PDA

View Full Version : Youtube is at it again.

BreeZaps
12-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Youtube decided since christmas is coming they would claim lets players youtube videos again.
Some lets players have already moved over to stream websites.

Dragonite
12-10-2013, 05:39 PM
The thing that bugs me about this:

- Nintendo is just claiming them. They're not banning people from playing them at all.
- If people are quitting just because they can't make (as much) money off them, they're doing videos for entirely the wrong reasons to begin with.

BreeZaps
12-10-2013, 05:57 PM
The thing that bugs me about this:

- Nintendo is just claiming them. They're not banning people from playing them at all.
- If people are quitting just because they can't make (as much) money off them, they're doing videos for entirely the wrong reasons to begin with.
Yes but.
Some people count on money to live. If they are in college thats a problem. A BIG PROBLEM
And believe it for not some peoples videos are being blocked. Yes they're unviewable.

There is more reasons but you don't seem to notice how big of a problem this is, so I'll stop.

And this https://twitter.com/OfficialShofu/status/410451936735789056

Cutiepuffle
12-10-2013, 05:57 PM
People love 2 things:
1. Complaining
2. Money

Personally, I could care less, but others are mad. Lol it didn't backfire on Nintendo but on Youtube. Sure people are mad at Nintendo, but they're still buying Nintendo products.

Luna
12-10-2013, 06:22 PM
I'm pretty sure this is just a glitch.

Dragonite
12-10-2013, 06:23 PM
One should never let themselves get to the point where YouTube is 100% of their income. Any business that depends primarily on the Internet is at least a little risky since it could all evaporate overnight if, say, you get hacked or your servers explode (less likely on titans like Google, but still a risk), but a second-degree relation, depending on a separate company like Google, is even worse. There could be a change in copyright law which prohibits monetization of gaming content all together: YouTube has enough people in it that they'll be losing pocket change, but could put individual people out of it completely. Your own account could get hacked: again, not likely with the layers of Google security but still a threat for the bigger people. People could simply lose interest: nobody is immune to this (just look at Eyan's own viewship history).

Edit:

https://twitter.com/OfficialShofu/status/410451936735789056

There's either something in the background of the video that was explicit enough to get flagged or there's been a glitch; in the latter case, there is a process for undoing it.

Dabottle
12-10-2013, 06:34 PM
I could care less

then please do

Ayra
12-10-2013, 07:53 PM
So, what's the issue here? Nintendo is doing something perfectly reasonable with it's own property. People shouldn't use the internet as a primary source of income (actual businesses excepted), nor should people make Youtube videos for the sole purpose of capital gain. Video production should be a hobby (actual professionals excepted), and if you actually need money, well, an actual job works fine. And anyone with the capability to make quality videos should have employment capability.

Luna
12-10-2013, 10:03 PM
It's also worth pointing out that this is not just affecting Nintendo videos, but video game videos in general. A couple of games I've heard have been flagged outside Nintendo content include GTA V and Hearthstone, both of which are technically not supposed to be affected, as Rockstar and Blizzard have given permission to make videos of these games.
Like I said, this is probably just a glitch and nothing to get worked up over.

Dabottle
12-10-2013, 10:18 PM
i thought rockstar hated lps

Roxas
12-10-2013, 11:19 PM
You know, at this point, I really don't care. You may monetize a video, if you may, and if a company wants a little bit of that money, and wants you to stop making money, offer at least 50% or more of what you make, and they'll let it slide, glitch or no glitch, if that's the case. Plus people just lp for noobs, who will be wanting that game after watching it on youtube. Therefore providing money to Nintendo/or any other company in general, from the purchase of a game. This is called free advertising. Free as in Nintendo not paying the one doing videos. But on the side, you do get money from people who just decided to click an ad stapled to a video. (Before you question why I put the word "Staple" there, I was using it in a metaphorical sense.) Do gamers deserve money, yes. The only way you're infringing copyright is if you say you own everything. Most companies let your stuff slide if you put out disclaimers, and especially if you give them the credit of the game. And if your making money off of these monetized videos, but giving a disclaimer, you're still not infringing copyright. When your video is removed for the reason of infringement, there is no logical way to backup why they did this. This is where lawyers come in, but don't expect the company to lose. There are companies out there that want to accuse infringement on videos that don't even include content. There was this one game where the company was getting bad reviews on their games from oridnary gamers, that they took there reviews down, even if no footage of the game was included. As far as money, that shouldn't matter, but this does call for Youtube to adjust the copyright things. There is a high abuse in power here, and that's pretty much Google's fault, if everyone's videos are getting removed. There needs to be a much more logical way of settling things, where there has to be actual unedited evidence to be provided that the video infringed copyright. Again, not really anyone's fault, except Google's. (That wasn't a Google+ hate thing by the way, I really don't care anout that bs).

