PDA

View Full Version : Guide to the Badge System

Zachgoose
08-05-2015, 03:59 AM
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/3/3f/DreamBadges.png

Notice those little Pokemon badges below users avatars on their posts? The badge system rewards users for their activity and contributions to the Pokecheats community. Gotta collect em' all! Badges will remain a secret until they are unlocked naturally by a user. After that, their name and requirements to obtain will be posted on the list below. More badges may be added in the future if all the below ones are discovered. It may take the system a few hours to recognize your achievement and give you your badge, so be patient. Highlight the badge to read more about it.

Kanto
1. Boulder Badge - Reach 10 Posts
2. Cascade Badge - Reach 50 Posts
3. Thunder Badge - Reach 100 Posts
4. Rainbow Badge - Reach 225 Posts
5. Soul Badge - Reach 350 Posts
6. Marsh Badge - Reach 500 Posts

Johto

Hoenn
1. Stone Badge - Be an Article writer who creates at least 5 articles for the front page.
2. Knuckle Badge - Be an active Tournament Proctor (purchased from the market)
3. Dynamo Badge - Donate to support the forums and have ads removed.
4. Heat Badge - Be Member of the Month!
5. Balance Badge - Place first in an official forum tournament.
6. Feather Badge - SS Veteran. You were an old member of superskarmory.net
7. Mind Badge - Be a Moderator
8. Rain Badge - Be an Administrator

Sinnoh

Oh and, there are a couple of custom badges which veterans of Pokecheats/Pokestation only have.

gl;hf

Blade Lord Nayru
08-05-2015, 05:13 AM
Uh, what about this badge? I'm pretty sure it's from Hoenn.

SFB
08-05-2015, 05:14 AM
Sounds cool. Reminds me of the old SS system a while back with posts.

Dragonite
08-05-2015, 05:16 AM
And where are all the Unova badges on this list? :L

BreeZaps
08-05-2015, 05:22 AM
Ohhh badges. This is a pretty cool system!

Prospering
08-05-2015, 05:23 AM
Winona Gym badge 10/10 taste.

Zachgoose
08-05-2015, 05:23 AM
Haven't coded or added the Unova badges yet but they will be added if I can think of more ways to unlock them.

Rocket
08-05-2015, 05:25 AM
I really like this badge system. Can't wait to find them all!

marissachu
08-05-2015, 05:45 AM
Also reminder that you can actually hover above the badge icons (sorry, mobile users) to see what the badge is! ^-^

sonriopoby123
08-05-2015, 07:38 AM
ill become melchior reincarnate and force the mods to add more

Merga
08-05-2015, 02:13 PM
Day 2: still no badges

I don't have the badges to train anybody. :^)

Aaron
08-05-2015, 03:50 PM
This is a really neat idea! It rewards people for being active on the forums and being a good presence, and I'm excited to earn more!

ozzi9816
08-05-2015, 04:03 PM
Ok, a couple questions:

Will we be able to change which badges are displayed over our names? Or is it just going to show all the badges we have? If that's the case, it might end up taking a lot of space.

Are the requirements for the badges just hidden until someone gets one, or is it you just haven't posted the requirements yet?

And thirdly, since I have 11 posts right now and no boulder badge, how long does it take for the badges to be awarded to users? Is it like a once-per-day check, or are they handed out on a case-by-case basis?

SSrocks
08-05-2015, 04:08 PM
And thirdly, since I have 11 posts right now and no boulder badge, how long does it take for the badges to be awarded to users? Is it like a once-per-day check, or are they handed out on a case-by-case basis?

the system automatically updates so just wait like an hour or so and you will have the boulder badge

Bricktoad
08-05-2015, 07:23 PM
we need a catholic badge - for catholic forum users

Zachgoose
08-05-2015, 07:27 PM
Ok, a couple questions:

Will we be able to change which badges are displayed over our names? Or is it just going to show all the badges we have? If that's the case, it might end up taking a lot of space.

Are the requirements for the badges just hidden until someone gets one, or is it you just haven't posted the requirements yet?

All badges are going to show, but it won't take up a terrible amount of space.

