PDA

View Full Version : Dull Forums?

megagamer
06-05-2013, 01:58 AM
Hello everyone this topic might have been asked or answered already but I just want to know.

Lately it seems the forums have gotten a little....dull due to the lack of tourneys and special events. The Battle Rankings are cool and all but even with that it can get pretty boring.

So my question is will anyone make a tourney everyone can enjoy (since school will be soon over) and add some exciting things to the forums? The exicting things could be daily prizes or whatever.I know the mods tried the weekly tourney and it failed. It doesn't have to be that close or anything but at least a considerable date could work. I know the mods might have their hands full but may you please consider this?

Thank you
Megagamer

Tainers14
06-05-2013, 02:33 AM
I'm going to be blunt here. You try hosting events that show little interest to a forum where the members here are dull. If you think the forums are dull, try making more quality posts. Frankly it's hard to find good threads to post in and people don't know how to get good discussions going.

And about tournaments, half the time people don't show up. It's hard to do creative events that are also successful. Idk how the battle rankings were such a huge hit.

Going to leave this open for brainstorming. Discuss.

Bricktoad
06-05-2013, 02:39 AM
Hello, SuperEyan here brringing you NEW Active-Armor Forum Spray! Sticks to forums on any tough thread, and makes them new again! Dull forums will never be dull again with new Active-Armor Forum Spray.

Honestly I think with summer coming up, kiddies will flood the forums again, and activity will soar. Sure, it would be cool to have a tournament every now and again, but I think everything's fine the way it is.

Merga
06-05-2013, 02:51 AM
http://superskarmory.net/forum/showthread.php?4223-Merga-s-Unofficial-Tournaments-Super-Smash-Bros-Brawl <-- shameless advertising

Zachgoose
06-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Yeah tournaments can be problematic because a ton of people sign up and then half of them don't show...

Brainstorming random ideas off the top of my head that could be fun:

-Zach bringing back the "Pokemon Quiz" from Forumotion
-Minecraft server
-Terraria server (Game is about to update soon I think)
-Group playthroughs of PokeMMO
-Participating in a Fire Emblem: Pick My Unit / A Pokemon random Egg run.
-Super Skarmory Gym Leaders / E4
-MORE PEOPLE COULD PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS THAT WOULD ALWAYS BE COOL AND WE COULD DO COMMUNITY INHOUSES/ARAMS ESPECIALLY SINCE IT'S ONE OF EYAN'S FOCUSES RIGHT NOW :D (http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4e3aa52e3d07a279437061)

Discuss.

Dabottle
06-05-2013, 02:37 PM
zach when are we doing the link arena thingy if it's still a possibility

Also, I'd totally be up for some Minecraft stuff.

Luna
06-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Would you make the MC server available to everyone?

BreeZaps
06-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Yes a minecraft server. PLZ LET IT HAPPEN. Ya that would be pretty cool. I agree to the idea.

Patriot
06-05-2013, 03:22 PM
If you're doing a MC sever, for the love of god, at least use Bukkit.

"kthxbai" - Longtime Bukkit Server Runner

Zachgoose
06-05-2013, 03:33 PM
The server would be "unsecured" so anyone could connect. Hackers would be banned, though; I want everyone to play fairly and respect one another's belongings. Obviously survival mode would be on.

And we could have an SS Minecraft Skype group I guess. What does Bukkit offer over using the official Minecraft server and connecting to an IP?

(Also anyone feel free to jump in about non-Minecraft discussion).

BreeZaps
06-05-2013, 03:34 PM
And we could have an SS Minecraft Skype group I guess.
Not everyone has skype you know. (Like me)

Zachgoose
06-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Skype would be optional of course. I personally use Mumble myself in most cases, but I understand that the majority of the community likes Skype.

Dabottle
06-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Would be going with the official releases or the snapshots?

Also, would we be able to have PVP events every now and again?
Eyanland UHC!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, what's the deal with the FE7 thing?

Luna
06-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Eyanland UHC!!!!!!!!!

we should do this because that way i'll finally get to play uhc and not get told 'you can't even play normal minecraft'

Zachgoose
06-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Would be going with the official releases or the snapshots?

