PDA

View Full Version : The Meet the Members section and postcount

UbersSuck20
09-06-2013, 07:52 PM
YYHD made a thread where he thinks that this section should not contribute to the postcount, but that thread was locked.

Anyway, I really think all this section really does is increase our postcount, and I think it should be "nerfed". However, I don't really think simply making this section not contribute to the postcount and call it a day is the best idea, so I am going to suggest something.

1) Merge 3 posts (or more) containing only one question in one single post. And maybe 2 posts containing 2 questions. This would limit spamming in AMAs just to increase our postcount, but it would still contribute towards it, though not as much as the other sections.

If you think this idea is not that good, then here's a second idea:

2) Only Ruby users and higher can have AMA threads (including mods and admins, of course). Yes, this was a clever idea back when Crystal Rank was revealed. However, now there are already a whopping 58 AMAs, some of them being inactive. More and more users join these forums and eventually reach Crystal Rank. The only way to remedy this in my opinion, bar the first idea, is to simply increase the requirements we need to achieve so that we can have an AMA thread. Though I wouldn't agree with deleting the AMAs of those who aren't Ruby users, but rather just lock them until the user becomes Ruby.

Thoughts on this?

Merga
09-06-2013, 08:06 PM
I would personally just have that section not count towards post count, but out of your options, I would choose the second one. The first option implies that the admins/mods will babysit the section, and that is not fun for us. If we were to do the second option, however, we would have to delete everyone's AMA thread as if they never existed. Personally, I think it would be easier to just deny post count for that section.

BreeZaps
09-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Whats wrong with gaining post count. Sure people spam for ranks but does it matter. DOES IT MATTER? No. If people are double posting then sure thats wrong. But if people aren't then I don't think it's bad. If we take post count away I believe that no one will post there anymore. It will die. Don't say that it won't cause you don't know that.
It's hard to get post count these days. The only way is the battle rankings and I don't do that. I don't see anything wrong with gaining post count to get ranks. Remember this forum is for kids and they will spam.
POST COUNT IS JUST A NUMBER. Why should you care if there post count is high cause they are spamming there?

Sorry if I said anything stupid. Just saying what I believe.

UbersSuck20
09-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Whats wrong with gaining post count. Sure people spam for ranks but does it matter. DOES IT MATTER? No. If people are double posting then sure thats wrong. But if people aren't then I don't think it's bad. If we take post count away I believe that no one will post there anymore. It will die. Don't say that it won't cause you don't know that.
It's hard to get post count these days. The only way is the battle rankings and I don't do that. I don't see anything wrong with gaining post count to get ranks. Remember this forum is for kids and they will spam.
POST COUNT IS JUST A NUMBER. Why should you care if there post count is high cause they are spamming there?

Sorry if I said anything stupid. Just saying what I believe.

The massive problem with your argument is that ranks exist on these forums, and people will try everything they can to increase their post count and get to the next rank, and reputation doesn't really make up for it imo. So basically, for example, you're Emerald just because you spammed in section x, and you don't really deserve that rank. And Meet the Members is the main source of us spamming to the max. Also even if a section doesn't contribute towards postcount, that doesn't mean it will die. PFG and the roleplaying section are still very active.

Luna
09-06-2013, 08:25 PM
I still think that this is the best way to fix the problems with people abusing the ranking system. (http://superskarmory.net/forum/showthread.php?4172-Postcount-suggestion&p=146118&viewfull=1#post146118)

*THAT'S A LINK*

BreeZaps
09-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Ok then. If spamming is a big problem why don't the mods just give them an Infraction? If they keep spamming a admin can just ban them from posting there. Problem solved.

UbersSuck20
09-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Ok then. If spamming is a big problem why don't the mods just give them an Infraction? If they keep spamming a admin can just ban them from posting there. Problem solved.

Those who "spam" in MtM actually don't break any rules, because they don't double post, post things like "i like this ama" etc. However, lots of stupid questions are asked in this section, like PZ asking X "can you write a 3 sentence story about me???!!!" (source) (http://superskarmory.net/forum/showthread.php?1899-Bombard-a-Korean-with-Questions!/page54). This is not really what post count should be rewarding imo. I still think this section should contribute towards post count, but not be an invitation for users to come in and make an infinite amount of posts with only one question just to increase their postcount.

herothezero
09-06-2013, 08:44 PM
I agree with Bree with the whole "What's so bad about postcount." The fact that people find this an issue is a bit confusing to me. As long as no one is breaking the rules, I see no problem with the posting. Sure some people do post in the AMA's, but really, what the hell is the problem. To me the worst part is in the spoiler.

