would've been really good. Except with a different name.

xBlackthornWolfx
11-03-2012, 01:11 PM

"Most", alright, so long as it's not all. Because if you believe that all people that cuss are immature then it is you, in fact, who are immature. Or rather just ignorant and have yet to learn this. I myself am pretty mature - and I cuss. My god do I cuss. lol sometimes it's hard to restrict myself on forums like this but I manage. Can I be immature? Hell yes, but it's mostly when I'm joking around with friends. And do you know what kind of people cuss a lot too? Other than teens? Adults. Cuss words are still just WORDS. It's not using them that makes people immature, it's the people themselves.

pikachumaster
11-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Stop with the cuss word arguing. This is a Suggestion thread.

LuckyLapras
11-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Good idea GG, good idea.

Ayra
11-03-2012, 09:10 PM
sounds like a good idea. what i recommend is that all crystal-ranked members and higher be eligible to adopt. also, a noob-mentor relationship should be appointed by both the noob and the mentor, as well as a staff member to ratify the relationship.

Ice
11-03-2012, 10:15 PM
what i recommend is that all crystal-ranked members and higher be eligible to adopt.
Did you even read this thread? Why this is a bad idea has been explained many times.

Growth
11-03-2012, 10:36 PM
I support this. I'd actually LOVE to see this happen.

Of course, like many already said, I think it would be up to the staff members to decide who teaches who. But I'd suggest an application system; members who think they are worthy of serving the role as a mentor should be able to write an application somewhere, and it shouldn't be hidden to the other members.
And a big thread where all the relationships are viewable by everyone.

The mentors should also be required to report every once in a while to the staff member that gave him/her the role how the newcomer is doing.

BreeZaps
11-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Oh ya on these forums im on people want to be mentored. They get a mentor, post 2 times and and become inactive. THAT can be a problem.

Shaymin
11-04-2012, 12:59 AM
Oh ya on these forums im on people want to be mentored. They get a mentor, post 2 times and and become inactive. THAT can be a problem.

Yes, that can be. People like that have little to no initiative.

pikachumaster
11-04-2012, 10:20 PM
YYHD, some crystal users aren't mature.

X!!
12-13-2012, 03:02 PM

Yeah, like PikachuMaster. He's really immature.

J/k.

Anyways, it's funny how one and a half months had passed since this thread was created, and nobody did anything yet. Everyone says this is a good idea, but nobody implemented this. Seriously, wtf.

Ayra
12-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Keep in mind that I made the suggestion when crystals actually were mature.
I have to update my suggestion. The rank above emerald should be the eligible.

Dabottle
12-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Keep in mind that I made the suggestion when crystals actually were mature.

Emily was never mature.

Growth
12-13-2012, 05:03 PM

J/k.

Anyways, it's funny how one and a half months had passed since this thread was created, and nobody did anything yet. Everyone says this is a good idea, but nobody implemented this. Seriously, wtf.

^ This.

When this thread first came up I was really excited for it, because I'm really curious on how this would work out.

pikachumaster
12-13-2012, 09:54 PM

I wrote the post before I was crystal. >_<

Shaymin
12-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Interesting. This was revived today.

Now that we have this "veterans flaming the newbies" problem, this could be a way to solve that problem by just getting to know the new people more.

. . . Right?

Growth
12-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Interesting. This was revived today.

Now that we have this "veterans flaming the newbies" problem, this could be a way to solve that problem by just getting to know the new people more.

. . . Right?

Zach did indeed state that he had no interest in doing this himself, but if a mod would want to organize this project, he would be able to.
If you look back a few pages you can find Zach's response there.

I'll just leave it at that and offer my help incase one of the mods do decide to give this a shot.
(What I mean by offering help is helping the mod/mods organize it, if needed.)

Red
12-15-2012, 01:32 AM
The Adopt a Noob project has been started and discussion is no longer needed in this thread. Any questions may be posted in the FAQ thread provided here (http://superskarmory.net/forum/showthread.php?2906-Official-Adopt-a-newbie-FAQ-Thread).