Also, would we be able to have PVP events every now and again?
Eyanland UHC!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, what's the deal with the FE7 thing?

Uhh... I'm assuming "Snapshots" are small updates to the game? I haven't been into Minecraft in a couple of years. If so, I'd prefer just using every major update.

PVP sure. It will be turned on by default as well. We could have an arena or something for occasional fighting.

And probably can do the FE Link arena thing eventually (Although I gotta finish Awakening first :P)

Dabottle
06-05-2013, 04:02 PM
Uhh... I'm assuming "Snapshots" are small updates to the game? I haven't been into Minecraft in a couple of years. If so, I'd prefer just using every major update.

PVP sure. It will be turned on by default as well. We could have an arena or something for occasional fighting.

And probably can do the FE Link arena thing eventually (Although I gotta finish Awakening first :P)

Snapshots are basically "beta" updates. While the official releases come out every few months, snapshots come out (nearly) every week and contain smaller updates which are added in the official releases once everything is tested and balanced and bugs are caught. However, since they tend to contain bugs, it'd probably be safer to go with the official updates, as much as I want my stained clay and horses. xD

That's good to know. Would it be possible to do events off of the normal world, though? e.g. a custom map of some sort.

Alright!

Zachgoose
06-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Sure thing. :3 The default server would just stay up 24/7 except for special events.

BreeZaps
06-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Skype would be optional of course. I personally use Mumble myself in most cases, but I understand that the majority of the community likes Skype.

Wait. Do we have to have mumble or skype to get access to the server?
:/

Dabottle
06-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Wait. Do we have to have mumble or skype to get access to the server?
:/

Of course not, silly.

Btw, I'd have no problems with moderating the server should this happen and you need someone to.

BreeZaps
06-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Of course not, silly.

Btw, I'd have no problems with moderating the server should this happen and you need someone to.
Ok.
And I haven't played MineCraft for months due to not having a account anymore, but I'm planing to get it again.

Dabottle
06-05-2013, 06:31 PM
How do you not have an account anymore?

BreeZaps
06-05-2013, 06:37 PM
How do you not have an account anymore?

It was my friends account I was using. I forgot the pass and I have no contact with him anymore.

Minntul
06-05-2013, 07:21 PM
-MORE PEOPLE COULD PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS THAT WOULD ALWAYS BE COOL AND WE COULD DO COMMUNITY INHOUSES/ARAMS ESPECIALLY SINCE IT'S ONE OF EYAN'S FOCUSES RIGHT NOW :D (http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4e3aa52e3d07a279437061).

you all should totally use this link if you plan on signing up because zach is still greedy even tho he already owns lion dance kog

i guess i would be up for terraria and minecraft

im bad at video games tho and i only play those to parappa rap punch kick animals

also i think we did have a tf2 playdate mooooooooooooooonths ago. i dont know how that went but it could be worth another try

Patriot
06-05-2013, 07:25 PM
The server would be "unsecured" so anyone could connect. Hackers would be banned, though; I want everyone to play fairly and respect one another's belongings. Obviously survival mode would be on.

And we could have an SS Minecraft Skype group I guess. What does Bukkit offer over using the official Minecraft server and connecting to an IP?

(Also anyone feel free to jump in about non-Minecraft discussion).

Well, practically everything. Plugins can give admins even more control and you can also add in all kinds of additional stuff to enhance gameplay AND server performance.

Simply put it, it's a direct upgrade with no setbacks, it can be accessed with the normal MC client and has the capability to do a lot more. (You connect to a Bukkit server the same way you connect to a normal server anyways) It's practically a direct upgrade and there really is no reason NOT to use it. If we're gonna start a server for the forums, might as well put some work into setting it up.

Dabottle
06-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Well, practically everything. Plugins can give admins even more control and you can also add in all kinds of additional stuff to enhance gameplay AND server performance.

Simply put it, it's a direct upgrade with no setbacks, it can be accessed with the normal MC client and has the capability to do a lot more. (You connect to a Bukkit server the same way you connect to a normal server anyways) It's practically a direct upgrade and there really is no reason NOT to use it. If we're gonna start a server for the forums, might as well put some work into setting it up.

