PDA

View Full Version : The Future of the SS Forums

Zachgoose
11-22-2014, 04:36 PM
Right. So all the currently existing staff members (besides Eyan, who chose not to participate) had a meeting yesterday, and there will be massive changes to this forum. The changes will most likely be implemented over the next couple of weeks. If you have opinions on the subjects, you can share them. And remember: Nothing in this thread is 100% confirmed to be set in stone and permanent. Keep in mind these ideas were contributed by the staff members and the suggestions that you guys have been posted.

1. Removal of the Ranking system - Ranks are stagnate. There are users who are stuck at 500 posts that can't find anywhere to post, and users who have 2500 posts who are ineligible to promote for another year and 1,000 posts. Ranks have always been there mainly for "bragging rights," and we have had issues with users not liking the colors of their ranks and having me manually change them. This will set EVERYONE to being a normal user again. Although this is a drastic change, it will be better for the future of the forum and the ranks can be implemented again if the new system fails.

2. Points System - Users will gain points for various activities on the forum: Posting, getting posts liked, winning tournaments, winning mafia games, other special events, etc. Unlike reputation, your points value will be hidden to everyone but you. Points can be spent for a variety of perks on the forum, including permanently earning many of the old ranking system perks for yourself, changing the color of your own name to whatever you want it to be, changing your title, username, etc, having access to new and exclusive threads, access to the arcade system, adding your own custom smilies and much more that will be discussed at a later date. The goal of this is so users are constantly working toward upgrading themselves, rather than being completely stagnate with no incentive to post for a long time.

3. Badge System - We will likely be implementing a badge system. You will get badges under your username for completing various tasks on the forum. Such tasks include but are not limited to, "Having 500 posts," "Having a high score in the arcade," "Winning a Pokemon tournament," "Having a high win rate as a mafia member in the forum mafia." There will be many badges, and those are just random examples. The badges will likely just use icons of the badges from Pokemon games, all though we may have variance somewhere (or if an artist wants to make custom badges for points... hint hint).

4. Blog section - There will be more sections added in the future, but this one is the most popular idea so far. This section is intended to replace Meet the Members, and will be an exclusive club you have to buy access to. Users make detailed posts about their lives or a subject they are passionate about, and others can comment in their blogs.

5. Arcade revamp - Dead and decayed system will have MANY more games, and the user scores will be wiped because Rubick is a cheater it adds more incentive to compete for scores again.

6. The Rules - The Rules of the site will be completely rewritten due to it having many archaic punishing methods and including offenses which aren't honestly that bad. For example, we're okay with bumping old threads if you have more to contribute, and double posting is fine if it is new content that is deserving enough to warrant bumping the thread.

Those are the first of many more changes we intend to have, and they will be expressed in further detail at a later date. As for ads, Garthcune is currently hosting the website and paying for it every month out of the goodness of his heart. Eyan was going to let the site die, and Eyan still has not paid Garth back for the $80+ that he owes him. I have removed the ads that were on the website for the past few days because they kind of suck and aren't making very much money, but I feel like we shouldn't force all of this monetary pressure on Garth. Perhaps I will find a better form of ads in the future, or maybe we'll have a donation incentive to obtain points/get a special badge.

As for potentially changing the name of the website: The Super Skarmory name is OURS as a community; Eyan has completely abandoned that name in favor of King of Zeal. He does not own the domain name, he does not pay to host the server, and he does not contribute to the site in any regard. Actions speak louder than words. If we feel like we need to change the website name in the future to attract new users, then we will not hesitate.

The best thing you can do as a user right now is increase activity! Make new threads; posts made now will contribute to your points in the future. Want a League of Legends section? Make more League threads, keep the League General thread constantly active. Don't want the Fire Emblem section to be removed? Prove it's not a dead section and that members will always be able to talk about it since it has such an important backstory in the community.

We will move forward as a community and many of these changes may be difficult, but we do need more incentive to post. I love all of you (except sonrio) and are looking forward to spending years more of time on this website.

~Zachgoose

Dabottle
11-22-2014, 04:43 PM
Will everybody be starting from zero points or is there some form of conversion?

Blade Lord Nayru
11-22-2014, 04:45 PM
I was not happy about the removal of the rank system. Then I read about the points system. Now I agree. But I hope that users will get some compensation for their current time spent on the forums, and not have to start over. Badge system just seems like an expansion of the point system to me tbh

I don't care about the blog section

Arcade revamp.... could users provide original games for the new arcade? I'm working on a little something, and I think Drago might have something too.

SFB
11-22-2014, 04:53 PM
The forum is gonna be a niche group of people. I might be willing to throw down a few dollars to help the site stay alive. I know I haven't contributed much here, but Zach hearing your story I'm quite positive to see the direction where this community will go. It's unfortunate because these forums back at the start were hella good. Also could I get a name change? Just to SFB.

Edit: Are the forums getting renamed?

Zachgoose
11-22-2014, 04:55 PM
Will everybody be starting from zero points or is there some form of conversion?

You will start out with points based on your post count at the very least. We may potentially have more starting points depending on how complex the system is / how much I feel like going through old content.

I was not happy about the removal of the rank system.

Arcade revamp.... could users provide original games for the new arcade? I'm working on a little something, and I think Drago might have something too.

1. I'm not completely sold on removing the rank system either because I think it works in its current state just fine. However, we want to see users constantly working for improvement and finding more incentives to post. Also so many of you care about the colour of your username, so this will allow more selection (likely using color codes).

2. Sure you can add original games to the arcade.

Also adding something new to the OP about the rules, so look out for that.

Prospering
11-22-2014, 04:57 PM
Definetly on board with these changes, great to see staff take initiative, and make the forum a better place.

XpL
11-22-2014, 05:06 PM
The vision with the removal of ranks and the implementation of a points 'currency' system aims to normalise power rankings between members. Status and value to the community is a subjective interpretation that is independent to each user. It's very difficult to objectively measure who is a 'better' user than another. By purchasing upgrades, users' status is more concealed. The new badges system will be as close to the old ranks in the more badges you have, the higher you are perceived to be a better member. By creating more specific goals in mind we can make unlocking these achievements with greater satisfaction. You have to proactively participate in all areas of the forums if you want to collect all the badges.

I'd imagine, although it's not finalised, that veteran members will be compensated a percentage of their current contributions into points at decreased ratio. The vision once again, is to have long and short term goals in point/badge collecting throughout your stay at the forums. I will speculate that to unlock all the features that a current Lyra user has, will take longer from day 1 than the current system. Not sure on that, it's open to discussion.

Dragonite
11-22-2014, 05:20 PM
Let's see here.

1. Have to say, my interest in rank has been waning by the day, but I'm not sure if I'm completely ready to see it go. See the thing about points.

2. After two years, forum currency will be a thing? Fantastic. I've seen it implemented on other forums but not really done well, I'm interested to see how we handle it here.

3. SteamXEyanland. I'm all for it. Also, what are the size and specifications for the badges? I've had a couple 64x64 designs lying around my computer that I might clean up and submit.

4. See Tainers' thread.

5. I forgot we had this.

6. Pretty sure nobody's actually been infracted for bumping threads with relevant posts for years, but I guess it's nice to see it official.

7. Ads - My current income is about fifteen cents a day but if you guys want to start a donation thing I think the time is right. I myself can't just clear Eyan's debt and more, but maybe that's something a couple of us could work out.

8. Name: I'm a member of the Super Skarmory forums, and by this point it doesn't matter to me if Eyan's active, moved on or kicked the bucket. I could make do with being in the Kingdom of Zeal, but at this point turning into NintendoUniverseCentralStation or something would be like incinerating a piece of my youth.

To the moon.

sonriopoby123
11-22-2014, 05:23 PM
why wont you love me

XpL
11-22-2014, 05:31 PM
3. SteamXEyanland. I'm all for it. Also, what are the size and specifications for the badges? I've had a couple 64x64 designs lying around my computer that I might clean up and submit.
Something like this I'd imagine: http://i.imgur.com/BqYVZ38.png?1
I'd suspect the main badges be visible on all posts, with the rest on a separate user profile tab. A hierarchy of badge visibility priority a la civ4 great people tech light bulbing. (pls visterino and posterino my threaderino plx)

6. Pretty sure nobody's actually been infracted for bumping threads with relevant posts for years, but I guess it's nice to see it official.
Nobody has seriously been infracted since SS.net v1.

XpL
11-22-2014, 05:31 PM
as to where that image is from, inside joke for you veterans out there. :420::420:

Tainers14
11-22-2014, 05:45 PM
for those of you who want details on blogs

http://superskarmory.net/forum/showthread.php?6610-Test-Blog-by-tainers14

It will look something like this.

