PDA

View Full Version : Postcount suggestion

Ayra
05-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Personally, I believe the "Meet the Members" section should not contribute to post count. Why? Because it offers no actual discussion, which is what post count should be rewarding. Rather, it is a place for people to ask pointless questions and some how gain post count (I actually admit to this, btw). People really don't deserve to be rewarded for repeatedly asking meaningless questions. The reason PFG doesn't give post count is because of the nature of having to post repeatedly for mere entertainment, and this has echoed into MtM.

Any thoughts?

BreeZaps
05-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Yes but then no one will post in there and it will be left to die.

Ferrospike
05-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Yes but then no one will post in there and it will be left to die.

People said that with the Roleplaying section when it stopped counting for your post count. Now that section is third in number of post.

Patriot
05-29-2013, 03:16 PM
People said that with the Roleplaying section when it stopped counting for your post count. Now that section is third in number of post.

Amen.

Last time I checked, the Forum Games section isn't dead either.

sonriopoby123
05-29-2013, 03:18 PM
I do actually agree with this. Although it my decline my post count, I have no problems with it being not counted as post, and it would be nice to post in other sections as well, so that the whole forum is active, not just one section.

Dabottle
05-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Please, Amir! Then I can be first to get Ruby!

Also it's bad and whatnot.

Luna
05-29-2013, 03:25 PM
no because then i wont be Technical!Crystal anymore
But seriously, yes. It really is unneeded, and I'm pretty sure Zach said that he was going to do this anyway.

Minntul
05-29-2013, 03:47 PM
i like to think people are interested in me enough to just ask me questions and not do it for the post count

i like to think

Patriot
05-29-2013, 04:16 PM
i like to think people are interested in me enough to just ask me questions and not do it for the post count

Sorry mental, your life is a lie.

Zachgoose
05-29-2013, 04:27 PM
I'd prefer to keep post count in Meet the Members. It hasn't been abused, and similar to the Battle Rankings, it can be very time consuming to answer a slew of questions (I'm looking at the people like X, Bree, and Cynthia who have made me answer 50+ questions).

A good number of the AMAs are currently dead with the topic creator being the last poster in a topic. Plus, there's nothing wrong with gaining post count. Many users are having enough trouble unlocking ranks as it is. Plus, some users are mainly active on the chatbox. They should have a way to expand their posts if they need to while still benefiting the community in a positive way by helping people gain better understandings of one another. It's one thing with pointless forum games where you get a post for saying "8! sdafasasdfasd," but I like the section as a whole.

So I think it's probably best to keep the post count in Meet the Members.

BreeZaps
05-29-2013, 05:12 PM
I could have not said it better, Zach. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Shantae
05-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Although, this is not a 'serious issue'. For now, no.

But for people who is asking 1 stupid pointless question in someones AMA thread regarding you're NOT actually posting an actual/serious question is considered a spam in my books. If this goes into a problem. Maybe my suggestion is we should re-edit the Meet the Members rules that requires all users to post minimum of 3 questions to an particular user AMA thread to lessen the spam of people posting 1-2 stupid/pointless questions.

Currently, there no need to worry about this issue. I would not consider Meet the Members section to disable as post count. From what Zach's post said.

Dragonite
05-29-2013, 08:28 PM
But looking back at my AMA, the reason I went and locked it was because the last 2 or 3 pages were filled with mostly spam/stupid/pointless/annoying messages that didn't contain any real though. Same goes for about 90% of the stuff I post in Togekiss' AMA.

Ayra
05-29-2013, 10:54 PM
I'd prefer to keep post count in Meet the Members. It hasn't been abused, and similar to the Battle Rankings, it can be very time consuming to answer a slew of questions (I'm looking at the people like X, Bree, and Cynthia who have made me answer 50+ questions).

