PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo shutting down Wi-Fi for DS/Wii

Flubbs
02-28-2014, 09:06 PM
http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/vyWpoM6CBIe6FjW8NIY7bvzOrgBURhzw

On May 20th, Nintendo will be shutting down all Wi-Fi services for the Wii and the DS/DSi. All games that are for those consoles will no longer be able to access online features. Offline play, the Wii Shop Channel, and the DSi shop will not be affected be this.

Thoughts? I think it's sad to see the online for those consoles go since they were all I used to play, but I don't play Wii or DS games online anymore besides the occasional Black/White.

Dragonite
02-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Wait, there isn't a thread about this already?

This was bound to happen sooner or later. We've been in the 8th gen for quite a while now, I'm honestly surprised things like the Diamond/Platinum WiFi services have lasted even this long.

Sad to know that for the first time since 7th grade I won't be able to go home and play Mario Kart Wii WiFi, though. Time to get a Wii U/good at MK7.

Edit: here's (http://victoryroad.net/showpost.php?p=291402&postcount=13) a bit of semi-informative reading about the old Nintendo WFC service host, if you're interested.

Dabottle
02-28-2014, 09:28 PM
rip feds wi-fi shop
and wi-fi battling

not that i did (or even could do) either of them anyway

Judge Mandolore Shepard
02-28-2014, 11:09 PM
Well it was fun while it lasted. Who knows, some might resist the shut down, like the "Noble 14" who resisted the shut down of the Halo 2 servers on Xbox Live on the original Xbox.

Sean
03-01-2014, 12:52 AM
R.I.P Those Pokemon Plat. Mini games.

Robin
03-01-2014, 12:31 PM
Wait no more Mario Kart Wii online racing? NOOOOOOOOOO.
:mariok:
Stupid Nintendo.

Roxas
03-01-2014, 02:08 PM
Give them about twenty years and they'll say "Hey Nintendo fans! Big news! We're opening wifi services for the wii and ds so you can relive those classic and fun moments forever!"

Kitty
05-26-2014, 05:22 AM
Two words: THIS SUCKS. Come on Nintendo we don't want to be overruled by your cheapness! We paid for Wii/DS and we want the features! Don't make us spend.

Luna
05-26-2014, 11:14 AM
Two words: THIS SUCKS. Come on Nintendo we don't want to be overruled by your cheapness! We paid for Wii/DS and we want the features! Don't make us spend.
Nintendo is not in as much control of this as you think. The provider for NWFC, GameSpy, was bought by another company, and thus has to shut down all of its servers. Even if Nintendo was in complete control, they would have to go down eventually anyway as it's not free to provide Wifi, and on the scale they were providing it it would have caused a bloody fortune, and very people were using it anyway (NWFC was kind of complete ****, lol).

ShadowMr.L
05-26-2014, 12:39 PM
Although I don't really play much on my Wii (it's broken) and my old DS (the buttons are hard to press to make them do what you want), seeing this really upsets me.

I had some great times playing the Online aspect of a lot of my old games. I understand why they did it, but I'm still pretty disappointed.

herothezero
06-01-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm sort of sad because online MKWii is a great time and I was playing as much due to school and social life and stuff, so that's all I miss. But it does make sense because both those consoles were made nearly 10 years ago and they have more modern versions of the DS/Wii.

SuperSceptile
06-01-2014, 01:37 PM
I can play Mario Kart 8 online, so I don't care about the Wii wifi. However, pokegening over GTS in BW 2 is impossible now.

Kyoits
06-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Only sad thing about this would have to be the loss of online battles on SSBB.

SuperPikachuTNT
06-01-2014, 06:38 PM
I already knew this however I will say my reaction when I first got the news.
"NO NOT MY POKEGEN!!!!!!!"

Kitty
06-14-2014, 11:22 AM
I hate this. Nintendo.... you are ruining your own business.

Hopefully you can put these games in your 3DS and it'll work but I'm a little worried about how Nintendo will keep their business.

For now,
Screw You~

sonriopoby123
07-02-2014, 01:13 PM
literally turned my ds on yesterday and trid to connect but no luck wtf nintendo bw2 werent even that old

Dragonite
07-02-2014, 09:56 PM
i thought this had been established already but apparently not.

Guys, Nintendo isn't the ones shutting down WiFi. The company that hosted the servers is the ones who decided they wanted out with it. If they wanted to they might have been able to integrate it with the current online service, but given that the technology's a good nine years old and the games that used them have more recent versions anyway (or will within several months), there really wasn't a point.

If you really want to play Mario Kart and Brawl on the Wii again, and possibly some others in the future, you might consider having a look at this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqFtklrXY9M).

However, pokegening over GTS in BW 2 is impossible now.

R4s are awesome : )