People say rank doesn't matter and the same with postcount.
Same people to eliminate postcount from a section because suddenly rank matters when someone posts only to get to a higher rank.
Honestly, if you do care, don't say you don't. If you can say you care, then complain all you want. And those anyone find it strange that only higher members in rank don't care. Face it, we were all lower rank kiddies who only cared about high ranks at some point. Show some empathy for kids or people who want high ranks. Hell, I'll be honest, I still care about ranks a bit.

Also, no one is breaking the rules. There's no spam, and as long as there is no spam, nothing is wrong with the AMA besides Yoshi I can only think of two solutions that could possibly work for this not important (in my opinion) issue.

1. Ubers' second idea. But with Emerald rank instead. Ruby just sounds absurd.

2. Make it so, barring the first 24 hours, you can only post on an AMA thread 2-5 times a day (one of those numbers, not all).

But I still don't see why this is such a big issue.

Bricktoad
09-06-2013, 08:58 PM
have you people lost the idea of what intelligence is
just get rid of that section or get rid of the postcount tied to it.

[06-09, 15:31] Bricktoag: Can we remove that section
[06-09, 15:31] Bricktoag: Nobody actually uses it for any good reason

Dragonite
09-06-2013, 09:01 PM
2. Make it so, barring the first 24 hours, you can only post on an AMA thread 2-5 times a day (one of those numbers, not all).

That.

And anyone who doesn't think "spam" questions get asked in the AMA place . . . have you actually been reading them, then?

Kamex
09-06-2013, 09:24 PM
I think the second option is the best. AMAs were supposed to be Small and Exclusive. Everyone and their grandmothers has a thread now. And it's not as easy to get ruby as it was crystal, So I like your idea.

Shaymin
09-06-2013, 10:26 PM
I'd rather have the limit raised to Emerald, then Ruby when there are more than enough Emeralds. That, and have the user's AMAs locked until they reach the ranks that are exclusive to the MtM (although it may sound like a confusing idea). That way, people won't "rant" that it's unfair that the mods/admins deleted a user's AMA.

BreeZaps
09-06-2013, 10:50 PM
I'd rather have the limit raised to Emerald, then Ruby when there are more than enough Emeralds. That, and have the user's AMAs locked until they reach the ranks that are exclusive to the MtM (although it may sound like a confusing idea). That way, people won't "rant" that it's unfair that the mods/admins deleted a user's AMA.
Can we just do this.
Please.
Zach please.

Pokemon73
09-06-2013, 11:11 PM
>This coming from the one who does it himself ( No offence, Ubers, just saying )

As for being on topic, I think AMAs are fine, just because there are that many doesn't mean to just do it, if one does get out of hand, I think it should be moved to PFG

sonriopoby123
09-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Before I ramble a bit, let me clarify that yes I am a Ruby User.

The fact that you guys keep bringing up this idea means you guys really want this implemented. However, have you considered what other options there are for posting as well?

- General Dis. has threads, yes, but those are one post only threads and most of the people have already taken advantage of that.
- Media is a barren wasteland.
- Animu and Mango only contribute to the real "otaku" members here which is only about a handful of us.
- VideoGame/Nintendo have a lot threads but I guess NOBODY HAS BEEN PAYING ATTENTION THEM
- lolpokemonsections
- Fanfiction and Art are really exclusive.
- Battle Rankings are for people who get in.

Once you look at it, there really are a couple options left for post count, and since earning ranks is considered a blessing over here people have probably posted there already. What does that mean? Hmm, let me think.

There should be at least some rules with it though, I was thinking something along the lines of:
1. At least 3 questions with more than 3 words in it (gets rid of the stupid "do you like waffles")

That's my two cents on the matter. Call me hypocritical, but hey. Who's the one that's Emerald?

herothezero
09-06-2013, 11:19 PM
In b4 5 people have AMA's

I think (possibly) another solution could be locking your AMA for a while (like Bree, LP, and Dragonite) until people forget about it (like, when it's at the bottom of the first page or a different page)

Luna
09-06-2013, 11:21 PM
my ama got forgotten about a while ago and i only post in an ama if a mod links it
this doesn't affect me at all

Blue
09-07-2013, 01:34 AM
The massive problem with your argument is that ranks exist on these forums, and people will try everything they can to increase their post count and get to the next rank, and reputation doesn't really make up for it imo. So basically, for example, you're Emerald just because you spammed in section x, and you don't really deserve that rank. And Meet the Members is the main source of us spamming to the max. Also even if a section doesn't contribute towards postcount, that doesn't mean it will die. PFG and the roleplaying section are still very active.

The rep system also exists so people won't be able to go up in rank if they don't have the good posts. I don't think one can reach high ranks exclusively from meet the members since you need like 500 rep. Sure they can reach bronze or silver but that's about it.

BreeZaps
09-07-2013, 01:40 AM
Let me say something about the rep system.
People have seem to forget that you can DEREP. Omg I know you can derep right? Did you know that?

