PDA

View Full Version : A message from Majorasfan: User friendliness

Majorasfan
11-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Hello everyone, Majorasfan here! I'm here for a serious discussion today, and it probably affects a majority of the members in some way.

I've known for a while, but I recently discovered the severity of a problem we've had on these forums for a little while: disrespecting the newer users on the forum. I've seen all sort of people do this, and I felt I needed to make a message here.

Before you jump to conclusions, know this: I'm not taking one side or the other on this issue. I want everyone to get along to the best of their ability, so I'll address both of the groups in my own way.

For the veteran users - You guys have been with us through thick and thin, and I totally appreciate you guys sticking with us. You know how forums work, and you've been here for literally years. Thank you for all of that.. but please, don't be cruel to the newer users or anything. I know what you're thinking, "noobs pls, stahp spaming evrywhre," and stuff, but remember that you guys were all in their position before. If anyone remembers our valiant fights with the SOS Brigade (the stupid one, not Haruhi's SOS Brigade) then you remember how annoying trolling can be and stuff. I'm not saying its that bad, but I'm also saying, try to be more understanding. We have all ages on this site, and if you think some people will be more mature than others, you're absolutely right - but that doesn't mean older people have the right to ridicule younger ones. If we insult new users, then how can we expect the site to grow past what we have? That's about all I have to say.. stay classy, folks, and try to be understanding. = )

For the newer users - You might be pretty new to forums, or maybe you're just new to this community. Adjusting can be tough, but try to avoid being overly spammy or stuff. You'll learn how the SS community does things before long, and it's OK if you don't fit right in, right away. Give it some time, and you'll have all sorts of friends.. but don't be pushy and stuff to the older veterans, either. Just try to get along!

That's really all I had to say. I hope everyone can get along, sort of like the good old Dango family. They're all one big, happy family. (dango)(dango)(dango)

Oh, and one last word - if things get worse and some users are being noticeably mean to others, it won't matter if it's a veteran bullying a new user, or a new user annoying a veteran - I'll give out infractions if I see it. I have good judgement, so if you're joking, don't worry.. but if you're really being cruel, I'll infract. I want everyone to get along, that's all.

Thank you for reading this message, and please leave feedback on this. I'm not trying to be a big, scary mod or anything, but I just don't want there to be any serious conflicts. Thanks again, minna-san! = )

BreeZaps
11-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Thank you Nick for making this thread. I have been a bit mean to Pokemon73...

Sammiiee13
11-02-2012, 03:41 PM
I think this is a great thread. I have been around for a couple months now, but I still feel fairly new. I haven't really talk to a lot of people here but everyone I have talked to has been really nice to me!

Minntul
11-02-2012, 03:42 PM
thank you based führer

Umbrony
11-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Thank you for adressing this issue, Nick. it makes me happy that you have been paying attention to what is going on in the community, and you have adressed this major issue. I really want this to be a fun place for the new members, but it wont be if they keep following the examples of other certain members, we'll get nowhere. I think it is possible for everyone to get along with each other, and for us all to be a family. We cannot be a family however, if we cannot all get along in harmony. This makes me very sad. D=
I hope this message leads to many improvements in our community. I hope to see better treatment of certain members from here on out. =D

Shantae
11-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Thank you Major for creating this very well informed thread.

Zachgoose
11-02-2012, 04:37 PM
I hope everyone can get along, sort of like the good old Dango family. They're all one big, happy family. (dango)(dango)(dango)

Get out. Now.

Thanks for the post, though.

Dabottle
11-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks, Hitler. ^_^

Will do.

Pokemon73
11-02-2012, 05:01 PM
i think this is great because lots of people can get along right here right now and nobody listens to me in the chat room

Tuxy
11-02-2012, 05:05 PM
I am very glad you made this post. I can only hope things will start to change now, but we'll have to wait and see.

pikachumaster
11-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Thanks, but I don't know which group I'm in... Oh well.

DarkGlaceon
11-02-2012, 09:08 PM
I was wondering when this issue would be addressed by a mod or admin... I have seen a lot of examples of this happening between newer members and veterans... I don't really consider myself in either group, since I was never really well known on the older forums and I am not a complete newb either... Anyway, thanks Nick, for telling us about this.

~OkamiSaphira/DarkGlaceon

Austin
11-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Spank you, Mr. ScaryModGuy.

newsupermariobros
11-02-2012, 09:14 PM
It's great that Nick has made this thread.It makes us think about how we are being a bit mean to the new users.When I was a new user I had my first threads locked up.I was stupid.XD.But then I got to understand how the forum works so I try to be a good user by welcoming and guiding some of the new users.

24kShinx
11-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Well Majorasfan, I think you have spoken for every single person who wants this community to improve.
Bearing in mind that it won't be perfect, nothing ever is, but still we can make it a better place for all members; 'cause no one likes a bad egg.