Since it's replacing AMA you'll still be able to ask them questions and what not. If the two get combined the original poster can generate activity in the section when his/her thread is ded

(how2advertise starring tainers14)

Patriot
11-22-2014, 06:31 PM
Regarding the arcade revamp, maybe provide custom titles to the top 3 highscore-champions?

Kyoits
11-22-2014, 06:54 PM
i personally think that the rank system should have been removed a while ago.
i do think that the point system is a cool thing and it is better than rep.
cant wait for more games in the arcade.

BreeZaps
11-22-2014, 06:54 PM
Ok I'm going to add my opinions on everything.

>remove the rank system.
Yes please.

>Points system.
I kind of like this as it will help young people learn how to save there points, for something they really want. It could help with the real world. Not even joking. Now how will buying work. Is there a thread where we go to buy stuff or what?

>changing the color to your own user name.
Do you mean buy the power to change it whenever or just buy a color? Also can the defalt color of normal users be orange and not the color of the skin we're using?

>changing titles
Can we keep the titles we already have or are they getting reset?

>badge system.
I like this idea. I think badges would be amazing. Like a badge for being around since 2012 or 2009, or having 1,000 posts or 3,000 posts.

>blog system
The blog system would be great. I would love to see this happen. Also just because the blog system is coming doesn't mean we should remove the ama place.
1. If we remove the ama place post count would go down for all users. Would affect lots.
2. I don't want my blog place to be spammed with questions. I want it to be all in my ama thread.

>arcade revamp
Great. That is all.

>rules
Great. I was the one who told Eyan to do that. He agreed. The rules are outdated LOL.

Ok with the ads. I want ads. Also can we have a donation button?

With normal users. Can they delete posts, own a lot of groups, own as many pms as they want, and junk like that?

BTW Eyan could not make it to the meeting because he had to stream.

SuperSceptile
11-22-2014, 07:06 PM
So did eyan just completely give up on superskarmory or what? I'm in favor for most of these changes, I'm still a bit iffy on changing ranks but it should be fine. As long as we can make threads at any time the point system is good.

BreeZaps
11-22-2014, 07:20 PM
So did eyan just completely give up on superskarmory or what? I'm in favor for most of these changes, I'm still a bit iffy on changing ranks but it should be fine. As long as we can make threads at any time the point system is good.

Eyan did not give up on the ss name. He just uses it for youtube.

Shaymin
11-22-2014, 07:29 PM
Really loving all of the stuff in the OP. Probably my only concern with the points made is with the fact that members can change the color of their name. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, I'm more concerned with people getting incredibly saturated colors like #00eaff, #eaff00, and #ff0000. Will there be restrictions on that or no?

Or maybe I'm just paranoid.

Uzi
11-22-2014, 07:29 PM
the ama section is being hidden to normal users so it seems like its 'gone' when its just hidden to a certain usergroup.

post count from the ama section will be preserved.

Really loving all of the stuff in the OP. Probably my only concern with the points made is with the fact that members can change the color of their name. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, I'm more concerned with people getting incredibly saturated colors like #00eaff and #ff0000. Will there be restrictions on that or no?

thank you for your concerns haha. it's funny because we discussed this last night and came to the conclusion that people probably wouldn't do this since they'd just be seeking attention and not getting it since their color is well, dumb. i personally think people won't do it in general since i'm sure we all understand what colors are not stupid to pick for a white/black background

Merga
11-22-2014, 07:32 PM
Really loving all of the stuff in the OP. Probably my only concern with the points made is with the fact that members can change the color of their name. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, I'm more concerned with people getting incredibly saturated colors like #00eaff, #eaff00, and #ff0000. Will there be restrictions on that or no?

iirc, we will infract people or give them a warning if they decide to be stupid with the color that they choose (stuff like bright yellow or extremely saturated colors). What I would do is change their color to "poop brown" until they change their choice.

SFB
11-22-2014, 07:34 PM
The communication from this thread has been better than Eyan's video rate for the past 3 years

XpL
11-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Now how will buying work. Is there a thread where we go to buy stuff or what?
To be announced Soon™.

Do you mean buy the power to change it whenever or just buy a color? Also can the defalt color of normal users be orange and not the color of the skin we're using?
The details are to be discussed. What will ultimately get implemented will be open to testing and feedback and may result in changes depending so. The default user colour will be one that is visible on all default skins. This of course means we'd have to reorganise the skins available. The current Steven/Red skin both normal and midnight versions is a good start.

>changing titles
Can we keep the titles we already have or are they getting reset?
For the interest of a 'clean slate', I'd imagine reset. This makes the climb back to purchasing them all the more worthwhile.

>badge system.
I like this idea. I think badges would be amazing. Like a badge for being around since 2012 or 2009, or having 1,000 posts or 3,000 posts.
This is what we had in mind. Further, more complex suggestions welcome.

>rules
Great. I was the one who told Eyan to do that. He agreed. The rules are outdated LOL.
Eyan's involvement is a controversial issue that Zach has addressed well above. I would not rule it out as completely non existent, but it is minimal right now.

Ok with the ads. I want ads. Also can we have a donation button?
Implementing ads again is being discussed between Zach and Garth. To my knowledge there are some legal complications with Google's adsense policy to work around. They will likely be back Soon™.

With normal users. Can they delete posts, own a lot of groups, own as many pms as they want, and junk like that?
To be finalised. I'd imagine the ability to delete their posts/threads and basic functionality. Extras will all be purchasable. A fresh user will be bare in features. If they participate and accumulate points, they will swiftly unlock all these features.

BTW Eyan could not make it to the meeting because he had to stream.
Eyan had no obligation to either stream nor attend our meeting. For whatever reason he was not there and that is taken into account for future decisions.

XpL
11-22-2014, 07:45 PM
iirc, we will infract people or give them a warning if they decide to be stupid with the color that they choose (stuff like bright yellow or extremely saturated colors). What I would do is change their color to "poop brown" until they change their choice.
I'm going to add clarity to this idea of being punished for choosing a non-legible colour.
Nobody will get punished, but it will impact their user-experience. It will be suggested that it is impairing visibility, but they have no obligation to change otherwise. Members are free to choose whatever colour they want, with the forewarning they will probably look like a tool.

marissachu
11-22-2014, 08:51 PM
Most of the stuff I would have said has already been covered by the other staff members, so I'll try not to repeat stuff too much.

First of all, ALL staff except Eyan attended this meeting. We put a lot of thought and time into the future of the forums and hope this will help move the site forward. In regards to Bree's earlier comment, while Xpl is right in that Eyan had no obligation to attend, he chose to stream all the way through what ended up being a two and a half hour meeting (which started over an hour after the stream began). If he prefers streaming to having (imo) any power on the forums' future I believe that this decision is legitimate and he should be allowed to do what he pleases, but bear in mind that the forum staff will be continuing independent of Eyan's opinions. At the current time we do not intend to change the name or go through some coup de tat, so the impact of our interest in moving forward will probably have little impact on the nature of the forums (aside from restructuring of dumb rules that none of us agree with, like the rules on bumping threads). Basically, don't worry, your lives will not be influenced by the staff's feelings about Eyan's commitment to the forums.

Regarding points, I'm glad to see some really positive feedback. Points, to my knowledge, will be spent through some sort of shop (not a thread) in order prevent Zach from having to repeatedly log on and change every individual's name color each time someone posts in the threads. Users with high ranks/post count will be compensated to some extent that is yet to be determined. I believe current user titles will be retained, but changing them again will likely cost some points (just as changing colors multiple times will cost points for each time a person changes rank).

As far as the arcade goes, look forward to seeing a thread in the future with regard to new games. We want the arcade to be appealing to those who are inclined to use it (and actually fun for those who have access to it), and we will eventually be looking to you guys for some ideas, so hold on to them for later!

Finally, with regard to badges, the specific nature of the badges (design/when they'll be awarded) is yet to be determined, but they will probably be a mix between checkpoints (you hit 1000 posts!) to a few ones which may be awarded by staff members (something like thoughtful post creator! or maintains blog!). We'll definitely keep you updated on the direction badges end up heading, and eventually how you will be able to attain said badges.

With love,
Marissa

BreeZaps
11-22-2014, 08:56 PM
I have a question about colors. Could we test out a color to see if we like it before we waste our points? Can we even do that? Also when is these changes taking place?

marissachu
11-22-2014, 09:00 PM
I have a question about colors. Could we test out a color to see if we like it before we waste our points? Can we even do that? Also when is these changes taking place?

