PDA

View Full Version : Profile Reputation?

X!!
12-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Um... This is the first time I've posted a suggestion here.

So basically, is it possible to give rep through your profiles? Like, we give reputation to others through their posts, but is it possible to give rep via profile? For example, a few days after Red became a mod, he infracted me via profile for spamming swear words in the chatbox. In the same manner, can we give reputation through each other's profiles? Like, if someone helps you with something in the chatbox, and you want to give him or her rep as thanks for helping you, you could give reputation through that user's profile, instead of finding a random post that the user made and giving the rep from that post.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

pikachumaster
12-11-2012, 10:28 PM
I support this fully.

It would be a great idea, given that it is really annoying to have to find a post to rep someone.

newsupermariobros
12-11-2012, 10:28 PM
I support this idea.I've always been wondering if we could do this.It's weird finding a random post then give rep.

The Arrow
12-11-2012, 10:39 PM
I think I agree with this, but I'm not totally sure what you mean. Are you saying give someone rep through a visitor message, or like a button on their profile that you can click to give them rep?

By the way, I still think having the ability to choose how much rep you want to give is a good idea, and it could be implemented through profile reputation. (1-your total rep power.)

X!!
12-11-2012, 10:42 PM
I think I agree with this, but I'm not totally sure what you mean. Are you saying give someone rep through a visitor message, or like a button on their profile that you can click to give them rep?

Something like a button on the user's profile that allows you to give rep.

The Arrow
12-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Something like a button on the user's profile that allows you to give rep.

Oh, gotcha. Yeah, I think that would be a more efficient idea. The button could go either next to the user's green bars (rep), or below their profile picture. It could be a star just like it is on the posts, but maybe in a different color.

Leafeon
12-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Wow this idea sounds pretty smart. I find it when I want to rep someone I must go look for a random post. Even if it's not so great. All I would have to do is go to their profile. I support this 95%.

Dabottle
12-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Well, the whole point of rep is to rep good posts, but with likes that doesn't even happen any more. No one really follows the original system any more, nor does anybody really give rep. For example, my rep has been slowly declining over the past month. I'm not sure if this would help people actually give rep, if it's a good idea or if it's even possible to implement. However, something needs to be done about rep.

And we need still a bloody option to change date format.

LovelyOshawott
12-11-2012, 11:10 PM
I agree that it is a good idea. It makes giving rep more convient.

Patriot
12-11-2012, 11:10 PM
To be honest, it really isn't that hard to find a post to rep, and rep was originally meant to reward for good posts anyways.

And this forum still needs a bloody favicon.

Rocket
12-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Wow this idea sounds pretty smart. I find it when I want to rep someone I must go look for a random post. Even if it's not so great. All I would have to do is go to their profile. I support this 95%.

I support this fully.

It would be a great idea, given that it is really annoying to have to find a post to rep someone.

So basically, is it possible to give rep through your profiles? Like, we give reputation to others through their posts, but is it possible to give rep via profile? For example, a few days after Red became a mod, he infracted me via profile for spamming swear words in the chatbox. In the same manner, can we give reputation through each other's profiles? Like, if someone helps you with something in the chatbox, and you want to give him or her rep as thanks for helping you, you could give reputation through that user's profile, instead of finding a random post that the user made and giving the rep from that post.

I agree that it is a good idea. It makes giving rep more convient.

Per all.

DAMYOU10CHARLIMIT

Spitfire
12-12-2012, 01:30 AM
I see no reason to do it it'd be a feature that would never be used.

Shaymin
12-12-2012, 01:47 AM
I love how Patriot and Lord complained about what needs to be fixed of the forum-aru. (And I'm sorry to any Chinese person reading this as I'm not trying to be racist.)

But yeah, I like this idea. One could give rep for having a good looking profile and you won't have to look for the person's post.

Dragonite
12-12-2012, 01:55 AM
What about rep for VMs? I've seen a few VSs that are reputation-worthy. And we already have the Like button for VMs.

Merga
12-12-2012, 02:18 AM
One could give rep for having a good looking profile

One flaw on this statement. Rep was originally supposed to be given to good posts.

So what you are saying that this person can be the worst member in the world, only post 3 word posts on topics, maybe some that are completely irrelevant to the topic at hand, could have a horrible personality if he enters the chatbox, and you would still give this person your rep only because his profile looks nice. I don't see how having a good looking profile determines whether or not one should receive rep.

I don't think that this idea is needed, because it's not that hard to just go into someone's profile, click on the last thing that he/she posted, and give him rep that way. More convenient yes, but nothing really needed.

Ayra
12-12-2012, 02:20 AM
I think this would be a good idea. It will put more emphasis on repping than simply liking a post. It also would be a good deal of convenience

Spacey
12-12-2012, 02:51 AM
Im down with this, just a more convenient way to rep people.
As long as this isn't abused or something it's a good idea

Austin
12-12-2012, 03:19 AM
It's certainly more convienent than finding a post and giving the person rep that way. I don't really give rep, however, so I won't really use it.