Ice
11-02-2012, 09:26 PM
our valiant fights with the SOS Brigade
valiant fight =/= our younger selves screaming like idiots because we were shown pictures of body parts

Also, I have not seen anything serious since the start of the forums where people were still getting used to it. Now, most people are accustomed to the crap and only get really annoyed after someone has managed to not use their brain for a while and I honestly see no problem with pointing out when someone is doing something stupid, is getting really obnoxious, or is just failing to do something as simple as using common sense.

pikachumaster
11-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Wow, Ice. I should have been there to witness that. :P Oh well, I wasn't there.

Ice
11-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Wow, Ice. I should have been there to witness that. :P Oh well, I wasn't there.
You act like that's a bad thing... It was all incredibly stupid and the SuperEyan quest for supreme Internet dictatorship wasn't a good period overall.

Shaymin
11-02-2012, 11:17 PM
Ah, yes, thank you for adressing this, Nick-sama. I may have been a bit mean to narutomoon, but just because of a misunderstanding on my part. I take full blame if I do get an infraction for it.

Patriot
11-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Oh well, guess I can loosen up for this forum. I'm naturally a **** and can easily get ticked off by many things, but I can play nice.

(Ehehehe)

Ayra
11-03-2012, 02:38 PM
well said, nick. i think it is a great idea that we discontinue to attack the younger and/or newer users. i dont consider myself as a veteran to the forums, or a noob to the forums as well.
Ya know, i was a noob at one time (before i got bronze rank). i was a complete idiot; my posts got locked as soon as i posted them; and my rep went off a waterfall each time. I learned from my mistakes and became a great member of the community, and if i can do it, so can all of the newer users!

X!!
11-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Thank you for this post, yadda yadda yadda, *inserts stuff on how the forums have been out of control, lately*. Blah blah blah, you get the point.

I have been mean to quite a few members...Pokemon73, SkittyGoddess, and YYHD... I apologize to those three members for being mean.

Ayra
11-03-2012, 09:49 PM
I have been mean to quite a few members... and YYHD... I apologize to those... members...

no need to apologize to me. i dont feel that you have been mean enough to me for an apology to be necessary. i do, however, see where you are coming from

Rocket
11-03-2012, 11:13 PM
This is a very good thread.I always used to be a noob at every website I went to.I learned from all the other veteran fourm members that you have to make good posts and be nice to other users.

LovelyOshawott
11-04-2012, 06:06 AM
This thread needed to be made. Some people didnt respect others and it simply was not right.

CaptainRed1000
11-05-2012, 12:20 AM
Ironically, All the people on my ignore list are Crystal Users. Not All Crystal Users, just 5 of them.
But yes, Nick, you are right.

Majorasfan
11-05-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm glad that this might have helped things! Like I said, we all totally have room for improvement somehow - my biggest improvement is fixing my record of inactivity I've had (I DO blame my computer, because my desktop still doesn't connect to the Internet But now I have a laptop.. but I digress).

In any case, thanks for being so understanding, minna-san! I appreciate you all. = )

Oh, and Ice is totally right - but AT THE TIME, it sure seemed like a valiant battle. Now I realize most of us,especially myself, were being totally silly.. we fought so many forums in our time. But we're the ones left standing, so I guess that counts for something, right? Maybe? Probably not. = P

Dragonite
11-05-2012, 07:04 PM
This web domain is a lot better at not harassing new users than some communities I've been on that shan't be named.

But yes, most people here, especially me, ought to read the rules about "mini-modding" and spamming and bothering people once in a while. And think before we click "post reply."

Qwerty
11-06-2012, 03:35 AM
veterans spam too guyz its k i got your back bro.
Anyways just enjoy yourself on the forums, you don't have to take it too seriously.

Spitfire
11-06-2012, 04:18 PM
How do you plan to infract users if you're hardly ever on (and yes I do realize you're hardly ever on because of college but that still doesn't take away from that point). Also I don't feel like punishing other parties are the ways to go, Mr. Uzi has been reasoning with a lot of people and brokering peace between many users. I feel like that is a much better way than just flat out punishing them, especially since I'd say that since you're on less that means you learn less about what happens and therefore may make incorrect decisions based on knowledge you have open to you. And even if you intend to just let the other staff members do the work as is their job you still reach a problem, SS is either never on or not doing to much on the site (of course he's a busy guy makes sense he'd delegate power to other users) however let's take him out of the equation and just look at the staff that has viewed this thread. Five (unless Xpl is a hidden mod (which I wouldn't put past him)) of ten staff members have (this is excluding SS) so only 50% of the staff have even bothered to see what you said here. Of those five three of them are moderators out of the six moderators so only 50% of the moderators have checked this thread. How do you intend to combat these problems?

