PDA

View Full Version : Deoxys-D is banned

UbersSuck20
02-13-2013, 06:31 PM
BW OU Suspect Testing Round 10 - Punk Hazard (http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3478726)

The title says it all. Deoxys-D is being suspect tested. Do you think it's too powerful for OU?

Dragonite
02-13-2013, 07:25 PM
One the one hand, I think this has mostly (but not entirely) to do with the Nasty Plot that they gave out in Japan, and I don't think something should be banned because of an event that most people weren't able to get.

(For those who don't know, Nasty Plot takes Deoxys D's decent SpA, beats it up, and leaves behind something with fantastic defenses and a very good Attack stat.)

On the other hand, the things still has quite a versatile/annoying moveset already, and could probably hold its own in Uber without Nasty Plot. I've never used or run against one, so I wouldn't know.

tl;dr I really don't know.

Pokemon73
02-13-2013, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't care one bit :)

CChariz
02-13-2013, 11:10 PM
That would have one less pokemon that has amazing utility to worry about.But since I've never used it,I'm not so sure.But seeing that it can,usually,set up one layer of spikes and stealth rock or two layers of spikes.And run a whole variety of sets to counter some of it's usual counters.Then I won't be surprised if it does get banned.

Kyoits
02-13-2013, 11:41 PM
the world is gonna end and we're all gonna die

Weavile
02-13-2013, 11:44 PM
Well it's pretty much a guaranteed two hazards, (but then again Crustle is too) but it doesn't serve much of any purpose besides that. It's very easily handled by a strong attacker, and can be easily predicted. I don't see much of a reason for it, but crippling stupid hyper offense teams is always a plus.

Uzi
02-14-2013, 06:53 AM
the thing with crustle vs deoxys-d is that deoxys-d is just better overall due to it's defenses, and utility due to being able to run magic coat and set up two layers of hazards. crustle requires and /item/ to do that while deoxys-d will just sponge the hits. giving deoxys-d a custap berry allows it to get three!!!!

better nerf irelia.

Weavile
02-15-2013, 02:12 AM
Naw, I rarely see a Deoxys-D that doesn't get 2HKO'd in my experience. And it was just a comparative thing. It's like when people say "Why use Hydro Pump as a Water STAB, Bubblebeam has higher accuracy AND lowers the opponents speed." We all know that that's a stupid thing to say, but there is a point to it.

Gazzbonazza10
02-15-2013, 02:28 AM
may I ask are you refering to a game or card-based rules-set?

either or doesn't matter to me, just might help me make sense of the converstation

Uzi
02-15-2013, 04:08 PM
ya, i get that but it always gets up 2 layers guaranteed. i'd have a lot of trouble picking between it and froslass, since lass gets d-bond and deoxys-d gets to be best type NA.

Krauersaut
02-15-2013, 06:31 PM
That would make me sad, as I enjoy using Deoxys as my lead on teams. :(

UbersSuck20
02-28-2013, 07:16 AM
UPDATE

Deoxys-D has been banned!

It received a 59.34% majority, with 37 votes for OU and 54 votes for Uber. (http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3479623)

Krauersaut
02-28-2013, 02:43 PM
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

*goes and cries in corner* Goddammit. :L

ShadowMudkip
02-28-2013, 03:10 PM
Deoxys-D isn't that OP. There are a lot of easy ways to counter it. It's only problem is that it can take too many hits and by the time you've worked it down it's already set up and uses it's sitrus berry or blissey heals it. But if you taunt it and then encore, or entry hazard then whirl wind you would be fine. Also having Special Walls and dual screens are useful. One strategy is to use this:

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Trait: Cursed Body
252 Spe/ 252 SpA (You really don't need anything since all you're going to use is support moves)
Hasty Nature/ Timid Nature (Anything that raises Spe but doesn't lower Atk)
- Protect
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Spikes (Or attack of your choice)

One of two stratedgies:
1. Froslass sets up spikes/ taunt
2. Froslass sets up spikes, UNLESS it is down to 1 HP and used the focus sash
3. Froslass uses protect to make sure the opposing pokemon will attack, and making sure the correct one (Deoxeys-D) is trying to finish
4. Froslass uses Destiny Bond after making check. The check is unnecessary if you used taunt already.

