PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Spotlight Week 1: Aegislash

sonriopoby123
07-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Pokemon Spotlight

Hello and welcome to Pokemon Spotlight! I'm your host, Sonrio, and this week we'll be discussin-

Whoa, hold on. What the hell is this?
Oh, glad you asked. See, I came up with the idea of discussing a single Pokemon in a competitive way so that we can give the section a much needed boost.

So what does that mean?
It means we'll be discussing the Pokemon in the following in a competitive point of view:
- pros
- cons
- set ups and strategies
- anything else that comes to mind!
Oh, and respect each other's opinions please. I don't want any bashing or flaming in this thread.
At the end of the week I'll post a new one, but this thread shall remain open for any further discussion!

So what do I do?
You'll be posting and discussing the above about the Pokemon in the spotlight, duh!

Anyways, before I was so rudely interrupted, I'd like welcome this week's Pokemon, Aegislash!

http://www.pkparaiso.com/imagenes/xy/sprites/animados/aegislash.gifhttp://www.pkparaiso.com/imagenes/xy/sprites/animados/aegislash-blade.gif
With its unique typing of Ghost/Steel and its base stats of 60/50(S)150(B)/150(S)50(B)/50(S)150(B)/150(S)50(B)/60, and its ability Stance Change that switches its Offensive and Defensive stats, Aegislash has made a great impact in the competitive world!

Now that we've settled everything in, it's time to get going and discuss Aegislash's importance in the competitive world!

Aaron
07-02-2014, 03:49 PM
Honestly, I think Aegislash is possibly the best Pokemon and the most competitively viable Pokemon released this Generation. With it's equal attacking stats, you are free to run Physical, Special or Mixed. Also, it's ability gives it a niche in OU, as you can run pretty much any set you want, be it offensive or defensive.

The only negative I would bring up is that it's physical movepool isn't great.

Kyoits
07-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Aegislash was one of the most unique Pokemon that has ever been introduced in the Pokemon series because of the shield form and the attack form. It can be used in various was which is good for variety. It introduced a very good move in King's Shield which is one of the best things about it. It is one of my favorite 6th gen competitive Pokemon and I hope they make more Pokemon like it.

Bricktoad
07-02-2014, 06:56 PM
aegislash couldn't ohko chesnaught with a flying move and it died pretty quickly without that defense mode thing
ice was a witness. he was the one with the chesnaught.

although i suppose it could be good for setting up swords dance and then shadow sneak :>

Aaron
07-02-2014, 07:02 PM
STORY TIME :D :D

One time I was doing an OU Monotype battle on PS. We were both using Mono Ghost, which will mean something to you in a second. I sent in my Weakness Policy Aegislash and he sent in his own Aegislash. I used Swords Dance as he went for Shadow Sneak, putting me to x3 attack. Shadow Sneaked everything and won.

sonriopoby123
07-02-2014, 07:05 PM
With Aegislash's defenses you'd think it'd be able to handle anything.

NOPE Earthquake takes it down easily. Take Diggersby for example.

Kyoits
07-02-2014, 07:11 PM
Which is why I always run Air Balloon on it. Also, can we give suggestions for Pokemon that we want to discuss?

sonriopoby123
07-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Sure, but try not focus on the topic here.

The thing is there are lots of better items than Air Balloon to get so I try not to send mine into mons that can KO it.

UbersSuck20
07-02-2014, 07:38 PM
Why Aegislash and not Deoxys-S?!

idc if it gets banned

Anyway, Air Balloon on Aegislash is pretty good, as it allows the ghost to act as a good check to Excadrill and Landorus-T.

sonriopoby123
07-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Also just asking, why not think of a couple sets you've seen on Aegislash before, and discuss how its good or bad and ways to improve.

Kyoits
07-02-2014, 08:09 PM
The moveset that I always run on Aegislash is:

Shadow Sneak: Mostly because it is a stab priority move and it can deal some decent damage once you get some Swords Dances up.

King's Shield: I use this to see what the opponent is going to do if I can't tell what they are going to do..

Sacred Sword: I have this move so that I can have a strong physical move and deal some pretty high damage.

Swords Dance: I have this so that I can prepare to sweep a team. I will sometimes use it to scare something off if I need to, but that is on rare occasion.

Blue
07-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Aegislash is the perfect mixed attacker due to its equal attack stats and access to Shadow Ball and a Sacred Sword. Aegislash nerds to have lefties but at the same time really wants the balloon.

CaptainRed1000
07-03-2014, 01:53 AM
Aegislash's biggest weakness, i feel, (aside from Diggersby Earthquake) are status conditions. Due to it's low speed (unless you have Shadow Sneak), Aegislash is easy pickings for status-inflicting moves like Will-o-Wisp (especially damaging for physical builds), Thunder Wave, Spore/Sleep Powder etc. Since King's Shield doesn't protect against moves like this, Aegislash is easy prey. Sure, you could replace King's Shield with Protect, and that does work to guard against status moves, but it doesn't trigger Stance Change, so if you are in Sword-Form, then you will remain in that state for the rest of the game, and once again due to it's low speed, it can easily be knocked out before being able to take full advantage of it's massive offensive stats.

UbersSuck20
07-03-2014, 07:24 PM
The moveset that I always run on Aegislash is:

Shadow Sneak: Mostly because it is a stab priority move and it can deal some decent damage once you get some Swords Dances up.

King's Shield: I use this to see what the opponent is going to do if I can't tell what they are going to do..

Sacred Sword: I have this move so that I can have a strong physical move and deal some pretty high damage.

Swords Dance: I have this so that I can prepare to sweep a team. I will sometimes use it to scare something off if I need to, but that is on rare occasion.

Stance Dance is bad.

^ Aegislash doesn't really care about Thunder Wave since it's naturally slow, and is immune to Toxic. Also, burn doesn't affect specially-oriented Aegislash that badly anyway, since Shadow Ball will be its most commonly used attack.

Anyway...

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
Trait: Stance Change
EVs: 204 HP (or Atk) / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Mild Nature

- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Hidden Power Ice

With HP Ice and an Air Balloon equipped, Aegislash becomes a nice check to many Pokemon that would otherwise give it problems, such as Gliscor, Dragonite, Landorus (-T) and Garchomp.

UbersSuck20
07-10-2014, 01:34 PM
Another good Aegislash set:

http://www.pkparaiso.com/imagenes/xy/sprites/animados/aegislash-blade.gif

Aegislash @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Stance Change
EVs: 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Modest Nature

- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Ice

This Aegislash is a very effective lure just like the previous Aegislash set I posted, except it relies purely on special attacks and lols at Foul Play.

sonriopoby123
07-23-2014, 06:58 AM
So Aegislash is being suspect tested by Smogon! What do you guys think? Should the King of Ghosts be banned?

UbersSuck20
07-23-2014, 11:36 AM
No. Aegislash has excellent defenses and attacking stats, access to STAB Shadow Sneak and King's Shield, as well as a nice special movepool, but it's slow and very reliant on prediction.