Example:
http://i.imgur.com/qsTVNU9.png

We may add a new "pick and choose" feature when people get 16+, but it'll still be over a year before that happens. After the Kanto set, most of the badges are very difficult to unlock. But as the original post said, once someone unlocks the badge, the requirements to get it will be publicly revealed. This system is in place to prevent people from "grinding" and doing the specific things needed just to obtain all of the badges.

SFB
08-05-2015, 08:05 PM
Quick question: for future badges after Kanto will the requirements be for how long you been on here for, amounts if likes etc?

marissachu
08-05-2015, 08:10 PM
Quick question: for future badges after Kanto will the requirements be for how long you been on here for, amounts if likes etc?

Without spoiling what the badges are, many of them are post-based but some are for being an active community member. Y'all will have to get involved with some schtuff on le forums to find out what that entails though!

I think this is okay for me to say, but no badges are time-based aside from the SS Veteran badge. Only based on achievement (otherwise we'd have tons of inactive users slowly accruing badges without ever lifting a finger anyway).

Tuxy
08-05-2015, 10:09 PM
Quick suggestion: If someone has a Cascade badge (50 posts) they very likely also have a Boulder badge (10 posts). Wouldn't it be better to only always show the highest of a kind reached?

marissachu
08-05-2015, 10:12 PM
Quick suggestion: If someone has a Cascade badge (50 posts) they very likely also have a Boulder badge (10 posts). Wouldn't it be better to only always show the highest of a kind reached?

I understand the reasoning to this but I think the point of the badges is to form a collection (like in the games/show). However, you'll start to notice that your "Member" badge also changes while you rack up posts, so that will always show the one for the highest amount you've been at.

ozzi9816
08-06-2015, 12:43 AM
Ok, I just saw this, but I'm guessing each region will have different requirements, like Kanto badges will probably revolve around making x posts, and Hoenn will probably involve a lot of special events. Something like that.

btw, should I be making a seperate thread for discussing these types of things?

Kyoits
08-06-2015, 03:43 PM
I like the new system. The concept of rewarding people for being even more active really is good idea and it should help form a greater community.

Dragonite
08-07-2015, 08:12 PM
(I don't know if this has been brought up yet or not) Would it be worth adding a badge for a certain amount of Like/Thanks, or would that just encourage people to post sarcastic one-liners even more than they already do?

brecot
08-08-2015, 12:23 AM
Ah... So it is a better version of the old color ranking system. Should be interesting....

ozzi9816
08-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Are all the requirements for badges already done? Like, if we do everything right, is it possible to unlock all the badges currently? Or are some still in the works? Because I want some Sinnoh badges

marissachu
08-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Are all the requirements for badges already done? Like, if we do everything right, is it possible to unlock all the badges currently? Or are some still in the works? Because I want some Sinnoh badges

They're all written out already! Some of them may require certain events that haven't occurred yet to take place, so you'll have to wait a bit on those, but the requirements have been decided.

BreeZaps
08-08-2015, 10:10 PM
Is there donation badges? It's fine if there isn't just wondering.

Edit: Oh there is! :)

Zachgoose
08-09-2015, 05:05 AM
The Sinnoh badges are all extremely hard to unlock and/or limited in quantity but they will be added when a user meets the requirements.

Minntul
08-09-2015, 05:59 AM
yes hello i am a completionist and i would to complain about the rain badge

0% win opportunity this forum is UNBALANCED

Zachgoose
08-09-2015, 07:16 PM
How about YOU do exceptional work for the site and go the extra mile and maybe you can become admin????

ozzi9816
08-09-2015, 07:22 PM
As a suggestion, I think it would be cool to have champion titles. So, for example, if Kanto badges are about making posts, the person with the most posts on the forums is the "Kanto Champion" and maybe the 4 runner-ups can be the "Elite 4" or something? If you wanna take it further, you could have 8 gym leaders for the 8 runner-ups after that. I know that's not really possible with the Hoenn badges or possibly some of the others, but I think something like that would encourage activity

marissachu
08-09-2015, 10:37 PM
As a suggestion, I think it would be cool to have champion titles. So, for example, if Kanto badges are about making posts, the person with the most posts on the forums is the "Kanto Champion" and maybe the 4 runner-ups can be the "Elite 4" or something? If you wanna take it further, you could have 8 gym leaders for the 8 runner-ups after that. I know that's not really possible with the Hoenn badges or possibly some of the others, but I think something like that would encourage activity

This is actually a really interesting idea! The problem for now is just that (since the forums JUST reopened) badges based on post rank are suuuuper close. So it's basically like an 18 way tie for second, with maybe two people tied for first. If it gets to the point of le old SS forums where there are clearly a few people leading the pack that might be nice, and I definitely think it could be cool for Johto/Hoenn.