Flubbs
12-12-2012, 04:13 AM
I'm on the opposing side on this one. I can see what you're trying to get at here, but rep is supposed to be given to users' posts and you really can't do that without actually looking at the post itself. It's a good idea, but it doesn't help the already broken rep system at all.

sonriopoby123
12-12-2012, 04:28 AM
I actually don't know about this. Yes, it would be easier to give rep by profile, but as the (broken) rep system was created for good posts.....

I don't know. =/

DeMrTeunio
12-12-2012, 08:00 AM

You're doing something wrong. You shouldn't decide to rep a user and then look for a post, it should be the other way around. You add to someone's reputation whenever you happen to come across a good post they made. I know we don't have chatbox reputation yet, but this is still the wrong way to do it.

On-topic, I actually do agree with this. Even though the chatbox is usually home to completely pointless conversations, there are decent conversations in there sometimes.

super dill
12-12-2012, 02:38 PM
i like the idea!It would make it way easier to give someone rep!

BreeZaps
12-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Really? The rep system is already broken. We don't need this. :/

Minntul
12-12-2012, 05:47 PM
The problems I see with this is that while someone can help you through the chatbox and you want an easier way to reward them, it would be easily abusable under many circumstances. The chatbox is usually the liveliest part of the forum, so someone can help you a day after you repped them for helping you, which most likely sets off the "You must spread reputation to 10 other users" message to appear. Also there are going to be many, many more repping just because you like the user, even if they did not help you via chatbox or the opposite of that, derepping because "hurrr ur a n00b". I've only been a mod for about a day and I'm already 10 times more disgusted at the rep system than I was before. Personally I think if you want to rep someone for helping you in the chatbox, just find a post and type the reason as "For helping me in the chatbox". It's not that hard at all to find a post of theirs if you search for their most recent posts via profile page.

I still think the rep system should be for posts only. It gives a better sense of equality and rewarding the user for their hard work and effort. If you want to gain rep, you have to work for it. It'd be better to get some through posts since it's public and more people have a chance of seeing it, which in turn helps the rep ****es get more from a different amount of people.

or we can just get rid of the rep system. i'd support that.

Zachgoose
12-12-2012, 11:14 PM
The rep system has sort of balanced itself out at this point. Because many users give 8-10 rep per post at this point, it's easy to get points. Before, I had to "add rep to people's profiles" just because it was hard for Silver Users to get to Gold at first. Besides, there aren't really "good" profile posts. You can like them, but profile messages and the chatbox are meant to be taken less seriously than the forums themselves.

Umbrony
12-12-2012, 11:16 PM
I second the terminate reputation system suggestion.

Anywho, I do get tired of having to look for "recent posts made by this user" for when I want to rep someone. it excludes inactive users of getting rep, because I notice sometimes that nothing appears under recent posts. Say you want to rep someone for having an awesome username (not sure who'd do that, just an example) who has not posted yet. You cannot rep them because they have not made a post yet.

In short, it may be a nice feature.

Dabottle
12-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Anywho, I do get tired of having to look for "recent posts made by this user" for when I want to rep someone. it excludes inactive users of getting rep, because I notice sometimes that nothing appears under recent posts. Say you want to rep someone for having an awesome username (not sure who'd do that, just an example) who has not posted yet. You cannot rep them because they have not made a post yet.

In short, it may be a nice feature.

No. Nonononononononono.

Minntul
12-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Say you want to rep someone for having an awesome username (not sure who'd do that, just an example) who has not posted yet. You cannot rep them because they have not made a post yet.

The general idea would be to avoid something like that happening.

Umbrony
12-13-2012, 12:46 AM
No. Nonononononononono.

Lolsmartypantswiththeonewordspammyreplies

Mental, you are correct. You've me thinking. It might be a good idea and useful to have in certain circumstances, but in most it might not. So we might not really need that to be added on.

Blue
12-24-2012, 02:39 AM
Go to profile, click on find latest posts, then click on something, hit the rep button.

I honestly don't care if this is added or not.

megagamer
12-24-2012, 01:48 PM

I agree with you. It would be so much easier if it was this way.

Cutiepuffle
12-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Then again, we can always look at hir recent activity and find a post easily that way. But if somebody messed around with the chatbox and had no posts we'd have a problem.

X!!
12-25-2012, 01:14 AM
Then again, we can always look at hir recent activity and find a post easily that way. But if somebody messed around with the chatbox and had no posts we'd have a problem.

But the chatbox will not appear for you unless you have at least one post.

Rocket
12-25-2012, 07:19 PM
I think it would be a good idea to have that.

brecot
12-26-2012, 03:32 AM
Hmmm, I like but then dislike this.

I mean it's only for good posts. Though if you do something good somewhere else then you need. It.

Davismt
12-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Yes, I completely agree with this idea! I hate having to go find a random post to give people reputation, and I think being able to give people rep via their profile would make things much easier.

Christian
12-29-2012, 01:27 AM
I can see both pros and cons with this idea but... I don't really like it. We, as stated, already have a way of giving reputation. Why do it this way too?

SuperPikachuTNT
12-30-2012, 08:28 AM
I really like this idea very nice idea