PDA

View Full Version : Reviving the forums

Blade Lord Nayru
01-07-2014, 02:47 PM
Having the forums used by around 20 people isn't really much(didn't bother counting, this is just a random guess). So I was wondering what we could do to fix that? Maybe recommend some friends here, have them recommend some friends and so on... active forums serve more of an attraction, so it would be easier as more people joined. If we could get Eyan some more fans, maybe his Twitch views would rise, and he would get partnership. Maybe. Anyways, it's worth a shot.

I don't feel like having one post that the entire thread revolves around is a good idea, considering the topic. So, what are your ideas?

Xerodragon12
01-08-2014, 06:26 AM
It's only really dead over the school year. Over the summer, the forums log at about 200 active users (Just an estimate). Just saying.

Blade Lord Nayru
01-08-2014, 09:12 AM
It's only really dead over the school year. Over the summer, the forums log at about 200 active users (Just an estimate). Just saying.

Well, ignore me then.

Roxas
01-08-2014, 10:05 PM
This is a **** idea, Dratini.

Blade Lord Nayru
01-08-2014, 10:13 PM
Well, glad I included the poll option then.

Ayra
01-08-2014, 10:33 PM
This is a **** idea. For one, why would I subject my friends to this kind of place? I mean, they'd appreciate it if I took them to the movies, or a restaurant, or a strip club, not a random web forum the might not even like. Also, why would I put forth the effort to bring people here when I have other things to do with my life?

Blade Lord Nayru
01-08-2014, 10:54 PM
You don't have to be so rude about it (I'm automatically assuming you mean this in a rude way).

thelastsane
01-08-2014, 11:12 PM
This seems like work and I don't really have friends..... I like the idea though

Ayra
01-08-2014, 11:16 PM
You don't have to be so rude about it (I'm automatically assuming you mean this in a rude way).
Well, I'm not being rude to you personally, but I am attacking your idea because it is horrible. I'm also an overall somewhat rude person, so if you ever feel I come across as rude, it's nothing against you personally, as I do it whenever someone brings up something this ridiculous.

Shaymin
01-08-2014, 11:20 PM
While I also think that bringing friends to the forum is a bad idea, it doesn't hurt to ask. If they say no, it's completely fine. It's not like this is a forum out to be popular.

Blade Lord Nayru
01-08-2014, 11:24 PM
whenever someone brings up something this ridiculous.
I always bring up something ridiculous. You might have to get used to it. Might.

It's not like this is a forum out to be popular.
True, but I'd like a bit more activity. I feel like I'm mostly by myself here, and earlier today that was actually true.

Dabottle
01-08-2014, 11:45 PM
This thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMX00jdY5AU

and how is wanting more activity "ridiculous"

Dragonite
01-09-2014, 12:16 AM
Most of my friends are 19 and 20 and play Call of Duty and Battlefield, so I suspect bringing them anywhere near here is a bad idea, but whatever.

Also the Twitch partnership is a wee bit of a stretch, at least for now, since most of my sources say you need something like eleven times more viewers consistantly for that.

BreeZaps
01-09-2014, 01:09 AM
I showed 2 of my friends this place back in 2012 when the forums first opened.
Not bringing anymore people here.
I wish OshawottLuv49 would come back tho.

No.
01-09-2014, 03:59 AM
I don't think there's really much you can do to revive a forum, let's just be honest here. How long has this forum been around anyway? You can invite all the people you want but they'll only stay if they really want to and like the place, you can't force them to stay and make productive posts against their will. Activity will naturally come if people come to this site and maybe take a liking to its people. Isn't this forum basically just a tight-knit group of posters that stick around because of the others here? Why is saving the forum such a big problem anyway? Just add each other on Skype or whatever and talk there or something, I dunno.

Maybe I'm just being shallow though. SuperSkarmory is evidently keeping this forum around and paying for it right?

I guess I can stick around if you need another poster or something though.

