Cutiepuffle
05-05-2013, 03:39 PM
It should be lowered down to 5 minimum.

Pokemon73
05-05-2013, 03:46 PM
No, I think a 10 character minimum is good

Dabottle
05-05-2013, 03:47 PM
It does nothing to prevent spam. If you're going to suggest lowering it, just remove it entirely. Unless I'm ignorant of some function like stopping bots in some way or something.

Ayra
05-05-2013, 04:38 PM
It does nothing to prevent spam. Bots are using more than 10 characters in their posts these days, and a spamful human can easily extend their posts past ten characters when notified. Get rid of this.

Dragonite
05-05-2013, 04:42 PM
If someone wants to bypass the character limit, all they have to do is

/10characters

or place a bunch of spaces between to other characters

. .

anyway. The limit doesn't actually do anything.

Minntul
05-06-2013, 11:53 AM
nah .

Judge Mandolore Shepard
05-06-2013, 01:53 PM
The ten character limit is fine as it is. It does not need to be lowered.

Zachgoose
05-06-2013, 04:58 PM
The ten character limit is fine as it is. It does not need to be lowered.

This. I think that if it's any shorter, people could make posts that just say "hello". If you have to use less than 10 characters for some reason, use one of Dragonite's methods.

Personally, what I do is post a smiley face or something.

Hello :cool:

Dabottle
05-06-2013, 05:05 PM
But people can just make posts that say "hello" anyway. The limit doesn't actually stop anything, it just inconveniences people.
It also won't increase the rate of spam, because flood control exists.

Zachgoose
05-06-2013, 05:11 PM
It's inconvenient, yes. But remember the days of Melchoir. Glorious as they were, I don't want the forum being spammed with posts like:

Topic: Do you like the new 6th gen starters?
"yes"

Topic: I am new to this FORUM!!!!
"hi"

Topic: Please rate and fix my OU team.
"6/10"

The limit can be annoying, but we want to encourage a good community and keep the forum more tidy.

Dabottle
05-06-2013, 05:14 PM
If you can truly seeing it making a difference to the quality of posts, then keep it this way. People will still spam, but if you think that that would cause more spam, then I guess it's fine the way it is.

Zachgoose
05-06-2013, 05:23 PM
ty .

Ice
05-06-2013, 05:28 PM
It's inconvenient, yes. But remember the days of Melchoir. Glorious as they were, I don't want the forum being spammed with posts like:

Topic: Do you like the new 6th gen starters?
"yes"

Topic: I am new to this FORUM!!!!
"hi"

Topic: Please rate and fix my OU team.
"6/10"

The limit can be annoying, but we want to encourage a good community and keep the forum more tidy.
Funnily enough the 10 char limit would do nothing to stop Melchior's posting considering half of his posts were some form of "nice ideal".

SilkShadow
05-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Honestly a character limit doesn't stop users who are familiar with the forum, but it would stop useless posts from new users who don't know any better, remining them that thier posts must add some value to the discussion.

Ayra
05-07-2013, 06:27 AM
How about removing it upon reaching a certain rank, so that it only becomes available once the user knows how to make thoughtful posts while contributing to the discussion. This also appears to be a good idea because it allows worthy users to have valuable VM conversations without dealing with bloody "reminders" to throw in a few spamful and/or unnecessary characters.

Cutiepuffle
05-08-2013, 01:01 AM
Yoshi, your meatatarian speech may have been stupid, but that is a genius idea.

Bricktoad
05-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Everybody posting in this thread has obviously forgotten about Pokemon73.
Edit: and all others under the influence of the Count to 10 thread.

Dabottle
05-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Everybody posting in this thread has obviously forgotten about Pokemon73.
Edit: and all others under the influence of the Count to 10 thread.

I can't tell which side you're on, but the forum games are one of the biggest reasons as to why people are arguing for this to be shortened/removed. It's annoying to have to waste time when you could just post something short.

Bricktoad
05-09-2013, 07:16 PM
I can't tell which side you're on
Whoops, I should have specified. I'm against.
Surprise surprise

XpL
05-10-2013, 07:46 PM
The idea that each post has to be an intellectual and interesting collection of words borderline thesis level is absurd, and only a deluded idiot could hold such a view.

Me, 2010 for example...

Good moderation should reach each post individually, checking to see if it contributes to the flow of discussion in the thread.

Word count as a means of indicating spam is an outdated and lazy approach to proper moderation.

Besides, this would mean the death of "10char", and that's just too depressing to think about.

sonriopoby123
05-10-2013, 11:37 PM
I personally don't seem to have a problem with the limit. The only time I would ever use less than 10 characters is in a forum game, and even then it's not hard to just spam a little more characters. It is a Spamming section, so just do something like cuuirdcfcygdvfjhbf

Yoshi's idea, however, does seem well enough to work. But of course there's going to be the occasional newbie that just posts "hi everyone" in a thread to gain posts, but we've dealt with that before.