To my knowledge, colors will be done with color codes (which you can find with a google search). If you were to realize that some color is barely legible on a certain skin after the fact, we may listen to pleas if they are legitimate and infrequent and change name colors to something more visible for no cost.

These changes will be taking place over the next couple weeks, based on how much time Garth and Zach have to implement stuff (since some it requires a fair amount of fiddling with/coding). Things like the arcade and badges will probably take effect once we have a sufficient basis for what games/badges there will be. Don't worry, we'll keep you updated ^^

BreeZaps
11-22-2014, 09:16 PM
So is all the changes slowly coming out or all at once?

Dragonite
11-22-2014, 09:17 PM
To minimize the issue with being an eyesore, could you just whip up a predefined list of colors (i.e. the existing rank colors, which are decidedly legible) or do you think that would be too restrictive?

Also this probably won't go anywhere . . . but on a technical level, what are the games that are in the arcade made up of? I probably won't but I might cook up a silly HTML5 platformer or puzzle or something some weekend.

XpL
11-22-2014, 09:35 PM
So is all the changes slowly coming out or all at once?
Rolled out slowly over the next few weeks. I'd expect most of, if not all of what is mentioned in this OP to be deployed before January 2015. That's the most likely deadline, but more will be announced at a later date.

To minimize the issue with being an eyesore, could you just whip up a predefined list of colors (i.e. the existing rank colors, which are decidedly legible) or do you think that would be too restrictive?
Good idea. We can work on a thread with recommended colours to choose/not choose.

Also this probably won't go anywhere . . . but on a technical level, what are the games that are in the arcade made up of? I probably won't but I might cook up a silly HTML5 platformer or puzzle or something some weekend.
To my knowledge the plugin uses flash games. Not sure, will ping Garth to post in this thread for clarity.

Dragonite
11-22-2014, 09:46 PM
To my knowledge the plugin uses flash games. Not sure, will ping Garth to post in this thread for clarity.

aye, when I right click on the window it gives me a bunch of Flash Player options. There goes that idea, at least for now.

I feel like I'm missing something important here . . . anyhow, as far as badge ideas go, can we just chuck ideas/artwork for badges out into this thread or save it for later?

XpL
11-22-2014, 10:08 PM
Save it for later.

Blade Lord Nayru
11-22-2014, 10:19 PM
Like usertitles, could current colors be carried over to the new system? I feel like it would be nice to have something to remind you what they look like.

Dabottle
11-22-2014, 10:54 PM
No **** pink

Lunar Noctowl
11-23-2014, 01:46 AM
Everything I agree with except for adding points, adding badges and escpecially removing ranks.
In my opinion, ranks are a really fun implement in the forums. I remember filling out a survey on this website about changes and I'm sure several people said to keep the ranking system. If spamming is the issue for the ranking system and they continue to do it, then BAN THEM. They will learn their lesson (hopefully) and will do better. There have been ranks ever since the start and I don't really see a reason to discard them. Am I making sense here, or am I just talkning nonsense?

Merga
11-23-2014, 02:28 AM
Everything I agree with except for adding points, adding badges and escpecially removing ranks.
In my opinion, ranks are a really fun implement in the forums. I remember filling out a survey on this website about changes and I'm sure several people said to keep the ranking system. If spamming is the issue for the ranking system and they continue to do it, then BAN THEM. They will learn their lesson (hopefully) and will do better. There have been ranks ever since the start and I don't really see a reason to discard them. Am I making sense here, or am I just talkning nonsense?

Here's what you don't get. People spam for ranks, all the time. That means we have to ban everyone, and if we do that, then people will not join because they can't post anywhere. Ranks are kind of meaningless now since everybody is reaching the highest rank, and if you really care about the color of your name, then just buy the color change with your points. Don't think it's going to be much. The one that is going to be big is the name change.

marissachu
11-23-2014, 02:41 AM

I just want to be clear about a few things. First of all, although about 1/3 people responded that they were happy with ranks as they were, the majority of people wanted something done with ranks. I appreciate the concern/comment, but we as the staff decided this would be the best option for a variety of reasons that I'll detail below.

First off, ranks are doing little for majority of members. Many old members have achieved the highest rank possible and many aren't motivated to further their rank. New members are often shunned/scared off partly because ranks imply some form of status (which is something several staff members/community members have voiced concern over as well) which takes a significant amount of time and almost an absurd amount of effort to obtain. There are people that have the post count to rank up but not the required amount of time on the forum or who have been here for years but don't have the post count to back up ranking up for ages.

I have no doubt that for you and for some members, ranks are definitely a motivating factor in posting. However, when I looked at the number of threads posted in yesterday between midnight and 8pm PST, under 10 threads had been posted in and the majority of those threads were either Mafia or PFG. I don't mean to imply these forums are not valuable, but the fact of the matter is that people are logging in but not posting. Ranks are not sufficient motivation for most members to post anymore. 30 people will be logged on at once and maybe two of them will actually post. We want this place to be active, and we decided ranks were not doing what we wanted to increase activity. In short, we are not removing ranks because people are spamming, we're removing them because they're doing nearly nothing to actually drive most members to post.
EDIT: I actually completely disagree with Merga here. There are a few members that have "spammed," but for the most part if someone is posting more that's a GOOD thing. Like I don't care if someone posts 20 times in a day as long as they aren't just 10 character spam messages. This rarely happens anymore and I haven't had to infract someone on this in years. Also, the people that are spamming for ranks have probably already been in trouble for other things. The average forum user is not spam-happy from my personal experience. I'm sure this may have been a problem before, but with a relatively small community now that continues to shrink, this is hardly a pressing issue.

Because we do want there to be some motivating factor, we decided that points and badges would be a fun way to give people who may be unsure whether they want to post or create a thread to do so. There is no obligation to seek out more points or badges, but just as you think ranks are fun, we hope that there will be some level of fun in gaining points/badges, getting to change your name color for yourself, have incentive to join tourneys, create thoughtful posts, interact with others more often, and potentially make use of the arcade.

I completely understand that these changes may seem drastic for some or confusing for those who voiced differing opinions via the survey (and I truly truly appreciate that so many of you filled it out). However, I ask that you all try to bear with us and be open to these new changes. We truly believe they will help move the forums in a good direction and increase the overall experience on the forums. Trust me, we took a long time to think about this and we would not do anything we weren't pretty dang confident in.

Lunar Noctowl
11-23-2014, 02:51 AM
Whatever, I don't care anyways :(

Rocket
11-23-2014, 02:54 AM
Time to post my thought. I'm not good at doing this kind of stuff, but I'll try to say my input.

1) I agree with the removal of the ranking system, yet I'll be sad to see it go at the same time. Of course, I'll get used to it.

2) I like the points system, and I like having a shop instead of a thread. This concept to me is the best of the new changes, and it will actually make me...think more

3) I have no interest on this topic, and I don't exactly care.

4) I'd love a blog system. It's way better than an AMA, plus we can talk about my problems and life.

5) I like this idea. It'd be cool to see what's going to go on there. Albeit I haven't used the arcade much since...that happened (If you get this, good for you!)

6) Well it's kinda obvious rules will be changed, TBH.

As for the name, we'll get that sorted out once these changes are name. I think it's not a good idea to change the forum name, but we'll get that straight later.

Flubbs
11-23-2014, 03:03 AM
As for the name, we'll get that sorted out once these changes are name. I think it's not a good idea to change the forum name, but we'll get that straight later.

For now, we have no intention of changing the name of the site.

Prospering
11-23-2014, 03:21 AM
The points system may still lead to people spamming. Those who have a bad rep and don't expect to be acknowledged for their posts could still spam to earn points. Now this next idea may anger some, but I think the forums should be moderated in a stricter fashion. People get away with breaking the rules and if they aren't punished for it then they will probably do it again. I also wish that the community could of had a bigger part in these changes because I was unaware of the badges idea. The community only was able to give input on whether to get rid of ranks or not and what to add. I do agree with the changes, but it didn't seem like the community had a lot of say in them.

Blade Lord Nayru
11-23-2014, 03:32 AM
could of

Incorrect grammar should be against the rules :kappa:

XpL
11-23-2014, 03:34 AM
The points system may still lead to people spamming. Those who have a bad rep and don't expect to be acknowledged for their posts could still spam to earn points. Now this next idea may anger some, but I think the forums should be moderated in a stricter fashion. People get away with breaking the rules and if they aren't punished for it then they will probably do it again. I also wish that the community could of had a bigger part in these changes because I was unaware of the badges idea. The community only was able to give input on whether to get rid of ranks or not and what to add. I do agree with the changes, but it didn't seem like the community had a lot of say in them.
Now I'm going to leave the suggestion of a stricter moderation up in the air; ask members here in 2010/2011. The 12 staff members who took part in this chat represent the community. All of us came from the community and were born in the community. A large portion of us were around in 2009 and two notable individuals in 2008 Spruz. I think we have a fantastic team of individuals who are very much aware of the forum and it's needs because 5 years later, the community has not changed in it's desires since 2008.

