PDA

View Full Version : My fingertips are freezing.

Zachgoose
01-15-2013, 07:23 AM
Why hello everyone. The News section has been rather deserted lately, so I'm making this post to alert users about current and upcoming changes to the forum. Most of you have started school back, so good luck with that. I hope you enjoyed your winter breaks!

1. Rep4Rep
It has come to my attention recently that users STILL are trying to abuse the reputation system. Honestly, it isn't that important, and it was implemented for community members to be fairly judged and rewarded for their merits. If it wasn't obvious enough, this is now an infractable offense. The SS Forum Rules have been updated to include this. I think that some of us may need to refer to SS's RULE #1.

2. The Battle Rankings
There's a good chance that these things are coming back in February, but I can't make any promises. All users, including staff, will have to apply, and user rank will not matter. There will likely be a cap of 15 players. Perhaps only the top 10 players will survive onto next month to keep it fresh. However, this might encourage cheating. The one thing I'm opposed with on the Battle Rankings still is that we have no way to prevent people from cheating. Back when it was only staff, we could expect people to be honest. I need feedback from you guys on how badly you want it back and what you think some of the rules should be.

3. The New Smilies
If you haven't noticed, nearly 200 emoticons were added to the forums in the past week. It's been quite obsessive and spammy. I would like to remind you that spamming emoticons is against the rules. They are only to be used sparingly. Additionally, if you think any of the emoticons should be removed, please post here

4. Profane Words
Similar to the emoticons, some users have still been cursing excessively. If you try to evade the censor in any way, you will get infracted. The censoring system isn't the best here, but please watch your language and use it in moderation. A word is censored for a reason. Yes, we can only see asterisks, but there are often better words to use. You may occasionally use a filtered word, but please do not have every other sentence filled with a profanity. Moderators will be more harsh on this from now on.

5. Spoilers
As always, please be careful on what you say. Spoilers are a serious crime (joking). You can't get infracted for this, but please be courteous of other users. Pokemon X and Y were recently announced, and many users want the game to be a new and fresh experience when they get it. If you post in a thread, make sure to use spoiler tags for new information. Also, be mindful of what you say on the chatbox when Dabottle any "sensitive" users are around.

6. Hit and Give
Err... We're kind of out of idea for this at the moment and we need a new one. If you have any suggestions, please post here. Bear in mind that at least 40% of the SS forums users should be able to understand the majority of the characters in the chosen series. We're not going to do something like a League of Legends Hit and Give because most of the forums just doesn't know who characters like Kog'Maw and Lux are.

7. Tournaments
Many users are complaining about the lack of tournaments, but we have trouble getting users to join them! For example, Uzi has sign ups for a Pokemon OU tournament here! (http://superskarmory.net/forum/showthread.php?3159-Ozzie-s-Obviously-Not-a-Scam-Tournament-2-2&p=96774#post96774) If you think you can join, then please do. The more the merrier! ^_^

8. Chat Clearing
I simply wanted to state that I will be clearing the chatbox on a weekly basis. It makes the archive and the chatbox itself operate more smoothly and quickly. If you have any messages you want to save on the chatbox, please copy paste it yourself. The Chatbox will be pruned on Mondays from here on out.

9. New Staff
We are potentially looking for new staff members. You are not allowed to ask, but please an active and helpful user if you would like to be considered! Remember, infractions and chatbox bans will NOT look good on your chances of wanting to be a moderator.

10. A Message to the General Community
Lastly, please remember to be nice to everyone. The forums are supposed to be an enjoyable experience, and we will not tolerate any sort of cyberbullying. Some users may not be as "experienced" as others, but that's no reason to make fun of them. Remember, you used to be as spammy/young/stupid as the people you're making fun of now! The Golden Rule, people!

Shaymin
01-15-2013, 07:47 AM
Hmm, perhaps these new announcements will cause more activity in the forums than normal, which is good. I feel as though these forums have been quite empty. I do think that new staff to put in place, bringing back the Battle Rankings and tournaments is a bit exciting too.

Minntul
01-15-2013, 08:10 AM
I've got blisters on these fingers!

Just a note that I'm personally going to have a lot of fun with the rep4rep infractions from now on.

Merga
01-15-2013, 12:05 PM
Just saying, the Donald Duck rofl smiley should be removed. It's too big, and people who spam it take up too much space in the chatbox, more space than other smilies. Also, I thought the rep4rep thing should have stopped a long time ago, I never knew that this was still a problem until now. People need to no that x4x anything does not work in any situation.

Oh yeah, and I think a Mother/Earthbound H&G would be a good idea.