~Love, Spitfire

Umbrony
11-08-2012, 02:13 AM
Nick has had certain group of newer members come to him on this topic, who complained and begged for his help, so he is doing the best he can. The members whining to him may have been exaggerating a little in some people's eyes, but this was real to them. From what I've seen, they are sick of being called mindless idiots all of the time, accused of not using their brains, and being harassed repeatedly in the chat by having certain older members poking at their opinions, views, and grammar. A few of the older ones agreed. They were tired of seeing these members treated so horribly. They did not want to sit back and watch the forums tearing itself apart from the inside out. So i can understand why reasoning just doesn't seem to be enough for them, because it seems to never work for them, or be enough. They claim the so called "harassment" continued. So they, being fed up, pleaded with Nick to take more drastic measures, because they all agreed that an online community should not be like that, having the veterans in higher stature and being so high-and-mighty over the newer members. If it were me, To be honest, I'd be handing out chat-bans the moment I saw some sign of serious slandering against any certain member. I have zero tolerance on seeing others treated like... Well, trash. Zero respect whatsoever. I mean, some users get bashed so much, they are afraid to log in. Think about it.
To some of the older ones out there, this may not be such a big deal. But I've seen the way they've been treated, and it is a big deal to them, so much that some of them are afraid to log in, just because of the way they'll be treated if they say something that is seen as dumb. We may be wring, but we go about it the right way. You older guys are right, and often go about it the wrong way. And I must say, If it were me, I'd want punishment to be dealt in the name my cause as well. Anything to end the so called "harassment". =\
I can understand you guys grew up together on these forums, been together a long, long time, through thick and thin, so you all know how this works. You're doing your best to shape us all up into respectable members of the forums, but what you don't realize is...

Not everyone is gonna listen because eighty or so percent of Eyan's fanbase are below the age of thirteen.

So a lot of your efforts are wasted on trying to teach them by going about it the way you do. If this is your goal, be a bit nicer and helpful, not "Hey u moron ur doing such and such thing wrong idiot can't spell lel". I know you may talk like this to your older forum friends, and they can laugh about it, because they know youre just kidding, but the newer and younger members may not understand, as they are just getting to know you. Take on the attitude of a schoolteacher for example, or a guidance counselor, and I'm sure they'll understand. It's gonna take some time to learn what it takes to be a great member, so just be a bit kinder when correcting someone, okay?
All members deserve the equal amount of respect.
It is also rather a problem that SS, and a lot of the staff are not as active as they should be, so not many measures can be taken at the moment but this kind of thing. The moderators who message Eyan about the state the forums are in right now are lucky to even receive a reply. Some of the staff may also be fed up, and are just staying out of this entire mess... We have a little staff, and I think they all work hard and do the best they can to put an end to these kind of things, but what can they do without the forum creator's help..?
How can we make the changes necessary to end this predicament without the forum creator? It's his forum, so would it hurt him so bad to step in just once and check on us?
I know he's busy... Really busy, but one cannot help but ask...
Eyan, where are you..?

BreeZaps
11-08-2012, 02:42 AM
Emily is right. So right. I have nonthing to say but throw this out. These lines are from a song. And its fits whats happening right now.

Turn on channel seven at quarter to eight,
You see the same damn thing just a different day,
And no one really knows why this is happening,
But its happening.
And everyway that you go is just a different place,
You get the same dark feelings, you see the same sad faces,
And no one really cares that this is happening.

That is all guys.
Im not taken sides here.
I just want to throw this out.

Merga
11-08-2012, 03:01 AM
For once, I actually agree with Emily. I feel that older members are most of the time going a little too hard on the newer members. I, myself, am trying to take it easy on the newer members, despite the questionable things that they do on here. Perfection isn't made in a day, so newer members aren't going to be the picture members of this forum in that amount of time.

Red
11-08-2012, 03:10 AM
It is rather a problem that SS, and a lot of the staff are not as active as they should be, so not many measures can be taken at the moment but this kind of thing. The moderators who message Eyan about the state the forums are in right now are lucky to even receive a reply. Some of the staff may also be fed up, and are just staying out of this entire mess... We have a little staff, and I think they all work hard and do the best they can to put an end to these kind of things, but what can they do without the forum creator's help..?
How can we make the changes necessary to end this predicament without the forum creator? It's his forum, so would it hurt him so bad to step in just once and check on us?
I know he's busy... Really busy, but one cannot help but ask...
Eyan, where are you..?

I agree with everything in that post other than this paragraph. In the entire history of the forums(at least from SS.net V1) Eyan rarely played a part in the development of it's community. It was a project from Majora that eventually turned into a success. Eyan isn't needed to help these forums(Other than paying the monthly bill). Even if he decides to intervene, the fact that he's so uninformed of what's going on(from his "business") won't make it work out. He would just come up with some generic punishment method that would never work in all honesty. The staff are working as hard as they can to keep the forums running smoothly.

All members deserve the equal amount of respect.

Respect isn't given, it's earned.

Majorasfan
11-08-2012, 03:13 AM
Well voiced concerns from all parties. Let me take a moment to address them to the best of my abilities.

