PDA

View Full Version : Meet the Members and postcount. Again.

UbersSuck20
05-04-2014, 07:39 PM
I feel like this should be rediscussed.

Back in 2013, Yoshi and I suggested that this section should either not contribute towards post count, or somehow moderate this section more strictly than the other sections.

A. Make the entire section NOT count towards your post count.

Pros

Newer users wouldn't be able to spam in the section by asking each and every member pointless questions.
The other sections would be much more active, as many people still care about ranks.
Most of the questions asked are already stupid, even if they come from a Ruby or an Emerald user.
Asking other people questions is not how you become a better user, at least in my opinion.

Cons

Some users would complain about how hard it is to get to the next rank.
The section could become inactive, since it's not PFG.

B. Only Ruby and staff members can have AMAs.
Pros

The section would be less active, so the users asking questions would be forced to post in other sections.

Cons

Crystal and Emerald users would complain about having their AMAs locked.
Doesn't stop members from spamming in the AMAs of the Ruby users.

C. Only manually approved users can have AMAs.

Pros

The section would be less active, so the users asking questions would be forced to post in other sections.
Would prevent the not-so-amazing users who have somehow obtained a high rank from having an AMA.

Cons

Doesn't stop members, especially newer ones, from spamming in the AMAs of said users.
It would feel stupid if you're the most active user on the forums, yet you're not allowed to have an AMA.

D. Only members that have been there for a certain amount of time and are frequent users can have AMAs.

Pros

Cons

Doesn't stop members, especially newer ones, from spamming in the AMAs of said users.
If you registered your account 1 year ago and then left the forums, then came back, posted like 100-150 times and you suddenly get an AMA. How nice.

Dragonite
05-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Can we do this, this time? Really not a fan of the things at all anymore, you used to see interesting questions getting asked but nowadays they're just used to ask stupid questions and/or post count spam.

Shantae
05-04-2014, 08:07 PM
I feel like this should be rediscussed.

Back in 2013, Yoshi and I suggested that this section should either not contribute towards post count, or somehow moderate this section more strictly than the other sections.

A. Make the entire section NOT count towards your post count.

Pros

Newer users wouldn't be able to spam in the section by asking each and every member pointless questions.
The other sections would be much more active, as many people still care about ranks.
Most of the questions asked are already stupid, even if they come from a Ruby or an Emerald user.
Asking other people questions is not how you become a better user, at least in my opinion.

Cons

Some users would complain about how hard it is to get to the next rank.
The section could become inactive, since it's not PFG.

No. There is another problem to this suggestion and it will ruin the entire purpose of the AMA's is the section will be become another PFG. It wouldn't as exclusive anymore and I don't think it wouldn't work out for most majority of the forum. If you want to cut down pointless questions, we need to edit the AMA rules thread and add something regards to pointless questions. EGC's AMA rule thread has this rule in there. Imo this is a brilliant rule and I think it should be added in here. Credits goes to them.

- Don't treat this as a spam section. This means: 1) don't spam questions: you don't need to make a new post in someone's AMA asking them a new bunch of questions every day; 2) don't ask 'spammy', inappropriate, troll-like or unnecessary questions: questions like "on a scale of 1-10 how cool am I?", "can I touch you?" and "I miss you, do you miss me?" are completely spammy/inappropriate/troll-like/unnecessary. Take those questions to VMs or the spam thread.

B. Only Ruby and staff members can have AMAs.
Pros

Cons

Crystal and Emerald users would complain about having their AMAs locked.
Doesn't stop members from spamming in the AMAs of the Ruby users.

I would suggest make it Emerald User and above can allow AMA's because Ruby is pretty high requirement imo. Yes, it's about exclusively but raising it to Emerald Users should be fair to everyone since more people are crystal.

C. Only manually approved users can have AMAs.

Pros

Cons

It would feel stupid if you're the most active user on the forums, yet you're not allowed to have an AMA.

It would be sorta complicated for staff to approve certain users AMA threads. I don't think having approval system will make any AMA section any better. So, no.

D. Only members that have been there for a certain amount of time and are frequent users can have AMAs.

Pros

Cons

If you registered your account 1 year ago and then left the forums, then came back, posted like 100-150 times and you suddenly get an AMA. How nice.

I was about to post Roxas' thread regarding to his suggestion of the new AMA requirements.

From your suggestion, it wouldn't make any difference because like what people said, it's prove that you're active + post. Even through you want to change the ama requirements, it will effect the purpose of ama's. Your suggestion can led in to some problems such as people who are crystal or emerald user that they didn't have grant ama access ever and then people whine/complain about it. For example, being here 2 years with 88 posts doesn't prove you should create ama thread. It should be exclusive to people who still post and being active. That's just my opinion.