Dragonite
11-23-2014, 03:42 AM
I think the forums should be moderated in a stricter fashion.

I don't think "stricter moderation" is the right word, maybe "more careful moderation." "Stricter" makes it sound like we're going to start being more conservative with the rules, not more dynamic. The case I think appears most often is "bumping old threads with relevant posts" vs. "looking for ways to boost post count." Zach said in OP he's fine with people bumping threads with relevant posts, but there has to be a line somewhere, and where it is could make all the difference in the world.

Cutiepuffle
11-23-2014, 03:55 AM
Oh boy. I feel like points will cause more spam. As a Nuzlocker, I am used to doing massive sessions of grinding. If I would want to buy all the priveleges with the points, I (hypothetically, so calm down) may start "grinding" my posts. I don't think it will happen, but still somehing to think about. To fix this, I suggest that playing in the Arcade gives you points.

I hope we have the option to keep our rank color for free or not. Also, plz implement blogs ASAP.

marissachu
11-23-2014, 03:55 AM
As mentioned before, there will definitely be revision of the rules in the future. There are some archaic rules that aren't enforced because (as Zach did mention) there's really no issue with someone bumping a thread or double posting if the post is relevant and has some amount of new content in it. If we appear lax now, it's probably in part because most of the mods choose not to enforce these old rules that make no sense and don't serve any purpose. For me, once we establish what actually needs to be enforced to help the forums be a safe/fun/functioning place, then we can make sure things get done. This will be upcoming along with the other changes, have no fear.

But also remember, one of our main goals is to encourage activity. If we make a million rules and infract every one of the members of fairly small community for each tiny misstep, I don't think we're really accomplishing anything. The difference for me lies in what level of strictness fosters good community relations/growth and what is merely trivial punishment that makes people feel like they're facing the wrath of dictatorial staff members all the time.

ALSO (edit), for all those worrying that points will encourage spamming. Points are not going to be solely equivalent to number of posts (1 point =/= 1 post). They will be based on a number of factors and tbh if people are spamming I think we should probably be able to take away points if that's possible. We will make clear the exact translation of actions (taking part in tourneys, posts, etc.) into points when the system is worked out. If spamming becomes a serious factor then we will set stricter rules if needed, but I think people are really blowing the spamming thing out of proportion. There have been a few notable "spammers," but most of your fellow community members are aware of what spam is and it has not been a significant issue. Posting a lot is not a bad thing, it's the posting no content or being rude that is, and we will definitely try to take action if people are acting thus.

Prospering
11-23-2014, 04:02 AM
The forum has been dying, and I've been noticing the lack of punishment on those who break the rules which may or may not contribute to the lack of members. There have been changes over the years, we could rely on Eyan to provide us with new members, active members etc. Now we are all on our own and have to obtain new members. The majority of people here are older than they were back in '09. (from what ive heard) The people from five years ago may be veterans and are experienced, but you need to see everyone's opinions not the select few who were from '09. I can imagine the majority of staff having similar opinions due to their slight gap between when they joined '09,'10, and only one that joined after that. Twelve people of nearly the same age and same join date will most likely have different opinions on those who joined '12-present and are younger. A mix of the two opinions would benefit the site more.

Edit: I don't mean to be extremely strict like infract for every mistake, but to enforce the rules a bit more. There are occasional fights and flaming in the chat that seems to go untouched and yes I've been involved in some of that. I feel that I didn't take the punishment that was deserved from what I did and I continue to see that happen.

Dragonite
11-23-2014, 04:02 AM
Historically, the trouble hasn't been with the people who log in once a day (the exceptions can be counted on my ears) but the people who see a forum and think they're going to be the best very best, proceed to anger a lot of people, get in trouble and never log on again.

SFB
11-23-2014, 04:03 AM
I demand my own rank Zach. You have 20 minutes to comply

EDIT: TIME IS TICKING

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5077/5836385688_0a4cb6ece2_n.jpg
EDIT 2: TIME IS ALMOST UP

BreeZaps
11-23-2014, 04:08 AM
To fix this, I suggest that playing in the Arcade gives you points.

Bad idea. I can't play there as I can only use a iPad and that laptop is broken.

Blade Lord Nayru
11-23-2014, 04:11 AM
Bad idea. I can't play there as I can only use a iPad and that laptop is broken.

That's just too bad, but so is the fact that I'm too poor to afford ORAS. Unlike ORAS, however, the points can be obtained in other ways. It's not a problem.

EpicCh33se
11-23-2014, 04:13 AM
Twelve people of nearly the same age and same join date will most likely have different opinions on those who joined '12-present and are younger. A mix of the two opinions would benefit the site more.

If it helps, I qualify for the group you mentioned.

Also, if "points" sounds too boring, what do you guys think could be a cool name for the currency?

Prospering
11-23-2014, 04:15 AM

Also, if "points" sounds too boring, what do you guys think could be a cool name for the currency?
Other than you, flubbs joined in '12 im pretty sure.

BreeZaps
11-23-2014, 04:17 AM

Skarm cash.

Merga
11-23-2014, 04:21 AM

Dogecoin

Dragonite
11-23-2014, 04:22 AM
"Zeal Dollars."

Bree's point is sort of interesting, though, I'm not objected to the arcade -> points but don't make it a stupidly overpowered way to grind them out. A unit per hour of play, or something.

mega go away >:

Red
11-23-2014, 04:25 AM
Name it Zenny and intensify the weeaboo

marissachu
11-23-2014, 04:32 AM
Okay seriously as much as y'all are lovely/charming, I'm going to actually go all strict if this thread becomes an unproductive mess. If you want to contribute ideas about names, please either be serious or post some actual content/thoughts as well. Remember that there are plenty of threads to be cool and random in if you want, but please keep this thread related to the actual future of the forum stuff.

Love
Marissa

XpL
11-23-2014, 04:37 AM
The forum has been dying, and I've been noticing the lack of punishment on those who break the rules which may or may not contribute to the lack of members. There have been changes over the years, we could rely on Eyan to provide us with new members, active members etc. Now we are all on our own and have to obtain new members. The majority of people here are older than they were back in '09. (from what ive heard) The people from five years ago may be veterans and are experienced, but you need to see everyone's opinions not the select few who were from '09. I can imagine the majority of staff having similar opinions due to their slight gap between when they joined '09,'10, and only one that joined after that. Twelve people of nearly the same age and same join date will most likely have different opinions on those who joined '12-present and are younger. A mix of the two opinions would benefit the site more.

Edit: I don't mean to be extremely strict like infract for every mistake, but to enforce the rules a bit more. There are occasional fights and flaming in the chat that seems to go untouched and yes I've been involved in some of that. I feel that I didn't take the punishment that was deserved from what I did and I continue to see that happen.
Unfortunately if someone hasn't been a part of the community, it's difficult for them to provide valuable insight into problems. A lot of their suggestions may be rejected because of past experience or lack thereof. You can only trust me when I say that the 12 staff are capable to provide the necessary viewpoints.

We can arrange the mods to be tighter, stricter and more trigger happy. But I don't think you want to have XpL 2010 reincarnated.

sonriopoby123
11-23-2014, 08:08 AM
Zach Cash sounds nice :>

Eltafez
11-23-2014, 11:46 AM
I like the sound of Skarm Cash.

And I think these changes will be beneficial to the community. I look forward to seeing what the future holds for these forums.

Tainers14
11-23-2014, 01:31 PM

Let me clarify on this. I know Marissa touched up on it already but you get points by making QUALITY posts. Not quantity posts. 1 post =/= 1 point. If you manage to spam high quality posts, then you deserve your points. This may seem like a dumb idea when you first hear this, but there are other ways to earn points. We just want to encourage discussion. Right now the biggest problem with the forums is that there's no real healthy discussion (except for news/suggestions) and it kind of makes me sad since it feels like no one really cares to what others have to say anymore. In the past couple of weeks there were some really interesting topics made in general discussion, and no one's really discussing anything.

On your suggestion about tighter moderation. In the past, when we had a certain strict moderator, it actually made very bright forum members to stop coming to the forums. Right now we really can't afford to lose people to silly reasons like that so it's in the best interest to instead of using moderation powers to tell people to chill but rather try and help to solve the current issue. I am a strong believer of not getting punished for fighting. I am a believer in making sure that they resolve their issue and agree to get along. I think our british friend XpL wants to revamp the rules so that might change the way moderation works.