Spitfire: Your arguments are valid. Talking through with users generally IS the best way to go, and I would like to see that be the case most of the time. If I sounded like I was just going to start tossing infractions out, I'm sorry - that's not my intention. It's just that there seemed to be a real problem, and none of the staff were either in a position to do anything, or were on. I took the plate just to make some action. Like I said in the post, I hope nothing ever causes infractions - I mainly intended this to be a warning of sorts, and from at I've gathered, thing indeed have been getting better lately. But to answer your question, if someone was being cruel enough to actually warrant an infraction, I would expect to see either 1). print screen evidence, or 2). 3 or more testimonies from members. I believe in innocent until proven guilty, and as you mentioned, I don't want to cause issues. So far, that hasn't been the case, so I'm glad. = )

Oh, and as for my activity - as mentioned above, I won't need to see it directly, really.. but I feel like this is a good time as any to address this. I'm just as aware as anyone on how inactive I've been between the end of August and the end of October, and I want to apologize for that. My desktop had every problem in the book connecting to the Internet, and it still won't connect here on campus. I got a laptop around my birthday, and I've been using it for the Internet, an in turn, to get on the forums. Now that I've had this, I'm trying to be more active, and I'm trying to get online a bit more. I can't speak for the other inactive staff members, but I have a resolve to come on more often.

CelestialNova & Breezaps: Yup, that basically sums it up. It was getting really bad.. and they came to me with the request, and I couldn't just sit back and do nothing after I found out how deep the issue is. Like I said, it sounds like things are getting better, so the issues are being resolved.. I'm honestly happy about that. = )
As for Eyan logging on.. that's more of an unknown question. Eyan's quite busy himself, and his focus is more on Youtube than on the forums. I haven't talked to him lately, but he's never had an amazing record of being uber-active on the forums. Most of the staff ha become inactive though, and I was definitely a part of that as well, for which I'm ashamed. As stated above, though, I hope to change that. (Oh, and I would have said something about me being the creator of the forums, but then I remembered that these particular ones weren't made by me. Darn it. xD)

*Edit* As I was posting, Red posted right before me, which happens to match this last paragraph basically. And he's definitely right about being informed - I had trouble for a few days because I was away for so long, and I'm still trying to totally re-adjust.

Uzi
11-08-2012, 03:18 AM
#DemoteKyo2012

Seriously, we need to confront the inactive staff members or something. I'm having a fit. I do NOT like the idea of just hiring others to pick up the slack of those who do not feel the need to log on at least once a week or something just to say hi or give an update. I think that bringing Red and Cheese into a situation like this without smoothing out our problems first is ridiculous and needs to be addressed. We certainly need a place where we can meet up and discuss this in a civil manner, as the staff section is a mess (I'll take the blame for this), and no one really cares about the chat that shall not be named because it's full of asshats who don't care.

Excuse my language.

Red
11-08-2012, 03:22 AM
#DemoteKyo2012

Seriously, we need to confront the inactive staff members or something. I'm having a fit. I do NOT like the idea of just hiring others to pick up the slack of those who do not feel the need to log on at least once a week or something just to say hi or give an update. I think that bringing Red and Cheese into a situation like this without smoothing out our problems first is ridiculous and needs to be addressed. We certainly need a place where we can meet up and discuss this in a civil manner, as the staff section is a mess (I'll take the blame for this), and no one really cares about the chat that shall not be named because it's full of asshats who don't care.

Excuse my language.

Why not make another chat then?

Uzi
11-08-2012, 04:08 AM
Removing all parties not involved with the moderation of the forum sounds like a good place to go.

I'll do it tomorrow.

Flubbs
11-08-2012, 04:54 AM
Well then, this certainly has become a mess hasn't it? I do think that some users are being a bit too harsh on some of the new users. Although I do believe that some of the things that the new users say is questionable. I mean, of course this doesn't warrant harsh treatment of them, but I can see where the other users are coming from. It is something that needs to dealt with though because it is getting out of hand.

Also, staff activity doesn't seem too much of a problem. I see most staff log on at least once every couple days if not everyday. Asking for staff to solve everything isn't going to do very much if we aren't willing to cooperate (what am I saying, that won't happen anytime soon.) I think it's something we all have to solve as a community if we ever want to get anywhere.

MiniTapp
11-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Well I haven't been usign these forums a lot over the past few months, but I can say I remember being treated quite like an inferior when I started out on the forums around 3 years ago. Enough with the pretentious behaviour, I say.

Majorasfan
11-08-2012, 06:13 PM
In terms of removing the inactive mods, I can't say anything about it (Except I'm active now.. right? So I'm safe. xD) except that certain ones, who I think we know, would be a problem if they were removed. Basically, although Eyan is incredibly inactive, it's sort of like a spirit guarding a random village, and when something happens that displeases said spirit, like a certain villager leaving the council of elders, then the spirit gets mad and punishes the village. (Yeah, I'm probably being influenced by Higurashi here).

In layman terms, it's hard to get much of anything done without incurring anger somewhere up on the chain of command. It's not right, of course, but it'll be difficult to fix. I'll defend any sensible positions, but it won't make things any easier.

Reiko Asagiri
11-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks Nick! I've been through a lot and this really helps not only me, but for everyone else who has been cyber-bullied! Again, thank you for everything!!!

