PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had to fix 3DS shoulder buttons?

Dragonite
04-09-2014, 03:03 AM
My R button stopped responding some time ago, and I'm wondering if anyone here has ever had to fix their L and R before on their own and how they did it. I know this isn't a tech forum, but the general consensus of Google searches is that the best way to fix your 3DS L and R buttons is to (a) not break them or (b) send them off for repairs, so I figured I'd ask here.

As a note, 3DS shoulder buttons do NOT work the same as the last-generation handhelds do.

Dabottle
04-09-2014, 03:30 PM
I remember looking up a guide for the X button and the solution being to remove literally every other component first.
However, I don't even see anything about being able to remove the shoulder buttons, so I think you're right. :/

Dragonite
04-09-2014, 04:03 PM
I've done shoulder buttons on older DSes and X buttons and stuff before, they're basically mechanical things that may occasionally get knocked out of position. But the 3DS L and R have electronics inside them for whatever reason, and I have no idea what to do with a broken one. The most I can find for DIY is to clean them with a toothbrush or buy new ones and replace them yourself, but I'd rather not stick a toothbrush in my 3DS if I can avoid it and I have no guarantee that buying new buttons will fix the problem.

Aaron
04-09-2014, 05:08 PM
You're more than likely gonna have to send it off for repairs. It was easier to fix them on DSis and stuff like that, but like you said it's different for 3DSes.

sonriopoby123
04-09-2014, 08:19 PM
my R button stopped working after luigis mansion 2

i would like an answer to this too please

SuperSceptile
04-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Idk.
I've never broken them, even on my old DS, and I 100 percented luigi's mansion 2.

Luna
04-22-2014, 08:38 PM
I'm having the same problem. Try blowing in the slot and see if that helps; it helped with one of my buttons (both shoulder buttons are ****ed for me, I may end up getting an XL at some point as a result) but not with the other. Otherwise, I have no clue.

Blade Lord Nayru
04-22-2014, 11:04 PM
Try not breaking them
Mine work fine, I've had my DS for 4 or 5 years now and 3DS for about 2 or 3, and they've never broken.

EDIT: It's a DSi

Dragonite
04-22-2014, 11:57 PM
DSi and 3DS shoulder buttons are complicated things that have way too many wires/moving parts inside them, unlike the DS and DS Lite (which are basically stubby bits of plastic that pokes a sensor when they're pressed). Lots of times one of the many pieces wears out or a little bit of dust gets inside something, and the whole thing's wrecked. Sometimes blowing on it works, sometimes it doesn't, depends on what's wrong with it.

http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/HrSOIsdfErPPOSqg.medium

Kitty
06-14-2014, 11:48 AM
My DSi failed me. : (
I learned a pretty good tip:
You blow into the buttons and hopefully the dust, blocking the pushing of the button(s), will get blown away. This doesn't work ; ), worth a try though.
My DS and 3DS have remained faithful.