Anywho, we'll see. I like this brainstorming and it's nice to see that people are thinking on their own about ways to increase activity and encourage posting! ^-^

ozzi9816
08-09-2015, 11:06 PM
marissachu

I meant maybe a kind of scroll like the Member or Admin ones, only with the title and maybe a pic of said champion/whoever. Speaking of which, would it be possible to change the Pokemon listed next to the Member title? Maybe once we got to a certain level of posts? I mean, naturally, some pokemon would be restricted like legendaries and Arceus, but I'd personally love to make mine a Froslass or Dunsparce. It just seems kind of redundant to track post count with badges and titles at the same time.

marissachu
08-09-2015, 11:40 PM
marissachu

I meant maybe a kind of scroll like the Member or Admin ones, only with the title and maybe a pic of said champion/whoever. Speaking of which, would it be possible to change the Pokemon listed next to the Member title? Maybe once we got to a certain level of posts? I mean, naturally, some pokemon would be restricted like legendaries and Arceus, but I'd personally love to make mine a Froslass or Dunsparce. It just seems kind of redundant to track post count with badges and titles at the same time.

Unfortunately, the way that the banners/title things work is that each is actually it's own file (like the pokemon is essentially glued to the background). As much as I'd love to say it could be a flexible thing, it takes me a decent amount of time to edit in each Pokemon and I don't really want to go through and make hundreds and hundreds of new banners, only for maybe 40 to get used (at most). I couldn't just enable everyone to go out and make their own because there'd be just.. so many issues with that.

Short answer, that part probably isn't going to be happening in the near future. The only real reason they even got included in the first place is because they're kind of cute and Pokecheats already had all of the member ones so I just had to photoshop the Mod/Admin ones. If I have a lot of spare time you might see more of the banner/title things for people that've done really cool stuff, but this probably won't be a priority. (I do agree it's a cool idea though, and definitely might consider it later on when I have a bit of time.)

Blade Lord Nayru
08-11-2015, 06:12 PM
At the risk of going further off-topic:

Now I suddenly want to make some banners. If I can make some decent ones and send them to you, would you consider using them?

Dragonite
08-11-2015, 07:45 PM
Unfortunately, the way that the banners/title things work is that each is actually it's own file (like the pokemon is essentially glued to the background). As much as I'd love to say it could be a flexible thing, it takes me a decent amount of time to edit in each Pokemon and I don't really want to go through and make hundreds and hundreds of new banners, only for maybe 40 to get used (at most). I couldn't just enable everyone to go out and make their own because there'd be just.. so many issues with that.

Short answer, that part probably isn't going to be happening in the near future. The only real reason they even got included in the first place is because they're kind of cute and Pokecheats already had all of the member ones so I just had to photoshop the Mod/Admin ones. If I have a lot of spare time you might see more of the banner/title things for people that've done really cool stuff, but this probably won't be a priority. (I do agree it's a cool idea though, and definitely might consider it later on when I have a bit of time.)

Done. You're welcome. Code is awesome: http://www.mediafire.com/download/7ssx3vvp75808y5/pcb.zip

preivew:

http://i.imgur.com/3xGXZHj.png

ozzi9816
08-11-2015, 11:42 PM
Well, I guess that solves that problem. At least, I hope so. Will these work, marissachu ?

marissachu
08-11-2015, 11:54 PM
Well, I guess that solves that problem. At least, I hope so. Will these work, marissachu ?

Uh, if Garth/Zach want to negotiate how to allow such a feature. I appreciate Dragonite's effort and obviously those appear suitable, but I was also only mentioning my own hesitations since I was the one who altered the admin/mod badges (which were non-existent before). It could be a cool feature but I don't even know how you would allow people to select their own Pokemon banner in terms of coding, etc.

tldr; They'd potentially work but I'll leave the decision up to someone who knows how to implement things like this.