Umbrony
11-18-2012, 03:39 AM
Okay, since I'm the self-proclaimed Insane Voice of Reason when I see someone sad from being ganged up against on this site, I feel like I have to rant on something that's been ******* me the hell off lately and that's the lack of respect for a certain user, Skitty/Zoruagoddess.

Look I'm sick and tired of this drama that plagued this site, most recently the whole Skitty vs. Brick, LP, Ruby, (yeah calling you out) and co. situation. I'm done with people who don't know how to freaking act mature and not bash someone young and inexperienced, or not know how to act period. Everyone knows I have a low tolerance for members picking on other members, but now I'm not taking anymore crap watching the way you treat THIS member. We all SHOULD be a family, so we should act like it instead of starting crap on somebody's grammar and ideals, and then don't want to resolve it in any way possible. Yeah I may not handle things in the most mature matter, like my swearing angrily in the chat in objection to the way you are treating my friend, Zorua, but I TRY get it done and some people need harsher words to get it through their head sometimes. What I'm getting at act your age when a conflict happens instead of being a closed minded *****.

Every time I'm on SS all I see happening is Drama, Sarcasm, Randomness, and bullying/plain harsh criticism that makes no sense, and those annoying new members who are n00bs themselves that think they are so 'high and mighty' because they got some of the older members' approval, and can pick on someone who has been dealing with bullying before they even joined because they see people like LP and co treating her like she is special needs, that need to go somewhere. seriously what the heck have we turned into? Speaking as one of the only active members against this "trend" of doing nothing but bullying/criticizing, I think-- no KNOW this needs to Die out or make a change of direction because I find it selfish that all you want to contribute to the site is just criticism. there's no more discussions no more fun threads. I'm not saying Stop offering criticism, I'm just saying if you're gonna be on this site do more then just criticize/bully because this forum isn't centered around being disrespectful to others. so IF you're going to get mad at me for this Rant I got four words for you:
Come At Me Bro

(my exceptionally bad grammar getting to you in this post?
SAY. SOMETHING.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhnnhwj2Lk1qdlkgg.gif)

I stand up for my beliefs.

Comments I've noticed...

segment #1
[17-11, 11:52]*ZoruaGoddess: whats logic?
[17-11, 11:52]*pikachumaster: Intelligence, Zorua.
[17-11, 11:52]*Lord Penguin: what about urist?
[17-11, 11:52]*Bricktoag: zorua its the opposite of every single comment youve ever made
[17-11, 11:53]*Uzi: brick
[17-11, 11:53]*ZoruaGoddess: again, whats logic?
[17-11, 11:53]*Uzi: theres still crystal members that are awful
[17-11, 11:53]*Uzi: Even LP is ****ing stupid at times

Im glad Uzi told him that, because Brick is kissing up to almost all the crystal users picking on Skitty.

(His definition is wrong, anyways.)

Logic: Reasoning conducted or assessed according to strict principles of validity.

pikachumaster
11-18-2012, 03:49 AM
^^ I agree with this.

Skitty/Zorua is being treated harshly, and it should stop. Just today there was "drama" in the chat because of this, and Nova had to get info from me to solve it. It shouldn't be like this, we should all be a big, happy family! But from what I've seen, we're nowhere close to that.

Disco Scratch
11-18-2012, 04:48 AM
It shouldn't be like this, we should all be a big, happy family! But from what I've seen, we're nowhere close to that.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6317689/Miscillaneous/tumblr_mblvvxLxMe1qeaf7s.png
Allow me to take part in this argument, because it appears to go no where.
There's no such thing as a big happy family on the internet. There has never been and never will be. Drama, arguments, disagreements will always ensue due to anonymity.
I'm just going to say this now, it's not going to happen. It doesn't matter who you are or what forum you go on, there will be grievances and you just have to put up with it.
I know you don't like it, in fact you probably hate it. But that's what fuels drama.

Spitfire
11-18-2012, 04:52 AM
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6317689/Miscillaneous/tumblr_mblvvxLxMe1qeaf7s.png
Allow me to take part in this argument, because it appears to go no where.
There's no such thing as a big happy family on the internet. There has never been and never will be. Drama, arguments, disagreements will always ensue due to anonymity.
I'm just going to say this now, it's not going to happen. It doesn't matter who you are or what forum you go on, there will be grievances and you just have to put up with it.
I know you don't like it, in fact you probably hate it. But that's what fuels drama.

http://i.imgur.com/OA3O6.jpg

Red
11-18-2012, 04:59 AM
Okay, since I'm the self-proclaimed Insane Voice of Reason when I see someone sad from being ganged up against on this site, I feel like I have to rant on something that's been ******* me the hell off lately and that's the lack of respect for a certain user, Skitty/Zoruagoddess.

