PDA

View Full Version : Changes to the metagame

Aaron
12-19-2013, 04:07 PM
In this thread, we will discuss changes to the competitive game. Be it items or Pokemon being banned or Pokemon being moved up/down a tier for a certain reason, we will post them here.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/kangaskhanite-is-now-banned-to-ubers.3495351/

What are your thoughts on this?

Dragonite
12-19-2013, 08:35 PM
They need to make a Mega Only metagame. I want to see people do that. Because being stupidly overpowered is fun.

Cue US20's rage in 3, 2, 1 . . .

Dabottle
12-19-2013, 08:41 PM
one pokémon each!

Kyoits
12-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Please, ban aegislash ban Mega Charizard X.

Dragonite
12-20-2013, 12:17 AM
Oh wait, I misunderstood the OP somehow. Guess I could write an essay on Mega Kanga now.

I'm with Smogon on this ban. Even if you don't let it get off a Power-up Punch, it hits with a primary 125 Attack. That's not so bad, but it also gets a secondary one off at half that power. Two hits in one turn alone is bad enough - all Focus Sashes and Sturdies are obsolete, without even trying with anything like hazards or priority. And it has priority, and a bloody strong one, in Sucker Punch. To make matters worse, it can learn Power-up Punch - which once again hits twice, giving it an immediate Swords Dance + decent Fighting type damage. After that, you saw the numbers in the tread. No Ferrothorn nor Skarmory nor Lugia nor anything else can wall it for more than a turn or two - not taking entry hazards into account, in which case most things just die upon looking at it. To make things even worse, it has Normal typing and higher defenses than a Dragonite, meaning you're probably not going to kill it before it gets off a Power-up Punch and proceeds to wreck your team. People have cited using things like Rocky Helmets on Skarmory and other defensive things to wear it down as it hits you twice, but that doesn't work against Earthquake and think: if you have to resort to something you probably wouldn't otherwise - I've only seen one or two people using Rocky Helmet Skarmory outside of this - doesn't that tell you something about being OP?

Pokemon Trainer N
12-30-2013, 07:51 AM
Now talking with the 6th gen. in general i believe gardevour will have to be moved up as it is now fairy/psychic , as it is now in my book considered a giant threat to the dragon and poison types, as long as it can outspeed the poison, which usually isn't that hard

As For the Kangaskhanite it did indeed deserve the ban , and i suspect many other mega evo's will follow very quickly. Mega Lucario With a strong attack stat already and priority , swords dance/ power up puch = GG.

Following this i fully expect aegislash to get banned at some point , it can be utterly overwhelming ,king's to lower attack , then swords dance , then possibly Another king's or swords dance , combined with STAB. shadow sneak , i believe there is a fine line between good , and broken.

Now , My opions on the weather nerf - Well done gamefreak. In my opinion this makes battleing more interesting , with the damp rock items, and multiple setters, it really adds a layer to weather that really wasn't there before.uy

A few quick note to a few rising stars -

Azumarill - This guy is so fun to play. Huge power gives it exactly that , STAB. water and fairy moves , Priority in aqua jet, What more is there to ask for? Well less weaknesses, choice band could allow a sweeper to set up , poison and easily countered grass , electeric weakness , and 50 base speed , Easily revenge killed

Charizard - With his megas this beloved started has risen again. He can set sun with his y form, or finally get his dragon typing in x form. naturally i see y as more usefull and the most likly to make a splash. Major Sp. attack and sun is enough to make charizard a valid option

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i'll add more later as i begin to see more openings , also when i have more time XD