Dabottle
12-10-2013, 11:21 PM
You know, at this point, I really don't care.
Fantastic.

massive bloody essay
never mind

Roxas
12-10-2013, 11:24 PM
Fantastic.

never mind

I get typy.

Dabottle
12-10-2013, 11:30 PM
The only way you're infringing copyright is if you say you own everything. Most companies let your stuff slide if you put out disclaimers, and especially if you give them the credit of the game. And if your making money off of these monetized videos, but giving a disclaimer, you're still not infringing copyright. When your video is removed for the reason of infringement, there is no logical way to backup why they did this.
do you have the slightest idea as how to how copyright works
(note that i'm not implying that company x is in the right, merely pointing out how little sense this makes)

Kyoits
12-10-2013, 11:42 PM
If Nintendo really wanted to just stop this and not make it an annual thing, they would just ban their games from ever being showed on YT. I seriously don't some game companies.

Roxas
12-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Maybe you can go get a copy of the law in the US where it talks about copyright and show me? I don't know, prove it. By the way, if it were a real essay, it would've been written in proper paragraph form, with FIVE PARAGRAPHS, and there wasn't enough to make five paragraphs, plus I didn't justify, let alone show any evidence that supports my claim. It's just one long claim.

Dabottle
12-10-2013, 11:54 PM
i don't think i need to look up the law to tell you that stealing isn't okay if you acknowledge that you're stealing something.
and please don't tell me that you think i was being serious, nor that an essay guide your teacher has given you is a rigid format you will follow for life.
please.

Roxas
12-10-2013, 11:58 PM
i don't think i need to look up the law to tell you that stealing isn't okay if you acknowledge that you're stealing something.
and please don't tell me that you think i was being serious, nor that an essay guide your teacher has given you is a rigid format you will follow for life.
please.

When I said IDC...I meant it, I just wanted you to get ****ed again. Lawl.

Dabottle
12-10-2013, 11:59 PM
posting an essay =/= not caring.
try again.

I'm out.

Roxas
12-11-2013, 12:04 AM
posting an essay =/= not caring.
try again.

I'm out.

I really hope you end up making a post while your drunk, one day. It's a weird wish, but yeah.

Kamex
12-11-2013, 01:33 AM
It's good that they are not taking the videos down, at least. Because if they were, that would be an idiotic move for taking something away that they really need (ESPECIALLY with the way Wii U sales have been going this past year) Free advertisement.

One reason I can think is possible that people would make less content when they realize they can't make money off of making YouTube videos regarding game play footage is the fact that instead of devoting their time into editing videos and making sure the quality is top-notch, they wouldn't have time for that anymore because they need to devote that same amount of hours that they used to make sure the picture quality is good, sound quality, cut out unnecessary things, retake some parts if you screwed up, ect. on an 8 hour per day 5-6 days a week job. So that means lazier uploads or less frequent content from many YouTubers which is hindering the experience of the viewers, AKA the people who keep the site afloat.

Dragonite
12-11-2013, 01:34 AM
You know, at this point, I really don't care. You may monetize a video, if you may, and if a company wants a little bit of that money, and wants you to stop making money, offer at least 50% or more of what you make, and they'll let it slide, glitch or no glitch, if that's the case. Plus people just lp for noobs, who will be wanting that game after watching it on youtube. Therefore providing money to Nintendo/or any other company in general, from the purchase of a game. This is called free advertising. Free as in Nintendo not paying the one doing videos. But on the side, you do get money from people who just decided to click an ad stapled to a video. (Before you question why I put the word "Staple" there, I was using it in a metaphorical sense.) Do gamers deserve money, yes. The only way you're infringing copyright is if you say you own everything. Most companies let your stuff slide if you put out disclaimers, and especially if you give them the credit of the game. And if your making money off of these monetized videos, but giving a disclaimer, you're still not infringing copyright. When your video is removed for the reason of infringement, there is no logical way to backup why they did this. This is where lawyers come in, but don't expect the company to lose. There are companies out there that want to accuse infringement on videos that don't even include content. There was this one game where the company was getting bad reviews on their games from oridnary gamers, that they took there reviews down, even if no footage of the game was included. As far as money, that shouldn't matter, but this does call for Youtube to adjust the copyright things. There is a high abuse in power here, and that's pretty much Google's fault, if everyone's videos are getting removed. There needs to be a much more logical way of settling things, where there has to be actual unedited evidence to be provided that the video infringed copyright. Again, not really anyone's fault, except Google's. (That wasn't a Google+ hate thing by the way, I really don't care anout that bs).

