PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Content ID Claim (Walkthroughs/Let's Play's Affected)

ValuableVictini
05-17-2013, 01:10 AM
Nintendo decided that because they are losing money, they are Content IDing videos on Youtube that are longer than 10 minutes, containing Nintendo-made character games, like Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, etc. This means, any video falling under that category, Nintendo gets the money for it. This affects bigger let's players, including SuperSkarmory(if he decides to do Super Mario or Zelda again). However, Nintendo-licensed games like Pokemon are from what we know, unaffected. Leave your comments about this here.

Dragonite
05-17-2013, 01:14 AM
I learned of this on another forum a few hours ago. Going to just copy/paste what I said there.

I've noticed some weird stuff with ads/copyright on a few of my video games recently, but had no idea why. But this?

As part of our on-going push to ensure Nintendo content is shared across social media channels in an appropriate and safe way, we became a YouTube partner and as such in February 2013 we registered our copyright content in the YouTube database. For most fan videos this will not result in any changes, however, for those videos featuring Nintendo-owned content, such as images or audio of a certain length, adverts will now appear at the beginning, next to or at the end of the clips. We continually want our fans to enjoy sharing Nintendo content on YouTube, and that is why, unlike other entertainment companies, we have chosen not to block people using our intellectual property.
Dear Nintendo. Sharing your content on social media != claiming videos based on them. Those two statements are opposites of each other.
I have two words: "Okami" and "Chuggaaconroy." And here are many other examples that I'm not the most familiar with, like the ones that Pie (user who posted the OP at Socialblade (http://forums.socialblade.com/threads/758-Nintendo-Claiming-Let-s-Plays-on-Nintendo-Games)) mentioned.

Ayra
05-17-2013, 02:05 AM
If I read Dragonite's quote of Nintendo correctly, it states that Nintendo will not block use the sharing of videos containing Nintendo-based content. However, people will no longer profit from producing such videos. As for me, I really don't care, because people can still freely make their videos, And the monetization issue also fails to molest me, since I have e never profited from my videos in the first place. However, if big Let's Players end up being disturbed by the suppression of profit and stop producing videos, I might consider being ****ed.

Dabottle
05-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Before you all go to arms calling Nintendo evil and whatnot, please remember that Nintendo don't benefit as much from LPs as other companies. Everybody already knows about their games and some people might watch videos rather than buying them. With other LPs, the LPer(s) is/are often exposing his/her/their audience to new games that they may not have heard of, but everyone knows about Mario and Zelda

Anyway, I agree that this isn't a good decision. It looks like it may have been YT's idea, but either way, I don't think Nintendo should have done it. There has been enormous backlash already and I'm interested to see how things turn out.

However, if you're an LPer and aren't in the position of only being able to continue LPing because the money is an excuse for you to spend time at it, then you really shouldn't stop making videos. So far, there haven't been any strikes, so it's not actually hurting your channel. LPing should primarily be for fun and I hope this doesn't change too much, but also hope that it doesn't **** certain people over.

LuckyLapras
05-17-2013, 03:52 PM
>adverts will now appear
Sometimes, I feel people don't care about the people actually viewing the videos. This doesn't just affect the makers (unless you're using mobile YT)

Dabottle
05-17-2013, 03:58 PM
>adverts will now appear
Sometimes, I feel people don't care about the people actually viewing the videos. This doesn't just affect the makers (unless you're using mobile YT)

Ads are a part of life. You really shouldn't complain about a thirty second ad before a thirty minute video. On television you get like four minutes of ads for every eleven minutes of content. Ads keep the Internet alive. Most sites get a good portion of their revenue from ads. And you're acting like there weren't ads before. Sure, they're going to add them to more videos if this succeeds, but it's an incentive to skip them if anything. I always watch ads so as to give the content creators money, but if it's going to a company that has more than enough money and that I already purchase plenty of games from, I'm not going to care about the small amount of revenue I could be giving them.

BreeZaps
05-17-2013, 05:14 PM
so it's not actually hurting your channel.

http://s15.postimg.org/fgry9pknv/faaaaaaaaaaaa.png
It CAN hurt your channel from what I see.

Dabottle
05-17-2013, 05:29 PM
http://s15.postimg.org/fgry9pknv/faaaaaaaaaaaa.png
It CAN hurt your channel from what I see.

"If a video is blocked".
They have explicitly stated that they are not blocking videos.

BreeZaps
05-17-2013, 05:44 PM
"If a video is blocked".
They have explicitly stated that they are not blocking videos.

Ahh ok. Sorry about that.

sonriopoby123
05-18-2013, 12:53 AM
Just more advertising, not exactly horrible. Now, if they were deleting videos, I would be outraged.

But they're not. So I'm not exactly worried.

Rocket
05-30-2013, 12:05 AM
It annoys me a little, but doesnt really affect me. But, i'm interested how big LPers like SS and Chuggaa will be affected.

Glace
05-30-2013, 12:24 AM
I find it interesting. It makes me wonder how big LPers would react/do/say about it.