PDA

View Full Version : Amiibo play

Majorasfan
12-01-2014, 07:13 AM
So my friend recently got the new Smash for Wii U, and he also got an Amiibo Link with it. He's spent hours with it, and it's really cool to see how much these things learn. It's not bad, especially for an AI. it's leagues better than the level 9 CPUs. I was just curious, who else has gotten or tried an Amiibo with their Smash?

As for me, even though I don't own a Wii U, I plan to get a Bowser Amiibo and make it awesome through my friend's Wii U. xD

Zekrom man
12-17-2014, 02:33 AM
In my opinion, it's really gimmicky and I feel no need to go out and collect them all.

Aaron
12-28-2014, 08:30 PM
Bump

At some point next year Amiibos will be able to be registered and trained on the 3DS through the use of the peripheral. I plan on getting a Captain Falcon Amiibo and a Sonic Amiibo to mark the occasion ^_^

SuperSceptile
12-28-2014, 08:38 PM
I have a yoshi and a link. My link is leagues better because I went 1 on 1 with it as link myself. I leveled the yoshi by pitting it against level 9's. It's better than level 9 cpus, but it isn't nearly as good as my link. So take it from me, go 1 on 1 with your amiibos. Also, I pre ordered ike and megaman. So those are coming. I really like them, they look nice enough for what they are. Definitely worth it even just for collecters.

Majorasfan
12-29-2014, 10:16 PM
I have a yoshi and a link. My link is leagues better because I went 1 on 1 with it as link myself. I leveled the yoshi by pitting it against level 9's. It's better than level 9 cpus, but it isn't nearly as good as my link. So take it from me, go 1 on 1 with your amiibos. Also, I pre ordered ike and megaman. So those are coming. I really like them, they look nice enough for what they are. Definitely worth it even just for collectors.

My friend at college did the same thing and it's really good. It isn't as good as him in some things, but it's really reliable on its tech and whatnot. It can do perfect bomb recoveries and whatnot, crazy. Also perfect shielding. GG.

Roxas
12-29-2014, 11:04 PM
After reading up on the uses for these figures, I can only describe my opinion with a single word: Scam.

Zachgoose
02-06-2015, 06:00 PM
I have a Lucario amiibo that I've never opened... I'm being tempted to sell it though. They're going for like 45 bucks on eBay right now. o.o

SuperSceptile
02-06-2015, 06:44 PM
Do you live in the UK? Because I don't think wave three is out in America or canada yet.

Aaron
02-06-2015, 08:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOoJRPleJrI

OMG I WANT ONE OF THESE DONE FOR ME

Zachgoose
02-07-2015, 06:07 AM
Do you live in the UK? Because I don't think wave three is out in America or canada yet.

Me? Lucario isn't a part of wave 3. It was a special preorder not part of any wave. I live in U.S.

SuperSceptile
02-07-2015, 06:09 AM
I knew it was exclusive to toys r us but I figured it would release with wave three.

Zachgoose
06-22-2015, 05:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/rr22htC.jpg

Got two more guys today! ^_^

These are probably all the amiibo I'll ever get because they're so gosh darn expensive but I absolutely love them!

Aaron
06-22-2015, 07:37 PM
And here's me sitting here with not one Amiibo. I'm so basic.

Starry
06-22-2015, 09:33 PM
I am slowly travelling to Amiibo hell.

I have an Inkling Girl, Pikachu, and Luigi Amiibo.

I was content with just them a few days ago, but now that I've seen a few of the other ones.....

I'm going to be trying to get the Ness, Inkling Boy, Greninja, and Lucario Amiibos. But the Robin, Lucina, Little Mac, and Samus Amiibos look pretty cool too....

Bye bye money, hello Amiibo hell.

Also I found this from an Amazon Review.
" ***** Falcon for President:
I purchased this as a form of home security. After a series of break ins in my neighborhood, I was forced to look into various forms of protection for my home, and I believe this one is the best. I placed Captain Falcon behind my front door, ever watchful, and ever vigilant. Last Friday, I came home to a five dead thieves in my front yard. The coroner stated that it was if they had all been beaten to death with a large, fiery, blunt object.

