PDA

View Full Version : The Uber ladder is horrible: How not to use Geomancy Xerneas, Lugia or Arceus in competitive play

UbersSuck20
06-30-2014, 06:35 PM
http://www.pkparaiso.com/imagenes/xy/sprites/animados/xerneas.gif

With its access to Geomancy as well as a large special movepool, Xerneas is probably the most dangerous sweeper one should account for when laddering in Ubers. However, that doesn't mean Xerneas is "bam instant victory". You must play with it carefully if you want to beat a decent player, and this is something people seem to forget.

Rule #1: Never use any physical move bar Rock Slide, and even Rock Slide is not very good.

Geomancy boosts your SPECIAL ATTACK, right? RIGHT?! Why the hell would you not take advantage of that?
a) Horn Leech doesn't really hit anything much harder than a fairy-type attack, thanks to Fairy Aura. 4 HP Kyogre is OHKOed by +2 Moonblast anyway, something Horn Leech can't do. And if you really hate Quagsire, Energy Ball is there to help you. I guess Horn Leech does replenish your health, but that isn't really gonna help Xerneas unless the opponent has priority attacks on all of his/her Pokemon.
b) Close Combat... *cough* Focus Blast. Nuff said. If you say "BUT BLISSEY AND CHANSEY", they are pretty rare, and Xerneas usually wins against them one-on-one without Close Combat anyway.
c) Double-Edge LOL

The only attack I could see being useful on GeoXern is Rock Slide, as that attack one-shots slightly weakened Ho-Oh, who can otherwise stop it dead in its tracks with a simple Brave Bird.

Rule #2: Never use Flash Cannon on GeoXern.

Thanks to Fairy Aura, Moonblast reaches about 175 power, which is higher than a super effective Flash Cannon (80x2=160).

Rule #3: Never use any other item besides Power Herb.

Geomancy lasts for 2 turns, not one. Just like Sky Attack and SolarBeam.

Rule #4: Do not try to set up while you're drunk.

I've seen a lot of Xerneas trying to set up on bulky Steel-types that wall them, such as Scizor and Ferrothorn. Are you really thinking they would use U-turn or Spikes while you set up? Almost every team fears a +2/+2/+2 Xerneas, so many people overprepare for it, and they wouldn't hesitate to click Bullet Punch/Gyro Ball and see the Life Pokemon gone. You have 5 other teammates to get rid of those steel-types.
Also, don't try to set up alongside Extreme Killer Arceus. +2 ExtremeSpeed is an OHKO no matter how you look at it. Don't try to set up on physical dragons, especially Zekrom, who can OHKO with Bolt Strike after Stealth Rock. And finally, never, ever, ever try to set up on Unaware users, Heatran or Lugia. Nuff said.

Rule #5 (or #6?): Do not let your 6 month-old baby, cat or dog use Geomancy Xerneas.

Although GeoXern is one of the easiest Pokemon to understand, that doesn't mean your pet will be able to use it effectively. One, it can't read, and two, it lacks the co-ordination and dexterity to use a keyboard properly, and quite likely has boredom and attitude issues on top of that. You might be super busy with schoolwork, extracurricular activities, or certain Internet-based activities, but no matter how out of time you are, leaving your pet cat / dog / guinea pig / East-African fan-spotted death snake with the job of sweeping idiots with a Geomancy Xerneas just won't work.

http://i.imgur.com/RzPUGYx.png

Dragonite
06-30-2014, 09:04 PM
Rule #5: If your opponent brings in something that might have a phazing move on it to counter your thing, it probably does.

i.e. you should probably not try to set up your first (or second) Geomancy if they bring in something including, but not limited to, Dragonite, Lugia, Skarmory, Ho-oh, Giratina, Aggron, Steelix, Donphan, Groudon, Hippowdon or a couple other things.

UbersSuck20
11-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Ugh, why do I have to do this again...

http://pldh.net/media/pokemon/gen6/xy-animated/249.gif

Lugia is blessed with amazing defenses and Multiscale, which turn it into one of the best mixed walls in the entire game. Lugia's movepool is quite sexy too, featuring Roost, Whirlwind, Thunder Wave, Toxic, Substitute and Dragon Tail as great supporting moves. However, waaaay many people don't know how to use it.