Pokemon73
01-15-2013, 12:31 PM
All of these are good things: smilies removed and especially the battle rankings! I love the battle rankings and I would love to be apart of them

Rocket
01-15-2013, 12:31 PM
^

Take out Donald Duck smiley. Also, maybe take out the MJ smiley, it's big too.

Also, at Earthbound/Mother H&G also would be good too.

Sammiiee13
01-15-2013, 12:46 PM
I like the idea of battle ranking and tournaments. Although I don't have time to be in them but I enjoy seeing the outcomes of them.

I have a few suggestions for hit and give, if that's ok. If no one likes them or thinks they are suitable that is fine.
My suggestions are: Disney characters, Final Fantasy characters, Marvel Comic characters, and Lord of the rings/hobbit characters.

PsychoWolf
01-15-2013, 12:49 PM
Definitely the Donald Duck, that emoticon is the largest one in the chatbox.

BreeZaps
01-15-2013, 01:25 PM
Thank You for adding rule 11. Now Tim won't ask me for rep anymore. Been going on for months :/
I don't know why he got mad over me telling him that I can't do rep4rep yesterday but whatever.
Edit: For Hit and Give we should do girl forum members. =D

Zachgoose
01-15-2013, 02:27 PM
Welp, Donald is officially removed.

BreeZaps
01-15-2013, 02:37 PM
I got something to ask. If you get the rep4rep infraction how many points is that and how long does it last?

Tuxy
01-15-2013, 02:43 PM
If stuff actually happens and people are actually being nicer and less stupid again (I have hope, but it's very limited), I might even stay here after Survivor... We'll see.

1. Rep4Rep
It has come to my attention recently that users STILL are trying to abuse the reputation system. Honestly, it isn't that important, and it was implemented for community members to be fairly judged and rewarded for their merits. If it wasn't obvious enough, this is now an infractable offense. The SS Forum Rules have been updated to include this. I think that some of us may need to refer to SS's RULE #1.

If you ask me, about time. I have been guilty of this in the past and see it as the biggest mistake I have made in this community. There are certain members that still take reputation way too serious. Considering this is a forum of mostly 13-year-olds and younger, I would even suggest that only staff members are able to give reputation.

2. The Battle Rankings
There's a good chance that these things are coming back in February, but I can't make any promises. All users, including staff, will have to apply, and user rank will not matter. There will likely be a cap of 15 players. Perhaps only the top 10 players will survive onto next month to keep it fresh. However, this might encourage cheating. The one thing I'm opposed with on the Battle Rankings still is that we have no way to prevent people from cheating. Back when it was only staff, we could expect people to be honest. I need feedback from you guys on how badly you want it back and what you think some of the rules should be.

Making a screenshot of the dice page (in spoiler tags) may sound a little exaggerating, but it's probably the only possible way to prevent cheating. Having it back (with active members) though would definitely be a good idea to add some more live to this page.

5. Spoilers
As always, please be careful on what you say. Spoilers are a serious crime (joking). You can't get infracted for this, but please be courteous of other users. Pokemon X and Y were recently announced, and many users want the game to be a new and fresh experience when they get it. If you post in a thread, make sure to use spoiler tags for new information. Also, be mindful of what you say on the chatbox when Dabottle any "sensitive" users are around.

Does a "spoiler thread" like we had one of B/W2 still make sense?

6. Hit and Give
Err... We're kind of out of idea for this at the moment and we need a new one. If you have any suggestions, please post here. Bear in mind that at least 40% of the SS forums users should be able to understand the majority of the characters in the chosen series. We're not going to do something like a League of Legends Hit and Give because most of the forums just doesn't know who characters like Kog'Maw and Lux are.

We totally need a cookie H&G game. At least something that is more real-life related, not only video games, anime and movies. I may edit this post for better ideas later.

9. New Staff
We are potentially looking for new staff members. You are not allowed to ask, but please an active and helpful user if you would like to be considered! Remember, infractions and chatbox bans will NOT look good on your chances of wanting to be a moderator.

Please don't be stupid about this

Judge Mandolore Shepard
01-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Well the Donald Duck emoticon was the only one that I found to be too big. As for ideas for the next H&G, I agree with a Final Fantasy characters one, but limit it to the characters in the main series games. Course it could be done the way Dissidia does it where each of the games is represented by one or two characters from each game.

Flubbs
01-15-2013, 04:03 PM
Rep4rep is hilarious. I'll never understand why some people care so much about it to want to break a rule just to get more.

I also think bringing back the battle rankings would make things slightly more interesting here.

