PDA

View Full Version : I Can Never Make A Good Team on Pokemon Showdown. I need help.

dud190
08-23-2013, 08:41 PM
I've tried, and tried, and tried, and tried, but I can never make a good team like Ubers or Mr. Dragonite does. The only good team I ever built was a team that got deleted, and it was a sun team with a ninetales, shiftry, whimsicott, venusaur, and 2 others. After that, I have kept declining in the ability to make a good OU team anymore. Any OU team I make doesn't get very many wins for me. So does anyone have any tips on a good team? I also DO NOT copy other people's teams.

Dragonite
08-23-2013, 08:57 PM
I don't make good teams, I make gimmick teams and fight enough n00bs to make it look like I make good teams.

Actually, not entirely. This is what I do.

1. Think of something to build a team around. Like rain, sun, Leafeon, stall wars, nuking stuff hard and quickly, etc. I'm going to talk about rain here because it's generic and "easy."

2. This of a bunch of good Pokemon that would go on a team. Politoed, Jolteon, Thundurus, Dragonite, Ferrothorn, Scizor, all those things would go on a rain team. Pick probably about 4 of them (I'll give you a hint, make sure your rain summoner makes the final cut if you decide to make a rain team).

3. Think of counters to your team. Other weather teams, obviously, if you're in OU or Uber. Annoying crap like Ferrothorn that can switch in on anything, super effective or not. Plan some counters for those counters: Ferrothorn can't do beans to anything with Magic Bounce, Psyshock annihilates Blissey, etc.)

4. Utility Pokemon. Stuff that can do things other than attacking or summoning weather. Screens, entry hazards, Baton Pass, Trick + Choice Scarf, Toxic, Will-o-wisp, Rapid Spin, that sort of thing. You probably want something like that on your own team.

5. What else are you looking for on your team? I like priority attacks on at least one Pokemon, if not to do only 1 HP worth of damage. Because, you know, Focus Sashes and Sturdy is everywhere.

6. Make sure you have at least one attacking move on everything, lest someone go and use Taunt. (FYI, Registeel is a wicked paraflincher with Iron Head.)

7. Accuracy > Power, irdc what Ubers says. On average, Ice Beam outdamages Blizzard over the course of 8 PP because 120*0.70 < 95.

8. Boosting moves: don't rely too much on them. You will either be Roar'd or Dragon Tail'd at least once every battle if you do. That being said, the phazing moves are negative priority so if you can go +6 with Calm Mind you'll probably be killing stuff before it comes down to that priority level in the first place.

And because I feel like highlighting this over the other stuff, don't be afraid to look under your tier for stuff to use. Leafeon is NU. I have pulled enough Leafeon sweeps in OU and Uber to stop caring about even recording the videos. And just yesterday US20 posted something about trolling OU with Dusknoir.

Then, when you get into battle, don't be afraid to death fodder stuff if you want to scout something. Pokemon don't "die," they just faint, and knowing what your opponent plans on doing without taking a super effective hit is always nice.

UbersSuck20
08-23-2013, 08:58 PM
1a. If you want to use a weather team, try to use Pokemon that benefit from that kind of weather (e.g. Tornadus and Feraligatr for rain, Venusaur and Volcarona for sun, Stoutland for sand and Kyurem for hail).
1b. If you don't use a weather team, then consider using a hyperoffensive team with Crustle, Accelgor or maybe Scolipede, two wallbreakers, Weavile and two sweepers. If not, try bulky offense or balanced (w/Blissey).
2. Support the sweepers in a way (unless you're using a hyperoffensive team, as you'll rarely switch out). For example, if you want to sweep with Feraligatr in the rain, try to support it by getting rid of its counters, like Celebi (Scizor is a perfect partner) and giving it hazard support (Ferrothorn).
3. If you're using a weather team, have a Pokemon that can handle other types of weather teams (Dugtrio/Gothitelle for sun work perfect in this regard. Dugtrio also works well in the rain, while Gothitelle is good in sand and hail. Kyurem-B takes down a large portion of rain, sun and sand teams).
4. Use a good Choice Scarf Pokemon like Keldeo, especially if it benefits from the weather effects.

Hope it helps. I'll update this later.

dud190
08-23-2013, 09:04 PM
Would it be helpful to attach a wide lens to something like ninetales, with hypnosis and fire blast? Or is that a waste of an item? Because I've been using wide lens ninetales for a while now.

UbersSuck20
08-23-2013, 09:06 PM
If you hate misses then yes, a wide lens can help you.

Dragonite
08-23-2013, 09:07 PM
Well, Hypnosis + 10% is still really pathetic, but Fire Blast + 10% isn't too shabby. I like Leftovers because I think weather stuff should be able to take hits and stay alive for long periods of time, especially when there's an opposing weather thing on the other team, but that's just me.

dud190
08-23-2013, 10:12 PM
Is a Hail team viable in OU?

Dragonite
08-23-2013, 10:19 PM
I suppose, but don't centralize on Blizzard, you should already know how that fares in the face of Mach Punch.

http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue23/hail