PDA

View Full Version : Oshawott Ev training

Jroe7
04-28-2013, 06:58 PM
I just bought a DS and Pokemon White with it. I choose Oshawoot and killed Snivy and Tepig when you have your first battle with Cheren and Bianca. I was wondering if I already messed up his ev training. And if I didn't what would you recommend I ev train him with, I'm new to ev training so anything helps, thank you!

Dragonite
04-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Given the order of events in the beginning of Pokemon games, it's impossible to EV train anything unless the EVs you're looking for are given by (at the very minimum) your two rivals' starters and all required battles until you have access to Poke balls, since you can't proceed through the game without fighting them and there is no way to forgo the EVs.

The smart thing to do would be to beat the E4 so that you have access to the entire Unova region, breed the Pokemon you want so they have a really good nature and Hidden Power and then start your EV training.

You can also get yourself a few EV reducing berries. You can get them from the Dream World or (in Black 2 and White 2) Join Avenue and the Tower/Tree Hollow challenges.

PS, effort values are about as useful as nothing in-game. The extra stat points they give you at lower levels are practically nonexistant after all the other numbers (level, move power, etc.) are crunched in battles.

Jroe7
04-28-2013, 07:08 PM
So what I did is I got a Lilipup and I have just been using him and Pidove only. I was planning on not using Oshawatt until I could ev train him. But your telling me I can't?

Dragonite
04-28-2013, 07:14 PM
You can, but it's so tedious I don't think you'll want to do it anymore after a few gyms.

If you have Pokemon only fighting certain other Pokemon for EVs, you will also want to have an extra party member or two to take care of all opponents who don't give the desired EV spread. Say you have Lillipup fighting only Pidove, Timburr and other Pokemon that give physical Attack EVs and a Roggenrola fighting only Audino, Munna and Crustle for HP and Defense EVs; what do you do when you face a required Trainer/Gym Leader who has something unaccounted for like a Woobat or Litwik, who gives a different spread? You'll need someone else to come in and reliably sponge stray EVs like that (and probably a backup, in case they get KO'd.)

Jroe7
04-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Ok. That makes sense, but what if I just put my Oshawott in the PC until I have beat the E4. Would that work? Or are the 2 EV's I got from killing one Tepig and One Snivy already ruined my Oshawott? He is sassy nature but I don't know If that's good. I'm a noob so thanks for the help.

Dragonite
04-28-2013, 07:24 PM
He still has the EVs from Tepig and Snivy. You can delete them by using EV reducing berries later.
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Effort_Value#Generation_III

All you need to know about natures can be found on Smogon.

smogon.com/bw/pokemon/oshawott
smogon.com/bw/pokemon/dewott
smogon.com/bw/pokemon/samurott