Oh boy. I feel like points will cause more spam. As a Nuzlocker, I am used to doing massive sessions of grinding. If I would want to buy all the priveleges with the points, I (hypothetically, so calm down) may start "grinding" my posts. I don't think it will happen, but still somehing to think about. To fix this, I suggest that playing in the Arcade gives you points.

I hope we have the option to keep our rank color for free or not. Also, plz implement blogs ASAP.

Refer to what I said to UV about quality posts.

You bring up a good point about having diverse opinions in the staff.

First. Garth, Flubbs and ch33se are all post 2012. Maybe Mega is as well? I am not so sure. Anyways, I agree that having opinions of newer forum people is a healthy way to bring in new discussion. You gotta remember that we have suggestion threads. And to be honest, sometimes people bring up great ideas. And when they do I'll bring it up with some of the other staff and we'll discuss it. And if you don't think we listen to suggestions, keep in mind that the most active section is the suggestions section.

And remember there are some of us who have been here for a while and we've seen a bunch of different changes that work and changes that fail miserably. And remember, there's a bunch of behind the scenes stuff that the forum members don't know about regarding certain issues involving metal birds. So when it came to issues such as name change they didn't have all the information certain staff members have.

Weirdly enough during the staff meeting everyone was agreeing on new ideas. No one had strong opinions against the current ideas that are being presented.

---------------------------------------------------------

OKAY THIS PART IS IMPORTANT I SWEAR

To me the most important problem right now is not the 'no new members' but it's definitely that there is very little discussion in the other sections. Staff will work hard to promote discussion but you the forum members also have to contribute your weight! In the social section, try talking more often to other people. Don't just state your opinion and peace out. Ask them questions. Tell them they are beautiful when no one likes their post. IDK just promote activity.

Forums are driven by the members and it comes down to you guys to make these forums more active

X!!
11-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Okay, I spend the whole day in church and everyone else spends the whole day typing up seven pages of discussion. Fantastic. Reading is fun.

1. Removal of the Ranking system
2. Points System

I'm down with exchanging the ranking system with the points system. Also, I'm curious. How will the "quality" of a post be measured? Is it the number of characters in the post? The number of likes the post gets? Will the posts be manually reviewed? (lol good luck staff). Also, will you be able to get the option of donating points to other people? This way, gfx artists could actually get paid for their work. You could also have the option to donate to anyone you want if you want to lend people points or simply give them points for no reason. This idea may or may not lead to fighting or arguments, but I think it can be controlled. Oh, and if the Battle Rankings ever get revived, can we pay points to get a custom weapon or something? Of course, the custom weapon can start off weak, and you could pay for your weapon to get some sort of buff. I think it might be kind of fun. I can see a lot of possibilities with the points system. This would be a nice system to have.

Btw, let me ask Zach to put in an emoticon of my choice before we remove the ranking system because Lyra users have that privilege and I haven't used it once.

3. Badge System

Fun little pointless thing just for fun is fun. If you're willing to go through the effort of coming up with a crap ton of badge designs and ideas for badges, then by all means, go for it. I'm not against this, but I think it'll be a lot of work.

4. Blog section

Basically the vent thread + AMA + the story of me getting a bowl of cereal for breakfast. I think having this being accessed by paying with points is a good idea, so that not everyone would make a thread and have only one post in it. It also gives the member who payed for it incentive to post because they would probably think "I payed for this, so I might as well use it."

5. Arcade revamp

As exciting as this sounds, I think it will die quickly, because there isn't much point in playing PacMan or Asteroids when you can play the more fun console games and stuff. There might be some hope for this though. I like the idea of having members who know who to program games submit original games.

6. The Rules

This is obvious. Make whatever changes you think are necessary. I would like the censor system removed though.

XpL
11-23-2014, 04:27 PM
I'll address a couple things here:

How will the "quality" of a post be measured? Is it the number of characters in the post? The number of likes the post gets? Will the posts be manually reviewed?
The system is being finalised. An idea of mine is to collect posts over a fortnight or monthly period and at the end of which, reward the users with extra points. What I'd imagine being implemented is a low base rate of post->points with extra points awarded on an individual case by case business. This is a very valid concern, and it is being worked on for solutions.

Also, will you be able to get the option of donating points to other people? This way, gfx artists could actually get paid for their work. You could also have the option to donate to anyone you want if you want to lend people points or simply give them points for no reason. This idea may or may not lead to fighting or arguments, but I think it can be controlled.
Similar to the concept of a point store in of itself, extra features or tweaks are limited by the technical functionality of implementing them. We are awaiting details of what can be achieved with the system. Await further news from Garth.

I doubt however we will enable donating of points. They stand as gratifying achievement for the user. However, the accolades are within the badges, which have a much stricter requirements for unlocking. Someone with 10k points is not equal to someone with 5k points, but twice as many badges. The points are not intended to reflect anything but a currency stepping stone between the user and forum features.

However, exchange of points for goods (GFX) is a different matter and is a very good point you raise. It will be taken into consideration.

Oh, and if the Battle Rankings ever get revived, can we pay points to get a custom weapon or something? Of course, the custom weapon can start off weak, and you could pay for your weapon to get some sort of buff. I think it might be kind of fun.
The Battle Rankings will unlikely return unless we create a method to regulate the core gameplay mechanic. (Ie. no cheating). Right now it relies on honest play, which the organisers have no way of monitoring. Unfortunately, in this first stage of the forum revamp it is not a high priority.

Fun little pointless thing just for fun is fun. If you're willing to go through the effort of coming up with a crap ton of badge designs and ideas for badges, then by all means, go for it. I'm not against this, but I think it'll be a lot of work.
Nothing of value comes from low effort input. Consider the metaphor of setting up a new YouTube/Twitch channel in an oversaturated market.

Basically the vent thread + AMA + the story of me getting a bowl of cereal for breakfast. I think having this being accessed by paying with points is a good idea, so that not everyone would make a thread and have only one post in it. It also gives the member who payed for it incentive to post because they would probably think "I payed for this, so I might as well use it."
The blog section will have a stricter entry requirement and a high expectation for quality content to compensate.

Prospering
11-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Now this may have been discussed behind the scenes, but if name changes are available and are cheap then I can imagine the constant changing of usernames over a short time period. Are there any advertising methods (other than the community youtube channel) that will be used? Will the community stream become a thing? Will any current sections be removed because it seems like some have gone in to the dirt and aren't used. Will there be a minecraft server coming? (I don't play the game but see this asked often) With everyone turning back to normal user after the changes how will a new member be able to distinguish the difference between a staff and regular member? Will staff have some badge of some sort? Will there be a badge for the time spent on the site? (Two years for those who joined in '12, etc.) Will posts actually get stickied that may lead to more conversation? Any target age demographic or are you guys just planning to get anyome (no matter what age) on the site?

BreeZaps
11-23-2014, 06:25 PM
So to get a blog do we buy it or is it given to us depending on how well of a user we are?

Prospering
11-23-2014, 06:36 PM
So to get a blog do we buy it or is it given to us depending on how well of a user we are?

You buy it with points.

Uzi
11-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Now this may have been discussed behind the scenes, but if name changes are available and are cheap then I can imagine the constant changing of usernames over a short time period.
people will always change their name constantly and there's nothing you can do about it. with it costing points or whatever, it limits the rate at which they change their name since they'd have to gain the points from something, so it generates forum activity in the end.

Are there any advertising methods (other than the community youtube channel) that will be used?
advertising is something that has not been discussed as of yet but from what i understand currently eyan is supposed to be putting a link to the forum in his videos/the stream overlay. but who knows how that will pan out.

Will the community stream become a thing?
from the few times it's happened i saw little interest in it from the community so i highly doubt it will ever return unless there's a sudden demand for it.

Will any current sections be removed because it seems like some have gone in to the dirt and aren't used.
a revamp of the forums sections were briefly discussed and we concluded that many of the sections people find as "dead" are ones many people find enjoyable. i personally think the fire emblem section is dead, but people like dabottle or urist may find things they wish to discuss in detail there. the same applies to the competitive pokemon section with it's few posters. there's no need to remove those sections which have their own niche.

With everyone turning back to normal user after the changes how will a new member be able to distinguish the difference between a staff and regular member? Will staff have some badge of some sort?
staff usernames will remain the same as they are now and they'll get a badge of some sort. normal members will not be able to have bolded usernames.

Will there be a badge for the time spent on the site? (Two years for those who joined in '12, etc.)
sure.