College sucks, btw.

xBlackthornWolfx
01-15-2013, 04:08 PM
People actually do rep4rep? lol

And I never really paid much attention to the Battle Rankings before, so if it's brought back maybe

Xerodragon12
01-15-2013, 04:38 PM
Although I have expressed interest in the Battle rankings before, at this point in time, I don't think I'll be joining in the actual rankings. However, if any of the combatants want to test their luck, I'm game.

Also, people still rep4rep?

BreeZaps
01-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Also, people still rep4rep?

http://i10.servimg.com/u/f10/17/87/26/56/this10.png

Dabottle
01-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Also, be mindful of what you say on the chatbox when Dabottle any "sensitive" users are around.

^_^

Kill these:
:trollface::dance::nick::sanic::nyan:

Welp, we're never getting FAIA EMBREM HIT AND GIVE.
Unless I can convince enough people to get Awakening. Hmm...

Thanks for the update, Sir Master Lord Emperor Zach! The Zachgoose Forums are coming along excellently!

Spitfire
01-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Quick everyone thank 4 thank before that gets removed too! Well show this staff loopholes! We must have all the thanks!

Dragonite
01-15-2013, 07:31 PM
Making a screenshot of the dice page (in spoiler tags) may sound a little exaggerating, but it's probably the only possible way to prevent cheating. Having it back (with active members) though would definitely be a good idea to add some more live to this page.

If someone really wanted to cheat, wouldn't they just keep spinning the dice until they get a favorable result, or just edit the screenshot in Photoshop or GIMP? People will probably try and do that unless you go and have a live competition over Skype or something, which sounds just as stupid.

2. But about the smilies, can we have an option to show/hide them all in the chatbox or something? I'm not a fan of any version of any site's smilies (cough cough FACEBOOK), I like my =D and =/ just the way they are. And then people do things like Psy and whatever that go and screw up the entire chatbox display.

3. Sometimes I go and type "****" (identical to the censor thing) or "(____)" on my own, if I want to make a point without trying the existing censor. I assume I ought to stop doing that.

X!!
01-15-2013, 07:33 PM
2. The Battle Rankings

I badly want the Battle Rankings back. They were funny, and full of sexy mofos fighting each other to the death for a slice of lemon. I miss the Battle Rankings. D:

4. Profane Words
Similar to the emoticons, some users have still been cursing excessively. If you try to evade the censor in any way, you will get infracted. The censoring system isn't the best here, but please watch your language and use it in moderation. A word is censored for a reason. Yes, we can only see asterisks, but there are often better words to use. You may occasionally use a filtered word, but please do not have every other sentence filled with a profanity. Moderators will be more harsh on this from now on.

Bull****. Darn it. I always have trouble with my 'language'. Meh. I'll try to do better.

5. Spoilers

Like I care for Dabottle's needs.

6. Hit and Give

What about a Mega Man HaG (Hit and Give)? I think Mega Man HaGs will be fun to do.

Lastly, please remember to be nice to everyone. The forums are supposed to be an enjoyable experience, and we will not tolerate any sort of cyberbullying. Some users may not be as "experienced" as others, but that's no reason to make fun of them. Remember, you used to be as spammy/young/stupid as the people you're making fun of now! The Golden Rule, people!

Another rule I have trouble with. Oh well...

The Arrow
01-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Finally, a news update! Thank you for taking your time to type all of that, Zach! I think this forum will actually become quite active now that more rules have been put in to place.

Uzi
01-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Remove all of the emoticons from this series. :highly_amused: They're all just ugly and have no use really. I'd say remove Dango too because no one uses that. Just small character facial expressions would be a lot better than all of these.

Luna
01-15-2013, 09:20 PM
counter strike guns
ubers had the right idea

I also love how the title would actually class as news here :p
Anyways, my thoughts on everything:

1. Rep4Rep
wait it's still may 2012?

2. The Battle Rankings
OH GOD YES PLEASE WHERE DO I SIGN UP

3. The New Smilies
If you haven't noticed, nearly 200 emoticons were added to the forums in the past week. It's been quite obsessive and spammy. I would like to remind you that spamming emoticons is against the rules. They are only to be used sparingly. Additionally, if you think any of the emoticons should be removed, please post here
I'm personally not having troubles with any emoticons... 'cept Donald Duck

4. Profane Words
oh noes bad words
OK seriously, I promise I'll stop asterisking.

5. Spoilers
I recommend you make a Pokémon X and Y spoiler thread if you haven't as of me typing this. Like you did with W2/B2

6. Hit and Give
I can't think of anything we could do. Guess steam games could be an option, as a lot of us do have steam.

