PDA

View Full Version : What gender do you think Birdo is?

Blue
12-30-2012, 01:01 AM
Birdo appears to be female, but some games call him a male and others female.

It's so confusing, what do you think?

According to the North American instruction manual of Super Mario Bros. 2:"Birdo thinks he is a girl and likes to be called Birdetta. He likes to wear a bow on his head and shoot eggs from his mouth."

it is shown in the U.S. manual of Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, the female characters have a pink dot behind them, including Birdo.
[From Mariowiki]

Clairvoya
12-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Birds is and has always been a female to me. She seems to be a match for Yoshi, too. Even if she does look like a hair dryer.

Dragonite
12-30-2012, 01:04 AM
I see a lot of art like this one, official and otherwise, so I'm going to go with the assumption that Birdo's female.

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/30400000/Cute-Yoshi-and-Birdo-love-yoshi-and-birdo-30426097-900-420.jpg

Leafeon
12-30-2012, 01:07 AM
Well obviously by her pink bow, her pink skin, her diamond ring, and her ablitiy to lay eggs I'm suggesting that Birdo is a male jk. X3

LovelyOshawott
12-30-2012, 01:16 AM
Pink and has a bow. Boy,maybe.

newsupermariobros
12-30-2012, 01:16 AM
I think that she's female and like most people say she's a nice match for yoshi.

Tuxy
12-30-2012, 02:11 AM
Nowadays, Birdo is designed to look female. That's why I think of her as female. Simple as that.

Sammiiee13
12-30-2012, 03:38 AM
I have always thought of Birdo as a female, ever since I was little.

SuperPikachuTNT
12-30-2012, 08:06 AM
She's a female well wean I first saw her (in Mario party 8) I thought she was a girl version of yoshi so ya huh

X!!
12-30-2012, 09:43 AM
I think Birdo is female. They probably called Birdo a male way back in SMB2 and then changed her gender into female.

Ayra
12-30-2012, 05:31 PM
She seems to be a match for Yoshi
you can jump off a cliff with that statement

and birdo has breasts

Rocket
12-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Birdo makes eggs, which all dinosaurs can do. Birdo has A RING on her/his finger in MP9, which means it is married. I think Birdo's a girl because of the ring, breasts, and pink stuff.

sonriopoby123
12-30-2012, 09:44 PM
It's gender is Cheese.

Merga
12-30-2012, 11:10 PM
I've always called Birdo a hermaphrodite because I think that most of its gender conspiracies are either rediculous or hilariously stupid. That and I don't really care what Birdo is.

Davismt
12-31-2012, 01:12 AM
I've always considered Birdo a female ever since I first saw her.

Blue
12-31-2012, 02:07 AM
Birdo makes eggs, which all dinosaurs can do. Birdo has A RING on her/his finger in MP9, which means it is married. I think Birdo's a girl because of the ring, breasts, and pink stuff.

Yoshi makes eggs too. Who's a guy.

phantomscar
01-01-2013, 05:58 AM
Birdo is supposed to be male according to actual info from nintendo, so ill say male

UbersSuck20
01-01-2013, 12:02 PM
You know guys, just because Birdo is pink != Birdo is female.

I think Birdo is actually male, but I don't know why. Though in SMRPG he/she acts like a female.

Umbrony
01-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Both.

Birdo has been the subject of discussion relating to her gender identity. Gamasutra editor Simon Carless described Birdo as "infamously gender-confused". It is speculated by Wired editor Chris Kohler that the gender issue was retconned to make her female, while Reitz suggests that she underwent a *** change operation. In the book Vintage Games: An Insider Look at the History of Grand Theft Auto, Super Mario, and the Most Influential Games of All Time, the authors describe Birdo as the most notable character in Super Mario Bros. 2 due to being the first transsexual character in video games. GamesRadar editor Chris Antista has discussed Birdo in several articles. He listed Birdo #1 in his top seven "That's a Dude?!" game characters. He cited her bow, mascara, her being pink, and her being able to lay eggs as the identifying features of Birdo being female, while using the manual insert as the sole evidence to her being male. In the article "10 things you didn't know about Super Mario Bros 2," Antista listed Birdo's gender confusion, stating that the revelation was similar to when "lead singer of Judas Priest came out to a legion homophobic metalheads dressed to the nines in skin tight leather left wondering if their ****s will fall off." He also picked her as his first gaming crush, commenting that he worried that he would be outed once he read about her gender confusion in the manual.
In his article "Too Gay for the U.S.A.", editor Andrew Webster used the history of Birdo in the lead-in to his article, commenting on how Nintendo tried to hide Birdo's gender confusion, and how "He's just one of a long line of Japanese videogame characters forced to hide their true sexual identity". GamesRadar UK listed Birdo as one of "gaming's most repelling anti-babes", describing her as a "pink, egg blowing, transvestite dinosaur with a mouth like a burst fire hose," thereby describing her as "terrifying". ScrewAttack placed Birdo 6th on their top 10 pink video game characters, saying that she "is a gender confused freaky dinosaur who has a ****** for a mouth and can shoot fireballs out of said mouth/******". While naming the top 10 women in video games, they also included the top three worst female characters, which included Birdo, saying that she is a "crossing dressing reptile-thing with a bow. I don't really know what she/he/it is, all I know is Birdo is super annoying to play against in Mario Party games. Morgan Webb of X-Play created a video titled "Birdo WTF", commenting that everyone initially thought of Birdo as a "cute little dinosaur". She also describes her as a very feminine male character if she really is a transsexual. Nintendo Power listed Birdo as one of three weirdos, citing her change from being male to being a love interest for Yoshi. They described her gender as one of life's biggest questions, commenting on how she shoots eggs out of her mouth as another oddity.IGN editor Lucas M. Thomas commented in his article about Yoshi that Birdo "almost worthy of a whole other article", stating that she is "the most gender-confused character in the history of Nintendo". He commented on the relationship Yoshi and Birdo formed in Mario Tennis, stating that "Yoshi is supposedly a male, but lays eggs like a female. Birdo is supposedly a female, but was originally called a male, much like Yoshi. And now the two of them are a romantic couple? They were both sexually chaotic as individuals -- this new pairing just made your head hurt thinking about it."

