PDA

View Full Version : (Temporarily) censored words on the chatbox?

UbersSuck20
03-22-2014, 07:57 PM
It's just my opinion, but I think that the following words should be banned from the chatbox. Warning, the words are not safe for work.

"*****"
"****"
"*******"
"sperm"
"Sieg Heil!"

Here are the reasons:
The first four are, well, not safe for work. There are children on the forums.
The Nazi salute can offend German users and will tell us that you love Adolf Hitler, and we all know that he was one of the most evil leaders the world has ever seen. Also, it's risky for a German, Austrian or Czech user to see this, especially in a non-private space, as it's considered a crime in those countries.

Now, the following words should, in my opinion, be censored as well, although temporarily. I guess Lyra, Bree and Dratini will be really mad at me if this passes, but I think they're overused and very annoying.
"meow"
"rawr"
"meep"

Update March 24th: You guys convinced me on the annoying words part. But the other words I've mentioned should still be banned in my opinion.

Opinions on this?

Ayra
03-22-2014, 08:14 PM
I approve when it comes to the past three words.

BreeZaps
03-22-2014, 10:32 PM
I don't agree with the overuse words thing. It's a saying that I say all the time and even if you ban it I'm still going to say it out of habit.

Plus if that annoys you then that's very sad since it doesn't even matter

INB4 big fight. That will happen cause people LOVE TO overreact.

Dragonite
03-23-2014, 12:50 AM
ban the term "*****," and the idiots will just hop on Urban Dictionary and come up with like fifty not-banned euphemisms for it. Recursively. Yeah, have fun with that.

Merga
03-23-2014, 03:12 AM
First off, how many people do you know are German/Jewish on this website?

Second, I haven't really seen anybody spam any of these words. I don't think that we need to put a censor on those words. Besides, if anybody said "Seig Heil" in the chatbox just to offend someone/people, I would ban them in a heartbeat.

UbersSuck20
03-23-2014, 08:29 AM
I don't agree with the overuse words thing. It's a saying that I say all the time and even if you ban it I'm still going to say it out of habit.

Plus if that annoys you then that's very sad since it doesn't even matter

INB4 big fight. That will happen cause people LOVE TO overreact.

That annoys us because it's annoying!

Tbh, "meow" is the second most annoying word, after "meep". I know you love cats, Bree, but that doesn't mean you have to go and spam "meow" like those bots spamming on PS!. I can remember at least two instances where you typed "meow" like six or seven times in a row in 5 seconds.

Meep is even more annoying because of its "versatility", especially when Lyra says it once in 10 minutes.

Also, Merga, I don't know any German or Jewish users, but what if, someday, one user from Germany or Israel will join the forums?

Dabottle
03-23-2014, 01:43 PM
who needs freedom of speech anyway

Roxas
03-23-2014, 01:55 PM
who needs freedom of speech anyway

Let's go to monocle manhunt. No pointless censorship there.

BreeZaps
03-23-2014, 02:01 PM
I can remember at least two instances where you typed "meow" like six or seven times in a row in 5 seconds.

Now you're just making up things. Stop please. And even if I did that it's been like months.

Also, Merga, I don't know any German or Jewish users, but what if, someday, one user from Germany or Israel will join the forums?

Look Ubers, these forums are dying. It's highly unlikely someone would join now. And if someone DID join it would be someone from the US or Canada. And they might leave and join all the other inactive accounts.
PLUS I have NEVER EVER seen anyone use those words so why should we?

Let's go to monocle manhunt. No pointless censorship there.

If I wasn't still banned. Muffin said that it was only a week ban and it's been months :(

Roxas
03-23-2014, 02:16 PM
Screw Muffin. Beg Lord Dolphin for mercy. And will you please unlock my account. I had it created months ago, and nothing has been validated.

Aaron
03-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Look, Ubers these forums are dying. It's highly unlikely someone would join now.

Except for the fact that we get at least one new member every 1-2 days.

BreeZaps
03-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Except for the fact that we get at least one new member every 1-2 days.

And they never stay.

Aaron
03-23-2014, 02:29 PM
Some do. Remember Sceptile?

Roxas
03-23-2014, 02:31 PM
Some do. Remember Sceptile?
I scared him off because I talked about wankers.

UbersSuck20
03-23-2014, 04:06 PM
Look Ubers, these forums are dying. It's highly unlikely someone would join now. And if someone DID join it would be someone from the US or Canada. And they might leave and join all the other inactive accounts.
PLUS I have NEVER EVER seen anyone use those words so why should we?

I stopped reading after that sentence.

You do realize Germany has a population of 80 million, right? That's more than twice than the population of Canada and about one third the population of USA. I also forgot to mention the Nazi salute is forbidden in Austria as well, and we had TuxGamer (although he's no longer active). So, what point are you trying to state by saying "and if someone did join it would be someone from US or Canada"? Sceptile, for example, is British, and he joined the forums recently.

Also, don't say people are going to leave after one or two days, because some do actually stay here.

Merga
03-23-2014, 04:35 PM
I stopped reading after that sentence.