Look I'm sick and tired of this drama that plagued this site, most recently the whole Skitty vs. Brick, LP, Ruby, (yeah calling you out) and co. situation. I'm done with people who don't know how to freaking act mature and not bash someone young and inexperienced, or not know how to act period. Everyone knows I have a low tolerance for members picking on other members, but now I'm not taking anymore crap watching the way you treat THIS member. We all SHOULD be a family, so we should act like it instead of starting crap on somebody's grammar and ideals, and then don't want to resolve it in any way possible. Yeah I may not handle things in the most mature matter, like my swearing angrily in the chat in objection to the way you are treating my friend, Zorua, but I TRY get it done and some people need harsher words to get it through their head sometimes. What I'm getting at act your age when a conflict happens instead of being a closed minded *****.

Every time I'm on SS all I see happening is Drama, Sarcasm, Randomness, and bullying/plain harsh criticism that makes no sense, and those annoying new members who are n00bs themselves that think they are so 'high and mighty' because they got some of the older members' approval, and can pick on someone who has been dealing with bullying before they even joined because they see people like LP and co treating her like she is special needs, that need to go somewhere. seriously what the heck have we turned into? Speaking as one of the only active members against this "trend" of doing nothing but bullying/criticizing, I think-- no KNOW this needs to Die out or make a change of direction because I find it selfish that all you want to contribute to the site is just criticism. there's no more discussions no more fun threads. I'm not saying Stop offering criticism, I'm just saying if you're gonna be on this site do more then just criticize/bully because this forum isn't centered around being disrespectful to others. so IF you're going to get mad at me for this Rant I got four words for you:
Come At Me Bro

(my exceptionally bad grammar getting to you in this post?
SAY. SOMETHING.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhnnhwj2Lk1qdlkgg.gif)

I stand up for my beliefs.

First off:
Shut. The ****. Up. You claim that people need to be mature to other members on the forums, yet you say that you're required to say harsh words to others as well. You're just stooping to their level. You're also being a hypocrite by saying people are acting high and mighty. You're making yourself out to be the "high and mighty" one by saying that you're the "self proclaimed Voice of Reason". You are not a staff member; so stop acting like it. As for Skittygoddess' constant harassment she has it coming to her because of how ****ing sheltered she acts. As for dealing with the harassment I'm going to start infracting people the moment I see them harassing another member because this is honestly starting to **** me off too. If you want to appeal the infraction message Uzi or I directly.

Umbrony
11-18-2012, 05:10 AM
First off:
Shut. The ****. Up. You claim that people need to be mature to other members on the forums, yet you say that you're required to say harsh words to others as well. You're just stooping to their level.

http://t.qkme.me/362hm9.jpg

I may come off looking like an *******, but harsh words are sometimes the only things people understand. Like your post just now caught my attention. I hate being harsh, but I was fed up with the way people treat Skitty. No matter how ditzy she may seem, she is my friend, and I will stand up for her no matter what. Even if it ruins my standing in some people's eyes.

You're also being a hypocrite by saying people are acting high and mighty. You're making yourself out to be the "high and mighty" one by saying that you're the "self proclaimed Voice of Reason". You are not a staff member; so stop acting like it.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8R0iKA1mBbc/SyRWM4e7nsI/AAAAAAAAAMA/luOLeF7qzHM/S220/Wet+Cat+face.jpg

I know I am not a staff member. And I tried to talk to a few friends on skype, and I was the only one that wanted to post about this, so I came off looking like I had a lofty air about me. People know I am not high and mighty, it's obvious by the way I come off in most peoples eyes here. Im just a normal n00b myself, a nobody tryng to be a somebody in a sea of nobodies who are really all somebodies surrounded by nobodies already being somebody being somebody who were nobodies treating nobodies like crap. I'm just standing up for what I thought was right, so I had to talk like I had some authority. Last time I just was like "hey guys", not everyone (mostly nobody) took me seriously. So I decided I would try and sound more serious this time. Go on and infract me for mini-modding, it doesn't matter. I hope I just got the point across. So it's all worth it in the end.

Uzi
11-18-2012, 05:12 AM
It'd be much easier to take you seriously without dumb reaction images. That's why I don't pay attention to Disco Scratch, Wolfy, and Spitty when they post with images.

Flubbs
11-18-2012, 05:24 AM
Can't everyone just please worry about themselves and stop getting so mad over the internet? This is a forum, not a daycare. The word IGNORE would benefit so many people here.

Weavile
11-18-2012, 05:25 AM
friend
You throw this term around as if you actually know these people. Sure they seem fine and dandy as people, but you don't really know them. In five years none of us are going to remember the friends we made on these forums. As nice as some of us are to each other, none of us will really be friends. We're all just lines of text on a screen. The notion of standing up for the feelings of a line of text that sometimes sends you messages on Skype is laughable when you think about it. Heck, I've been here for four years and only remember a handful of the people I've had awesome conversations with on these forums, and that handful is only because I still talk to most of them to this day. You might say that line of text, that username you think is just the coolest thing ever is still a real person, yet you remain anonymous to each other. Nobody on the internet is real.

tl;dr people on the internet ≠ people irl

Minntul
11-18-2012, 05:27 AM
it'd be cool if people let other people learn to defend themselves or grow up and stop being an idiot on the big bad mighty internet

last thing we need is skitty to listen to emily and gain nothing out of it since emily also has her fair share of hate most of the time.