A good number of the AMAs are currently dead with the topic creator being the last poster in a topic. Plus, there's nothing wrong with gaining post count. Many users are having enough trouble unlocking ranks as it is. Plus, some users are mainly active on the chatbox. They should have a way to expand their posts if they need to while still benefiting the community in a positive way by helping people gain better understandings of one another. It' one thing with pointless forum games where you get a post for saying "8! sdafasasdfasd," but I like the section as a whole.
Only problem with that arguement is that AMA threads really don't help people to know more about one another. Rather, most questions are dumb, forgot about within a few days after being answered, and overall not questions that people ask to get to know eachother. Because, looking into it, when people want to get to know another member, they usually have a legitimate conversation via VM rather than posting in each other's AMA thread. This is evidenced by thae fact that Dragonite and Dabottle locked their threads due to meaningless, one-dimensional questions.

UbersSuck20
07-30-2013, 06:58 PM
I actually agree with this in a way. Posts like these = spam...

May I execute those bunnies?

Yoshi can you bloody stop asking stupid questions seriously. Is that really necessary for you?

can we sleep together tomorrow?!?!?!? i have break off from work husbandy.
Like you're not asking stupid questions, PZ.

Hiii

I have some questions for you because I know how much you enjoy missing me being online.

1. How is your day going?
2. How is Melo?
3. How much of a moron is YYHD?
4. How often do you wish he should be banned for AmA?
5. Do you ever wish he would just shut up, stop being an ******* and act appropriately for once instead of being a complete idiot?
6. Do you like my post?!?!?!?!?!? I knew how much it would mean to you to post in it since you keep mentioning posts~ ;3

...and should not contribute to the post count. Likewise, posts like "Favorite food?" or "Favorite Normal-type Pokemon?" or "Your favorite anime?" are ok, so they should contribute to your post count. Sure, it's harder to achieve a rank, but ranks mean jack ****.

Merga
07-30-2013, 07:35 PM
I want the battle ranking's posts to not count towards post count. Nobody is creative anymore, it's just short posts with numbers. Plus the participant's post count are way too high.

Shantae
07-30-2013, 08:00 PM
@Ubers - You know I'm not the only one that made one stupid question. Other users did this too.

I want the battle ranking's posts to not count towards post count. Nobody is creative anymore, it's just short posts with numbers. Plus the participant's post count are way too high.

I agree this suggestion. When I participate this month Battle Rankings. I've intend to be creative as I possibly can, but for now since people battling with just damage and HP count. You know that's shows people aren't pulling more effort and creativity in the battles. Like, it's just only writing 3-4 sentences and it's suppose like a mini-RP battle. Overall it caused the battles boring as hell and it's like having a freebie post count for no reason.

Remember I made a suggestion about Roleplay section posts should not be counted towards post count? That situation kinda happens along Battle Rankings.

UbersSuck20
07-31-2013, 06:09 PM
I don't really agree with Battle Rankings not counting towards post count, since you need to apply in order to participate in those rankings, and there aren't that many spots.

And yes, PZ, I know everybody asks stupid questions. :D

Sean
07-31-2013, 11:23 PM
I would like to make the Meet the Members threads not count towards posts aswell, as people seem to abuse it.

Dragonite
08-25-2013, 02:08 AM
because Yoshi is no fun

There's more substance in Count to Ten than what I (and a couple others) generally post in peoples' AMAs these days. Yes, every active member will probably lose between 50 and 200 posts, but . . . still.

A good number of the AMAs are currently dead with the topic creator being the last poster in a topic. Plus, there's nothing wrong with gaining post count. Many users are having enough trouble unlocking ranks as it is. Plus, some users are mainly active on the chatbox. They should have a way to expand their posts if they need to while still benefiting the community in a positive way by helping people gain better understandings of one another. It's one thing with pointless forum games where you get a post for saying "8! sdafasasdfasd," but I like the section as a whole.

Zachgoose, that may be true for some people, but that really doesn't represent about 80% of the category.

A fine example: http://superskarmory.net/forum/showt...515#post145515

(Sorry for singling Togekiss out.)

Ayra
08-25-2013, 02:26 AM
Okay, so when FFQ got moved, was it still used. This proves that the lot of us active members hardly give a damn about post count and simply post to have fun. In addition, a certain member with nearly three thousand posts continuosly states that post count means nothing to him. And i think it is the same for most active members with high post count, but correct me if i am wrong.

Tl;dr: since none of us give a **** about post count, can we end the madness and make MTM not contribute to post count?