You do realize Germany has a population of 80 million, right? That's more than twice than the population of Canada and about one third the population of USA. I also forgot to mention the Nazi salute is forbidden in Austria as well, and we had TuxGamer (although he's no longer active). So, what point are you trying to state by saying "and if someone did join it would be someone from US or Canada"? Sceptile, for example, is British, and he joined the forums recently.

Also, don't say people are going to leave after one or two days, because some do actually stay here.

The point is that something crawled up your ******* one day and you were like "you know what, I'm going to complain about a problem that really isn't a problem, and people will waste their time to change the problem". I really don't think that this is a problem. If somebody said any of these words everyday, then I would see how this is a problem, but to me, I think you're just nitpicking a little bit.

UbersSuck20
03-23-2014, 04:43 PM
It starts to become a problem in my eyes, especially in the case of the last three words (and, if you read the OP, you saw that imo these last words should be censored only temporarily, for three months or so if you'd ask me).

I don't want to turn these forums into some sort of dictatorship, but c'mon, these words are used too often and, in most cases, without a point. We'll see what Zach decides.

Dragonite
03-23-2014, 05:15 PM
1. See, unlike the words you'll hear in any given conversation with X, "meep" and "meow" and "nya~" and whatever else don't hurt anyone. They don't mean anything. If anything, they're some peoples' way of saying hello. I've never seen them anywhere besides the chatbox and VM messages. How is that a problem? Are you worried about getting flooded out of the chatbox or something? It's not even possible to post count spam in those places.

2. I could count the number of times I've seen anyone salute Hitler on my nose and have space left over.

3. Seriously, you realize how many synonyms there are for words like "*******," right? Also, sperm is part of biology. Want to ban talk about eggs, too?

Luna
03-23-2014, 05:17 PM
the first three words... meh, i guess, but if it was up to me then the censorship would be gone entirely
censoring 'sperm' is stupid because it has precisely 0 sexual connotations
you'd have to be a pathetic ****er to even think of saying 'sieg heil' to offend anyway (if you're interested, 'sieg heil' means 'hail to victory' and was a term coined by joeseph goebbels in a nazi meeting one time)
and you'd have to be pathetic to be bothered by people saying 'meep', 'meow' and 'rawr' (and they could be mistaken for actual swear words)

UbersSuck20
03-23-2014, 05:33 PM
you'd have to be a pathetic ****er to even think of saying 'sieg heil' to offend anyway (if you're interested, 'sieg heil' means 'hail to victory' and was a term coined by joeseph goebbels in a nazi meeting one time)

Yeah, and this is precisely why I want "Sieg Heil!" censored.

3. Seriously, you realize how many synonyms there are for words like "*******," right? Also, sperm is part of biology. Want to ban talk about eggs, too?

Yes, but most people do not use the synonyms and go on the "cheaper" way (at least in Romania, don't know about USA or UK but I'm pretty sure it's the same). Sperm may be part of biology, but so are many organs that should not be discussed on forums like SS, therefore shouldn't we ban discussion about biology? And there's a reason it's censored from many games (eg: Pokemon Black and White (2)).

Luna
03-23-2014, 05:53 PM
Yeah, and this is precisely why I want "Sieg Heil!" censored.
something i forgot to mention is that 'Sieg Heil!' is so easily mispelled to something like "sig hail" or "zeeg hile" (being german and not english) that it's not worth doing anyway

UbersSuck20
03-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Yeah, such as...

Besides, if anybody said "Seig Heil" in the chatbox just to offend someone/people, I would ban them in a heartbeat.

(No offence, Merga.)

We could ban some misspelled variants of "Sieg Heil!" as well, such as Sig Hail, Zig Hail, Zig Heil and so on.

But yeah, "Sieg Heil!" could be seen as a discriminiation against Jews, which the rules strictly prohibit. I personally think it's better to just censor it.

and yes i know the rules are seriously outdated

Xerodragon12
03-23-2014, 06:32 PM
When would "Sieg Heil" be used in any casual conversation aside from this one, and any discussion about WW2 or Nazi Germany?

Aaron
03-23-2014, 07:11 PM
Guys!
I just had an idea.
We could,
ya know,
not do this.

Flubbs
03-23-2014, 11:05 PM
"*****" - no.
"****" - is what you're being about this whole thing
"*******" - Pretty sure this thread is the only place where this word can be found on the forums, so why is this a problem?
"sperm" - is something I learned about in school.
"sieg heil" - anyone who would honestly use this to try and offend someone is truly a sad person and would quickly be banned.

Censorship is dumb, especially on the internet. Not exactly sure when these words became a problem, but I think they're fine as they are.

Minntul
03-24-2014, 02:15 AM
censoring sieg heil is completely unecessary

anyone set of words can be used to be as equally offensive without needing to switch to german to say so

Shantae
03-24-2014, 07:26 AM
Now, the following words should, in my opinion, be censored as well, although temporarily. I guess Lyra, Bree and Dratini will be really mad at me if this passes, but I think they're overused and very annoying.
"meow"
"rawr"
"meep"

I'm surprised that you didn't add "Dot." in this list. I would've go crazy at you.
But I still fail to see a legitimate reason why those overused words should be censored. I think you're just mad because those words are so annoying.

