PDA

View Full Version : New Market is Live!

Garthcune
01-09-2015, 07:13 AM
Hello, fellow SS members! I apologize for the delay, but the new market is finally live. After we noticed some issues with the vBulletin plugin that we originally installed, I decided to code my own from scratch. I've thoroughly tested the new system, and there are no issues that I am aware of. Please share your comments and suggestions below, and be sure to let me know if you notice any bugs.

Please give a huge thanks to Zachary. Without his hard work on the original points system, it would not have been possible to develop this new system!

About points:
All point totals have been reset. Your total points = 1 point per post + 5 points per thread. Posts and threads made in the Pointless Forum Games section are excluded and do not count. When I calculated the initial point totals, I capped them at 3,000 but it is possible to continue posting and gain points above this limit. "Liking" a post will give 1 point to that user.

Quick FAQ:

-Your signature (if it has HTML) and custom profile (if you have one) will still remain the same, but if you edit them, you cannot change them back without purchasing the corresponding items in the market.

-Mafia, tournaments, and various other events can get you additional points.

-You can open "shops" by making threads in a section and offering your services (such as art or writing) in exchange for points.

-A donation system will likely be coming soon. This site costs about 20 dollars a month and Garthcune pays for it out of pocket. You will be given points for your donations. Perhaps about 100 points per dollar?

-The most points any users have is 3000. There are about 10 users who had that many points. I will keep it a secret who does, but it should be easy to guess. :)

-1 post = 1 point. 1 thread = 5 points

-Here is an image depicting the available colors that users can change their usernames to featuring popular forum user Red:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3171278/Pictures/wtf/butts.png

Dragonite
01-09-2015, 07:31 AM
Please no L4L spam, people.

Anyway, you wrote it all from scratch? O________O Let's see how this goes . . .

Garthcune
01-09-2015, 08:49 AM
Please no L4L spam, people.

Anyway, you wrote it all from scratch? O________O Let's see how this goes . . .
Yeah, it was about 40 pages worth of code. I typed up most of it over the weekend.

If there's massive abuse of the like system then I'll code some limitations. For example, something that stops points from being given if a user receives more than 10 likes in a single day.

Blade Lord Nayru
01-09-2015, 08:53 AM
Good job on this. It's a really cool system and has so many options.

SuperSceptile
01-09-2015, 01:40 PM
Haha finally my name color is different! Great job garth, it was worth the wait. Also I totally didn't have over 3,000 points or anything ;)

BreeZaps
01-09-2015, 05:34 PM
>The most points any users have is 3000

can you tell me why theres a limit?
and with banning a user being 5000 it's kind of pointless imao. I guess I will have to post enough to get past 3000.

I bought the blog place so if you can let me make one it would be great. :)

Whats the difference between emote category and just adding one emote?

Also does the Lyra kit come with past powers or should I also buy the crystal kit?

Great work guys!

Aaron
01-09-2015, 05:40 PM
Compared to the last one, this one is much better. It's more easily accessible, easier to navigate and is also much nicer to look at. You never fail to astonish me with the constant and tireless effort you put into these here forums, Garth. Nice job :3

SuperSceptile
01-09-2015, 05:42 PM
Hey is there a way to buy permission to make a tourney? I assumed it would be in the Lyra pack but it isn't listed in the things you get.

Zachgoose
01-09-2015, 07:49 PM
>The most points any users have is 3000
The average active user only has like 500 points. We didn't want to make the top users have an absurd amount of points so we capped your initial amount at 3000. You can still gain over that much, obviously. There were about 10 users who had 3000 points.

Compared to the last one, this one is much better. It's more easily accessible, easier to navigate and is also much nicer to look at. You never fail to astonish me with the constant and tireless effort you put into these here forums, Garth. Nice job :3

Yeah he put so much work into this omg I feel so bad. It looks great though.

He is there a way to buy permission to make a tourney? I assumed it would be in the Lyra pack but it isn't listed in the things you get.

Will be added later!

Eltafez
01-09-2015, 07:51 PM
This is awesome! Thank you, Garthcune!

Dabottle
01-09-2015, 08:15 PM
Thank you so much for all of the work you've put into this, Garth! The interface is great too. ^^
And thank you for being so awesome and generous, Bree. ^^

Dragonite
01-10-2015, 03:55 AM
Suggestion: add option to sort market options by things like most popular, least expensive, permanent vs. temporary, etc.? Nothing game changing but it could be useful. And by that I mean I'm curious to see what the most popular purchases are without going and bugging the staff in the chatbox.

Shiningbolt
01-10-2015, 04:03 AM
This point system is actually a really good way to encourage forum activity. And thanks to this, I finally have the yellow name I've been waiting 6 years for. lol
Good job guys.

I do have a suggestion though. How about bonuses for reaching benchmarks of success? As in an extra 50 points for every 500 posts.
Or 20 points for every 50 likes you get?

I'd say the post count one may encourage spam posts though, so an incentive to make quality posts for more likes for more points sounds like a better option.

Garthcune
01-10-2015, 05:46 AM
This point system is actually a really good way to encourage forum activity. And thanks to this, I finally have the yellow name I've been waiting 6 years for. lol
Good job guys.

I do have a suggestion though. How about bonuses for reaching benchmarks of success? As in an extra 50 points for every 500 posts.
Or 20 points for every 50 likes you get?

I'd say the post count one may encourage spam posts though, so an incentive to make quality posts for more likes for more points sounds like a better option.
Thank you for this suggestion! New posts made from this point onward will give the following bonus amounts:

Dragonite
01-10-2015, 05:50 AM

I'd expect if the fact that we get points for posting at all doesn't encourage spam, an extra few here and there won't make much of a difference.