Does Bukkit tend to be updated on the day of a new release or is it one of those cases of having to wait a while, even though there was a pre-release a week before? The only drawback I can see is having to wait to update.

Xerodragon12
06-05-2013, 09:17 PM
In something outside of Minecraft (which I don't have, mind you), how about community FlockDraw sessions? I know I did this once, and stuff happened, and people were being complete trolls and stuff, but I think, with proper planning, we can make it work out. I was thinking of having themed sessions, so we can all work on a single piece together, rather than a million different themes at once, and at the end of the session, I'll screen shot it and put in our very own flockdraw thread here on the forums.

Dabottle
06-05-2013, 09:27 PM
In something outside of Minecraft (which I don't have, mind you), how about community FlockDraw sessions? I know I did this once, and stuff happened, and people were being complete trolls and stuff, but I think, with proper planning, we can make it work out. I was thinking of having themed sessions, so we can all work on a single piece together, rather than a million different themes at once, and at the end of the session, I'll screen shot it and put in our very own flockdraw thread here on the forums.

I unfortunately cannot see Flockdraw working out, but it's worth a try for sure. Everything's worth trying.

XpL
06-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Star Wards 4: A New Koppe?

Patriot
06-06-2013, 12:39 AM
Does Bukkit tend to be updated on the day of a new release or is it one of those cases of having to wait a while, even though there was a pre-release a week before? The only drawback I can see is having to wait to update.

The Bukkit server client itself is typically always up to date, though the plugins are up to the dev. Most popular plugins are updated really fast, though some may take a bit longer between 1.X.X updates. Not too long though, as long as the dev is still continually working on the respective plugin.

Dabottle
06-06-2013, 12:42 AM
Then I agree that it would be a good idea.

Ice
06-06-2013, 01:31 AM
tbh I'd think that you'd want to go Bukkit even if it took a while to update simply because from what I've seen this is basically open to everyone and not having at least some admin tools for public servers is kind of stupid.

That being said, an MC server sounds cool. Dunno how active I'd be because I prefer smaller, whitelisted servers and would probably be more active on one of those if a certain person plans to actually do that again, but I'd probably hop in for group events at the very least. (PvP arena stuff if that happens or maybe other stuff not part of the main world like UHCs/Calamity, etc.)

also kyuubi, aside from the fact that spending a few days walking off cliffs won't exactly help you play UHC, you're kind of never there when they happen because they start right after you leave, lol.

Uzi
06-06-2013, 03:45 AM
league of legends
terraria
streaming
movie night :^)
video james together
tournaments for good video games
world of warcraft
competitions in video james
video james
competitive book reading
destruction of the anime section
da rap battle
modding patriot
demoting flubbs
banning patriot

- da uzi

Merga
06-06-2013, 04:36 AM
You got me with competitive book reading and the promotion and banning of Patriot.

Patriot
06-06-2013, 04:42 AM
league of legends
terraria
streaming
movie night :^)
video james together
tournaments for good video games
world of warcraft
competitions in video james
video james
competitive book reading
destruction of the anime section
da rap battle
modding patriot
demoting flubbs
banning patriot

- da uzi

I mostly approve of this message.
(but tbh terraria is dead anywho)

Uzi
06-06-2013, 04:56 AM
terraria is being updated like next month broham

op update with waterfalls and cool ****

XpL
06-06-2013, 05:01 AM
how does any of this increase forum activity.
kids just be sitting idle on MC servers rearranging their chests to satisfy their delusional aspie.

Patriot
06-06-2013, 05:42 AM
terraria is being updated like next month broham

op update with waterfalls and cool ****

wat

lies (terraria was sure as dead)

Xerodragon12
06-06-2013, 05:46 AM
how does any of this increase forum activity.
kids just be sitting idle on MC servers rearranging their chests to satisfy their delusional aspie.

Well, a dull forum is usually the result of a dull community. In order to make the forums more interesting, we consider adding community functions, like a community Minecraft server and tournaments to not only bring the community closer, but also give people something to talk about. Of course, if kids have that kind of OCD about chest arrangement, then let them go about it.