Leafeon
11-18-2012, 06:00 AM
1. Thx for suportting me but I'm ok really. I got used to LP's taunting
2. I'm ok with the pictures. Some are actually pretty helpful for me. 3. I got nothing else =3
4. I'm ok with nii-nii teaching me stuff she knows.

Tainers14
11-18-2012, 06:11 AM
http://t.qkme.me/362hm9.jpg

I may come off looking like an *******, but harsh words are sometimes the only things people understand. Like your post just now caught my attention. I hate being harsh, but I was fed up with the way people treat Skitty. No matter how ditzy she may seem, she is my friend, and I will stand up for her no matter what. Even if it ruins my standing in some people's eyes.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8R0iKA1mBbc/SyRWM4e7nsI/AAAAAAAAAMA/luOLeF7qzHM/S220/Wet+Cat+face.jpg

I know I am not a staff member. And I tried to talk to a few friends on skype, and I was the only one that wanted to post about this, so I came off looking like I had a lofty air about me. People know I am not high and mighty, it's obvious by the way I come off in most peoples eyes here. Im just a normal n00b myself, a nobody tryng to be a somebody in a sea of nobodies who are really all somebodies surrounded by nobodies already being somebody being somebody who were nobodies treating nobodies like crap. I'm just standing up for what I thought was right, so I had to talk like I had some authority. Last time I just was like "hey guys", not everyone (mostly nobody) took me seriously. So I decided I would try and sound more serious this time. Go on and infract me for mini-modding, it doesn't matter. I hope I just got the point across. So it's all worth it in the end.

Being harsh and flaming someone is not user friendliness. That goes completely against what Majorasfan said. You should feel ashamed.

Dabottle
11-18-2012, 12:55 PM
By the way, Emily, your beloved Skitty caused a massive ****storm with Oshawott and Megagamer yesterday that lasted hours. I don't see how that's being friendly.

xBlackthornWolfx
11-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Can't everyone just please worry about themselves and stop getting so mad over the internet? This is a forum, not a daycare. The word IGNORE would benefit so many people here.

I'll just step in and point out this, because it's true. I've been a on of lot of forums before, big and small. And the case with a big one like this, there is just nothing anyone can do to change the attitude of an ENTIRE forum. The staff can tell people to knock it off all they want, and maybe it would work for a time or help maybe slightly, but the fact is is that it will always be there. In fact, what I've seen on this forum thus far isn't as bad as what I've seen on others.

"This is a forum, not a daycare." It isn't the job of the staff to be the one you come crying to every time someone calls you a name or whatever. It's the internet, like people above me have said. People are going to do what they want, and most of the time stuff can easily be ignored. If you are being constantly bullied by a certain member, in a serious manor, THEN I would take it up with the staff. But to post something like this, I really see no point. It is only going to fuel more arguments like this popping up. Besides, I really think if it was bothering her that much, Emily, Skitty would speak up for herself. She doesn't need you to hold her hand. Being helpful and a good friend is great and all, but this wasn't necessary.

Ice
11-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Like Sara said, what you're doing won't solve anything. It's the internet, this won't stop until you take it to the root of the problem, which is the member in question's actions. Everyone you say has been "bullied" has been talked to by these "bullies" and had how they were being disruptive explained to them. While this works for some people, it doesn't get through to everyone. Like you yourself said, some people need harsher words, and since even that doesn't work for some people, it has escalated to this point.

While it may be instinct to defend your friend that is being treated like this, it's really not the right approach. Screaming about it will do nothing, as stated before. If you want to improve the situation, try to explain why people get annoyed at her because she actually trusts you and might listen to you, and try to help her improve as a member. Your current method of dealing just kind of adds fuel to the ****storms.

Majorasfan
11-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Hmm.. Well, here's what I have to say.

As to the above, I totally agree. I can't magically make everyone's attitudes right, and I wouldn't even try. My whole point is that if people stick up for themselves and get ganged up and flamed, then the staff can infract to try to keep the peace.It's like the police - we can try to stop the worst effects, but we can't do everything. I would love if everyone could just figure out their issues on their own, but we'll step in if things get out of hand.

As for the even more above.. Tainers is right on that. If you believe that people are being unfair and ridiculous, don't flame at them. Red is right with that, because if you just flame back, you'll look bad, whether you are or not. This goes for everyone - if feel like you're being treated unfairly, turn the other cheek and don't attack them back. If its truly bad, we'll reprimand/ infract the other user, and you'll get justice. Don't make things any worse - we'll uphold what's right.

In closing, if there's something really that bad, and you really can't take it anymore, the staff will treat the issue fairly.

MegaBEAST
12-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Well im sorry to hear this is happening :(
Im sure everyone will get over it eventually if someone flames them and I agree with nick that we are (mostly) mature people who can solve our own problems.

DPminer
12-05-2013, 08:27 PM
thank you! i really just joined!

Blue-Sapphire<3
01-24-2014, 03:54 PM
Hi, I'm new here and was wondering if someone could help me? please..