Note: I leveled him up on Smash Brothers first. A level 1 Captain Falcon may not actually detect danger."

SuperSceptile
06-22-2015, 09:59 PM
I have too many.
Link
Mario
Yoshi
Pikachu
Kirby
Samus
Captain falcon
Little mac
Bowser
Ike
Sonic
Megaman
Inkling Boy
Inkling Girl

Help me pls.

Minntul
06-23-2015, 03:06 AM
I'd be down with the whole Amiibo stuff if I didn't feel like it was just Nintendo disguising on-disk DLC with already under-produced physical products. The extra challenges provided by the Splatoon Amiibo are already in the game but you absolutely need to pre-order that **** because god forbid Nintendo learn how big these things are after masses of complaints about their availability through many months. It was a fun idea for Smash 4, but the growing popularity of the Amiibo product is allowing Nintendo to get away with **** that people would rabidly attack other companies for doing. God forbid the next person to complain about Capcom selling palette changes for Street Fighter on day one of release will also be the person to gobble up on the Amiibo before they go out of stock.

Starry
06-23-2015, 06:36 AM
But Amiibos aren't just digital DLC. You can hold them in your hand. You can display them. You can play with them. You can keep them in the box till they are completely out of stock. You can't hold a palette change in your hand, or play with them in real life, etc.

It's like comparing a drawing to a physical model that also comes with the drawing.

Minntul
06-23-2015, 02:16 PM
At least with digital DLC I can purchase it any time I want without having to wait for it to go back in stock.

I don't care about the physical aspect of Amiibo. If I pay £30 for a game and know that a prolonging experience is locked from me and I have to shell out another £13 for a physical under-produced product I don't care about other than to just access content I already paid for that's on the disk(which means I should have access to), I'm not going to exclude Nintendo from this bs marketing practice other companies receive negativity from. In the end it won't matter because everyone allows a free pass for Nintendo when it comes to this for no real reason.

SuperSceptile
06-23-2015, 03:00 PM
At least with digital DLC I can purchase it any time I want without having to wait for it to go back in stock.

I don't care about the physical aspect of Amiibo. If I pay £30 for a game and know that a prolonging experience is locked from me and I have to shell out another £13 for a physical under-produced product I don't care about other than to just access content I already paid for that's on the disk(which means I should have access to), I'm not going to exclude Nintendo from this bs marketing practice other companies receive negativity from. In the end it won't matter because everyone allows a free pass for Nintendo when it comes to this for no real reason.

Amiibo has never kept out huge features from games. The splatoon challenges are fun distractions at best. I'm finding them a chore to play through.

Aaron
06-23-2015, 03:14 PM
But what Mental is saying is that it's like Street Fighter X Tekken all over again, when you're paying for stuff that's on the disk/cartridge already. Like with the Smash Bros. Amiibo. Why pay ridiculous amounts of money for a toy of a character that's already in the game? If they made Amiibo exclusive characters, I doubt it would be so bad. Annoying, certainly, but not like shelling out money for stuff that you can get from the start. My viewpoints are kinda similar to Mental's, I used to want Amiibo but when you really think about, it only appeals to collectors and people who just want them to have them. I'm not saying he's changed my opinion, though. I wouldn't mind if Nintendo made more of them so they weren't so expensive.

SuperSceptile
06-23-2015, 03:29 PM
But what Mental is saying is that it's like Street Fighter X Tekken all over again, when you're paying for stuff that's on the disk/cartridge already. Like with the Smash Bros. Amiibo. Why pay ridiculous amounts of money for a toy of a character that's already in the game? If they made Amiibo exclusive characters, I doubt it would be so bad. Annoying, certainly, but not like shelling out money for stuff that you can get from the start. My viewpoints are kinda similar to Mental's, I used to want Amiibo but when you really think about, it only appeals to collectors and people who just want them to have them. I'm not saying he's changed my opinion, though. I wouldn't mind if Nintendo made more of them so they weren't so expensive.
Amiibo exclusive characters would be on the disk. There's no way around putting the content on the disk. It's not like Capcom where they made you pay for a character that was on the disk. The amiibo functions in every game are minimal things that aren't necessary and are just nice little bonuses for people with them. That's all.