My thoughts are in green.

Ayra
05-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Seeing as how this forum is a bit different from back in 2013, I'm less a fan of taking post count out of the section. If questions are good, they should count to post count. It increases activity, and it's entertaining. If questions are bad, people can not answer them, thus discouraging asking bad questions for post count spam, and questions can be deleted if they are bad enough.

As for making AMA's restricted to higher ranks or a chosen few: yeah, no. AMA threads are for people who reach a certain milestone, not being some high-and-mighty member in this community. It would be more fun if we let everyone get them when they reach the crystal rank than to take that rank away and let only around ten people have AMA threads.

SuperSceptile
05-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Not b please! I worked for mine!

sonriopoby123
05-04-2014, 08:39 PM
After July that way I can reach Lyra Rank (◡‿◡✿)

BreeZaps
05-04-2014, 09:21 PM
It's already hard enough to get post count now as it is. If this happens then this will only make things worse. Ubers why should you care anyways?

Merga
05-04-2014, 09:27 PM
First off, if you want to make a pro-con thread, try to appeal to all possible solutions instead of appealing to the solution of your desire. We all know that you like the idea of making posts in AMA not count towards post count, and in my opinion, it's not the best thing to do. Simply because there is no point for the section if this happens.

As I said earlier, I still think changing the requirements so that Ruby and some Emerald would have AMAs would be the best option. I don't like C because it's too much work to execute that plan efficiently. If we did this during the start, it wouldn't be so bad, but since there are a lot of threads, it would just be too much work. I'm also against D because there could be that one guy who spends all of the time on chat, not contributing to anything, and get an AMA because he was on chat for a year straight and never really posted anything. Compare that to a guy who makes good posts frequently and only has been on not as long as the other guy. I would prefer the member who makes good posts rather than the guy who doesn't post at all.

Back when Crystals started to be a thing, it was hard to reach that achievement. Now that literally anybody can meet the rep requirements in a day if they talk to the right people, and some members can potentially give more rep than the staff can, Crystal really isn't that big of an achievement anymore. That's why I think the requirements should be increased to emeralds only, because the benefits of earning crystal are far better than the benefits of emerald.

Luna
05-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Delete all AMA threads and make it a Ruby and up thing.
Make it an exclusive thing again rather than something anyone and their mum can do.

BreeZaps
05-04-2014, 10:01 PM
Make it an exclusive thing again rather than something anyone and their mum can do.

If we delete all threads people will lose post count. Just lock threads or something.

Ayra
05-04-2014, 10:05 PM
I don't see why people are so opposed to AMA threads being less exclusive than they were two years ago. If they really wanted AMA threads to be owned by an elite few, they would have selected the elite few they had in mind when they created mtm rather than allowing everyone to be able to make a thread upon reaching a certain milestone.

Shantae
05-04-2014, 10:15 PM

If we delete all threads people will lose post count. Just lock threads or something.
Or move all AMA threads in archive section (if the forum has one) or staff section.

Luna
05-04-2014, 10:23 PM
I don't see why people are so opposed to AMA threads being less exclusive than they were two years ago. If they really wanted AMA threads to be owned by an elite few, they would have selected the elite few they had in mind when they created mtm rather than allowing everyone to be able to make a thread upon reaching a certain milestone.
"This group is intended to be kept small and exclusive to avoid a large multitude of members cluttering up the section."

Or move all AMA threads in archive section (if the forum has one) or staff section.
Yeah, that's probably a better idea.

Zachgoose
05-04-2014, 11:22 PM

But I need the staff section to hide threads I don't like!

...Anyway...

It will always be worth post count, because otherwise it will just completely die like the roleplay section did before it was worth post count again. Restricting it to Ruby and staff users also seems unfair, because we would be ripping threads people spent a lot of work on and earned away from them.

Having only manually approved users seems like a fair option to me, but I'm not going to pick and choose who can have a thread and who won't. About 30 AMA threads have been posted in within the past month, and most of those have unanswered questions. Only 17 have been posted in within the past week.

So option D, only the active users should get threads, seems best to me. It's the user who owns the thread that matters here, and if they are constantly posting in their thread, then they deserve to have one. What we don't want is people posting in dead AMAs just for post count.

As such, I have decided to lock all Meet the Members threads that have not been posted in for over 1 month. If you would like your Meet the Members thread unlocked, please PM me. But you don't need a thread unless you are willing to answer questions at least once every week. If you are the owner of an old thread and you are the last member who posted in it, let me know via PM and I'll ask you a question myself to restart it for you!

Hopefully this will cut back on spam at least a little bit.