XpL
06-06-2013, 01:36 PM
making a mc server will decrease forum activity.
unless you decide that you want some MC Subforum, but that's silly because remember guys; Pokemon.

Dabottle
06-06-2013, 01:41 PM
So how would you increase community interaction, oh great and wise Xpl?
It doesn't need to be on the forum to be community interaction, anyway.

Anyway, I'm going to look at Amir's list again:

If you're up for it, sure. Not sure if I'd participate, but I'm sure others would enjoy it.
-Minecraft server
: )
I find Terraria earlygame dreadfully boring, and thus can never motivate myself to play it, but others might be up for it.
Haven't played PokéMMO myself yet, but it looks fun and this would probaby be fun.
Because they get finished. xD
Do these ever work out?
-MORE PEOPLE COULD PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS THAT WOULD ALWAYS BE COOL AND WE COULD DO COMMUNITY INHOUSES/ARAMS ESPECIALLY SINCE IT'S ONE OF EYAN'S FOCUSES RIGHT NOW :D (http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4e3aa52e3d07a279437061)
GO FOR IT - says the guy who doesn't play LoL.

Red
06-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Yeah tournaments can be problematic because a ton of people sign up and then half of them don't show...

Brainstorming random ideas off the top of my head that could be fun:

-Minecraft server

Discuss.

The Terraria update is said to be coming in July. I think a hardcore run would be pretty fun though. PokeMMO is fun but I found a better Pokemon MMO about a month ago called Pokemon Dawn of Darkness (http://www.pokemondod.com/). It features all of the pokemon up to 4th gen if I remember correctly and has a brand new region to tear through. Be warned though, the gym battles challenging as all hell. Be prepared to lose a couple times before coming close to winning. Never got into Fire Emblem and I can't play Pokemon on my DS currently so I wouldn't be able to participate in the randomizer events. Sara would totally be up for the Gym Leaders and Elite Four. They had it on Pokestation which I'm sure you're getting this idea from and it was really fun.

Going back to Terraria, the creators of the game are also working on another game called Starbound. It's going to take place in space where you can explore infinitely generated planets and even set one as your homeworld. Seems like it's going to be really freaking sweet for multiplayer. http://playstarbound.com/about/ More info there

megagamer
06-06-2013, 07:30 PM
making a mc server will decrease forum activity.
unless you decide that you want some MC Subforum, but that's silly because remember guys; Pokemon.

Pokemon. We're all about Pokemon.

Maybe a Pokemon tourney on the Ds would work and we could film each battle and then the grand final winner could battle SS like in the old days

Patriot
06-06-2013, 08:10 PM
The Terraria update is said to be coming in July. I think a hardcore run would be pretty fun though. PokeMMO is fun but I found a better Pokemon MMO about a month ago called Pokemon Dawn of Darkness (http://www.pokemondod.com/). It features all of the pokemon up to 4th gen if I remember correctly and has a brand new region to tear through. Be warned though, the gym battles challenging as all hell. Be prepared to lose a couple times before coming close to winning. Never got into Fire Emblem and I can't play Pokemon on my DS currently so I wouldn't be able to participate in the randomizer events. Sara would totally be up for the Gym Leaders and Elite Four. They had it on Pokestation which I'm sure you're getting this idea from and it was really fun.

Going back to Terraria, the creators of the game are also working on another game called Starbound. It's going to take place in space where you can explore infinitely generated planets and even set one as your homeworld. Seems like it's going to be really freaking sweet for multiplayer. http://playstarbound.com/about/ More info there

No, Starbound isn't made by all the same creators, the only person who left Terraria to do Starbound was Tiy, their main spriter. Redigit and Blue have no part in Starbound. (Blue also left to do his own project, so now the only person in Re-Logic is Redigit.)

XpL
06-06-2013, 08:16 PM
So how would you increase community interaction, oh great and wise Xpl?
It doesn't need to be on the forum to be community interaction, anyway.