Dabottle
08-25-2013, 02:35 AM
The problem with your argument is that if we don't care about postcount, why does it matter?
It matters because people are spamming just to up their postcount and the spam is the problem. Also, this allows them to cheat the ranking system. While that really isn't a way to judge a member, it's still there and cheating it isn't fair.

Luna
08-25-2013, 02:50 AM
I have a better idea.
Remove any significance post count had and let it just be a number on your profile.

Kamex
08-25-2013, 03:37 AM
The only reason so many people are spamming up the MTM section is to get a higher rank. That's why MTM is so freaking crowded now. What were supposed to be ranks that were hard to get are now easy as hell with the abused rep system and all the spam in the forum But what can you expect from a forum with a demographic of mostly 9-13 year olds? You cannot control how they are. Which is why I thought that making any topic not count was stupid. If we keep doing this, the members will find other topics and we would have to disable those too. And then the entire forum would not count at all.

So honestly, just drop it. There will always be spam nomatter what topic it is. People find their ways.

BreeZaps
08-25-2013, 03:43 AM
>People say that they don't care about post count
>complaining about people spamming for post count

Good job guys -_-

I have a question. Do you care or don't care? Make up your damn mind!

Red
08-25-2013, 03:46 AM
AT LEAST YOU ALL GOT QUESTIONS ASKED IN YOUR THREADS /caps

Ayra
08-25-2013, 03:52 AM
The only reason so many people are spamming up the MTM section is to get a higher rank. That's why MTM is so freaking crowded now. What were supposed to be ranks that were hard to get are now easy as hell with the abused rep system and all the spam in the forum But what can you expect from a forum with a demographic of mostly 9-13 year olds? You cannot control how they are. Which is why I thought that making any topic not count was stupid. If we keep doing this, the members will find other topics and we would have to disable those too. And then the entire forum would not count at all.

So honestly, just drop it. There will always be spam nomatter what topic it is. People find their ways.
The problem with your argument is that it is much harder to spam an actual discussion than it is to spam another user with questions. Also, while the statement about people spamming AMAs for ranks may be true in part, as it is not false that people do this, it is also true that many users use the section for entertainment. Personally, I use the place to test people's reactions to whatever I throw at them. If we manage to disable the section from contributing to post count, we impose discipline on those who do use it for post count and ranks, as well as make it a more fun place for those who don't as there will be no worry about the section altering post count.

marissachu
08-25-2013, 04:00 AM
I'd just like to say that as someone who typically ends up going through most of the posts everyday it isn't like there's an extreme amount of posting overall in threads. The majority of interaction on the forums is through the chat box or ends up completely off site with Skype or Twitter. If we keep reducing the number of places where people can gain post count, there will inevitably be less posts and less activity (however insignificant the decrease). If people want to get to Ruby or get to whatever by asking legitimate questions (I don't condone the spam by any means) then so be it. It's not hurting you, and if you're mad because someone is posting questions you don't want to answer in your AMA then you reserve the right to not answer or or report that person if it is genuine spam and not just a question you don't like. And in the end by starting and "ask me anything" you are putting yourself out there to be subjected to that kind of stuff.

Additionally, on the matter of post counts, because a forum like Pointless Forum Games is meant to be spammy and fun and a place where restrictions don't really apply it's obvious that the posts there shouldn't count toward the overall post count. However, keeping the post count rule intact means that mods can actually give infractions and get up in people's faces for spamming. Having post count potentially keeps down that mad rush of nonsense that we see every day in PFG.

I'm sorry if people feel the question quality isn't good or that it's too spammy. I can understand that, but that's more of an issue to be dealt with through individual cases instead of just putting a blanket over the whole case and calling it good. If you see someone that's being totally awful in the section let the mods know. And if you're worried about people buffing their post counts or whatever then deal. Most of the people complaining already have Emerald or Ruby and would lose nothing by having a method of eventually ranking up eliminated. If you want people to post more in other topics then come up with some new threads but don't just fuss because people post too much in the Meet the Members section.

