PDA

View Full Version : A word from Merga about post quality

Merga
05-02-2014, 11:20 PM
You know what has been making me uneasy lately? The amount of effort in some of the posts that is being made in most of the threads as of late. It wasn't making me mad at first, but when Zach decided to change the rules about rank, that is when I've noticed the problem. I know this is a problem that nobody cares about right now because it has always been a problem, but it's getting to the point where I want to infract people on every bad post that they make. Trust me, I don't want to infract people. It's just a waste of time, and the worst part is dealing with the ones who PM you after you give the infraction (to those of you that do, stop).

Why do people do this? For a fancy new color on their name? For popularity? For an AMA? Let me get started on why the first two motivations are null. Who the hell cares? Who cares what your color is? Who cares about how long you have been on this site. I think that some of the newer people that have only been here for a week are better members than some of the people now. Why? Because their introduction posts are 10 times better than some of the stuff that others put on a discussion thread. Discussion threads are meant for discussion, not to put 1-3 word statements that contribute nothing to the conversation.

Now we get to the main topic, AMAs. This is probably the #1 motivator in rank advancement, just to have a thread where people ask silly questions about you. I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all, some of the questions that I get are either good or fun, and I love answering to you guys. However, I believe that if you are just making random posts that contribute nothing to the thread at hand just to boost your post count, then you don't deserve the thread. If you want my opinion, AMAs should only be for Rubys and up (maybe put in a select few of Emeralds as well). When AMAs first started, it was only for Crystals, since very few people were crystal rank at the time. This made a special group of people that were not only active members, but good members as well. Now that literally anybody can achieve Crystal with how easy people can get rep and how low the rep requirements are, anybody can start an AMA, even people who I don't think deserve one in the first place. Only because you can get repped 5 times from a person who is Emerald and still meet the requirements.

All I ask of you guys is to stop ****posting. Actually put effort in your posts and contribute to the topic at hand. I have a set of golden rules that determines a good post:

1. If the post contributes nothing, it's a bad post, do not post.
2. If the post is barely a sentence, it's a bad post, do not post.
3. If you have to write /10char and it's not in PFG, it's a bad post, do not post.

Locking this thread in case other staff members want to add.