Off forum activities eventually split up communities.
A start would be actual discussion, instead of everyone running around posting one liners. I can't remember the last time people discussed world news or anything remotely interesting since all people want to talk about is their fan fiction, their roleplay, the battle rankings or their ingame Pokemon team.

Xerodragon12
06-06-2013, 08:55 PM
Off forum activities eventually split up communities.
A start would be actual discussion, instead of everyone running around posting one liners. I can't remember the last time people discussed world news or anything remotely interesting since all people want to talk about is their fan fiction, their roleplay, the battle rankings or their ingame Pokemon team.
A good majority of the forum users are pre-teens to early teens. Do you really expect to get any decent discussion of world news from kids who either have no interest in it (as their main priority is their ingame team and video games) or kids who haven't experienced enough of the world to develop their own opinions on the matter?

Tainers14
06-07-2013, 01:13 AM
A good majority of the forum users are pre-teens to early teens. Do you really expect to get any decent discussion of world news from kids who either have no interest in it (as their main priority is their ingame team and video games) or kids who haven't experienced enough of the world to develop their own opinions on the matter?

You're implying that a good discussion has to be about serious topics, which is not true by any means. XpL has the right idea where people need to come up with good and original threads that people would actually want to talk about, whether it is a certain story or a particular even that happened to someone.

Promoting stuff like the MC server does help people's will to post, but it doesn't necessarily guarantee that forums are getting more exciting. The forum members here just don't put any thought into their posts. You only ever see lengthy posts in ff or suggestions and feedback.

tl;dr people just need to make an effort to create quality posts. quality > quantity.

megagamer
06-07-2013, 02:54 PM
You're implying that a good discussion has to be about serious topics, which is not true by any means. XpL has the right idea where people need to come up with good and original threads that people would actually want to talk about, whether it is a certain story or a particular even that happened to someone.

Promoting stuff like the MC server does help people's will to post, but it doesn't necessarily guarantee that forums are getting more exciting. The forum members here just don't put any thought into their posts. You only ever see lengthy posts in ff or suggestions and feedback.

tl;dr people just need to make an effort to create quality posts. quality > quantity.

However even when someone makes a good quality thread that doesn't boost the activity on the forums. The threads now aren't quality but even If they were this forum is more of a gaming type forum not a discussion about the world, or daily life. That's what the chatbox is for.
Xero is on point because the younger kids ( and me too) rather talk about gaming like Pokemon and stuff. This is a forum for all ages.

Shaymin
06-07-2013, 04:39 PM
I remember talking to EpicCh33se and Zachgoose one night about hosting an osu! tournament, but I highly doubt that would happen. Reason being of course is that the only known members that (actively) play osu! are Shiningbolt, EpicCh33se and I. Not only that, I'm afraid that not a lot of people will show up. I do hope one day that an osu! tournament is held for the SS forums to make the place more interesting.

But what do I know? I'm not a member of the staff, so I can't announce a tournament.

Tainers14
06-07-2013, 11:44 PM
However even when someone makes a good quality thread that doesn't boost the activity on the forums. The threads now aren't quality but even If they were this forum is more of a gaming type forum not a discussion about the world, or daily life. That's what the chatbox is for.
Xero is on point because the younger kids ( and me too) rather talk about gaming like Pokemon and stuff. This is a forum for all ages.

The chatbox is stupid because newer members just get ignored unless they spam and people just cuddle up in their little groups and pull off their dumb inside jokes.

megagamer
06-08-2013, 12:05 AM
The chatbox is stupid because newer members just get ignored unless they spam and people just cuddle up in their little groups and pull off their dumb inside jokes.

That too. Course they do it for attention. I know Mega does a great job with stopping drama and rping. But there nothing you can really do to stop those dumb inside jokes.

Ayra
06-08-2013, 05:42 AM
Exactly why wee need to boost the requirements for Chatbox privileges. To prevent noobs from spamming it with their own bull****.

sonriopoby123
06-08-2013, 06:07 AM
Minecraft was never an interest of mine, but I'm sure there's enough interest on the forum for a server. I doubt anyone plays Terraria anymore.