Aaron
06-23-2015, 05:13 PM
There's no way around putting the content on the disk.

The way I'm reading this as "there's no way to put content onto a game after it's released" but then I pose to you, what about Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy and Ryu? Were they all on the disk/cartridge when the game released? Because if they were, that's kind of a ****ty thing to do on Nintendo's part.

sonriopoby123
06-23-2015, 05:15 PM
People only found the Roy and Ryu data in that one update back in March. Of course they weren't on the disk at first.

Aaron
06-23-2015, 05:18 PM
People only found the Roy and Ryu data in that one update back in March. Of course they weren't on the disk at first.

Exactly. So Scept's point about not being able to add content after release is completely wrong. Meaning it would be perfectly plausible for them to add Amiibo-only character data during an update.

sonriopoby123
06-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Aside from that, yeah, I agree with Mental. I don't have a single Amiibo because the ones I want are expensive and I They don't even look that nice tbh

Why pay $30 for a few challenges provided by the Inklings when Nintendo could always easily just put them as digital DLC -_-

SuperSceptile
06-23-2015, 05:58 PM
Characters exclusive to amiibo would suck.
People would get so mad. There would be stock shortages.
If you put big features into amiibo it would be bad. That's why they have the small features.

Aaron
06-23-2015, 06:00 PM
That's why they have the small features.

Small features that, in the long run, really aren't worth paying for.

Zachgoose
06-23-2015, 07:45 PM
They're pretty damn high quality figurines. That's why they're worth so much, not for their actual functionality.

Say you're a huge Fire Emblem fan. Where else are you going to get an official figurine of your favorite FE characters?

Aaron
06-23-2015, 07:55 PM
Where else are you going to get an official figurine of your favorite FE characters?

But that only includes Marth, Roy, Ike, Robin and Lucina.

Starry
06-23-2015, 09:29 PM
No one cares about the rest of them Kappa

I can't really say because I don't have Smash on the Wii U, but from what I heard, the Amiibo figurines are great ways to train yourself/make a monster that can't be beaten. All of the Splatoon challenges are pretty fun as well, and when you count that it's an actual figurine that looks cool, it's definitely worth the $12.

I've already said, the difference between DLC and the small Amiibo challenges that ALSO come with the figurine is just that, they ALSO come with the figurine. There's a few shortages, but that's really only if you look for about five minutes in stores. Right now, I can find almost every Smash Amiibo new on Amazon for about $25, with the exception of Lucy and Samus who cost around $30. A lot of the shortages are due to the scalpers, really. But you can STILL find them for pretty low prices. (If you don't count shipping)

Also, if they were DLC fighters, the shortages would be waaaaay more. And they would probably have to have a patch for all of the Amiibo smashers, so if you didn't have an Amiibo ASAP it would still be on-disk DLC.

Also, please note that nothing you absolutely can't live without is on these figurines. Like Zach said, the main reason people like them is their looks, most people couldn't really care less about the Splatoon challenges, since they don't really give good rewards lol.

Cutiepuffle
06-24-2015, 03:22 AM
Honestly, I absolutely love the concept, but I feel Nintendo isn't using them to their full potential. Something where havin one figurine is ok, but there's still a bonus to the other figurines. Smash Bros. with the Amiibo fighters nailed it perfectly. That's why I went and bought a Yoshi. But Hyrule Warriors and Splatoon were just glorified DLC.

I want to see creative things like maybe a Double Dash mode in MK8 where each Amiibo (that is a playable character) you tap can act as your partner. Or maybe an Animal Crossing apartment where you can tap an Amiibo and that character will move into the apartment acting as a neighbor who will talk and give you missions for their game-themed objects.

Then if you have characters you cant see working anywhere else, use the dumb stuff like MK8 Mii costumes.

Starry
06-24-2015, 04:06 AM
For the Animal Crossing thing, wouldn't it have to be strictly the AC characters? Since non of the rest of them are really animals.

SuperSceptile
06-24-2015, 02:56 PM
My favorite use of amiibo is yarn yoshi.
Basically gives yoshi the color of the character.