PDA

View Full Version : Baton Pass has been nerfed again

UbersSuck20
06-16-2014, 05:23 AM
Voting phase is over. We're still missing a few votes, but they would not make any difference. Here are the results of the vote:

Forbid the use of the move Baton Pass on more than 3 Pokémon on the same team (complex ban);

Option #1: (Do nothing and keep the metagame as it is): 8
Option #2: (Forbid the use of the move Baton Pass on more than 3 Pokémon on the same team (complex ban)): 40
Option #3: (Ban the combination of the move Baton Pass in conjunction with the ability Magic Bounce and the ability Speed Boost (complex ban)): 17

Options #2 and #3 together achieved a supermajority of 87.6%. For these reasons, option #1 is ruled out and option #2 (Forbid the use of the move Baton Pass on more than 3 Pokémon on the same team) wins.

The complex ban will be implemented on our official simulator as soon as possible.

So, as you can see, Smogon has officially nerfed Baton Pass. No more Magic Bounce + Speed Boost shenanigans, no more Spore + Imprison, no more full Baton Pass chains.

Discuss. SmashPass FTW. (I'm considering making a Hitler rant video about this.)

Ayra
06-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Better than when they thought to outright ban the move, and better then the third option. People can still work with baton pass on three Pokémon in their team. But I still think this shouldn't have happened.

Kyoits
06-16-2014, 06:31 PM
I personally feel that they should have just left the move alone. I do think that Option A was the best option, but that's just my opinion on it. Option 3 would have been the absolute worst.

Zachgoose
06-16-2014, 09:53 PM
It's fine because it was a successful tactic that is not fun to play against and turns Pokemon into solitaire. I'm glad they didn't completely ban the move. My only issue with complex bans is that they are explicitly warping the established rules of Nintendo. Personally, I disagree with partial bans on moves or abilities like that. Every aspect a Pokemon can use should be taken into account. For example, Ho-oh probably would not be Uber if Sacred Fire was banned. Yet Ho-oh is deemed "broken" even though only one aspect of it is broken. A Flareon with Baton Pass is not viable, but a Scolipede with it is banworthy. I just don't understand why Smogon is so inconsistent with their banning methods.

Dragonite
06-17-2014, 12:23 AM
Still don't especially care, either way. I don't use Baton Pass that often, and it doesn't strike me to.

For example, Ho-oh probably would not be Uber if Sacred Fire was banned. Yet Ho-oh is deemed "broken" even though only one aspect of it is broken.

Probably not. It still has massive SpD and very good physical Attack, Brave Bird, Flame Charge, Earthquake, Iron Head and a couple other wide-coverage physical attacks. And the HA Regenerator. Which is like the best thing ever for something with Brave Bird and Stealth Rocks.

WarioMCP
06-17-2014, 07:55 PM
I would have preferred them not to do anything at all, but option 2 is way better than option 3. Of course, this was apparently a huge problem at the top of the ladder and my account is only around 1500 so I can't give any kind of definitive opinion.

UbersSuck20
07-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Smogon has decided that from now on, only one Pokemon can have the move Baton Pass on the same OU team. (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/baton-pass-clause-mark-2.3511375/)

Discuss.

Dragonite
07-10-2014, 08:56 PM
After a long discussion on irc, the Council has decided to restrict the use of the move Baton Pass to just one Pokemon on any given team. It's apparent to us that the current Baton Pass clause hasn't nerfed full Baton Pass chains enough and that, therefore, we need to further restrict its use.

With this ban, strategies such as Quick Pass and Smash Pass will still be possible, while full Baton Pass chains will be completely dismantled.

We decided to opt for this measure over a different type of complex ban because of the overwhelming voting majority for Option 2 during the last round of the Suspect Process.

The Immortal is implementing the ban as I write this message.

The post doesn't actually say that they banned. What do they mean by "full Baton Pass chains will be completely dismantled?" Are we only allowed to have a maximum of 3 Pokémon with Baton Pass on a team? Are there certain Pokémon that are not allowed to use Baton Pass in conjunction with each other? Do I have to grep the entire Smogon forum for what Option 2 is?

I am disappoint, Smogon.

CaptainRed1000
07-11-2014, 08:05 AM
I have always been against BP Chain teams. It was stupid how many of these teams I had to dismantle just so I could point out that there was no strategy to it (Most of those teams were torn apart solely by Sableye Taunt). Previously, there had been some complaints that sounded like "This manner of playing is an insult to competitive Pokemon playing". While I wouldn't go that far, I certainly see that there is an element of truth to these arguments.

Overall? Goodbye, and good riddance!

UbersSuck20
07-11-2014, 12:51 PM
For example, Ho-oh probably would not be Uber if Sacred Fire was banned. Yet Ho-oh is deemed "broken" even though only one aspect of it is broken. A Flareon with Baton Pass is not viable, but a Scolipede with it is banworthy. I just don't understand why Smogon is so inconsistent with their banning methods.

Smogon discussed moving Ho-oh down to OU at some point in Gen 4, even with Sacred Fire. (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ho-oh-–-is-it-truly-an-uber.46794/) But that was back when Ho-oh lacked Brave Bird and Regenerator.