A couple comments.

1. I had to read that three times before understanding it. Except in some very special cases, walls of text are bad.

2. I suspect you don't understand how the copyright system and ContentID works, or the situation in general.

Nobody is forcing anyone to take videos down, except for a few unusual cases. ContentID is the system that algorithmically scans your videos and decides whether or not there's anything in there that shouldn't be, and sometimes it gets it wrong - and probably will do so more frequently now that companies - and not just Nintendo now, according to some of my sources deep within the gaming community. You can complain that having a computer inside YouTube's HQ analyze your videos is unfair, but there is a day's worth of content uploaded to YouTube every second - there is no way to manually police all that to be able to tell if someone has uploaded something like commercial music or another person's video illegally.

However, nothing happens when a video gets a ContentID flag, any ad revenue that it may generate simply goes to the owner of the flag. The video is still there, and the uploaded can stay on their merry way. The more severe copyright strikes, which are the ones that get videos removed and could get your account suspended, are manually given created and checked. In the case that someone got someone's video removed for no good reason, as with Chuggaaconroy a few years ago or more recently TotalBiscuit, there are ways of fighting these claims. Especially for the larger channels, who can have their network (Polaris, in this case) fight for them.

3. It's really not Google's fault.

Now that the world is starting to take an interest in pushing the DMCA and similar laws to the limits, they don't want to get sued by a company who doesn't think YouTube should be letting people make money off the company's product. And honestly, I'm surprised that hasn't happened years ago, since the lawsuit is the official pasttime of capitalism.

Roxas
12-11-2013, 01:54 AM
I was actually mentioning TotalBiscuit, as you said. I guess everyone loves a cynical Brit.

Aaron
12-11-2013, 01:53 PM
If I'm honest, I really don't care all that much. I've not been doing LP's as of late so this really doesn't affect me.

Rocket
12-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Some people really don't care. Others think it's a bad idea. Honestly, Nintendo? You are already one of the top video game companies in the world. You don't need more money.

Merga
12-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Some people really don't care. Others think it's a bad idea. Honestly, Nintendo? You are already one of the top video game companies in the world. You don't need more money.

However, Nintendo is still a company. What is the major goal of a company? To make more money. I don't really care what happens, but just pointing out that companies need money in order to be successful.

Roxas
12-11-2013, 11:31 PM
I heard that a few Nintendo direct videos were claimed by Sony. Now that's stuff I'd take to court.

SFB
12-12-2013, 12:13 AM
This is one of the flaws Nintendo is known for, they don't know how to communicate with the rest of the gaming community. While I know many companies are around doing copyright claims I want to talk about this in general. It seems Nintendo has a whole is very out of touch with the gaming community

Reasons:
-CRANKYYYY KONG
-Going after LPers before this situation
-WiiU doing poorly
-Iwata taking position at Nintendo of America as president

Robin
12-12-2013, 02:18 AM
Nintendo sees us hatin', they do nothin' about it....

Roxas
12-12-2013, 02:47 AM
Nintendo sees us hatin', they do nothin' about it....
Um, no. It's called the content ID stuff is just bloody horrible. Nintendo needs no blame.

Xerodragon12
12-12-2013, 10:13 PM
PSA: If your content gets "claimed" by Nintendo, you could actually contact a rep, and they can whitelist your channel, if you're affiliated with certain channels. So technically, any channel that is affiliated with Polaris/TGS or similar can be asked to get whitelisted and have the claims resolved. That is, if you are not doing anything illegal. Of couse it is important to remember that Lets Plays (or similar content) are protected under Fair Use.

Source: http://wiiudaily.com/2013/12/nintendo-youtube-content/?utm_source=buffer&utm_campaign=Buffer&utm_content=bufferba01d&utm_medium=twitter

Also, Nintendo is not at the helm of this second wave of copyright claims, just FYI.

Luna
12-14-2013, 08:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNmhfdAinVM
This is a little long (and specific to Stephen in some parts, too) but will tell you everything you should expect with this Content ID change next month, and also gives a bit of insight on what it was like before.