Rule #1: Do not use Aeroblast on your Lugia.

Aeroblast is weak coming off Lugia's crappy SpA and has only 8 PP, especially in a tier filled with Pressure users. Ice Beam and Dragon Tail are generally better.

Rule #2: If you're going to use Calm Mind Lugia on your team, think again.

I'll just quote this post:

Calm Mind Lugia is cute. It is another one of those sets that sound really good in theory. I mean, if you EV it with a stack of physical defense and enough speed to outrun Zekrom or something, you theoretically can't kill it, right? Unfortunately, these sets generally fail because Lugia is so damn weak. You're easily forced out by phazing moves while hitting most things for like 25% even at +3. Otherwise, the opponent can just hit Toxic and make your Lugia absolutely useless. I guess you could say Substitute beats Toxic and Whirlwind prevents phazing, but Lugia only has four moves, three of which needs to be Calm Mind, Roost and an attack. On that topic, there aren't any powerful moves Lugia can use apart from Aeroblast, which runs out quickly due to Pressure being everywhere in the tier. Ice Beam is probably your best bet for overall coverage, but it's really weak. I'm not saying this set is bad, it's just really hard to use properly.

Rule #3: Do not use Lugia without a Defog/Rapid Spin user on your team. Do not use Defog Lugia.

If you're trying to wall Ho-Oh, GeoXern or EKiller Arceus or so many other wallbreakers, having Multiscale intact is really helpful. Defog Lugia is extremely unreliable, you lose Multiscale (Pressure Lugia just isn't as good. Please don't be a troll and use Protect/Substitute/Toxic/Roost Lugia or something like that.). Then there's the fact that Lugia is so weak and becomes setup fodder for many things if they predict your Lugia using Defog.

Rule #4: NEVER. EVER. EVER. LET YOUR LUGIA. GET BADLY POISONED.

If your opponent clicks Toxic, your Lugia is screwed. It becomes nearly useless. This CAN be remedied with something such as Aromatherapy Xerneas, so if you're playing stall, never let your Xerneas die!

Rule #5: Do not let your 6 month-old baby, cat or dog use Lugia.

Dragonite
11-06-2014, 05:52 PM
What the hell, I'll post one of these two. There are some days where Battle Spot makes the PS ladder look like the world series of chess or whatever.

http://www.pkparaiso.com/imagenes/xy/sprites/animados/arceus.gif

Swords Dance Does Not Boost Judgement!

Long long ago in a galaxy far far away there did not exist a thing called the "Physical/Special Split," and all moves were arbitrarily granted attack category based on their elemental type. In layman's terms, all Normal moves were physical and could be boosted by Swords Dance, all fire moves were special and could be boosted by Nasty Plot, etc. However, this was a solid ten years ago and is no longer the case. Despite being Normal when used by unplated Arceus, the move Judgement will not, in fact, have its damage output increased through means such as Swords Dance. You are only going to waste your time and become liable to your god of all Pokémon being KO'd by the likes of my trusty Galvantula and Yanmega. I am sorry to disappoint you.

NAO PLEASE STOP USING IT BEFORE I CONCUSS MYSELF FACEPALMING!

SuperSceptile
11-06-2014, 06:19 PM
Can you guys tell me how to kill lugia because it walls everything.

sonriopoby123
11-06-2014, 06:28 PM
toxic.

UbersSuck20
11-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Yveltal, Giratina-O, Ghost Arceus (Swords Dance + Shadow Force), Stealth Rock, Ferrothorn and of course, Toxic.

UbersSuck20
11-06-2014, 06:50 PM
http://pldh.net/media/pokemon/gen6/xy-animated/491.gif

With its blazing base 125 Speed and access to Dark Void, Substitute and Nasty Plot, Darkrai is a nightmare to stall. However, it sucks to be a fan favourite. There are some people who simply don't know how to play Pokemon.