Will posts actually get stickied that may lead to more conversation?
there should be no need to sticky a thread that will promote active discussion. simple question simple answer threads will always exist but people simply need to make their own threads where discussion is promoted.

Any target age demographic or are you guys just planning to get anyome (no matter what age) on the site?
the age demographic of the site currently is something that everyone is comfortable with. in the end this is still just a pokemon forum primarily so the appeal of the site doesn't go past the age of 25 really.

BreeZaps
11-23-2014, 07:39 PM
Could rainbow color usernames be very expensive?

XpL
11-23-2014, 07:56 PM
Likely on launch only basic colour code usernames will be available due to technical limitations. This is all subject to change.

Dragonite
11-23-2014, 08:19 PM
I remember asking Zach for a rainbow username once, and I remember he denied it on a basis of "everyone would want one and the forum would look stupid" rather than "vbulletin doesn't allow it."

Blade Lord Nayru
11-23-2014, 08:33 PM

You trying to kill us?

I think rainbow usernames should not be a thing unless it was restricted somehow

Dragonite
11-23-2014, 08:36 PM
Hate to be the harbinger of bad news, but:

I regretfully won't be able to upload today because of how the day played out, I may also start stream slightly later than planned.

Source (https://twitter.com/TheKingofZeal/status/536618979910250496)

Looks like it's time to move on.

Shaymin
11-23-2014, 08:37 PM
You trying to kill us?

I think rainbow usernames should not be a thing unless it was restricted somehow

Eh, it doesn't look that bad, if I remember correctly. Now if you have a lot of saturation in the colors, then it looks bad. I don't think it even needs to be at full saturation in order to give a headache to someone, but I don't know what the percentages are for them to be in an okay range.

(Of course, you can always ignore me since I've played in Photoshop enough that images with moderately staggering colors (http://s614.photobucket.com/user/Waves107/media/Sets/XvtX6.png.html?sort=3&o=73) don't hurt my eyes anymore and that may be applicable to username colors.)

SuperSceptile
11-23-2014, 08:39 PM

Did anyone really expect anything different? Eyan just doesn't want to upload anymore, and that's fine. At this point we just need to move on.

BreeZaps
11-23-2014, 08:55 PM
Did anyone really expect anything different? Eyan just doesn't want to upload anymore, and that's fine. At this point we just need to move on.

He's gonna upload tomorrow. He could not upload today because life. His grandma is sick.

Also if we're adding more arcade games can we fix the arcade skin?

XpL
11-23-2014, 08:56 PM

I regretfully won't be able to upload today because of how the day played out, I may also start stream slightly later than planned.

Source (https://twitter.com/TheKingofZeal/status/536618979910250496)

This is nothing new. Only thing time it's happened 3 days in a row after our 'ultimatum'.
Let's go.

If the case and he would rather stream, he should just come clean and front about it imo,

Blade Lord Nayru
11-25-2014, 06:02 PM
Rumors are spreading that the rank system has been removed already. Could someone correct or confirm this?

Dragonite
11-25-2014, 06:39 PM
as far as I can tell people are still painted colors based on how many posts they have. Though it's possible that ranks have been removed and the forum hasn't changed all our colors to default or anything yet, i guess.

SuperSceptile
11-25-2014, 06:45 PM
Well on another note Eyan uploaded oras so we'll see how that goes.

Dragonite
11-25-2014, 06:46 PM
aye, but the deal was for him to put it up on Sunday . . . which he didn't do . . .

He also said on stream that he'll "probably" log into the forums again "some time around Christmas break . . ."

BreeZaps
11-25-2014, 06:47 PM
as far as I can tell people are still painted colors based on how many posts they have. Though it's possible that ranks have been removed and the forum hasn't changed all our colors to default or anything yet, i guess.

If that were true, I would not still have the power to change my title.

I'm really gonna miss all the powers that I have right now. :/

SuperSceptile
11-25-2014, 06:53 PM
I don't care if he logs in. At this point he needs to log in and update for us. He needs to tell us the situation himself.

SFB
11-25-2014, 11:17 PM
aye, but the deal was for him to put it up on Sunday . . . which he didn't do . . .

He also said on stream that he'll "probably" log into the forums again "some time around Christmas break . . ."

Which Christmas Break? Next year or the year after?

Dragonite
11-25-2014, 11:28 PM
he didn't specify, I'll inquire next time he goes live

Zachgoose
11-26-2014, 04:45 AM
10/10, SFB.

Anyway, these changes probably won't be rolled out until early December.

Also, it's not worth worrying about Eyan right now. It took him 3 days to upload the part, when he clearly had ample time to do it as he was streaming. If he wants to log on here then good for him. If not, whatever.

Dragonite
11-26-2014, 11:54 PM
If that were true, I would not still have the power to change my title.

I'm really gonna miss all the powers that I have right now. :/

So, I've either forgotten how to navigate UCP or the box to change your usertitle is gone. However, my name is still fuchsia and my title is still JOOR ZAH FRUL. Uh, do we still have ranks . . . or not?

Dabottle
11-27-2014, 12:10 AM
http://i.imgur.com/3edUQI5.png

Dragonite
11-27-2014, 12:13 AM
okay, so I forgot how to navigate UCP.

Today is not my day.

Uzi
11-27-2014, 12:23 AM
literally nothing has changed as of this moment.

chill out fam

sonriopoby123
11-27-2014, 08:21 PM
can we get new skins

XpL
11-27-2014, 08:50 PM
make your own skins

Soon™. They're very intensive and right now we have higher priorities than the skins. It would also help to fix the 2 new skins and remove the outdated ones first before considering making new ones.

BreeZaps
11-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Yes please. The arcade skin is ****ed up and no one has bothered to fix it.

XpL
11-27-2014, 09:01 PM
Yes please. The arcade skin is ****ed up and no one has bothered to fix it.

This is a rather ignorant statement that inadvertently insults Garth, who by all accounts is doing a fantastic job not only managing the behind the scenes of this site, but his own real life commitments and education. And out of the things to do on the forums anyway, the skin for an arcade no one even uses is hardly a huge priority right now.

I think it's quite rude to say 'no one has bothered to fix it' since the issue has been investigated and deemed to require a reasonable portion of time, hence not fixed immediately.

BreeZaps
11-27-2014, 09:06 PM
Oh alright, sorry.
I just thought that Garth kept forgetting to fix it. I guess that it takes time.
I'll leave this post up for a hour before deleting both posts. You do the same and lets put this behind our back.

Tainers14
11-27-2014, 09:20 PM
XpL needs to accumulate likes to deem his worthiness to the forum community.

Therefore idk if he should delete his post.

sonriopoby123
11-27-2014, 09:22 PM
the more likes he gets the closer he gets to be mod

BreeZaps
11-27-2014, 09:45 PM
Ok I'll leave my mistake up.
I'll be sure it never happens again btw.
Sorry guys and, Garth.

Uzi
11-27-2014, 10:59 PM
the more likes he gets the closer he gets to be mod

i think xpl has more administrative permissions than me at this point.

all he's missing is the color

Eltafez
11-27-2014, 11:14 PM
Yeah, I keep thinking he's a regular member. Until I see his name as the moderator of the mafia forum.

EDIT: I just thought of an idea, even though it'll probably not be approved.

On the last day we have the ranks, maybe we could allchange to whichever rank we want, just for that one day. I think that would be fun.

Cutiepuffle
11-28-2014, 04:25 AM
Yeah, I keep thinking he's a regular member. Until I see his name as the moderator of the mafia forum.

EDIT: I just thought of an idea, even though it'll probably not be approved.

On the last day we have the ranks, maybe we could allchange to whichever rank we want, just for that one day. I think that would be fun.

Dibs on admin rank. (Or SS rank for the trip which Eyan won't show up to)

BreeZaps
12-04-2014, 12:13 AM
Powers that normal users don't have that should be added once the rank system gets deleted.

Powers:
Members who have read this thread. Something you can see at the bottom of every thread to see who has seen it.
Seeing invisible members. Like whats the point of going invisible. I just want to see who's online or not.
Tagging threads.
Deleting posts.
Changing our profile looks.
Sig limit being big and videos allowed in sig.
Opening and closing threads.
Removing the limit on how many times you can play in the arcade.

Cutiepuffle
12-04-2014, 02:43 AM
Powers that normal users don't have that should be added once the rank system gets deleted.

Powers:
Members who have read this thread. Something you can see at the bottom of every thread to see who has seen it.
Seeing invisible members. Like whats the point of going invisible. I just want to see who's online or not.
Tagging threads.
Deleting posts.

Deleting posts should be given from the start. Because the noobs need it the most.

Eltafez
12-04-2014, 07:19 PM

Powers:
Tagging threads.
Deleting posts.

