PDA

View Full Version : (Theorymon) Kyurem-W in OU?

UbersSuck20
06-07-2014, 05:55 PM
So I checked out a server called PokeBattle and saw this:

KYUREM-WHITE IS OU.

wait what

http://www.pkparaiso.com/imagenes/xy/sprites/animados/kyurem-white.gif

At first glance, Kyurem-W has almost no reason to be OU: look at that gigantic base 170 Special Attack. Then add Draco Meteor in the equation and an okayish special movepool, and you get what it looks like an insane threat in Uberz. However, if you care to look deeper, you will realize that Kyurem-W has many shared flaws with its brother, Kyurem-B: a weakness to Stealth Rock, very vulnerable to Bullet Punch and Mach Punch (in fact, Kyurem-W has even more trouble taking priority attacks than its bro thanks to its lower physical defense), and a scarce movepool limited to about 6 special moves (Draco Meteor, Dragon Pulse, Fusion Flare, Ice Beam, Earth Power and Hidden Power Electric). While Kyurem-B can OHKO many fairy-types with Iron Head, the same can't be said about Kyurem-W since Fairy-type Pokemon are strong specially defensive-wise, so they can usually tank a Choice Specs Ice Beam and OHKO back.

http://www.pkparaiso.com/imagenes/xy/sprites/animados/kyurem-white.gif

Kyurem-W @ Choice Specs
Trait: Turboblaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature

- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Flare
- Dragon Pulse / Earth Power / Hidden Power Electric

100% countered by:

- Assault Vest Snorlax
- Assault Vest Azumarill
- Assault Vest Tyranitar
- Chansey / Blissey

With prediction, beaten by:

- Jirachi
- Conkeldurr
- Infernape
- Mega Scizor
- Mega Mawile
- Excadrill
- Mega Charizard X

Revenge killed by almost anything with more than 95 base speed, especially if SR's down.]

What do you think:

Dragonite
06-07-2014, 06:32 PM
I wouldn't say it's "easily" beaten by Mach and Bullet Punch, 125/90/100 defenses aren't spectacular but they're also nothing to sneeze at.

This thing got nerfed from Black and White becuause Fairies and the nerf to Draco Meteor and the invention of the Assault Vest, but I still don't think it should be sent down to OU. Timid + Life Orb still makes 570 points of Special Attack, which is higher than unboosted Deoxys. It has base-120 physical attack, and a lot of good moves in both categories, and even Chansey or Blissey can't completely hard wall it. Hell, you could give it a Choice Band and it could probably still compete in OU.

Also, LO is probably better than Specs because Kyurem doesn't want to be switching in and out that often if there are rocks on the field. Specs only make attacks 15% more powerful than Life Orb, anyway, and LO also would boost physical moves you might want to use.

So, there's that.

CaptainRed1000
06-08-2014, 02:17 PM
This is what I think. Kyurem-W, given all its flaws, cannot compete very well in Ubers (I say this, having used one several times before). However, Dragonite is right. Kyurem-W is still WAAY too powerful for OU. My opinion on Kyurem-W is the same as my opinion on Lucario-M. They're both in tiers of their own; too good for OU, but not good enough for Ubers. It's the same for several different Pokes, actually. Smogon might have to introduce a new tier or something. Maybe that's just wild speculation on my part.

UbersSuck20
09-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Oh wow I forgot about this thread.

I wouldn't say it's "easily" beaten by Mach and Bullet Punch, 125/90/100 defenses aren't spectacular but they're also nothing to sneeze at.

This thing got nerfed from Black and White becuause Fairies and the nerf to Draco Meteor and the invention of the Assault Vest, but I still don't think it should be sent down to OU. Timid + Life Orb still makes 570 points of Special Attack, which is higher than unboosted Deoxys. It has base-120 physical attack, and a lot of good moves in both categories, and even Chansey or Blissey can't completely hard wall it. Hell, you could give it a Choice Band and it could probably still compete in OU.

Also, LO is probably better than Specs because Kyurem doesn't want to be switching in and out that often if there are rocks on the field. Specs only make attacks 15% more powerful than Life Orb, anyway, and LO also would boost physical moves you might want to use.

So, there's that.

LO Kyurem-B disappointed me each time I used it and if you ask me the situation wouldn't be much different with Kyurem-W. Considering it's weak to Stealth Rock, Bullet Punch, Mach Punch, doesn't resist Brave Bird and on top of that it would have to take recoil damage each turn, wallbreaking with Kyurem-W is harder in practice than on paper. Azumarill (which is probably the best OU Pokemon at the moment) completely counters it. Stall would have a lot of problems with K-W, but if the stall team manages to set up Stealth Rock and keep it there, the ice monster would be easier to withstand, especially since it can count on Chansey.

I don't think Kyurem-W would afford to use Outrage in OU as it misses out on a vital coverage move (Earth Power). Besides, 4 Atk Outrage wouldn't deal THAT much to Chansey unless her Eviolite was Knocked Off by something else.