Might I remind everyone that although we all have different interests, there's really one main focus on this forum? What focus? Take a look at the name of this forum. More and more kids keep coming here for one game: Pokémon. If we can come up with enough events for Pokémon like tourneys, playthroughs, and even the Gym Leaders thing Amir mentioned earlier, more members will start taking different interests in other things the longer they stay in the community. Less than half of our members here are active, and if we want a interactive forum, Pokémon is a great place to start.

XpL
06-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Exactly why wee need to boost the requirements for Chatbox privileges. To prevent noobs from spamming it with their own bull****.

Elitist much? Are you saying this due to your pre-established status within this community?

Ice
06-08-2013, 01:45 PM
There are a bunch of people here already that would probably meet the requirements even if they were increased that don't really contribute to any sort of discussion on chat and spam it with their own bull****. Probably more so than some new guy that wants to say hi.

megagamer
06-08-2013, 02:57 PM
There are a bunch of people here already that would probably meet the requirements even if they were increased that don't really contribute to any sort of discussion on chat and spam it with their own bull****. Probably more so than some new guy that wants to say hi.

Spam= chat Ban. Simple as that.

XpL
06-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Spam= chat Ban. Simple as that.
I used to do this (although with much less tolerance) and in the end they were just getting unbanned in an hour.

GameDirect
06-08-2013, 04:40 PM
Yeah Spammers get hit by hammers

Xerodragon12
06-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Yeah Spammers get hit by hammers

Kinda like you, right?

Anyways, the only reason why they'd be unbanned nowadays is mainly because Zach said something along the lines of "If they want to be part of the community and they're making an effort to be part of it, I don't see why they shouldn't have chatbox privileges" or something.

Tainers14
06-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Kinda like you, right?

Anyways, the only reason why they'd be unbanned nowadays is mainly because Zach said something along the lines of "If they want to be part of the community and they're making an effort to be part of it, I don't see why they shouldn't have chatbox privileges" or something.

This may be a bit off topic but please don't blame any of the other staff in public. If you have issues with the other staff please say something in private. :/

XpL
06-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Blaming staff in private? Man we've never done that.

megagamer
06-09-2013, 04:44 AM
Um just a suggestion for a activity.

There could be a thread where each week their is a drawing where if you were picked you could battle a Mod ( or Admin) in Pokemon (or whatever the member and Mod agree with) and have it filmed and posted on the thread for viewers to watch and enjoy. The mod you can fight could change each week. (So for example one week if you were lucky you could face Uzi and then another week you would fight MegasomeONE)

Such throwing a idea out there. It might create some activity and fun. Course their are bugs in this plan so be free to comment

Ayra
06-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Elitist much? Are you saying this due to your pre-established status within this community?
Um, when did I say I had a pre-established status? I was simply suggesting that we keep new people out of the chatbox.

I used to do this (although with much less tolerance) and in the end they were just getting unbanned in an hour.
Why the hell were they getting unbanned in only one hour? Staff, if one of you should ban someone, make it a point that they undergo a full-length sentence.

Uzi
06-14-2013, 07:47 PM

how does preventing people from joining the chatbox prevent circlejerking

Minntul
06-14-2013, 07:57 PM
daily reminder you're a bigger noob if you seriously attack newer, younger and inexperienced users who probably feel slightly awkward for the first week of being here

remember 2009 when we were all like that and nobody was there to harass us for it

lets all do that for them

i believe

Patriot
06-27-2013, 10:39 PM
daily reminder you're a bigger noob if you seriously attack newer, younger and inexperienced users who probably feel slightly awkward for the first week of being here

remember 2009 when we were all like that and nobody was there to harass us for it

lets all do that for them

i believe

#MentalForBenevolentDictatorForLife2194

♏Ա§♪ℂ~
07-06-2013, 01:48 PM
minecraft server. /caseclosed

Patriot
07-06-2013, 03:18 PM
minecraft server. /caseclosed

Which already exists, but still hasn't fixed anything. /caseopened

♏Ա§♪ℂ~
07-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Actually tbh. Playing that minecraft server reduced my activity on the forums so /caseopened!~ And you cant do /caseclosed. It's my thing. >.< xD