PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of the "Too long, too short, too common" filter in search.

EpicCh33se
03-10-2013, 11:56 PM
It is really important to use the search bar to track down duplicate threads. However, sometimes, the site keeps you from searching if the terms you use are too "long, short, or common". I was going to check to see if a thread was a duplicate today, so I typed in "above". It wouldn't let me search because it was "too common". Typing in "Pokemon" and searching through more than 5 pages of results is time consuming. So if it doesn't hurt much, can the filter please be removed?

Rocket
03-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Personally, I would like this removed as well.

herothezero
03-11-2013, 12:48 AM
I second this thought. That should be removed.

Dragonite
03-11-2013, 01:08 AM
We had a filter for this?

That's like Google rejecting the term "flower" because it generates 731 million results. People should search something more specific than "Pokemon" to check for duplicate threads anyway, if they don't, it's their own bloody fault. We don't need a filter.

Zachgoose
03-11-2013, 03:45 PM
There are several reasons why it is there. Searching is one of the most server intensive processes on the forum, which was why a few months ago I was even iffy on removing the captcha entering on searches. If you searched for a short or common term, like "a", you would get tens of thousands of post results. It may be a bit time consuming, but it's just too much of a risk and can be exploited if we allow more common and short words to be searched. We are not a massive and dedicated search engine like Google, but rather a small forum with searching as an option.

I apologize about that, but the server already goes under strain with our current usage. >.<