Merga
01-09-2014, 04:03 AM
Everybody should be able to learn that the amount of members that a community has doesn't make a community, but it's the members that make a community. You really can invite as many people as you want here, but nothing will change.

No.
01-09-2014, 04:06 AM
Everybody should be able to learn that the amount of members that a community has doesn't make a community, but it's the members that make a community. You really can invite as many people as you want here, but nothing will change.

Precisely what I was saying. I really don't understand why sometimes people ask for others to advertise or otherwise artificially inflate a forum's user count when there's already an active and solid community.

Dragonite
01-09-2014, 04:07 AM
Maybe I'm just being shallow though. SuperSkarmory is evidently keeping this forum around and paying for it right?

As I heard him describe it once, this place is "in limbo between getting shut down and being kept alive," especially since Google decided to deny ads to pay for it and whatnot for some reason :/

So sure, it'd be awesome if superskarmory.net stays alive forever, but . . . eh.

Roxas
01-09-2014, 04:17 AM
As I heard him describe it once, this place is "in limbo between getting shut down and being kept alive," especially since Google decided to deny ads to pay for it and whatnot for some reason :/

So sure, it'd be awesome if superskarmory.net stays alive forever, but . . . eh.

If it doesn't work out, maybe you guys could transfer over to my forums I recently made. :)

P. S. Dragonite gets to be my super awesome mega admin, if he wants.

Patriot
01-09-2014, 11:30 PM
this forum has already been on decline anyways

give it another 2 years at best and it'll fade away

Dabottle
01-09-2014, 11:41 PM

i said this two and a half years ago
someone else definitely said it three and a half years ago
and even four
probably five too

eyanland never dies

*someone/i = many people

Aaron
01-09-2014, 11:51 PM

Wouldn't even give it that long, if I'm honest.

Bricktoad
01-10-2014, 01:22 AM
okay just thought that i would throw my opinion in here so yay
alright so inviting friends in here is a good idea because it does give ss forums more members but it wouldn't really make a big difference because none of us really have friends that would bother with forums in general.
also, this is one of those forums where people can join if they like and chill and have fun but being popular isn't quite the idea of it. the forums aren't exactly dead, they're just not as active as they were before
but the thing is, pretty much all of the people who joined are ss fans already and joining the forums wouldn't make much of a difference. plus like 60% of the forum members aren't exactly "fans" anymore.
and if i can, coming out with "this is a four asterisked word idea" (or anything else similar to that) isn't exactly saying anything about dratini's idea or yours. it's a good idea to want to invite new members and keep the threads going and stuff like that. doesn't really say much about anything other than yourself.
so yeah i hope some of that made sense. ss forums are just kind of there and have people

brecot
01-10-2014, 03:02 AM
Actually, I, myself have been enjoying not being here every hour. I'm not the person to force someone else to do something like this, nor am I doing any sort of bribery. So I say, let them be.

Qwerty
01-10-2014, 08:14 AM
Pretty sure a large portion of the older members got bored and pretty much left. People like me just check in every once in a while. Not enough active people to keep most newer users so it's just the same, small group of members that actually stay now.

Red
01-14-2014, 02:03 PM
This is a **** idea. For one, why would I subject my friends to this kind of place? I mean, they'd appreciate it if I took them to the movies, or a restaurant, or a strip club, not a random web forum the might not even like. Also, why would I put forth the effort to bring people here when I have other things to do with my life?

This is a **** idea, Dratini.

People like you are why this forum is turning into cancer.

X!!
01-19-2014, 11:13 AM
I'm late, but I at least want to post my opinion on this.

Before I say anything else, let me just say that a poll wasn't even necessary. If you want to invite your friends, then just do it. You don't need a poll result to tell you whether to invite people or not. Anyway, most of the active users here joined this forum only because of the "nostalgia". To my knowledge, it has been a few years since the veterans actually had fun in one of Eyan's forums. Almost none of us care about Eyan's videos or Twitch streams. Since most of the active members here are pretty old, there'd be a *insert number that is less than ten*% chance that we'd have any friends who would be interested in this forum.