Sorry, I tend to ramble. Q__Q

BreeZaps
08-25-2013, 04:05 AM
Anyways. Like with the post thing. People say that they don't care about ranks. Yet people complain.

If you don't care about rep then stop complaining about the abused rep system.
If you don't care about post count then stop complaining about the spamming.
If you don't care about ranks then stop the "OMG :username: BECAME :rank name: WTF!!1111!!!1111

Really people grow up. I'm tired about people saying they don't care for something then they complain about the very thing.
If you don't give a damn about something then you shouldn't be complaining about it at all.

Really this forums is meant for kids. The rep system will be abused. Spamming will happen (kids can't make good quality posts anyways) and people will get ranks.

Remember this is a ****ing forum so why should it matter. Just let it all go. Grow up.

Ayra
08-25-2013, 04:43 AM
Anyways. Like with the post thing. People say that they don't care about ranks. Yet people complain.

If you don't care about rep then stop complaining about the abused rep system.
If you don't care about post count then stop complaining about the spamming.
If you don't care about ranks then stop the "OMG :username: BECAME :rank name: WTF!!1111!!!1111

Really people grow up. I'm tired about people saying they don't care for something then they complain about the very thing.
If you don't give a damn about something then you shouldn't be complaining about it at all.
Okay, it isn't that I have no concern for those systems. If that were true, I wouln't be making suggestions as to how we may improve them. Rather, I have faith in these systems, so I will point out their flaws so that we can amend them in order to improve these aspects in our community.
Really this forums is meant for kids. The rep system will be abused. Spamming will happen (kids can't make good quality posts anyways) and people will get ranks.
That is untrue. This forum has potential for kids and older members to coexist. If we fix the systems that give kids leniency, e.g. a non-rigorous rank system that allows for easy post count and rep, kids will be less irritating to us older members because they won't be able to spam and rep each other so smoothly.
Remember this is a ****ing forum so why should it matter. Just let it all go. Grow up.
Ok .

XpL
08-25-2013, 05:00 AM
Everyone talks out of their ***.
None of you know what true incentives and talk about the future as you clutch your metaphorical crystal ball.
At least people are willing to discuss this issue, but nobody can put up a plausible argument worth jack.
I'll say it again, the MTM section (and the Battle Rankings for that matter) were legitimate sections when the unique userbase that used them was lower. Now more and more have access to these sections the so called "abuse of the system" to farm post count is created. If people want to even go as far to debate what the definition of spam is, then maybe they should be put in the place in correspondence to their ultimate role in the meta-discussion of the forums.

Luna
08-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Everyone talks out of their ***.
None of you know what true incentives and talk about the future as you clutch your metaphorical crystal ball.
At least people are willing to discuss this issue, but nobody can put up a plausible argument worth jack.
I'll say it again, the MTM section (and the Battle Rankings for that matter) were legitimate sections when the unique userbase that used them was lower. Now more and more have access to these sections the so called "abuse of the system" to farm post count is created. If people want to even go as far to debate what the definition of spam is, then maybe they should be put in the place in correspondence to their ultimate role in the meta-discussion of the forums.
Sorry, but...
What?

Shaymin
08-25-2013, 01:03 PM
We're all hypocrites here since we say "post doesn't matter" says [high rank] member.

Here's my perspective: we're all so used to the knowing the people that came in June 2012 to November 2012 (I'm not exactly sure who was a registered member to the end of 2012, but the most prominent member to me at the latest of 2012 is TS) that when we see anybody who came later than the first day of 2013 as somebody abusing the system (not pointing anybody out) which is not the bloody case. It's still impossible for me to find a place where I can grind post count EXCEPT when I want/have an intellectual discussion or a useful thing to talk about, something that's pretty rare around some of these parts which is why you don't see me around Pointless Forum Games, FFQ before it was moved, Meet the Members, and the Battle Rankings.

Says the Emerald user. (But I didn't my rank by spamming anywhere in MTM)

I get that I may have holes in my claim. Correct me if you will.

Luna
08-25-2013, 01:14 PM
We're all hypocrites here since we say "post doesn't matter" says [high rank] member.

Post doesn't matter. You can remove the post count requirement (which I was suggesting) for ranks, and people would still post.