Besides, why do you care?
At least they're not spamming.

---

"*****"
"****"
"*******"
"sperm" < Rawr note: are you kidding me?
"Sieg Heil!"

As some people already said, I don't see so many users saying those words and if they say in a offensive matter, then the moderators will ban them. It's simple as that, but imo I don't think they should be censored because it can be also held a discussion. Censorship is dumb at times, but as long people in this forum don't use abuse those words for their stupid fun entertainment purposes.

UbersSuck20
03-24-2014, 08:30 AM
I'm surprised that you didn't add "Dot." in this list. I would've go crazy at you.
But I still fail to see a legitimate reason why those overused words should be censored. I think you're just mad because those words are so annoying.

Besides, why do you care?
At least they're not spamming.

---

As some people already said, I don't see so many users saying those words and if they say in a offensive matter, then the moderators will ban them. It's simple as that, but imo I don't think they should be censored because it can be also held a discussion. Censorship is dumb at times, but as long people in this forum don't use abuse those words for their stupid fun entertainment purposes.
A discussion that would hurt children if it's on the chatbox. Those words prove the censor system is really bad as of now and that it should be updated.

I've changed my stance on the annoying words. I no longer want them banned.

However, I still think the NSFW words should be censored.
Flubbs made some good points, but ultimately they still affect little kids. And despite how rare the saying "Sieg Heil!" may be, it's still an offense that's considered nsfw in Germany, and therefore could affect German users.

Minntul
03-24-2014, 08:35 AM
you know whats also nsfw in other languages

a lot of stuff

this is mainly an english speaking forum to begin with

there is absolutely no place on the internet that is safe from innapropriate content and anybody who is offended from sexual words is going to have a tough time growing up

Zachgoose
03-24-2014, 11:37 PM
I do feel that most of those words have been used for the first time in the history of this forum in this thread.

Shaymin
03-25-2014, 12:19 AM
"*****"
"****"
"*******"

All words that I think only X would say in casual conversation. I don't really know how often he's on the forums, so...

"sperm"

Honestly, I think of this as more of a term that you would use to talk about human biology or something. In my opinion, banning it would be the equivalent of banning a trigger word.

"Sieg Heil!"

They say "ignorance is bliss", so bringing the phrase up at all was probably a bad idea. That is, unless it was a problem in the past.

Xerodragon12
03-25-2014, 02:10 AM
"Sieg Heil" was never a problem. In fact, I've NEVER seen "Sieg Heil" be used in the chatbox or the forums outside of this conversation. Sperm is a stupid thing to censor, because it's a biological term, and it's going to turn up a lot if you decide to go into animal science or medicine. Using "*****", "****", and "*******" is stupid, because no one uses those terms outside of X, and this conversation.

Dragonite
03-25-2014, 02:43 AM
One search:

http://i.imgur.com/Z83sqFN.png

Two results:

http://i.imgur.com/cITKMGI.png

And both were out of context with this proposition:

Welcome back Ubers. As you can see, not much has changed around here. Please enjoy your stay here at SS. Now if you will excuse me, HEIL THE MIGHTY UBER TIER!!!

I have no army. I am the original greeny who has gained many followers trying to replicate me, trying to become better than me, trying to BE me!
All attempts are futile. I am your leader, your master, your god... All wannabes and enemies will be perished, sooner or later.
Heil Mental.

UbersSuck20
03-25-2014, 05:57 AM
They say "ignorance is bliss", so bringing the phrase up at all was probably a bad idea. That is, unless it was a problem in the past.

"Sieg Heil!" was a huge problem in the past, and it's still a problem in ex-Nazi and German-speaking countries. I just found out that "Sieg Heil!" is banned in the Czech Republic as well.

Dragonite
03-25-2014, 06:06 AM
"Sieg Heil!" was a huge problem in the past, and it's still a problem in ex-Nazi and German-speaking countries. I just found out that "Sieg Heil!" is banned in the Czech Republic as well.

One search:

http://i.imgur.com/Z83sqFN.png

Two results:

http://i.imgur.com/cITKMGI.png

Obviously. Want to ban the term "injun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_American_name_controversy#Other)," too, even though it's never been used here either but is clearly such a equally widespread problem?

sonriopoby123
03-25-2014, 06:32 AM

is there some reason as to why you're comparing this forum to the Czech Republic

guys just censor the damn thing nobody's going to say it anyways and ubers will be happy because that's what he wants and we should do what he wants

Roxas
03-25-2014, 09:05 AM
We have one stubborn wanker named ubers.

Shaymin
03-25-2014, 11:21 AM

Whoops, sorry. I meant the history of the forums.

Xerodragon12
03-25-2014, 04:59 PM
Ubers, you're not from Germany or ex-Nazi countries. Why do you really care about "Sieg Heil" being a problem? We won't ban "Sieg Heil" unless it's used in an offensive manner, and it's never been a problem on the forums before you brought it up.

UbersSuck20
03-25-2014, 06:03 PM
Actually, Romania was at one point a country influenced by Hitler (1935-1944) and fought alongside the German forces until August 23th.

I'm just going to lock this thread since I can't get anywhere with this.