Shantae
01-24-2014, 04:10 PM
Hi, I'm new here and was wondering if someone could help me? please..

Oh hi there! You should introduce yourself to the forums by creating a thread in Introduce Yourself section!
Also check these helpful threads out. It will help you become a fine SS member!

SS Forum Rules: http://superskarmory.net/forum/announcement.php?f=4&a=1
Rank System: http://superskarmory.net/forum/showthread.php?252-Guide-to-the-Ranking-System
How you Too Can Become a Good SS Member (by Spitty): http://superskarmory.net/forum/showthread.php?2187-Spitfire-s-Guide-on-How-You-Too-Can-Become-a-Good-SS-Member
Guide to Basic Grammar! (by Dabootel): http://superskarmory.net/forum/showthread.php?2188-Pengy-s-Guide-to-Basic-Grammar!

Blade Lord Nayru
05-26-2014, 02:01 AM
I don't think this thread has had the desired effect. I see a lot of users being disrespectful to others, so I want to point a few things out:

1: What you see as a joke someone else might take seriously. For example, Dragonite might call me a duck as a joke, but I might have been called a duck by bullies all my life, so I see it as more bullying. (this situation is entirely fictional, I don't think Dragonite has ever called anyone a duck)
2: Being mean is not funny. I see that some of the more popular members of the forums seem to be the meanest ones, because everyone finds it funny. I don't find it funny, I have been the victim to it several times and even when it happens to someone else it hurts me.
3: There are other ways to teach than being mean. Being mean seems to be the way it works around here, but it's probably the worst method imaginable, because a) it scares away new members, and b) if you're wrong you're just being an ******* for no reason.

I'm saying this because I've several times been told to get out and go away, and as someone who has never really found their place it's hurtful. It may be a joke to you, but it might not be to everyone.

Dragonite
05-26-2014, 02:09 AM
1: What you see as a joke someone else might take seriously. For example, Dragonite might call me a duck as a joke, but I might have been called a duck by bullies all my life, so I see it as more bullying. (this situation is entirely fictional, I don't think Dragonite has ever called anyone a duck)

in that case, you might want to take it up with them via PM. if they really are joking, and they know someone doesn't like it, they'll stop. silly goose.

Tainers14
05-26-2014, 02:11 AM
3: There are other ways to teach than being mean. Being mean seems to be the way it works around here, but it's probably the worst method imaginable, because a) it scares away new members, and b) if you're wrong you're just being an ******* for no reason.

Devil's advocate here. Many people don't learn and take you seriously if you're being nice to them. I agree people can get a little... mean. But it's worse when the person that is getting picked on is making a bigger deal about it than it actually is. It just makes them look worse tbh. And when they repeatedly do the same thing over and over again it does not improve the person's case that is getting bullied.

Blade Lord Nayru
05-26-2014, 02:15 AM
Devil's advocate here. Many people don't learn and take you seriously if you're being nice to them. I agree people can get a little... mean. But it's worse when the person that is getting picked on is making a bigger deal about it than it actually is. It just makes them look worse tbh. And when they repeatedly do the same thing over and over again it does not improve the person's case that is getting bullied.

Maybe they don't learn if you are nice to them, but being mean should still just be a last resort. The mean approach doesn't seem to work on Roxas, though, so the end result of that is just pain.

Xerodragon12
05-26-2014, 02:26 AM
Maybe they don't learn if you are nice to them, but being mean should still just be a last resort. The mean approach doesn't seem to work on Roxas, though, so the end result of that is just pain.
The nice approach doesn't really work with Roxas, either, considering we (or at least I) was nice to Roxas a few times, and he still didn't learn those first few times

Shaymin
05-26-2014, 02:29 AM

Don't most things end in pain, though? I mean if you're not careful.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/94790db59a0437fcaedd52ecb62861ef/tumblr_n5rbyz0FGh1r922azo1_400.gif

(Then again, Roxas is a very difficult case, so...)

But in all seriousness, it's more about playing along than anything. Unfortunately that's seems to be the default mode of this forum, and that's set to "we're sarcastic lil' kids!". Yes, it's the logical thing to say "we need to be nicer to newer members", but the truth of the matter is we've been a forum with a unique little community that never really seems to want to leave or change because we've stuck around so long. Change is hard, realistically speaking. Though change is painless if it's...

...let's look at it this way: painless change is a slope that one walks on, but never really notices the difference. A steep slope is hard to climb, and that's what I think most people's ideas of a drastic change looks like, a steep slope. So the change needs to start somewhere, with a handful of carefully picked members to initiate it. Then it all spreads and creates painless change. So if we chose to make this community into a nicer one, that's where we start.

Roxas
05-26-2014, 08:01 AM
Eh don't mind me. I think I got enough advice from Xero this time. (insert obligatory begging for forgiveness apology here)

Kitty
05-31-2014, 04:17 PM
I think this thread was very well written and needed. I've been a little mean to Noctowl lately. Hey, but we're friends now.