PDA

View Full Version : musical preferences

Ayra
11-07-2012, 04:47 PM
im not asking what your favorite genre of music is, that probably has been asked before. this is more like "what do you think makes a song good or bad" type of thread.

myself: i prefer good instruments, nice vocals, and heavy bass. i usually don't care about tempo, rythem, and the complicated things

Tuxy
11-07-2012, 04:50 PM
The lyrics
I usually only listen to songs with lyrics that mean something and/or try to send a message. Music is probably the best way to deliver such messages.

Minntul
11-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Should be in media discussion.

Personally, I don't think there is anything that is necessary to make music good, except of course a catchy rhythm. I can go from listening to music from an 8-bit game to listening to orchestrated music.

Dabottle
11-07-2012, 04:58 PM
The lyrics
I usually only listen to songs with lyrics that mean something and/or try to send a message. Music is probably the best way to deliver such messages.

I have never understood when people say things like this. If you listen to songs for the words and not the music, you may as well just read a poem, right?

Maybe I'm missing something...

DeMrTeunio
11-07-2012, 05:06 PM
I don't really know. I can't list my preferences here, because I think music is something more complicated than a number of elements thrown together. I either like or dislike the song as a whole, I don't look at a single aspect in particular.

BreeZaps
11-07-2012, 05:39 PM
The song and the beat is what make me like a song. A good song doesn't have to have words in it. Songs from a RPG can be the best kind of music. Thats what I think.

Dabottle
11-07-2012, 05:45 PM
A good song doesn't have to have words in it.

A song doesn't have to have words in it.

http://puu.sh/1nwpS

BreeZaps
11-07-2012, 05:56 PM
http://puu.sh/1nwpS
Thanks for pointing that out Pengy.

Well I go for the message the song is trying to tell me.

Merga
11-07-2012, 07:38 PM
I can enjoy almost anything that I listen to (other than country music of course). I like music with a catchy and upbeat rhythm and/or beat as well. I don't care about the lyrics as much as I do of the beat, unless the lyrics are supposed to be inspirational.

Red
11-07-2012, 08:29 PM
I think the way the instruments are played really define how good the music is. A song can have a good beat and rhythm, but the actual sound of the instruments used could be horrible. Example (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eae7CzJFs0g), too much emphasis is placed on the guitar in my opinion, still decent though.

Also mov'd to media discussion.

Dragonite
11-07-2012, 09:24 PM
It depends on a lot of things. I like instruments, but I like chiptune Pokemon just fine. At the same time, classical music bores me to death. I like lyrics, but I want to strangle people who try to "rap" in the locker room and about 98% of video game music doesn't have any.

I really have no idea how my brain decides what music I like or don't like.

pikachumaster
11-07-2012, 10:17 PM
I don't care for the lyrics. The music is what I like. Why do you think I can tolerate Justin Bieber without screaming?

CaptainRed1000
11-07-2012, 10:48 PM
A song has to have a theme, like what it's about, some good lyrics, and it needs to sound good. That's all I need.

Ayra
11-08-2012, 06:09 AM
Funny how pengy disproved of lyrics in his first post, approved then in his 2nd, and the music in his sig haz does NOT have lyrics

Dabottle
11-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Funny how pengy disproved of lyrics in his first post, approved then in his 2nd, and the music in his sig haz does NOT have lyrics

I do not recall saying anything about my music taste. I do mainly listen to VGM, though. I have a sad life. : (

Tainers14
11-09-2012, 01:08 AM
When I'm listening to bands, I like bands that have an incredible lead singer. It's why I enjoy Frankie Valli, Queen and Elton John so much.

If I'm listening to classical music, as long as the song doesn't suck, I'll enjoy it.

FelsicFurret
11-09-2012, 02:06 AM
Nowadays I mainly listen to video game and movie soundtracks, though I sometimes also listen to various kinds of classical/orchestral stuff. I really like the sound of a cello or of a good symphony orchestra in general. I'm OK listening to most rock, or jazz, but I'd usually prefer something different. There's no real particular mood or style I prefer within those groupings, though.

Ferrospike
11-09-2012, 02:42 AM
I prefer music with a good piano riff or a nice catchy tune. Also I enjoy heavy guitar and some screams and a nice fast complicated drum line.