Another thing you could do if the Deoxys-D uses attack moves is

Hitmontop @ Focus Sash
Trait: Intimidate
252 Spe/ 252 Atk (These evs don't matter either, it's just important to have high speed)
Hasty (Still doesn't matter, just raise speed)
- Detect
- Endeavor
- Rapid Spin
- Quick Attack/ Mach Punch

You first use Detect, and see what Deoxys-D will do. If it sets up spikes, obviously you use Rapid Spin. If it decides to try and attack you, use Endeavor on the 2nd turn. That brings it into an easy KO with your priority moves. Because of your focus sash, deoxys-d has 1 hp, so with priority you can KO it. You can also switch out hitmontop to get the intimidate effect again on deoxys.

Dragonite
02-28-2013, 07:43 PM
Deoxys-D isn't that OP. There are a lot of easy ways to counter it. It's only problem is that it can take too many hits and by the time you've worked it down it's already set up and uses it's sitrus berry or blissey heals it. But if you taunt it and then encore, or entry hazard then whirl wind you would be fine. Also having Special Walls and dual screens are useful. One strategy is to use this: {see post above me}

There are counters, yes; there are counters to everything. But even the defensive form of Deoxys is reasonably fast and will probably Taunt anything that isn't faster than it and turn the tables completely. Some people - like me - don't especially like Froslass or Hitmontop or carrying something whose main purpose is to counter one single Pokemon.

Additionally, when Deoxys-D is finished with its Taunting and Spiking, it can go to town with Seismic Tosses or Counter/Mirror Coat or the fancy Nasty Plot it got over the summer. While the opponent is saddled with the task of chipping away at its reasonable HP and 400+ defenses.

UbersSuck20
03-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Deoxys-D isn't that OP. There are a lot of easy ways to counter it. It's only problem is that it can take too many hits and by the time you've worked it down it's already set up and uses it's sitrus berry or blissey heals it. But if you taunt it and then encore, or entry hazard then whirl wind you would be fine. Also having Special Walls and dual screens are useful. One strategy is to use this:

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Trait: Cursed Body
252 Spe/ 252 SpA (You really don't need anything since all you're going to use is support moves)
Hasty Nature/ Timid Nature (Anything that raises Spe but doesn't lower Atk)
- Protect
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Spikes (Or attack of your choice)

One of two stratedgies:
1. Froslass sets up spikes/ taunt
2. Froslass sets up spikes, UNLESS it is down to 1 HP and used the focus sash
3. Froslass uses protect to make sure the opposing pokemon will attack, and making sure the correct one (Deoxeys-D) is trying to finish
4. Froslass uses Destiny Bond after making check. The check is unnecessary if you used taunt already.

Another thing you could do if the Deoxys-D uses attack moves is

Hitmontop @ Focus Sash
Trait: Intimidate
252 Spe/ 252 Atk (These evs don't matter either, it's just important to have high speed)
Hasty (Still doesn't matter, just raise speed)
- Detect
- Endeavor
- Rapid Spin
- Quick Attack/ Mach Punch

You first use Detect, and see what Deoxys-D will do. If it sets up spikes, obviously you use Rapid Spin. If it decides to try and attack you, use Endeavor on the 2nd turn. That brings it into an easy KO with your priority moves. Because of your focus sash, deoxys-d has 1 hp, so with priority you can KO it. You can also switch out hitmontop to get the intimidate effect again on deoxys.

If Deoxys-D has Jellicent or any other ghost-type as its partner, those plans can backfire. I've used the Deoxys-D + Cofagrigus duo and it kicked some real tail.
Plus Froslass and Hitmontop are UU, which means Deoxys-D really overcentralizes the OU tier.

sonriopoby123
03-02-2013, 02:46 AM
AHAHAHA GET READY FOR ALL POWERFUL UBER DEOXYS-D FUFUFUFUFUFUFU

tis a shame

BreeZaps
03-02-2013, 04:34 AM
UPDATE

Deoxys-D has been banned!

It received a 59.34% majority, with 37 votes for OU and 54 votes for Uber. (http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3479623)

WHY DID THIS HAPPEN ON MY BIRTHDAY
/caps

Pokemon73
03-02-2013, 04:59 AM
Do you think I should really care about this?

Cutiepuffle
03-02-2013, 05:13 AM
Do you think I should really care about this?

If you don't care, then don't post.

Pokemon Trainer N
03-09-2013, 11:21 PM
1 less threat to worry about.

Zachgoose
03-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Meh. If a Pokemon is just so useful that it should be included on almost every team, it's definitely worth banning.

Like, I had no problems facing Pokemon like Genesect, Excadrill, and Thundurus. But I guess ultimately they were deemed too staple to teams.