Dragonite
08-12-2015, 04:54 AM
Lol, "effort." Let's call it that.

As for implementation, I'd suggest sticking some sort of drop-down in User CP that lets you select whichever Pokémon you want (or have unlocked via post count or whatever) or something. The list wouldn't be pretty but it would get the job done.

Zachgoose
08-25-2015, 08:08 AM
Decided to move this and other relevant forum threads here so they don't get clogged by the news system and you guys can see when someone unlocked a new badge.

Zachgoose
09-13-2015, 04:34 PM
Soul badge and Balance badge have been added! And guys, feel free to post in this thread of a new badge is unlocked by someone.

And the Johto badges weren't supposed to be this hard to unlock I swear...

sonriopoby123
09-13-2015, 05:30 PM
get rid of rp post count

Pokemon73
09-13-2015, 05:37 PM
When are Unova/Kalos gonna be added?

Aaron
09-13-2015, 05:48 PM
get rid of rp post count

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANTc

SuperSceptile
09-13-2015, 07:23 PM
Sonrio's just sad he doesn't have the most post count kappa.

Zachgoose
09-13-2015, 07:30 PM
When are Unova/Kalos gonna be added?

When we unlock most of all the others/I think of what they could be.

Dragonite
09-13-2015, 07:45 PM
get rid of rp post count

get rid of Maafia post count (i dont even know if that still even counts anymore but whatever)

sonriopoby123
09-13-2015, 07:49 PM
it doesnt.....

Dragonite
09-13-2015, 07:50 PM
problem solved

sonriopoby123
09-13-2015, 07:56 PM
this is injustice, one liners are being counted and my 5 paragraph posts in mafia arent

Dragonite
09-13-2015, 07:57 PM
bring that up with [redacted], all my rp posts are coming from a separate account

Aaron
09-13-2015, 08:10 PM
this is injustice, one liners are being counted and my 5 paragraph posts in mafia arent

THIS IS LITERALLY SCEPT IN THE RP BYE

Shaymin
09-13-2015, 08:20 PM
get rid of rp post count

Then my post count might as well be nonexistent, seeing as RP is a part of the creative section.

also how have we not banned this spamiobot123

SuperSceptile
09-13-2015, 08:44 PM
THIS IS LITERALLY SCEPT IN THE RP BYE

THIS IS TRUE BYE

Zachgoose
09-13-2015, 10:46 PM
It's okay, mafia can be worth posts again when the section comes back after the end of the current game :^)

Aaron
09-13-2015, 11:27 PM
But seriously, could we get an RP section where posts don't count, and then keep fanfictions/stories and art in the Creative Section and they could count for posts, since they normally don't go on for as long as an RP?

Starry
09-13-2015, 11:39 PM
So you're suggest a section where everything's made up and the posts don't matter?

I would also like two different sections for both Roleplay and the rest of the creative section. Mostly for the fact that a lot of the other threads are completely stomped by Tri-lake, but there are still a lot of threads there that try to be active.

I know that it wouldn't be practical to have a section for only one thread so far, but Tri-lake almost has 100 pages, 95 to be exact. AKA, 942 posts.

Zachgoose
09-14-2015, 02:17 AM
On the old site, roleplays were originally in the creative section and thrived, but when they were moved to their own section without post count, they just died off there.

For now, I would argue that the roleplays in the creative section on Pokecheats are being used for the enjoyment of the users, rather than simply being exploited for post count. Should that change in the future, I would certainly do something about it, but it isn't out of hand at the moment.

Starry
09-14-2015, 10:52 PM
I don't really mind if they get rid of post count or not, I'm more wishing that the threads that were in the creative section that aren't RPs wouldn't always be swamped by Tri-Lake, which is why I suggested a new section.

Or we could just have a Tri-Lake section Kappa.

sonriopoby123
10-09-2015, 10:33 PM
WHERED THIS HEAT BADGE COME FROM
edit: MARSH TOO

SSrocks
10-09-2015, 10:46 PM
marsh badge is reaching a certain amount of post
i guess you hit 500 posts

heat badge was member of month
if you hover it then you will know

i thought you knew this sonrio

sonriopoby123