7. Tournaments
Many users are complaining about the lack of tournaments, but we have trouble getting users to join them! For example, Uzi has sign ups for a Pokemon OU tournament here! (http://superskarmory.net/forum/showthread.php?2976-Ozzie-s-Obviously-Not-a-Scam-Tournament-Series-2-1) If you think you can join, then please do. The more the merrier! ^_^
meh tourneys. I honestly don't care for them, but that's just me

8. Chat Clearing
I simply wanted to state that I will be clearing the chatbox on a weekly basis. It makes the archive and the chatbox itself operate more smoothly and quickly. If you have any messages you want to save on the chatbox, please copy paste it yourself. The Chatbox will be pruned on Mondays from here on out.
Good idea I guess. It also removes 90% of the stupidity, once a week!

9. New Staff
When you get a new staff member, please, for the love of god, make a news thread about it. I found out about Mental's moderation about 2 days after he became one, and it's news anyway so I don't see why we can't make a thread about it

Yeah... its seems a bit hypocritical of us now that I think about it... I'll try to be a bit kinder to people like Pokemon73.

Dabottle
01-15-2013, 09:25 PM
Silly Phoenix! There wasn't a forum in May 2012!

DeMrTeunio
01-15-2013, 09:40 PM
I was actually going to leave, just like Tux, but I'm staying at least a while longer now. I'm interested to see if people are actually going to change their behaviour now.

newsupermariobros
01-15-2013, 09:42 PM
It's great to hear that the battle rankings are back.These are also good rules for the site and people have well...IGNORED THEM.

Flubbs
01-15-2013, 09:47 PM
Remove all of the emoticons from this series. :highly_amused: They're all just ugly and have no use really. I'd say remove Dango too because no one uses that. Just small character facial expressions would be a lot better than all of these.

you mean remove anything that's not :cool: right?

Oh yeah, and I think that a Final Fantasy Hit and Give would be a wonderful idea.

Zachgoose
01-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Quick everyone thank 4 thank before that gets removed too! Well show this staff loopholes! We must have all the thanks!

I miss on the first day when "likes" gave 1 reputation. Naturally, people were going into the "Count to 10" thread and liking every single post.

HoennTrainerRuby
01-16-2013, 12:10 AM
This forum seems safer and more fun with all this implemented. :D

Pokemon Trainer N
01-16-2013, 12:21 AM
Those battle rankings I loved them ha so funny I hope we do bring those back. As for the cheating think if they do and someone finds out they should like pm some people we could put in charge of that stuff

LovelyOshawott
01-16-2013, 01:05 AM
We did need an update on the news.

Umbrony
01-17-2013, 12:39 AM
Rep for rep was finally handled. Thank god, I'm free.

sonriopoby123
01-17-2013, 04:17 AM
Looks like everything's been taken care of. Thanks.

>infractions will NOT look good
>NOT LOOK GOOD

D:

One Word: Uzi

EDIT: SPONGEBOB HIT AND GIVE EVERYONE

#BELIEVE

X!!
01-17-2013, 04:25 AM
One Word: Uzi

*Red. >_<.

Kyoits
01-17-2013, 05:15 AM
Rep for rep was finally handled. Thank god, I'm free.

wow is this place really still going? wait for realzy? i can edit post from back in the day

Zachgoose
01-17-2013, 12:50 PM
Just wanted to add that I have rebuilt the censoring system entirely. Special thanks to Ubers for randomly encouraging me to do it. It should function better now:

Charles Dickens ****
Cofagrigus ***

If there are any words I missed or anything that SHOULDNT be censored that is, please let me know.

I also did some behind the scenes work on the searching function of the forums, so it should function a bit more seamlessly now.

Luna
01-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Just wanted to add that I have rebuilt the censoring system entirely. Special thanks to Ubers for randomly encouraging me to do it. It should function better now:

Charles Dickens ****
Cofagrigus ***

If there are any words I missed or anything that SHOULDNT be censored that is, please let me know.

I also did some behind the scenes work on the searching function of the forums, so it should function a bit more seamlessly now.

S****** ******
kthx

Dragonite
01-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Thanks, I can now talk about Cof@grigus and Frosl@ss without cursing now. Let's see how long it takes me to get used to that.

sonriopoby123
01-19-2013, 01:45 AM
Wait.

Froslass was censored?
Wow.

Thanks Zach. Now it's not funny anymore.

Zekrom man
01-22-2013, 06:03 PM
Please make a SSBB tournament.