pikachumaster
01-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Birdo is pink. Only a true man wears pink. xD

I believe Birdo is female because she is paired up with Yoshi (we need to ship her with YYHD). And the bow.

TheTrainerExpert
01-03-2013, 11:57 PM
...Birdo is pink...KILL IT!! Anyways, I think Birdo is female, mostly cause of the bow and the evil pinkness.

megagamer
01-07-2013, 11:03 AM
I thought of her as female. Never crossed my mind as a male.

Ayra
01-07-2013, 04:21 PM
I see birdo as female, but not because it is pink. Im a pink yoshi, but i am male. Birdo, however, acts like a woman. For one, that stuff on her head. For two, the face. For three, her voice

Kyoits
01-11-2013, 12:44 AM
I think that it's transsexual.

Zekrom man
01-21-2013, 02:53 AM
I think birdo is female

Prospering
01-21-2013, 04:37 AM
Female because its voice kinda reminds me of a girl's voice.

Cutiepuffle
01-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Birdo's actually a boy who thinks he's a girl.

Sean
01-23-2013, 04:53 PM
I like to think Yoshi is boy, and birdo is girl

But then agian I was wrong about blue being a girl on blue's clues

Krauersaut
01-24-2013, 02:10 AM
Yoshi and Birdo were designed to be opposite genders, so as long as Yoshi hasn't turned ****, Birdo is FEMALE.

Cutiepuffle
01-24-2013, 02:15 AM
Yoshi and Birdo were designed to be opposite genders, so as long as Yoshi hasn't turned ****, Birdo is FEMALE.

The SMB2 Manual officially states Birdo's a boy.

http://shockingvideogamesecrets.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/fake-or-gay-yoshi-and-turok-20110427045604835.jpg

SuperSceptile
01-24-2013, 03:05 PM
I think yoshi likes her. Thats right, HER.

WillieMays
01-29-2013, 01:46 PM
It's a girl. Birdo seems like a female yoshi. How is it a boy.-_-

Cutiepuffle
01-29-2013, 08:38 PM
It's a girl. Birdo seems like a female yoshi. How is it a boy.-_-

It's a gender confused boy. It was stated in the SMB2 manual.

Reiko Asagiri
02-05-2013, 01:11 AM
I read the manual and it says that Birdo's a boy...so I'll go by the manual ^vv^

KingCorphish
02-26-2013, 01:26 AM
Female, Birdo is PINK and it wears a bow on its head! Unless Birdo is gay (which I don't think it is) It has to be a girl (and I'm not trying to offend anyone by using the term "gay" in this context, I'm just stating my opinion)

Cutiepuffle
02-26-2013, 01:29 AM
Female, Birdo is PINK and it wears a bow on its head! Unless Birdo is gay (which I don't think it is) It has to be a girl (and I'm not trying to offend anyone by using the term "gay" in this context, I'm just stating my opinion)

Not all gays dress like women. I think you mean transgender.

Pokemon Trainer N
04-01-2013, 02:40 AM
It may be a female because of it's coloring and bow but lets just call it safe and say birds is genderless

herothezero
04-06-2013, 02:28 PM
I think Birdo is a girl because I remember in Mario and Sonic 2012, Birdo will talk about Mario being "perfect" and will state "I think I'm falling in love..." So unless Nintendo is planning to introduce homosexuality to children (which I have no problem with, but some parents (especially in America) won't be too happy with that), I think that Birdo is a girl. Maybe they originally wanted Birdo to be a gender confused boy back in SMB2, but now they want Birdo to be a girl. Who knows, maybe Nintendo will give us the answer to this question one day.

Dragonite
04-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Birdo is clearly the same gender as ch33se.

PokeMasterRed
05-05-2013, 09:18 PM
I say female!

ShaymieTehShaymin
05-05-2013, 10:39 PM
I say that Birdo is both a boy and a girl. Like Spork from that movie.