Dratini, if you feel like you're the only one online because of timezone differences, then what good will it do if we "invite our friends" when they'll still be in a different timezone compared to you? And even if we (by "we", I mean the older people here) did invite our friends, do you really think a good number of them would know anything about Nintendo games? What if the result of inviting our friends is a forum full of "*******s" who talk about first person shooters all day? Do you think your idea made a positive change to this site? I think some of us will have friends in real life making fun of us because we tried to invite them to a "kid's forum" instead of having a better community. If you want friends, then go pm some people who seem like they'll be nice to you.

Frankly, I think having a lot of members isn't really a good thing. I have attempted to join big forums such as Marriland's forum and PokeCommunity. I felt like I have been overshadowed by the thousands of threads and the millions of posts. I was considered as another member who is just there and will probably be gone after a day or two. If this forum ever becomes something like that, then I would much rather leave.

I was really happy when I first joined this forum, because I felt like I was actually a person who stood out in a crowd instead of someone who was just there (Well, maybe it was because I was a 13-year-old fanboy who didn't know any better, but still. :P), and as a result, I came back everyday. These past two years gave me great experiences with great people, and I would prefer to have people who would willingly log on here and have fun rather than people who are just here to do their friend a favor and post. Even people like Aura are more fun to spend time with than people who would just be there because their friend told him to.

"The amount of members that a community has doesn't make a community, but it's the members that make a community." - Merga
quoting merga because it's so inspirational in 3.928103 ways.

Blade Lord Nayru
01-19-2014, 11:34 AM
I'm late, but I at least want to post my opinion on this.

Before I say anything else, let me just say that a poll wasn't even necessary. If you want to invite your friends, then just do it. You don't need a poll result to tell you whether to invite people or not. Anyway, most of the active users here joined this forum only because of the "nostalgia". To my knowledge, it has been a few years since the veterans actually had fun in one of Eyan's forums. Almost none of us care about Eyan's videos or Twitch streams. Since most of the active members here are pretty old, there'd be a *insert number that is less than ten*% chance that we'd have any friends who would be interested in this forum.

Dratini, if you feel like you're the only one online because of timezone differences, then what good will it do if we "invite our friends" when they'll still be in a different timezone compared to you? And even if we (by "we", I mean the older people here) did invite our friends, do you really think a good number of them would know anything about Nintendo games? What if the result of inviting our friends is a forum full of "*******s" who talk about first person shooters all day? Do you think your idea made a positive change to this site? I think some of us will have friends in real life making fun of us because we tried to invite them to a "kid's forum" instead of having a better community. If you want friends, then go pm some people who seem like they'll be nice to you.

Frankly, I think having a lot of members isn't really a good thing. I have attempted to join big forums such as Marriland's forum and PokeCommunity. I felt like I have been overshadowed by the thousands of threads and the millions of posts. I was considered as another member who is just there and will probably be gone after a day or two. If this forum ever becomes something like that, then I would much rather leave.

I was really happy when I first joined this forum, because I felt like I was actually a person who stood out in a crowd instead of someone who was just there (Well, maybe it was because I was a 13-year-old fanboy who didn't know any better, but still. :P), and as a result, I came back everyday. These past two years gave me great experiences with great people, and I would prefer to have people who would willingly log on here and have fun rather than people who are just here to do their friend a favor and post. Even people like Aura are more fun to spend time with than people who would just be there because their friend told him to.

"The amount of members that a community has doesn't make a community, but it's the members that make a community." - Merga
quoting merga because it's so inspirational in 3.928103 ways.

I don't think there's anything else to say.
I was actually a member of PokeCommunity for a while, and then I just stopped for whatever reason.