PDA

View Full Version : new requirements for AMA

Roxas
05-04-2014, 06:01 PM
I think that the AMA should be opened to anyone who has been here for a certain period of time, and is a frequent user. Trying to be crystal is getting harder for me, and I want to make an AMA. It should be decided by how long and frequent a user has been on here, and not by their rank.

Luna
05-04-2014, 06:05 PM
I think that the AMA should be opened to anyone who has been here for a certain period of time, and is a frequent user.
This is precisely why it is crystal rank and up. To prove you're active and have been here for a certain period of time...

Kamex
05-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Not to be an ******* but the point is to have exclusivity, and lowering it so that everyone can have one would lead to anarchy. Pure chaos. So I honestly think we should keep it exclusive and raise the requirement up to Rubies/lyras only. It will reduce spam and probably motivate people to post more so they can have their own AMA, making activity more abundant. But that can also lead to spam which makes it a double edged sword... :/

Dragonite
05-04-2014, 06:08 PM
See, this will just make them even more meaningless than they already are. The original idea was for AMAs to be reserved for people who had proven themselves to be some of the more outstanding users on the forum. Replacing rank requirement with a time requirement will mean that any old user who signed up in July 2012 can just come back and make one with postcount == 0. I don't think I have to and I don't want to say any names, but other forums have done that and seen the whole thing blow to pieces very quickly.

Most successful forums I know have AMAs reserved for staff and/or manually approved users only, anyway.

Merga
05-04-2014, 06:08 PM
If anything, I think the AMA requirements should get changed to make it harder for people to get in. The AMA section was only supposed to be for a small group of people that have been on for quite some time, but now since anybody can get crystal, we see 4 pages of AMAs on that thread. So much for a small group of people. I still think that we should change the rules so that only staff, ruby, and a small group of emeralds should have AMAs.

ShadowMr.L
05-04-2014, 06:09 PM
I always viewed AMA's as a little...what? Reward, milestone for people who make it up to Crystal? It's because of the dedication and patience of working up the ranks you get that end result, and that is the AMA.

SuperSceptile
05-04-2014, 06:14 PM
PLEASE DONT MAKE IT HARDER! I WORKED FOR IT! This is precisely why its reserved for crystal members, you have to work for it.

Luna
05-04-2014, 06:20 PM
PLEASE DONT MAKE IT HARDER! I WORKED FOR IT! This is precisely why its reserved for crystal members, you have to work for it.
yes all of the work

UbersSuck20
05-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Simple solution: MTM shouldn't contribute to your post count.

I suggested something about this (in fact, I kind of revived Yoshi's suggestion) a while ago, and with the influx of members who hit the magic 500 posts mark, the users can just spam questions in everyone's thread and raise their post count. In my eyes, it's better to just not have the section count towards post count (although if you'd ask me, intelligent questions should have an effect on it).

New requirements for AMA sounds great...until you realize that many Crystal and Emerald users would be complaining about having their AMAs deleted or locked until they hit Ruby or something.

Ayra
05-04-2014, 07:24 PM
Personally, I'm not a fan of either lowering or raising the requirements. The things don't really need to be for a small few, nor should they be for everybody. Crystal is perfectly fine.

Blade Lord Nayru
05-04-2014, 09:48 PM
How about locking the AMAs of inactive users? I'm pretty sure a lot of the users that have AMAs are inactive, so locking those might be a good idea. That might be a problem if they come back and wonder why their thread has been locked.