Oh, and Garth, does that mean "50 posts from this point forth," "100 points from this point forth," etc. or "when postcount==50," "when postcount==100?"

Zachgoose
01-10-2015, 06:06 AM
From this point forth. It's just something to help NEWER users out. Users with over 1000 posts already will not be eligible for these bonuses.

Blue
01-10-2015, 08:54 PM
To enourge post quality, how about more points for longer posts? 2 points if there's 40 words, 3 points for 65, 4 points for 100+ (it caps out at 4)

Also it should stack with the points you get for a new thread. For example if you start a new thread with more then 100 words in the first post, you would get 9 points (5+4)

Shaymin
01-11-2015, 12:38 AM
This is probably helpful. Used the colors directly from the skins, since the graphic in the op doesn't really represent the skin colors (sorry).

http://i.imgur.com/BnOxaBT.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/gG3tZfo.png

Closer inspection at teal and turquoise. Don't think it matters, but for those who care.

http://i.imgur.com/eIRtcQY.png

Prospering
01-11-2015, 12:52 AM
From this point forth. It's just something to help NEWER users out. Users with over 1000 posts already will not be eligible for these bonuses.

We have new users here?

Kyoits
01-11-2015, 01:09 AM
Thank you guys for working so hard on the system for us. I like the look of the market and overall you guys just did a fantastic job and I thank you for that. <333

Dragonite
01-11-2015, 03:40 AM
Just noticed something: a bunch of us updated our usertitles, but some parts of the site (at least, the member list, maybe more) still show the old ones. Uh? S:

Garthcune
01-11-2015, 08:01 AM
Oh, and Garth, does that mean "50 posts from this point forth," "100 points from this point forth," etc. or "when postcount==50," "when postcount==100?"
Yes, that's correct. As Zachary summarized; it's a feature to aid new users in getting points.

Just noticed something: a bunch of us updated our usertitles, but some parts of the site (at least, the member list, maybe more) still show the old ones. Uh? S:
Thanks for bringing this to attention. I'll work on making titles appear on the member's list. Are there any other pages that you know of, that display the usertitle?

Dragonite
01-11-2015, 05:31 PM
Thanks for bringing this to attention. I'll work on making titles appear on the member's list. Are there any other pages that you know of, that display the usertitle?

There may well be, but I don't remember any others. If I see any I'll let you know.

sonriopoby123
01-11-2015, 05:55 PM
Market system is the best <3 I dont need to buy anymore for now but will we see new additions to the market later on? Like holiday specials or something?

Zachgoose
01-11-2015, 06:00 PM
Actually I'll make a thread with future suggestions on what to add to the store. But yeah there will be seasonal discounts and stuff (something along the lines of 50% of name changes for people who want Christmas name changes stuff like that).

Aaron
01-11-2015, 06:05 PM
All I need now is to get enough likes to get up to 1,000 points. I NEED A BLOG /caps (poop)

BreeZaps
01-12-2015, 10:03 PM
Actually I'll make a thread with future suggestions on what to add to the store. But yeah there will be seasonal discounts and stuff (something along the lines of 50% of name changes for people who want Christmas name changes stuff like that).

Is it possible to program where if it's someone's birthday the person get 100 points and that person get a 10% discount on anything in the store for that day?

People could abuse it by changing there birthday but you could always make it so it can only happen once a year for that person.

Tainers14
01-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Is it possible to program where if it's someone's birthday the person get 100 points and that person get a 10% discount on anything in the store for that day?

That could get abused if people keep editing their birthday. You could do it by join date though if it's possible to code.

BreeZaps
01-12-2015, 10:16 PM
That could get abused if people keep editing their birthday. You could do it by join date though if it's possible to code.

I edited my post, read it. But yes join date is a good idea as well.

Dabottle
01-12-2015, 10:33 PM
eyanland cake day let's go

Oh right, my birthday is my join date. xD

BreeZaps
01-13-2015, 02:27 AM
If any of you have post points threw donating BECAUSE YOU TYPED THE USERNAME AND NOT THE ID BECAUSE YOU CAN'T READ! Go contact Zach in a PM to regain them.

Cutiepuffle
01-14-2015, 06:05 PM
Yeah, that should probably be fixed. Maybe implement something that only allows IDs in the database to be entered?

sonriopoby123
01-14-2015, 06:51 PM
Its easy to type in the ID number, just specify what it is first because we obviously dont know anything

Uzi
01-16-2015, 05:27 AM
I fixed blog posting privileges.

Don't be an idiot. Someone has to clean up your mess.

Blue
01-16-2015, 07:23 AM
http://i.imgur.com/BnOxaBT.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/gG3tZfo.png

After looking at these colors, I think it would be a good idea to have certain colors show up lighter or darker on midnight/metal themes, or be able to choose what colors show up between the metal and midnight skins.
For example, light grey, light blue, lime, gold and aquamarine looks really good on the midnight themes, but is almost unreadable on the metal themes.
Navy and indigo look fine on the white theme, but is unreadable on the midnight theme.

It would make reading usernames on this forum a lot less of an eye strain.

Dragonite
01-16-2015, 07:46 AM
Considering that there are very few colors that are legible without squinting on both types of skins and most are downright impossible on one or the other, yeah, that would probably be wise.

I'll say right now that there are some users who I've just started identifying by their avatars because I'm not going to try and make out what dark blue letters on black backdrop is supposed to spell.

Blade Lord Nayru
01-16-2015, 09:13 AM
I'll say right now that there are some users who I've just started identifying by their avatars because I'm not going to try and make out what dark blue letters on black backdrop is supposed to spell.

Sorry ;~;

I love how the red color is titled No . and Go Away

I've changed colors twice though, and it's too expensive for me to change to something else.