I agree with this, especially deleting posts.

Cutiepuffle
12-05-2014, 12:54 AM
Did Bree just like two posts that said the exact opposite thing?

BreeZaps
12-06-2014, 03:09 PM
So any updates on the changes?

XpL
12-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Nobody but moderators and admins should be able to see invisible users. The feature should either disabled sitewide, or the power restricted. This is something no regular user should have.

Likely to all be incorporated to the market.

imo all threads should be left open indefinitely, with only moderators etc being able to close them. Otherwise this could limit discussion.

Shaymin
12-06-2014, 04:06 PM

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of going invisible? I mean, some people do go invisible for their own reasons.

BreeZaps
12-06-2014, 04:11 PM
Nobody but moderators and admins should be able to see invisible users. The feature should either disabled sitewide, or the power restricted. This is something no regular user should have.

Likely to all be incorporated to the market.

imo all threads should be left open indefinitely, with only moderators etc being able to close them. Otherwise this could limit discussion.
I believe that we should be allowed to close our own threads. Our threads. Not the mods or anyone else. And if we want to close then we should be allowed to close them. OUR THREADS. NOT YOURS.
But then again why am I fighting you? It's gonna be pointless.

Zachgoose
12-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Users should be allowed to close their own threads for whatever reason.

Invisible users are tricky. Technically, we should just remove the feature altogether. In the current state of the forums, Ruby users and mafia have a small advantage since they can see invisible users. I've never used the mechanic because I think it's dumb to hide yourself like that, but clearly some users do like it for some reason.

Dragonite
12-06-2014, 04:30 PM
I believe that we should be allowed to close our own threads. Our threads. Not the mods or anyone else. And if we want to close then we should be allowed to close them. OUR THREADS. NOT YOURS.
But then again why am I fighting you? It's gonna be pointless.

that leaves open the problem of the spam bots. Who, if programmed properly, view replies to their threads as positive feedback - and we all know that if the IllegalPiratedContent.avi threads were left open we'd have at least twenty or thirty sarcastic replies before people got bored and moved on.

Invisible users are tricky. Technically, we should just remove the feature altogether. In the current state of the forums, Ruby users and mafia have a small advantage since they can see invisible users. I've never used the mechanic because I think it's dumb to hide yourself like that, but clearly some users do like it for some reason.

I'm on the fence about this. I use invisibility more often than not because I like meh illusion of anonymity. But, I also like to be able to see when someone's online and hiding because I like to know if they've, I don't know, gotten my PM yet or not. Which sort of, kind of, sort of defeats the whole purpose.

XpL
12-06-2014, 04:51 PM
Of course being able to close your threads wouldn't be a problem if there was an abundance of threads being posted.
It would seem unfair to close a very popular GD thread for some arbitrary reason. Perhaps personal threads such as blogs etc, but not "What's your favourite Colour?"

Kyoits
12-06-2014, 05:20 PM
i just go invisible so that i can fit in with the cool kids

BreeZaps
12-06-2014, 10:01 PM
that leaves open the problem of the spam bots. Who, if programmed properly, view replies to their threads as positive feedback - and we all know that if the IllegalPiratedContent.avi threads were left open we'd have at least twenty or thirty sarcastic replies before people got bored and moved on.

How about 5 posts before you unlock all the powers.

Eltafez
12-07-2014, 08:02 PM
That sounds like a good idea.

XpL
12-07-2014, 08:25 PM
That sounds like a bad idea.

BreeZaps
12-08-2014, 09:21 PM
That sounds like a bad idea.

Well not all the powers. Just the basics that a normal user should have.

Cutiepuffle
12-09-2014, 01:46 PM
How about the first post any user sends must be checked by staff before it is posted.

BreeZaps
12-10-2014, 02:43 AM
Can't wait for the changes to come out. So excited, including the blog place. I'll make a blog post of all my christmas gifts!!
^_^

Dragonite
12-10-2014, 03:14 AM
How about the first post any user sends must be checked by staff before it is posted.

let's just say this would be very inefficient on very many levels, and leave it at that.

XpL
12-10-2014, 06:57 AM
Sitewide filters that require moderator approval would be okay if the forum was stagnant or at it's current level, but if it ever picked up again, would be a problem.

chronoquairium
12-10-2014, 02:08 PM
I asked this a couple years ago, when I was still new to the forums. In the Arcade, is it possible to make a multiplayer game, like Chess? I'd <3 you forever if you made multiplayer Chess in the Arcade

BreeZaps
12-10-2014, 06:03 PM
I asked this a couple years ago, when I was still new to the forums. In the Arcade, is it possible to make a multiplayer game, like Chess? I'd <3 you forever if you made multiplayer Chess in the Arcade

IF we put multiplayer games in it will be all over. xD

Zachgoose
12-10-2014, 06:53 PM
chrono confirmed for wanting all of our free time to be consumed by this forum

BreeZaps
12-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Not trying to rush anyone but how is coding the updates doing? How much longer do we have?

Zachgoose
12-10-2014, 07:24 PM
The new system should be up before the end of the year, I can say that much.

Prospering
12-10-2014, 07:50 PM
Well if you guys are taking the Eyan approach towards implementing the new system then we may be elderly before the points system is released. We still are in desperate need of a way to advertise the forums and get it known. I searched janitorial 2.0 and the mafia thread came up lol. Generic mafia game titles may lead to people finding the forum by searching up terms like "classic mafia" or "fancy pants" etc.

Flubbs
12-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Well if you guys are taking the Eyan approach towards implementing the new system then we may be elderly before the points system is released.

The new system should be up before the end of the year, I can say that much.

That's.....within three weeks.

marissachu
12-10-2014, 08:04 PM
Please bear in mind although all of the staff is interested in improving the forums, Garth is the one doing the majority of the hard work in terms of coding and working with the vbulletin stuff. He is a person with a life and other priorities, but has been working hard to implement the improvements so that we can see them by 2015.

Patience would be greatly appreciated, and please realize that when you make requests that these are more things to add to Garth's already substantial to-do list. This does not mean you should not suggest things you believe might be valuable to the forums, but try to consider whether the request would be beneficial to enough people to warrant making Garth do even more work. Also, remember that things said in this thread are suggestions and the staff may not be able to implement everything due to concerns or difficulties in terms of coding/other issues. Just because a suggestion is not acted upon does not mean we do not value your suggestions/feedback.

Thank you for your understanding.

sonriopoby123
12-10-2014, 08:12 PM
please understand

Uzi
12-10-2014, 08:15 PM
thank you sonic mario pokemon kirby 123 for your contributions to the forum.

Dragonite
12-10-2014, 08:32 PM
and lack thereof

Zachgoose
12-10-2014, 09:10 PM
Like yeah Garth is doing work on this site at least an hour everyday. Keep in mind that he's got finals to take care of, and this is a busy time of year. When we make promises we mean them. :D

Where is ORAS part 3

Majorasfan
12-10-2014, 09:47 PM
As others have said, do keep in mind that this is finals season. Those sure aren't easy. I for one am done after this week, and I plan to see if there's anything I can do to help the process move forward. But yeah, we haven't forgotten, and I've been making plans for the blog section since we came up with ideas. We don't want to release a half-baked system and then have everyone lose faith. Someone mentioned that the end of the year is three weeks away, and that is true - but classes are over before then, and I think that's a realistic goal. I for one will work hard to make it a reality, and I know all of the staff feel the same.

Prospering
12-10-2014, 11:46 PM
Woah, you guys seem to be taking what i said out of proporrion. I was kidding about the whole "the points system will be done by the time we are elderly." What I was serious about is the lack of updates on how close or far you guys are from finishing the points system. I understand that it's the holiday season and many have to deal with testing and serious essays/ presentations etc. which is why I found it unlikely how one person can achieve the task of coding a huge addition to the forum within a short and busy time span. The lack of updates from staff about the release is what led me to my concerns, that's all.

Blue
12-22-2014, 08:49 AM
When the transition to this new system occurs, will you lose all your current rank privledges and have to rebuy them based on the points you get from the conversion, or will you keep what you have and just get points?

Zachgoose
12-22-2014, 09:01 AM
Rebuy. Most currently active users should have enough points to at least get a name color and a custom usertitle though.

Blue
12-22-2014, 09:11 AM
Rebuy. Most currently active users should have enough points to at least get a name color and a custom usertitle though.

When you buy usertitles, are you charged only once, and you're able to change it as many times as you wish, or are you charged every time you change it?

Tainers14
12-22-2014, 09:30 PM
You are charged for each change.

Username changes shouldn't be happening often.