But anyways if people don't make good posts why not just derep them? And if they try to get there rep back by rep4rep It's agenst the rules therefore the person could lose all there rep.

Everyone acts like getting rep is perment. Remember it's not and derep exists. : )

Kamex
09-07-2013, 01:52 AM
>This coming from the one who does it himself ( No offence, Ubers, just saying )

Please do not pull that pointing fingers crap, every person here is guilty of this. Even you and I.

Gyaradomo
09-07-2013, 02:14 AM
Simple Solution: Make the post count on MTM not matter. MTM is a really easy source of gaining posts. And what happens when there is more and more need for posts? The quality of it goes down. And if we keep getting MTM to have postcount, then the other forums will deteriorate too because MTM takes all the attention. Surely rep is something, but the rep system is broken to hell. All I'm saying is that you stop the postcount. We don't want people to post BS questions just to gain post count. We want people to post questions to know more about the member. Yes, there will still be BS questions, but at least it would probably be for humor.

tl;dr dont make the post count matter cus mtm is the favorite child and gains all the attention away from the other forums

herothezero
09-07-2013, 02:23 AM
I'm full of these ideas

If you truly were upset with the spamming, just get a mod/programmer/admin to tell the person to stop asking questions in MtM for blank period of time. If the user is uncomfortable or upset with a post, then that's a just reason to temporarily ban them from the section. If they post before they have permission, just infract them. If they get in banned too much OR they post a lot after being told not to, just ban them from the section permanently. This is probably a bit of a radical approach, but I think it may work. I see it much better than just eliminating postcount in general for the section in my opinion.

Blue
09-07-2013, 03:08 AM
what happens when there is more and more need for posts? The quality of it goes down. And if we keep getting MTM to have postcount, then the other forums will deteriorate too because MTM takes all the attention

By what you just said, we shouldn't have any ranks because they cause a need for posts, making quality of posts go down. I can imply that right?

And how in the hell will disabling MtM from counting towards your post count encourage better, longer posts?

I think it actually does the opposite since it incentivizes posting even shorter posts in more threads that count towards the number so they get their post count up quickly.

X!!
09-07-2013, 03:12 AM
The massive problem with your argument is that ranks exist on these forums, and people will try everything they can to increase their post count and get to the next rank, and reputation doesn't really make up for it imo. So basically, for example, you're Emerald just because you spammed in section x, and you don't really deserve that rank.

Let's face it, Ubers. People like you and me don't deserve our current ranks and should probably be in Bronze or Silver rank. I don't know if you are doing this to make yourself look like a smart person, or if you just don't want people with low intelligence to get the ranks we got when our intelligence was just as bad as theirs (or worse) at the time of getting the exact same ranks, but Zach already said a lot of times that he isn't disabling post count in the MtM section and I personally think he won't be convinced to disable post count, so you might as well stop posting these kinds of complaints.

Edit: Oh, and Ubers, if you don't want people gaining post count from AMA threads, then the least you could do is close your own AMA thread.

Zachgoose
09-07-2013, 03:53 AM
I still fail to understand why a MtM post is any worse and less deserving of inflating your post count than "i use colored pencils" or "this is my favorite fire emblem crit skill quote!"

Dabottle
09-07-2013, 10:19 AM
There's no other section for the C/S stuff! >:[

But, yes, this was proven to be a bad idea a long time ago and it's absolutely hilarious seeing Ubers suggest it.

BreeZaps
09-09-2013, 01:31 AM
It's kind of ironic cause Ubers just got ruby.

Luna
09-09-2013, 04:40 PM
It's kind of ironic cause Ubers just got ruby.
And if we decided to go with this idea (which we won't) every Ruby except Eoghan would be Emerald again! :)

Dabottle
09-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Except ranks don't go down (and are stupid anyway).

Zachgoose
09-10-2013, 10:57 PM
Yeah. Post count already gained is not lost unless the post itself is deleted.

Dabottle
09-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Total postcount isn't, but that which applies to ranks (and is shown) does, right? The problem comes from the fact that you can't actually rank down, as we saw back in the day when Silver users went below ten (I think it's ten and cba to check) rep and remained Silver.

BreeZaps
09-10-2013, 11:11 PM
I think Eyan once said that he thinks it's wrong for people with ranks to drop a rank.

Zachgoose
09-11-2013, 08:28 PM
There is no demotion mechanic implemented.

Once you reach the requirements for Silver, you become Gold. You will stay Gold unless you get banned, meet the requirements to promote into Crystal, or an admin trolls you and manually changes your rank.

Patriot
09-12-2013, 01:52 AM
just wanna jump in and silently say that i support the change

welp, imma gtfo

Gyaradomo
09-13-2013, 03:25 AM
lets just take out the middleman and make postcount not count at all anywhere
10/10 solution i should be president of america