Cutiepuffle
08-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Why was Role-playing stopped having posts count. Cause you have to be creative in your posts there.

Dabottle
08-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Because half of the people posted one-line nonsense. That's not RPing.

XpL
08-25-2013, 06:55 PM
The Roleplay section and many other section for that matter, could be legitimate sources of post count if they were moderated properly. Of course such an issue rises above and beyond this discussion to the hierarchy of the SS system itself.

Pokemon Trainer N
08-26-2013, 02:43 AM
I feel like if the battle rankings didn't count for posts I'd be a lot more creative

brecot
08-26-2013, 03:27 AM
Didn't this already happen? In my eyes we should have post count everywhere EXCEPT Pointless Forum Games which I think should be in its own bar on the top. It should stay like it is now. If not, no one would ever care to post and this place will fall apart!

Kamex
08-26-2013, 01:45 PM
In my eyes we should have post count everywhere EXCEPT Pointless Forum Games.

I agree. To be honest, I always thought that having any post not count was a stupid idea.

Inb4 someone comes in and calls me an idiot for saying this. It's just my opinion. xD

Edit: I should provide reason. Nothing determines whether a post should count or not.A post is a post. If it's spam, infract the user and move on. If they haven't explained much it is expected since most of the people active here are about 10-14 years old.

brecot
08-26-2013, 01:56 PM
I agree. To be honest, I always thought that having any post not count was a stupid idea.

Inb4 someone comes in and calls me an idiot for saying this. It's just my opinion. xD
Then we would need rep and no effort.

herothezero
08-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Didn't this already happen? In my eyes we should have post count everywhere EXCEPT Pointless Forum Games which I think should be in its own bar on the top. It should stay like it is now. If not, no one would ever care to post and this place will fall apart!

I completely agree with this. I sort of understand why Introduce Myself has no postcount, but I believe all the subforums do deserve postcount.

Red
08-26-2013, 10:33 PM

http://www.4chan.org/

But in actual seriousness, forums are not meant to test how many times you can ****ing post random **** before you get to a new rank. Forums are supposed to be a place where people can relax and discuss things with others that have similar interests. Personally, I'd like it to go back to the way the original forumotion was(although I wasn't around for that). Instead of usergroups for post count there were fan clubs for specific interests such as Anime, Pokemon, Television, etc. The only thing this postcount and rep system does is turn children joining this forum into spammers and the teenagers into butthurt oldfags complaining about them.

XpL
08-27-2013, 01:12 AM
If we were to argue that the forums require a purpose to exist, then the purpose of the original spruz website was as a medium to connect the fans with Eyan. Following this logic, the forumotion version had the same purpose, to create a community centred around the videos of SuperSkarmory, but do so in a more advanced and updated manner. In this sense, the vBulletin era (both renditions) are just upgrades to the previous forum hosts.

I bring this up, because a great deal has changed with the management of the forum-base to the users currently participating and being generated. As we move further away from the so to speak 'original purpose', what we have left is a jumbled mess of a website where users new and old come to post in what appears to be in popular opinion, about nothing.

I am very prepared to argue that to solve this predicament of post count and spam, would cause us to have to fix a much more underlying and serious issue all together. An issue that traces to the very core of the SuperSkarmory hierarchy.

BreeZaps
08-27-2013, 01:19 AM
It would just be good if the ranking system was just removed. People will make better posts. The spamming will stop and people won't care about rep.

Or admins can just give ranks to people who they feel that they earned it.

I would enjoy the forums more if there wasn't a ranking system.

Luna
08-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Alternatively, ranks could be decided by moderators, and with more stronger . You're a good member who contributes a lot to the forum and explain your opinions in a sophisticated and non inflammatory matter? Here you go, you get a red name and awesome powers that almost match a mod's! Oh, you're a **** head who constantly flames other members? You get to keep the colour of your name as the colour of the skin you use.
This way, you can simply use reputation and post count as meaningless numbers, and the time you joined is just... there.

Ayra
08-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Locking because we are just discussing the rank system now, despite there already being a thread for that. Plus, this issue seems to be going nowhere for now, so I might bring it back up when it gets important again.