Zachgoose
12-23-2014, 05:07 AM
The points system will be released on December 24th!

sonriopoby123
12-23-2014, 05:13 AM
what a lame christmas present

orangeftw
12-23-2014, 05:29 AM
ur a lame christmas present

Starry
12-23-2014, 07:25 AM
oooo dat burn!!

Anyways, I'm excited for the points system, especially since winning a Mafia game gets you points as well. Will we be getting points for winning tournaments as well?

Cutiepuffle
12-23-2014, 01:17 PM
Imagine lawsuits with the points system.

"YOU STOLE THAT ONE AVATAR I ONCE MADE BY USING PRINTSCREEN ON A VIDEO! HAND OVER THE 1000000 POINTS WORTH OF PICTURES YOU OWE ME."

Blue
12-23-2014, 06:36 PM
We should have a 50% off Christmas sale

Zachgoose
12-23-2014, 06:44 PM
Will we be getting points for winning tournaments as well?
Yes. 1st and 2nd place. The amount of points will depend on what game it is and how many players entered though.

So should YOUR MOM.

SuperSceptile
12-23-2014, 07:48 PM
Oh Oh WE SHOULD DO A SMASH TOURNEY TO TEST IT!

please

Prospering
12-23-2014, 07:53 PM
There was something with stealing points..... Can't wait.

Cutiepuffle
12-23-2014, 08:09 PM
So what will be converted into points?

Past Posts?
Past Likes?
Other stuff?
Nothing?

marissachu
12-23-2014, 08:13 PM
There should be a post when the system is released to let y'all know how everything works! If Zach wants to answer questions before then, that's fine, but otherwise just wait for tomorrow when all will be revealed...

Eltafez
12-23-2014, 08:18 PM

Yeah! It could be a Grand Opening Christmas sale! For Christmas Day only!

Kyoits
12-23-2014, 08:44 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Don't know why we wouldn't do it.

Dragonite
12-23-2014, 09:31 PM

then after that prices should double once every day :>

BreeZaps
12-23-2014, 11:19 PM
Will there be system where you can give points to people? Like if people start up avatar/sig shops again this will be useful.

Kyoits
12-23-2014, 11:20 PM
Will there be system where you can give points to people?

wouldnt that just be another version of rep though

Shaymin
12-23-2014, 11:32 PM
I feel what Bree means is a system where the points are transferred, not given. Or maybe that's just my imagination.

Zachgoose
12-23-2014, 11:38 PM
Yes you can transfer points to people

Cutiepuffle
12-23-2014, 11:38 PM
I'd imagine so, since GFX artists are supposed to be paid.

Also, can we have MoTM revived and the winners get point prizes.

Zachgoose
12-23-2014, 11:46 PM
If anyone that got the URL buys anything until we give the okay tomorrow I'm taking away all your points.

The system is not done yet and it is being tested / new features are being added.

Kyoits
12-23-2014, 11:46 PM
I feel what Bree means is a system where the points are transferred, not given. Or maybe that's just my imagination.

Yes you can transfer points to people

oh. i must have misinterpreted what bree was saying

sonriopoby123
12-23-2014, 11:58 PM
I know the other user items are supposed to be for fun, but this can be taken advantage of. I'm kind of worried about these features.

Cutiepuffle
12-24-2014, 03:34 AM
Any confirmed date for blogs, badges, or arcade wipe?

Also, could we have kits in the points shop?

A Crystal Kit could come with blog section and the ability to lock/delete your own threads at a cheaper cost then buying them all individually, and so on.

Zachgoose
12-24-2014, 04:08 AM
Any confirmed date for blogs, badges, or arcade wipe?

Also, could we have kits in the points shop?

A Crystal Kit could come with blog section and the ability to lock/delete your own threads at a cheaper cost then buying them all individually, and so on.

Blogs will be available immediately in the store. Badge system is soon TM. :D It won't be out until January or February most likely.

I love your kit idea and will implement it now, actually. :O

Starry
12-24-2014, 04:16 AM
Will some of the items on the market be timed? Like will we have to pay a certain amount of points per month to keep up a blog or be able to lock/open our threads?

Zachgoose
12-24-2014, 04:16 AM
It depends on the purchase. Some last a week, most last at least 90 days, some last a year, and some last forever.

X!!
12-24-2014, 04:35 AM
I need to save up to buy the "Ban a member for a day" thing so that I can ban Zach.

Time to make ANOTHER gfx shop.

Eltafez
12-24-2014, 05:00 AM
Wait...we can actually ban each other for a day? What's the purpose of that?

Kyoits
12-24-2014, 05:01 AM
To troll. Why else?

Eltafez
12-24-2014, 05:03 AM
Okay....well, sounds like an interesting thing.

Rocket
12-24-2014, 05:03 AM
That's obviously mean and could be payback.

marissachu
12-24-2014, 05:10 AM
Any weird things such as banning another user for a day will cost a small fortune and mostly be there so that people who have an abundance of points and no need to buy anything can have something to work toward/spend their points on. That way there's always something even after unlocking a blog/changing your username color/etc. ^^

Eltafez
12-24-2014, 05:12 AM
How do we know how many points we have?

Dragonite
12-24-2014, 05:12 AM
perhaps, "you need (arbitrary big number) points to ban a user for a day or change your name maybe, and doing so will reset your points to zero."

X!!
12-24-2014, 05:14 AM
How do we know how many points we have?

If you go to the Market, you can see how many points you have. Also, earlier in the chatbox, Zach said that no one has over 3000 points.

perhaps, "you need (arbitrary big number) points to ban a user for a day or change your name maybe, and doing so will reset your points to zero."

what's the point of having a price for the item when your points will just be reset to 0?

Dragonite
12-24-2014, 05:20 AM
what's the point of having a price for the item when your points will just be reset to 0?

So that the only people who would actually carry through with it are the ones who really, really want to.

marissachu
12-24-2014, 05:22 AM
Think of it like an actual market. Even if you go to the market with 100 dollars and find a 100 dollar item, you have to give the cashier the money (you don't get to just claim anything that's 100 bucks or less).

That way if you REALLY wanted to get a big ticket item you can't just ban a million people or will have to choose between a blog and a ban or something of that variety. You can't just have it all because you've amassed a decent sum of points

sonriopoby123
12-24-2014, 05:46 AM
RIP RANKSc

Kyoits
12-24-2014, 05:50 AM
they were cool while they lasted

Krauersaut
12-28-2014, 07:40 PM
i leave for one year and THIS is what happens ?_?

Cutiepuffle
12-28-2014, 08:59 PM
So, exactly, what is the problem that is keeping the points from being released? Is it unfinished, actually BEING HACKED BY UNKNOWN VISIONS, or is there some bugs that need fixing?

If I buy a purple name and then a green name, do I have to buy purple again if I wanted to change back, or can I change back for free?

Also, one more thing. Zach/Garth, can you make an update log on the points system?

XpL
12-28-2014, 11:19 PM
Points system is being reworked from scratch due to a programming error. Expect a delay due to this and subsequent testing to ensure it won't get HACKED BY UNKNOWN VISIONS again.

Prospering
12-29-2014, 12:16 AM
Points system is being reworked from scratch due to a programming error. Expect a delay due to this and subsequent testing to ensure it won't get HACKED BY UNKNOWN VISIONS again.

I didn't hack it... I accessed it without permission ; ) and as far as I know it didn't mess up the market.

Blade Lord Nayru
12-29-2014, 12:25 AM
I hope this isn't like ZU maintenance. It's been going for weeks.

Tainers14
12-29-2014, 01:06 AM

This joke has prolly been made before but....

<hacker voice> I'm in!

marissachu
12-29-2014, 05:32 AM
The problem was more that because certain people found access to the points market and started buying stuff before the release, the rest of the staff couldn't be consulted on some things and it got rushed out to the general public.

That being said, Garth is working hard on a code that fixes some of the original bugs and we've compiled a list of things that need to be addressed. Look forward to seeing the points system back and better than ever soon :)

Blue
12-31-2014, 02:55 AM
Since the code for the market system is being rewritten, will we lose all our current purchases and have to buy everything again?

BreeZaps
01-06-2015, 05:35 PM
Did we lose our colors?

But I bought the blog place. Did I just waste my money?

marissachu
01-06-2015, 09:13 PM
Garth is writing a new code for the points system because the other one was not working as intended.

Because the entire system (the mechanical aspects, at least) is different you should not lose any previously spent points, but note that things were essentially reset so that the system itself could be changed.

Christian
04-15-2015, 07:32 AM
I feel like this is a good idea, and better in general. It'll feel more like a community when people are not spamming threads with meaningless stuff just to get that one extra post.