Golden Rule. SLEEP CLAUSE EXISTS FOR A REASON!!!!!

Seriously, in the lower parts of the Uber ladder as well as on Battle Spot, waaaaaaaaay too many people forget about Sleep Clause, which prevents you from putting more than one Pokemon to sleep. Show some respect for Sleep Clause. Otherwise, THIS will happen...

http://i.imgur.com/byGCuLn.png

Not X = Yveltal

Aaron
11-06-2014, 08:00 PM
This thread is so funny xD Since they seem to be absolutely everywhere, maybe do one of these for MeGengar and Mega Blaziken?

Dragonite
11-06-2014, 08:08 PM
http://www.pkparaiso.com/imagenes/xy/sprites/animados/blaziken-4.gif

Blaziken sucks. Don't use it. Like, ever.

Thank you and good night.

edit

crap the order was for mega blaziken

oh well

mega blaziken's even worse because you can't Orb or Band it, both of which would raise its attack higher than mega's counterpart. plus it looks dumber than regular. so if you use thing and don't have the skill of people like ubers or saurkraut you're basically labeling yourself as an anime fanboy or something, or maybe someone who just really really likes chickens a lot like me.

UbersSuck20
11-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Blaziken is good for Baton Passing though...

And +2 Flare Blitz in the sun is nasty. Only Giratina can really wall it, and even then, you can pair it with Xerneas to scare it and try to set up a Geomancy. I never really had problems with Blaziken though, since I almost always use an ExtremeSpeed user or Giratina-O (who has access to Shadow Sneak too).

UbersSuck20
12-09-2014, 08:30 PM
http://pldh.net/media/pokemon/gen6/xy-animated/250.gif

Ho-oh might have a good 130 attack stat and a magnficient special defense stat, but there are still many, many people who don't use it correctly.

#1. Do not use non-Sacred Fire Ho-oh unless you place it on a dedicated rain team.

If you're using Ho-oh on a rain team to dispatch Latias and Grass/Poison Arceus then it's okay, considering these things are huge threats to rain teams that would otherwise smash through the opposition with Specs Swift Swim Kingdra, Mega Swampert, Choice Scarf or Primal Kyogre and SD Kabutops. You can just use Brave Bird, Roost, Substitute and something such as Earthquake to deal a large amount of damage to Primal Groudon, or Tailwind to support the team if Kyogre is down.

Otherwise, whenever you use Ho-oh, ALWAYS use Sacred Fire. It's that good, considering you have a 50% chance to burn the target, and it hurts like hell.

#2. Make sure to run an entry hazard remover.

Mega Sableye and Xatu do not cut it. Use an Arceus forme or Latios packing Defog, and you'll be good. Ho-oh really hates losing 50% of its health everytime it switches in if Stealth Rock is active.

#3. Be competitive.

By that, I mean do not use something such as Protect/Sub/Sacred Fire/Roost Ho-oh with the Pressure ability and, on top of that, a Leppa Berry.

#4. Do not use Iron Head or special moves on your Ho-oh.

Considering Brave Bird hits Xerneas harder factoring in STAB, Iron Head is just not worth it. I guess it has no recoil, but what else does Iron Head hit that its main stabs don't? Special moves fall into the same category, coverage means little when Brave Bird can hit them harder. 4SpA Thunder does little to Kyogre, while 4SpA Overheat still won't deal that much to P-Groudon or Avalugg(yes it's viable.)
Oh, and Ho-oh has lower special attack.

Dragonite
12-09-2014, 10:22 PM
I remember my offensive tank that I used early in XY Uber. Everybody and their grandma forgets that Ho-oh not only resists Moonblast but has base-154 Special Defense, and I tended to get cursed out a lot in the PS chat when I switched the thing in and took like 20% from a +2 Moonblast. It was great.

#4a. Remember you have Regenerator.

Unless you plan on using Brave Bird like ten times in a row or something you can just switch out of battle to recover more HP than you lost to Brave Bird, and then some.

Krauersaut
12-28-2014, 07:42 PM
/join Ubers

/msg Krauersaut, hi

learn tier

done